ArrBeeBee

Videocard: Build by ATI Radeon 9800XT 256MB
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 3200+ S939
Mainboard: Shuttle SN95G5
Memory: Kingmax 2x512 PC3200
Soundcard: SB Audigy2 ZS Platinum
PSU:
Default 01-23-2004, 00:49 | posts: 12 | Location: LA

well, just to let you know, my msi 5900sp (se version) has the phillips 7108A encoder instead of some integrated encoder. I can't see if VIVO still works or not after the flash because i don't think my card can handle the 5950U speeds. It was giving me lines and dots after i flashed it, so i just flashed it back with my backup bios. However, I'm kind of wondering if it's possible that when i reflashed it with my original 5900SP bios, it didn't change the encoder settings, so the 5950U bios settings might've stayed behind. If this is true, then I'm guessing that my VIVO won't work either. I'll try out my VIVO once i get my cables back.

Old
  (#77)
Phoenix_Inferno
Maha Guru

Videocard: eVGA 8800 GTS 320MB
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6420
Mainboard: ASUS P5n-e SLi
Memory: Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 2x1GB C4
Soundcard: Logitech Z-2200 2.1 200W (400 max)
PSU: OCZ StealthXStream 600W
Default 01-23-2004, 01:46 | posts: 802 | Location: New York, NY

btw i just noticed this PM chouji sent me on the 20th.

Quote:
Yes i know, and im extremely sorry, but i was temp banned for a week a couple days ago, for getting in a arguement about some stuff.

i do appologise greatly its my stupidity that i cant help right now, but please PM me your questions then i will get back to you as soon as possible, then you can post my reply in case other people had the same question.
im extremely sorry.
just thought i should post it up since some people had the same question as me...

Old
  (#78)
SilentBomber

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 01-23-2004, 02:30 | posts: n/a

if anybody has a 5950 card with an integrated tv encoder (if they even exist), then a lot of people would be absolutely thrilled if you would make a back-up of your bios and host it....

Old
  (#79)
PaintballerGFX

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 01-23-2004, 05:40 | posts: n/a

I have an XFX FX5900 128mb 256bit

When I try to use NVFlash, i get the EEPROM error, and I don't know what to do. I can backup fine, but i can't write to the bios. I tries WFFLASH too, but that wasn't working for me either

Any tips?

Old
  (#80)
chris454
Member Guru

Videocard: WinFast A350 Ultra TDH MyVIVO flashed A380
Processor: AMD 2500+
Mainboard: Asus A7N8X deluxe
Memory: 1gig
Soundcard: SOUND BLASTER AUDIGY 2 ZS PLTM
PSU: dvd and cd burners
Default 01-23-2004, 05:45 | posts: 65 | Location: Texas

Ok i have the phillips 7108A , but check out this post
Harrymonk says his is working might PM him and see what he has.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread....5&pagenumber=1

chris454

Old
  (#81)
Chouji
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 19 inch flat screen
Processor: 500 gigabyte cpu, FAST!?
Mainboard: The case is black
Memory: Ram? Male sheep?
Soundcard: Sound card? Like a CD?
PSU: duh, wall socket
Default 01-23-2004, 18:23 | posts: 5,634 | Location: In a house, on a hill, by a road.

ok guys im so sorry, i got banned for a week..

To speed up a 5600u, just overclock, thats about it.

if you get errors with both nvflash and wfflash try

wfflash NM bios.rom

that might work, but maybe your bios is protected, it says how to deal with protected bios on the first page.

Vivo cards do sometimes get problems, i use the leadtek bios and i havent had any problems with, because the bios detects the My Vivo ability. if your having problems with it try another bios, msi or better yet gainward.

some people have to flash it a few times with a few different bios's before they find one that fits them just right.

Please post your questions again, so i will see them more recently thanks.

Old
  (#82)
Phoenix_Inferno
Maha Guru

Default 01-23-2004, 23:05 | posts: 802 | Location: New York, NY

Quote:
Originally posted by Phoenix_Inferno
Chouji, i have 2 questions.

1. Will i be able to flash a Leadtek 5900NU My ViVo?

2. How do i get a 98/ME boot disk? (i use windows XP)

o yea one more thing: I have only 4X agp, is that still ok? and is a 440PSU safe enough?
please answer ty. (w00t im gonna get that leadtek card once i get all of my chinese new years money)

[offtopic] how does my sig look [/offtopic]

Old
  (#83)
Chouji
Ancient Guru

Default 01-24-2004, 00:36 | posts: 5,634 | Location: In a house, on a hill, by a road.

1: yes stated in the first post of this thread leadtek cards can be flashed, and vivo is detected by the bios, you may have to try a few different bios's for it to work with the vivo.

2: besides creating one in windows 98, or i prefer the windows ME bootup disk, as it has boot to dos with cd rom support, which is a nice touch.

you can create a windows XP boot disk, but it may not work as well as a 98 or ME, boot disk, how ever i have had luck with them, when formatting a floppy you can choose Create an MSdos Start up disk. and then just eject the disk once its loaded and put in the disk with the flashing software ect,

Old
  (#84)
SilentBomber

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 01-24-2004, 03:20 | posts: n/a

okay I decided to be brave and flash my 5900 into a 5950... the problem is though that the bios on my video card is 63k and the leadtech 5950 bios from the website is 64k, so it gave me some sort of checksum error..... I'm wanting to use the leadtech one cuz my video card has "My VIVO" and so does the leadtech 5950, cuz I want to try to keep my VIVO working..... anybody know what I can do?

some ppl can get VIVO to work, and others cant.... I'm hoping mine works τΏτ

Old
  (#85)
SilentBomber

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 01-24-2004, 03:36 | posts: n/a

nevermind.... I didnt add the NM after the wfflash τΏτ

it works now.... faster speeds, and cooler temps.... I was skeptical at first.... I dunno about VIVO yet though... gonna find out soon enough...

Old
  (#86)
Phoenix_Inferno
Maha Guru

Default 01-24-2004, 04:21 | posts: 802 | Location: New York, NY

Quote:
Originally posted by Chouji
1: yes stated in the first post of this thread leadtek cards can be flashed, and vivo is detected by the bios, you may have to try a few different bios's for it to work with the vivo.

2: besides creating one in windows 98, or i prefer the windows ME bootup disk, as it has boot to dos with cd rom support, which is a nice touch.

you can create a windows XP boot disk, but it may not work as well as a 98 or ME, boot disk, how ever i have had luck with them, when formatting a floppy you can choose Create an MSdos Start up disk. and then just eject the disk once its loaded and put in the disk with the flashing software ect,
ok thanks for your help Chouji, now i just have to decide if i wanna flash it...

Old
  (#87)
kindbui

Videocard: Geforce 6800 GT
Processor: Athlon64 3800+
Mainboard: FN25 (shuttle Nforce4 chipset)
Memory: 2 x 1gb PC3200 cheapo 3-3-3 DDR
Soundcard: Sennheiser HD555
PSU:
Default 01-25-2004, 18:43 | posts: 42

howdy ho.. so i'm intrigued with this bios flashign stuff and i can find my way to do it all well and good
but everyone here is flashing 5900's, i have a 5800 (not ultra), is there any use for me to flash my bios? and if there is are there any reccomendations for which one to use?

edit: oh yeah and mine is an asus gfx 5800 i forget the exact model name

Last edited by kindbui; 01-25-2004 at 18:52.

Old
  (#88)
Phoenix_Inferno
Maha Guru

Default 01-25-2004, 22:50 | posts: 802 | Location: New York, NY

Quote:
Originally posted by kindbui
howdy ho.. so i'm intrigued with this bios flashign stuff and i can find my way to do it all well and good
but everyone here is flashing 5900's, i have a 5800 (not ultra), is there any use for me to flash my bios? and if there is are there any reccomendations for which one to use?

edit: oh yeah and mine is an asus gfx 5800 i forget the exact model name
u can flash any card, but i think u can only flash 5900 cards to a 5950.

Old
  (#89)
Chouji
Ancient Guru

Default 01-26-2004, 04:04 | posts: 5,634 | Location: In a house, on a hill, by a road.

you can flash a 5800non ultra to a 5800ultra, thats as high as you can go.

and on a different subject.

I been getting a few PMs on people with rom size problems, their card saying 63k, and the files being 65k and thats causing people problems.

Now im doubting these people have read the whole thread or related threads which would be an intelligent start before PMing me.

Now if what i already posted DID NOT work for you. i cant help you. i havent had much of a problem with file size, and the only one i had was fixed with wfflash.exe nm bios.rom, with that in mind anyone else whos had problems with file size but gotten past their problems OTHER then using NM, please post how you did it. At lease if i couldnt help i want the person needing help to get it somehow.

To many people look to me for answers. Pretty much everything i know on the subject i posted already.

ALOT of people ask about cross chipset flashing. like can i flash my 5600 with a 5700 ultra bios. the answer is NO.

can i flash a 5800 to a 5900 or 5950? NO you cant.

You can not flash a geforce 4 mx series card with a TI bios.

If your going to flash keep it in your chipset range!. The only reason a 5900 can be flashed to a 5950, is because its basicly the same chip, different numbers thats pretty much it. the 5600 and 5700 and 5800 are all separate chips.

The 5700 chipset is the only new one i noticed. the 5950 isnt new, but the 5700 is.

So please people, someone asked me if they could flash their card to a different chipset, i told them no, they decided to do it anyways, then got mad at me when it messed up their card. well wanna know what? TOO BAD! i warned him of what it would do, he didnt listen, his fault!.

Simple enough.

Old
  (#90)
SilentBomber

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 01-26-2004, 06:02 | posts: n/a

can a GF3 TI200 be flashed to a GF3 TI 500?? They are the same chip but with different frequencies, right? Or if I'm not mistaken, NVidia might have had some sort of bios lock or something... I dunno... I'm new to the world of video card bios flashing....

Old
  (#91)
Chouji
Ancient Guru

Default 01-26-2004, 07:54 | posts: 5,634 | Location: In a house, on a hill, by a road.

honestly not sure. i would figure over clocking would do just fine, only pre geforce 4 card i have is a visiontek gf3 non ti and thats just a junk card i happen to have laying around. havent tried to much with the gf3 ti cards. i guess you can try, if you have a pci video card or know how to blind flash in case.

Old
  (#92)
vladutz

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 01-26-2004, 14:55 | posts: n/a

I have a 9700NP right now and I'd like to buy a 5900XT and flash it to a 5950 but the only model I found comes from Gigabyte. Has anyone modded successfully one of those? What bios file does it require?

Later edit: I found a Prolink 5900 128MB also, so please let me know if it can be a good candidate for a bios flash.

Thanks

Last edited by vladutz; 01-26-2004 at 16:17.

Old
  (#93)
Chouji
Ancient Guru

Default 01-27-2004, 05:48 | posts: 5,634 | Location: In a house, on a hill, by a road.

look some of you guys arent listening to me. try to keep away from any nvidia card that says MX, XT, SE, and LX or anything like that. there are only 3 things that are clearly acceptable. Ultra! Ti, and non-ultra. thats it.

from what i have seen is the XT are ultra versions of the SE. maybe im wrong, but thats what i've seen so far

you said you would like to buy a 5900xt, but the XT in nvidia terns are different then ATI terms, ati XT means great, but nvidia XT means better then SE.

dont get a xt, just get a normal non ultra or ultra then flash it.

And leadtek and gainward are the only good bios's.. so people keep asking for which bios is the best as if there was a huge selection, there isnt, its leadtek or gainward. and then some others no one cares about such as msi.

Old
  (#94)
OuTbReAk

Videocard: Sapphire HD4870 512MB
Processor: Intel C2Q Q6600 @ 3Ghz
Mainboard: Gigabyte EP45-DS3
Memory: 2x2GB Team Elite DDR800
Soundcard: ALC889 + Inspire 5.1 5300
PSU: Nox 600w
Default 01-28-2004, 14:59 | posts: 17 | Location: Portugal

I tried to flash my Asus GeForceFX 5900NU with the A380U Bios using both WFFLASH and NVFlash and i couldn't do it =( With the first one I got a "Programming Error" I think thats how it was written (this happened when i was trying to backup the card Bios) so I didn't went any further with this one. Then I tryed NVFlash, did the backup fine but when it came to flash the new Bios I kept getting PCI Device - Vendor ID Mismatch even after using the cmd's which should avoid this =( I tryed erasing the Bios and then flashing but once again I got the very same error. I flashed the backup and it did fine (of course). Can anyone help me ? Where am I failing?

Regards

Old
  (#95)
Chouji
Ancient Guru

Default 01-29-2004, 06:01 | posts: 5,634 | Location: In a house, on a hill, by a road.

you cant remove the bios then flash, you can only overwrite it, so, try wfflash with the NM command or nvflash -f biosfile.rom -u -p

if that doesnt work, try to get more info on the error, like what it said exactly and when it occured during the proccess. and explain your process, you might have forgotten something.

Old
  (#96)
xXMrMeathooksXx
Maha Guru

Videocard: nVidia GTX 295's Quad sli
Processor: Intel i7 950 @ 4.18 ghz
Mainboard: ASUS P6T Deluxe V2
Memory: 12Gb DDR 3
Soundcard: X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS PCI-X
PSU: Thermaltake TP 1200w
Default 01-29-2004, 19:57 | posts: 922 | Location: Chico,California

(wwflash.exe NM A380U.rom) Thats all I did,it works perfect.I dident backup my old files for simplicity sake.Dont flash the XT,SE or LX cards its
ok to but the memory modules suck they are slow compared to the ultras and slower to the 5950.The slower models cant take the high bandwidth( due to the slower latency memory.(higher memory overclock=bandwidth)The higher latency chips dont like to be overclocked to high.This is why the Ultras and non's are the best specimens for this endevor,they use 2.2ns chips.

Old
  (#97)
fragglefart

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 01-29-2004, 21:15 | posts: n/a

Hi, you said the MSI 5900's are "testy and mean"
I have one and cant get it to flash. i tried every approach you have mentioned, with both the Leadtek bios, and the MSI5950 bios.
Do you have any ideas what i could be doing wrong, or any links to other discussions on this card?
I would try the MSI forum, but the mods there frown on this sort of discussion
Would a different bios be advisable?

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Old
  (#98)
Amadeus

Videocard: MSI 5900
Processor: Pentium 4 3GHz
Mainboard:
Memory: 2GB
Soundcard: Creative Audigy 2
PSU:
Default 01-30-2004, 01:52 | posts: 5

Quote:
Originally posted by fragglefart
Hi, you said the MSI 5900's are "testy and mean"
I have one and cant get it to flash. i tried every approach you have mentioned, with both the Leadtek bios, and the MSI5950 bios.
Do you have any ideas what i could be doing wrong, or any links to other discussions on this card?
I would try the MSI forum, but the mods there frown on this sort of discussion
Would a different bios be advisable?

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Not sure what you're having problems with. Try using the instructions from the beggining of this tread.

I have the MSI 5900 and I have flashed it with 3 different bioses (MSI 5950, Leadtek, gainward). All worked good and performance was better, temp was lower.

I went back to my MSI 5900 VIVO original bios because I could not get VIVO to work with any of them.

Old
  (#99)
-Cerberus-

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 01-30-2004, 06:10 | posts: n/a

I get flickering with the leadtek and gainward bios, and I can't flash back to my abit bios with wfflash cos it appears I need to be using a leadtek bios to flash to. NVFLASH gives me board id mismatch error....sheeeiit.

Old
  (#100)
Chouji
Ancient Guru

Default 01-30-2004, 07:44 | posts: 5,634 | Location: In a house, on a hill, by a road.

the board vender and ID is overwriten with the -u -p at the end of the NVflash command, after the flashing filename.

fragglefart you might be having a write protection block, its all stated in the front page of this thread.

Alot of people are posting without reading other peoples post completely, sure it might take a few mins or even an hour if you need to reread it a few times, but its all well worth it, print some out and study it if you have to.

i dont want people going into this and not understanding whats needs to be done..

"umm ok i type wfflash then umm... nW ok thats it im soo smart...." 1hour later "i cant get my card to flash i dont know whats wrong!"

You would be surprised... how many people go into this thinking they know everything and remembered the steps to get half way into it, and forget the next step then guess at it.

and theres no harm in putting different companies bios's all on one floppy, so if one doesnt flash just change the name of the file then try again..

alot of people forget the NM command when using wfflash. but if it doesnt work, TRY without the NM command. its different for everyone.

and the vivo thing. try this download the nvidia bios editor, you can save your bios to a backup in windows. then look at the subdevice ID, then write it down.. then open the leadtek or gainward bios you plan on flashing to your card, and set the subdevice ID to match that of your original stock bios.

That has fixed alot of vivo problems. i know, i recreated the bios's changing subdevice ID's to cause the problem then to fix it.

Though all my vivo problems were self caused rather then unexpected.

if For subvender ID you can choose one that matches the company, for BFG users, use 10DE which is nvidia default.

hope this helps.