Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > Videocards > Videocards - AMD Radeon Catalyst Drivers Section
Videocards - AMD Radeon Catalyst Drivers Section In this section you can discuss everything AMD Catalyst related. Catalyst drivers are for all AMD based graphics cards and APUs.

SCREEN FLICKERING/FLASHING on R9 390
Old
  (#1)
AT90

Videocard: Sapphire r9 390
Processor: i7 4790
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: Corsair CS750M
Default SCREEN FLICKERING/FLASHING on R9 390 - 06-14-2017, 15:08 | posts: 2

since more than a week I have been facing screen flickering issue on my Sapphire r9 390 which is accompanied by device attachment/detachment sound. This flickering even persists when i remove all of my usb devices(keyboard, mouse) and I have tried changing my VGA cable along with hdmi to VGA converter.

I have tried upgrading my software to the latest driver available and tried few old versions of the drivers. At that time I had Windows 10 Pro as my operating system. I reinstalled Windows 10 and upgraded it to the latest version in an attempt to solve this issue. The only step that seems to solve this issue is disabling the AMD Radeon R9 390 Series display adapter from device manager.

I thought this could be a Windows 10 problem and on 10th june I reverted back to Windows 7 Professional, however I am facing the same issue. Even In Windows 7 the problem would only be resolved when i disable the AMD display adapter from device manager.
(Disabling Intel HD Graphics 4600 only doesn't solve this issue).

The screen flickering is not continuous, It is random, usually starts within 30 minutes of bootup. As it starts occurring, I disable AMD adapter for few minutes and re enable it. This usually resolves the problem until sometime. The possibility of bad HDMI Output of my gpu is also ruled out as screen flickering occurred even when I connected my LCD to motherboards VGA output(while my gpu adapter was enabled). Also I do not overclock any of my system's components.
System Configuration:
Motherboard: GA-H97 HD3
CPU: Intel i7 4790
Memory: Kingston 8GB DDR3
GPU: Sapphire R9 390
VBIOS: 113-2E3240U-X4A
Driver: Crimson 17.6.1
OS: Windows 7 Professional (version 6.1 build 7601 SP1)
Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 943SNX Plus

One important thing, while I was on Windows 10 and i used to disable AMD graphic adapter from device manager, somehow graphic card would still provide display but screen flickering would stop. This is confusing as I have tried different operating systems and different version of graphic drivers so it doesn't look like software issue. But if it is hardware issue, shouldn't there be screen flickering even after disabling the graphic adapter from device manager?

Last edited by AT90; 06-14-2017 at 18:35.

Old
  (#2)
dante96

Videocard: AMD Radeon R9 280X
Processor: Intel Core i7-7770k
Mainboard: Asus Tuf Z270 Mark 1
Memory: G.Skill DDR4 TridentZ
Soundcard:
PSU: BeQuiet!
Default 06-20-2017, 14:52 | posts: 10

To be sure that the flickering issue is caused by GPU just remove it and use temporarily Intel integrated graphics. If no flickering try to remount your gpu again, update mb's bios, clear cmos (and eventually clean install with official iso - suggest win10 creators update). If still flickering mobo or display is the issue. Let me know.

Old
  (#3)
Chastity
Master Guru

Videocard: Sapphire Nitro 390 BP
Processor: Intel i7 950@4GHz
Mainboard: Rampage III Black X58
Memory: 6GB Dominators 1600
Soundcard: X-Fi USB HD
PSU: CM Silent Gold 1200
Default 06-20-2017, 16:22 | posts: 576

you are losing video signal integrity with your monitor. Since you have changed the cable, then it's with the VGA port on the monitor, or with the circuit board the port is connected to internally.

Old monitor is old.

The reason it doesn't flicker when using Windows basic driver, is because the bandwidth load is a lot less, and probably not using the pinout that is marginal.

Last edited by Chastity; 06-20-2017 at 16:26.

Old
  (#4)
AT90

Videocard: Sapphire r9 390
Processor: i7 4790
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: Corsair CS750M
Default 06-23-2017, 13:23 | posts: 2

I've had my GPU installed in a completely different system and It's still causing flickering issues. It is definitely a hardware issue so I am going to RMA it soon. Thank you for your help.

Old
  (#5)
Chastity
Master Guru

Videocard: Sapphire Nitro 390 BP
Processor: Intel i7 950@4GHz
Mainboard: Rampage III Black X58
Memory: 6GB Dominators 1600
Soundcard: X-Fi USB HD
PSU: CM Silent Gold 1200
Default 06-24-2017, 04:46 | posts: 576

Good luck on your RMA. I found them to be straight-forward, but the initial setup for an RMA request is a little bit lolwtf being all done via email.

Tags
graphic problem, sapphire, screen flicker