Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 10-02-2003, 02:46 | posts: n/a

Quote:
Originally posted by -=CBK=-Myk3
Win2k has crashed on me 3 or 4 times too, and i've had it for like 3-4 years, Win2k SP4 is a great OS, along with Linux.

I'm sorry but I strongly disagree that XP Pro is a stable OS, I have seen XP Pro & XP Home Edition in action for hours on end, and they seem to be a LOT more crash prone (even with SP1!!!), I think that Win2k SP4 is the best OS for games (Compatability tab was on it before XP was even made!). I rest my case.
hi!
i have 2000 and i agree with you that 2000 is the BEST os for gaming without a shout of a doubt, im gaining 5-10 fps on games over xp. however, before, in finding the best setting for my rig, i tried out several sp's from ms, and each sp gave me slower performance...must be because more and more background services are being runned or something else. have u tried playing on ur win2000 without a sp?

Old
  (#52)
nm+
Don Cappuccino

Videocard: old
Processor: slow
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: small
Default 10-02-2003, 02:54 | posts: 10,418 | Location: Get off my lawn

If you don't install teh sps, tell me how the viruses are

Old
  (#53)
-=CBK=-Myk3
Master Guru

Videocard: PNY Geforce FX 5500 128mb 270/400 (Stock)
Processor: AMD Athlon XP 1800+ Palomino Core 1.53ghz
Mainboard: ECS K7S5A
Memory: 512mb PC2100/PC3200 (Nanya/Elixir) DDR RAM
Soundcard: Creative - Ensoniq ES1371 Soundcard/SBS20 Speakers
PSU:
Default 10-10-2003, 21:17 | posts: 239 | Location: United Kingdom

Hmm yes the only thing i've experienced without SP's are Corrupt Icons, thats it though!, anyway I can get rid of viruses easily.

Old
  (#54)
DrSiN
Ancient Guru

Videocard: GeForce GTX 560 Ti OC 1G
Processor: Core i5 2500K @ 4.9GHZ
Mainboard: MSI P67 GD53
Memory: 8GB Corsair 1600 CAS 7
Soundcard: Creative SB X-Fi Xtreme M
PSU: Corsair 800W
Default 10-16-2003, 22:28 | posts: 3,175 | Location: UK / Derbyshire

ive been using Xp since it launched.

i found that installing service packs caused jerkyness in games and longer boot and loading times
all i use now is Winxp Pro with about 25 services disabled

this cut loading time for mirc 6.03 by 25 ms might not sound like a lot but its takes me 1.6 seconds to load it and thats quite a big cut from just dropping some unused services

Old
  (#55)
ROMA_TUROK
Master Guru

Videocard: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670
Processor: i5-3470 3.20GHz
Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H
Memory: 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600MHz
Soundcard:
PSU: 650 W
Default 11-10-2003, 22:54 | posts: 151

DrSiN what the service you disable?
You have web site for explaining what the service disable?

Old
  (#56)
locki

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 11-11-2003, 08:56 | posts: n/a

i dont get viruses, nor worms, because my system is secured and dont need such sps...

Old
  (#57)
Phoenikx
Master Guru

Videocard: Myself
Processor: Myself
Mainboard: Myself
Memory: Myself
Soundcard: Myself
PSU: Myself
Default 11-20-2003, 10:23 | posts: 590 | Location: Kaleidoscope

Dave ...

In gaming, no any other OS can compete with :
* Windows98

Old
  (#58)
-=CBK=-Myk3
Master Guru

PSU:
Default 11-30-2003, 11:02 | posts: 239 | Location: United Kingdom

Aren't IBM supporting Linux now, and people say Linux is unpopular BAH, my dad managed to persuade people at his workplace to start using Linux, & it is a success.

Old
  (#59)
-=CBK=-Myk3
Master Guru

PSU:
Default 11-30-2003, 11:03 | posts: 239 | Location: United Kingdom

Oh yeah, my dad uses a Sony VAIO at his workplace & he has it connected to a 15" TFC LCD Monitor by Dell, he says he has major problems with XP & I believe him because I have tried doing some stuff on his Laptop & the amount of errors he gets is ridiculous, plus he has a motion-sensing camera on his laptop & XP deleted the ****ing drivers so we can't use it anymore, I hate XP.

Old
  (#60)
JeyNyce
Maha Guru

Videocard: Galaxy 670GTX 4GB OC
Processor: I7-3820 Sandy Bridge-E
Mainboard: INtel DX79SI
Memory: CORSAIR XMS3 32GB
Soundcard: SB Z & Bose Speakers
PSU: 850 Watt PSU
Default 12-02-2003, 19:53 | posts: 1,950 | Location: New York

IMNO Win2K SP4 Is the most stable OS out there. I'm using it for my gaming rig. It's nice and basic. It doesn't have all the "window dressing" like XP has.

Old
  (#61)
SHIVAN484
Master Guru

Videocard: Gtx 480 + 9800gt (physx)
Processor: Core i7 860
Mainboard: Gigabyte
Memory: 8192 DDR2
Soundcard:
PSU: Thermaltake
Default 12-08-2003, 07:32 | posts: 181 | Location: West Australia

Having access to all the operating systems excluding 2k3 I would have to recommend xp as the generically best os for gaming. second runner up 98se if your system specs are a touch lower. Xp is simply more stable has a better use of memory and resources and can be cut back to the simplicity of 2k easily. 2k suffers from driver support and software compatability issues more than xp . and win 98 isnt as stable . I currently have 2k , nt4, linux rh7, mandrake 9 , 98, me, 95c, 3.11 for workgroups , dos v2.1 on and beos all installed for work and get to play with them all a great deal . For modern hardware XP for older systems the os that best suits ur specs and doesnt use all ur cpu cycles

Old
  (#62)
Morbid Angel
Member Guru

Videocard: Sapphire HD3870
Processor: Core2Duo E8600
Mainboard: Asus Maximus Formula
Memory: 8GB 6-6-6-18 DDR2-800
Soundcard: ADI 1988B On-board
PSU: Antec TruePower Trio 550
Default 12-29-2003, 14:06 | posts: 126 | Location: Netherlands

I just trashed Win98SE because it was heavily polluted over the two years since the last install (and it barely survived two motherboard upgrades), and driver updates are running behind.
I was running a W2K/98SE multiboot, W2K for office apps, video editing and internet, and 98SE for games. I decided to install W2K a second time and get rid of 98SE.

Problem:
Games generally don't like more than one CPU (benchmarks and game performances are much lower), and HT was enabled in the BIOS and SMP support was functioning in the other W2K. By installing W2K a second time, it would detect the "second CPU" and use it.

Solution:
I disabled HT in the BIOS and set the PIC/APIC setting to PIC. I installed the second W2K, installed the drivers and the service packs, and then enabled HT and APIC again.

Now I have one W2K for games without SMP support and the plain old 16 IRQs, and one W2K with SMP support and 24 IRQs for office apps and video editing. I never have to disable APIC & HT before booting to the Games W2K and I don't have to re-enable them again to boot to the Office W2K. Both operating systems run fine without BSODs or other crashes. And I don't have to "pollute" my office installation with games or "pollute" the games installation with office apps.

Old
  (#63)
Bl@ck_Thorne
Master Guru

Videocard: GTX 1060 Jetstream 6GB
Processor: AMD FX 8350 Vishera
Mainboard: ASRock 990FX Extreme 9
Memory: 16Gb G.skill Ripjaws X
Soundcard: Integrated Realtek ALC898
PSU: Corsair CS750M 80+ Gold
Default 01-26-2004, 04:30 | posts: 454 | Location: Manila

i prefer win2k3 server because of the great ferpormance in games rather than xp and 2k

Old
  (#64)
HoDragon

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Talking 02-15-2004, 20:52 | posts: n/a

i'm sorry to burst some bubbles, but this needs to be said.

First off, win 2000 adv server is in my opinion the best MS operating system. because of the tools, and multiple processor support. and with the sp's it is stable as hell and efficient if tweaked right.

ME is a flippin joke, they tried to make 98 fancy and created a memory hogging, blue screening hunk of ****.

windows xp home and pro, were both rushed to release, even with the service packs and hot fixs... it is still a waste of ****ing time.

if MS actually put thought into there development, there would be a "gaming os" already releases.

but sadly, i doubt we will ever see something come from them that can actually stand up to linux or unix.

Re: thought I would move this here
Old
  (#65)
br0adband
Member Guru

Videocard: PNY GF FX 5900 Ultra (FX5900SE price)
Processor: P4 3.0C
Mainboard: Intel D865GBF
Memory: Kingston 512MB DDR400 dual channel
Soundcard: Bose MediaMates
PSU:
Default Re: thought I would move this here - 02-18-2004, 21:48 | posts: 69 | Location: Norfolk, VA

Quote:
Originally posted by Ojibewa
Here is some interesting info I came across after 2 days of testing..

Test rig specs are to the right in my profile

I tested Battlefield 1942 on both XP Pro and Win98se

CPU Usage

win98se 60%
winxp 98%

Temp IDLE

win98se 32c
winxp 43c

Temp LOAD

win98se 38c
winxp 48c

Here's what worries me about those temps: I think you've got them backwards.

Mind you, I could be wrong here, but one point that most people miss when running 9x is this: The OS itself causes CPUs to RUN HOTTER than their NT/2K/XP/2K3/Unix/FreeBSD/Linux/etc etc counterparts. 9x does not issue HLT (HALT) instructions to the CPU when it's idle to turn off unneeded parts of the CPU. In other words, right from booting the PC, as soon as 9x starts to load after POST your temps will max out as though the PC was under a full load constantly, 24/7.

NT/2K/XP/2K3/Unix/FreeBSD/Linux/etc all have a thread that runs as part of the basic OS itself that issues HLT (HALT) instructions meaning the CPU runs much cooler. This is a proven fact and if necessary I can provide plenty of links to back up this important and neglected point.

If you're running something on 9x like Rain or CPU-Cool or CPUIdle to keep a HLT thread running, that's fantastic, but I still think you got the temps reversed or they're just plain old inaccurate in the first place.

At the Desktop in 9x, even with no programs being run (I'm not talking about the OS itself, I mean user-activated programs, I think you know what I mean), 9x will pretty much max out your temps constantly.

At the Desktop in NT/2K/XP/2K3/Unix/FreeBSD/Linux/etc, you won't see the same temps, you'll see proper idle temps.

Hope this helps,
br0adband

Old
  (#66)
br0adband
Member Guru

Videocard: PNY GF FX 5900 Ultra (FX5900SE price)
Processor: P4 3.0C
Mainboard: Intel D865GBF
Memory: Kingston 512MB DDR400 dual channel
Soundcard: Bose MediaMates
PSU:
Default 02-18-2004, 21:55 | posts: 69 | Location: Norfolk, VA

Quote:
Originally posted by HoDragon
i'm sorry to burst some bubbles, but this needs to be said.

First off, win 2000 adv server is in my opinion the best MS operating system. because of the tools, and multiple processor support. and with the sp's it is stable as hell and efficient if tweaked right.
Uhmmm... ok, so what you're saying (or what you just said there) is that Win2K/Win2K Server/XP Pro/Windows Server 2003/etc etc are all sucktastic because... they don't use multiple processors?

EH?

Might wanna check your facts before posting something like that because all of them support 2 processors, the Advanced Server versions support more than that -- but really, how many people run Quad CPU 'puters at home... and why would you bother running a game on it, for bragging rights?

br0adband

EDIT: Mind you, I'm not saying Win2K AdvServer isn't a nice OS, I'm just saying that you should be careful making a statement like the one you made because it's so open to interpretation that it might cause someone to wonder what you were thinking... as I did.

Old
  (#67)
Madax
Master Guru

Videocard: Powercooler X800GT 256
Processor: AMD Athlon™ 64 3500+ Venice
Mainboard: ASUS A8AE-LE
Memory: 2GB PC3200 @ 400
Soundcard: Who Cares..
PSU:
Default 02-19-2004, 18:13 | posts: 492 | Location: Charlotte, NC

Quote:
First off, win 2000 adv server is in my opinion the best MS operating system.
For running a business, yes.

For playing games, hell no.

Old
  (#68)
GKZ
Maha Guru

Videocard: XFX Radeon 4890 1GB
Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 955
Mainboard: ASUS M4A79T Deluxe
Memory: CORSAIR XMS3 8GB
Soundcard: Integrated; Altec Lansing
PSU: SeaSonic M12 SS-700HM 700
Default 02-21-2004, 06:31 | posts: 801 | Location: Troy, Ohio

Undoubtably XP is best...followed by 2k, every other Windows OS *SUCKS*, exceptionally crappy ME, this is from my personal opinions and experience...this xp box with great hardware and xp has NEVER fully crashed, only had minor crashes that were so EASILY recoverable

Old
  (#69)
LouieV
Master Guru

Videocard: EVGA GTX 560 1024mb
Processor: Intel Core 2 Dou E7500
Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P
Memory: G.SKILL PI Black 8GB (4 x
Soundcard: X-FI XMusic + Z5300e 5.1
PSU: Antec TruPower Trio 650
Default 03-11-2004, 10:49 | posts: 186 | Location: Austin, TX

Up until a few days ago, I would have said that Windows 2000 Pro was the best OS for gaming. I actually would have said WinXP was just another chance to experience the horror of ME. But changes at work mean, I must now support it.

I finally broke down and bought Win XP Pro and loaded it on my home PC. After tweaking Win XP for performance and putting it to the test, my opinion has changed.

3D Mark 2001 benchmarks scores are pretty much the same as what I was getting in 2000, however I have a higher lowest resolution in XP. In 2000, I used to benchmark at 640x480. In XP, my lowest resolution is 800x600. But the benchmarks scores are very close.

The real difference I see is while playing games, I see huge gains in FPS over what I was getting in 2000, even with AA, AF turned on. Image quality is great. Using FRAPS, in 2000, it seemed all my games framerates were limited to 60 max. With XP, it's like that limitation is gone, I'm seeing much higher frame rates than I was before.

With 2000, when playing some games, I had a problem with refresh rates at high resolutions. Had to use a utility to force refresh rates. With XP that issue is gone.

I have had no driver or stability issues with either OS.

My opinion is Windows XP (properly tweaked) = Best OS for gaming.

Last edited by LouieV; 04-29-2004 at 09:45.

Old
  (#70)
stuartt

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 03-24-2004, 23:37 | posts: n/a

With all of the security bugs in Windows 2000/XP and the program compatibilty issues in Windows XP, I'm sticking to Windows ME. Remember that Windows ME has System File Protection and System Restore from Windows 2000/XP, so it isn't that un-stable. Windows ME has been rock-solid for me and I have never had any OS issues with it - I guess it must depend upon how well-behaved your applications are. Windows ME does sometimes get a bit twitchy over drivers, so you ought to use ones that are specifically compatible (WDM drivers are supported in Windows ME, again another feature taken from Windows 2000). So, Windows ME has all of the compatibility of Windows 95/98/98SE and elements of stabilty from Windows 2000/XP - it is a good choice for home users IMHO.

Old
  (#71)
AlecRyben
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 5x580 2x590 2x780Ti 1x970
Processor: 6xXeonX5675 (three PCs)
Mainboard: 2xSM X8DAL 1xASUS Z8NA-D6
Memory: 3x(6x16Gb) DDR3R 1333 ECC
Soundcard: Medusa USB 5.1 headset
PSU: Seasonic,Tagan,Corsair1KW
Default 03-28-2004, 15:03 | posts: 7,776 | Location: Utopia Planitia, Mars

Windows 2000 Pro SP4 by default is 10%-20% faster & more stable than the default XP home & pro. That's a fact. There are a lot of tests on the net that prove it - especially when tested with different versions of MS Office -> Win XP + Office XP is the slowest combo of them all!!!

XP is overbloated & loaded with stuff that should be optional. And i hate the spyware that became part of the system. I also hate that the "new" bloated media player is installed by default (as it turns out, so does EU )
I definitely prefer the classic 6.X media player (which works with all new WMV codecs too).

It's funny that some say they have driver problems with W2K and not with XP - come on, ppl - the driver model is the actually the same! That's why 99,99% of all drivers have a 2000/XP signature...

You can tweak the XP to beat the W2K easily, but remember, you can also tweak W2K too...

Old
  (#72)
SaberJ2X
Maha Guru

Videocard: Galaxy 670GTX GC
Processor: i5 6600K 4.2Ghz @ 1.155v
Mainboard: Gigabyte Z170 HD3P
Memory: 8GB DDR4 DC 2400Mhz
Soundcard: onboard
PSU: Forstress 550W platinum
Default 03-28-2004, 15:31 | posts: 2,450 | Location: Mayaguez, PR

Windows 2000 PRO-
PROS:
Faster Gaming
Light
installs faster
CONS
(all things when you where used to XP )

Windows XP Home or PRO-
PROS:
newbie friendly
fairly easy to tweak
CONS:
TOO MUCH UNEEDED CRAP FOR 1337 PEOPLE!
LUNA IS SLOW AS HELL

Windows 2003 SERVER
PROS:
unbeatable HDD performance
Unbeatable net code
faster than XP
CONS:
needs 1 hour of tweaking after install
updates actually KILLS it
some compat problems
how did you get it

in GENERAL
PROS:
NT Kernel
CONS:
they all need to disable DCOM

Old
  (#73)
gigabyte
Master Guru

Videocard: Dual Nvidia Geforce 6600 GT
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 3500+
Mainboard: MSI KN8 Diamond Nvidia Nforce 4 SLI
Memory: Corsair XMS PC3200 Platinum/Silver 512mb*2
Soundcard: Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
PSU: Creative DVD 24x
Default 04-04-2004, 21:41 | posts: 366 | Location: Pakistan

This site is very good 100 outta 100 points from me.

Old
  (#74)
Finchwizard
Don Apple

Videocard: -
Processor: -
Mainboard: -
Memory: -
Soundcard: -
PSU: -
Default 04-17-2004, 04:15 | posts: 16,440 | Location: Locked in Guru3D Server Room. Help!

I would stick to Windows 2000 with all the latest Service Packs and all Upgrades.

Or

Windows XP (Home or Pro) with all the latest Service Packs and Upgrades.

Mainly because, the difference in the end between the NT kernel based OS's and 9x's machines, is probably so small. (If you test over 50 games, 1 or 2 tests of a game is not sufficient)

Please let us all make sure our OS's are up to date and virus free, because lets try and cut down on all vunlerbilities. The OS may not be perfect but lets keep it up to date and try.

Old
  (#75)
letch

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 05-24-2004, 13:16 | posts: n/a

I beleave RedhatFedoraLinuxCore2 i use maybe bad but Can I take a message?