Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > General Chat > The Guru's Pub
The Guru's Pub Hang out with Guru3D's staff and other visitors, have a nice civilized chat, nothing hardware related though !

Closed Thread

What exactly is a Safe-space...My Home?
Old
  (#1)
airbud7
Ancient Guru

Videocard: MSI RX 480 ARMOR 4G OC
Processor: i7-2600k (Thanks sykozis)
Mainboard: ASRock H61icalf
Memory: 8GB G.S DDR3 1600 --TK--
Soundcard: Xonar DX
PSU: PC Power&Cooling S61EPS
Default What exactly is a Safe-space...My Home? - 05-25-2017, 20:34 | posts: 4,237 | Location: Beech Island SC,USA

I here it all the time on the news that people want a "Safe-space" and i'm lost as to what it means?...Shouldn't people that want a place to be safe just go Home?... or move to a safer place?

is the world that dangerous in there mind?...if it is why don't they just go home...I don't understand...

Old
  (#2)
lucidus
Ancient Guru

Videocard: MSI Gaming X GTX 1070
Processor: i7 6700K 4.5Ghz 1.28v
Mainboard: Asus Maximus 8 Hero
Memory: Vengeance 32GB 3000Mhz
Soundcard: Onboard + H/K Soundsticks
PSU: 850W EVGA Supernova
Default 05-25-2017, 20:39 | posts: 9,967

Old
  (#3)
airbud7
Ancient Guru

Default 05-25-2017, 20:54 | posts: 4,237 | Location: Beech Island SC,USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucidus View Post

Dude that was brilliant^...Thanks!...But i have always went/gone to my favorite pub/bar/restaurant/ place to shop and I didn't care what people thought and heck it never entered my mind...Why it matter now?

I never any of these people btw.

Old
  (#4)
scatman839
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 7970m/970 Mini, KD55XD800
Processor: i7 3610QM/i5 6500
Mainboard: HM77/B150M-C
Memory: 12GB D3/16GB D4
Soundcard: Via HD, x-530
PSU: 180w/RM650x
Default 05-25-2017, 21:04 | posts: 13,103 | Location: Scotland

Boils down to pretty much an educational institute or classroom that won't tolerate bigotry or sexism against whatever gender whoever identifies with. Openness and accepting attitudes.

It's a slippery slope to censorship and zero tolerance policies.

Old
  (#5)
airbud7
Ancient Guru

Default 05-25-2017, 21:22 | posts: 4,237 | Location: Beech Island SC,USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman839 View Post
Boils down to pretty much an educational institute or classroom that won't tolerate bigotry or sexism against whatever gender whoever identifies with. Openness and accepting attitudes.

Thank you scatman^ you are smart....But will it help in real life work environment? having a Safe-space?

Old
  (#6)
Loophole35
Ancient Guru

Videocard: EVGA 1080ti SC
Processor: 2600k@4.8 w/ NH-D15S
Mainboard: P8Z77-V
Memory: G-Skills ddr3 16GB@1866
Soundcard: SoundBlaster Z
PSU: TX850
Default 05-25-2017, 21:37 | posts: 8,328 | Location: FLA,USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbud7 View Post
Thank you scatman^ you are smart....But will it help in real life work environment? having a Safe-space?
No but thick skin will. We live in a time where everyone is offended by everything. Unless of-course you claim your a comedian then everything is fair game and there are no consequences to your words.

Old
  (#7)
RzrTrek
Maha Guru

Videocard: RX580 (8GB)
Processor: i5-7600K
Mainboard: PRIME Z270-A
Memory: 16GB
Soundcard: ALCS1220A
PSU: RM750x
Default 05-25-2017, 21:50 | posts: 928 | Location: Stockholm, Sweden

It's supposed to be a place where people can't criticize or hurt your feelings, in other words, 1984.

Old
  (#8)
airbud7
Ancient Guru

Default 05-25-2017, 21:50 | posts: 4,237 | Location: Beech Island SC,USA

I work as a residential electrician in the deep south and my co worker is a black man/ love him and his family(dam good man)....

I guess things are different elsewhere... We laugh sometimes because he voted for H and I voted for T but all is still good...

in fact we F**k with each other everyday and its fun/ makes the day go by faster/ Lol

Last edited by airbud7; 05-25-2017 at 21:56.

Old
  (#9)
scatman839
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 7970m/970 Mini, KD55XD800
Processor: i7 3610QM/i5 6500
Mainboard: HM77/B150M-C
Memory: 12GB D3/16GB D4
Soundcard: Via HD, x-530
PSU: 180w/RM650x
Default 05-25-2017, 21:50 | posts: 13,103 | Location: Scotland

Quote:
To some of the insane degrees as we see in america? Well it depends on how your country is, and what job you are in, what sort of work environment it is.

A builders site that is 100% male employed (not through disallowing women, just that they have a reputation and perhaps a woman may not like it) may not give a damn about sexism. Far less than an office workplace with a nearer 50/50 split.

I had previously worked for 10 years in a catering job that was more woman orientated in it's employees, and all the senior, supervisor and many of the management positions were 50+ y/o women (yet most of all the chefs were male). I personally experiences some degree of sexism, but more ageism, yes, it can work on a younger person. Getting belittled cause my back was messed up working manual labour because gossipy 50 year old women had it worse than me and that I can't be in pain because i'm a young man.

Current job, 50/50 split pretty much all the way up. You can say what you like if you trust the person but it's an open office environment. Ears are everywhere, not in a prying way, but overhearing because there are no walls.

For example, one guy was recently fired for saying very much along the lines of "some girls in here could do with a good raping". As in, there's some good looking women there (and there is). Of course, he said this at reasonable volume in the middle of the break area with quite a lot of other people at seats outside of his small table area. Reported about 5 times from different people, all reporting the same thing from different locations.

Asked to explain himself in front of a tribunal, said it was a joke, couldn't accurately describe how that is a joke and was promptly fired after going off "sick with stress" for 4 days in a row.

In reality, don't make stupid comments. You wouldn't be openly racist in a workplace and expect to keep your job, so don't be openly sexist/transphobic/whatever regardless of your views. Keep them to yourself, or joke about it in absolute confidence with someone you trust and shares your views and don't assume everyone shares your views.

Britain as a country would never accept this sort of safe space thing, Theresa May herself has been critical of the idea. Just like how britain does not have racial quotas for jobs.

Last edited by scatman839; 05-25-2017 at 21:55.

Old
  (#10)
airbud7
Ancient Guru

Default 05-25-2017, 22:18 | posts: 4,237 | Location: Beech Island SC,USA

I managed major restaurants here in the 1980's-mid 90s and I can tell you that women are a pain in the ass vs men....I seen 3 women fight over the same man that was my top cook and he had a 4th woman they had no clue about and they were mad as hell cause he left them for her/

He had to quit to keep her...It is what it is.

Old
  (#11)
H83
Maha Guru

Videocard: Asus ROG Strix GTX1070
Processor: I5 7600K @5.0Ghz (1.28V)
Mainboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F
Memory: G.Skill DDR4 16G 3200Mhz
Soundcard: ROG SupremeFX
PSU: Corsair RM850i
Default 05-25-2017, 22:21 | posts: 1,906 | Location: Mars

Quote:
Originally Posted by RzrTrek View Post
It's supposed to be a place where people can't criticize or hurt your feelings, in other words, 1984.
So this is really a "concept" that exists in real life?...

Old
  (#12)
jbmcmillan
Maha Guru

Videocard: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX970
Processor: i5 2500k@4.4 GHZ.
Mainboard: Asus P8 z77 vl-k
Memory: Gskill 2x4GB 1600 DDR3
Soundcard: Onboard realtek
PSU: OCZ 1000 watt Z series
Default 05-25-2017, 22:34 | posts: 2,266 | Location: Langley,B.C. Canada

Quote:
"some girls in here could do with a good raping"
Glad he got fired that isn't even a joke no matter how you slice it. While I think people are overly sensitive at times that isn't one of them.

Old
  (#13)
Clouseau
Maha Guru

Videocard: MSI RX 480 Gamming
Processor: Ryzen 1700X
Mainboard: ASUS Crosshair VI Hero
Memory: F4-3600C16D-16GTZ @ 3466
Soundcard:
PSU: Seasonic SSR-1200PD
Default 05-25-2017, 22:39 | posts: 1,762

And to think it all started with changing ethnic jokes into dumb blonde jokes, Ebonics, banning of tag and dodgeball, participation awards, "graduation" ceremonies from kindergarten and/or grade school, lack of score keeping at children's sporting events, and the most egregious of all "pc" movement. We no longer have mailmen, firemen, policemen, or garbage men. Instead we have postal carriers, firefighters, law enforcement officers, and sanitation engineers. At least we still have doctors, nurses, teachers, and professors ( or are they referred to as lecturers). Heck shell shock does not even exist anymore let alone recovering from a traumatic event. Post traumatic stress syndrome encompasses it all. We have allowed ourselves to become nothing more than a pack of fairies. Thick skinned, now, just means one has callouses.

Old
  (#14)
lucidus
Ancient Guru

Videocard: MSI Gaming X GTX 1070
Processor: i7 6700K 4.5Ghz 1.28v
Mainboard: Asus Maximus 8 Hero
Memory: Vengeance 32GB 3000Mhz
Soundcard: Onboard + H/K Soundsticks
PSU: 850W EVGA Supernova
Default 05-25-2017, 22:40 | posts: 9,967

Quote:
But will it help in real life work environment? having a Safe-space?
It is only good for censoring speech, shutting down opposing political views aka republicans, and creating unemployable rabid pups. They claim to care for many things and to be inclusive and diverse but is all ostensible and skin deep at best.

They just need a Pepsi. Or a Pepe :^)

Here are some in the wild:

Old
  (#15)
CalculuS
Maha Guru

Videocard: 6950 Asus DC2U
Processor: I7 920 4.1ghz 1.3v
Mainboard: Asus P6T Deluxe
Memory: 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz/CL8
PSU: EVGA 500W
Default 05-25-2017, 22:48 | posts: 2,749 | Location: Netherlands

Lol the part where it says calories burned got me good.

also

Old
  (#16)
nhlkoho
Ancient Guru

Videocard: EVGA 980ti sc+
Processor: i7 4770k
Mainboard: Asus Z87 Plus
Memory: Veng. Pro 16GB DDR3-1866
Soundcard: Soundblaster Z
PSU: EVGA 750G2
Default 05-25-2017, 22:53 | posts: 7,087 | Location: Washington DC

Quote:
It is only good for censoring speech, shutting down opposing political views aka republicans, and creating unemployable rabid pups. They claim to care for many things and to be inclusive and diverse but is all ostensible and skin deep at best.

It's not completely about censoring speech. When people start making death threats to others for simply not agreeing with their point of view there is a problem. Same goes to threatening rape/murder to others when you don't like what they have to say.
I'll agree that people are way over sensitive about a lot of things these days, but death threats are not OK. Neither is bullying a young kid online by telling them to kill themselves.
But what do I know, I'm just a DC snowflake apparently.

Old
  (#17)
airbud7
Ancient Guru

Default 05-25-2017, 23:00 | posts: 4,237 | Location: Beech Island SC,USA

Quote:

Hey, Thanks again Bro!....Thats some bucked up people^...Glad I don't live around them.

Old
  (#18)
Whiplashwang
Maha Guru

Videocard: GTX 1080 G1
Processor: AMD R5 1600X - NH-D15S
Mainboard: ROG Crosshair VI Hero
Memory: 16GB Flare X 3200MHz CL14
Soundcard: Sound Blaster Z
PSU: Corsair TX850W
Default 05-26-2017, 00:26 | posts: 2,138 | Location: Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlkoho View Post
It's not completely about censoring speech. When people start making death threats to others for simply not agreeing with their point of view there is a problem. Same goes to threatening rape/murder to others when you don't like what they have to say.
I'll agree that people are way over sensitive about a lot of things these days, but death threats are not OK. Neither is bullying a young kid online by telling them to kill themselves.
But what do I know, I'm just a DC snowflake apparently.
You mean like the Berkeley Riots? Adults, more like children, crying about their safe spaces being invaded then threatening invited guests with violence and rioting. You may not agree with what some people have to say, but that doesn't give you the right to prevent other people from attending a guest lecture. These people scream tolerance, but are some of the most intolerant people I've seen. They say they're against hatred and violence, but then spew exactly what they say they're protesting. Talk about irony.

You also said it's wrong to threaten people with whom you disagree. I agree completely with you, but the people wanting safe spaces don't seem to agree with you since they label anyone they disagree with as sexists, racists, bigot, xenophobes, homophobes, etc and would rather scream and riot rather than debate the issue like a civilized person.

"Safe Space" is nothing more that silencing unpopular speech which is the most important free speech we have. The first amendment most importantly protects unpopular speech. If it protected only popular speech we'd have no need for it since no one would try to silence you. The South Park video hit the nail on the head quite well. People crying about their safe space can't handle opposing view points or reality and would rather live in a bubble. It's disgusting this mentality is encouraged and perpetuated nowadays, especially on college campuses.

Last edited by Whiplashwang; 05-26-2017 at 00:35.

Old
  (#19)
airbud7
Ancient Guru

Default 05-26-2017, 00:51 | posts: 4,237 | Location: Beech Island SC,USA

Thank you Whiplashwang....Thanks Bro!

Old
  (#20)
Fox2232
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Fury X - XL2420T(Z)@144Hz
Processor: i5-2500k@4.5GHz NH-D14
Mainboard: MSI Z68A-GD80[g3]
Memory: 4x4GB 1600MHz 9,9,8,20 1T
Soundcard: Essence ST / AKG K-701
PSU: FSP Gold series 750W
Default 05-26-2017, 05:59 | posts: 5,516 | Location: EU, CZ, Brno

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman839 View Post

In other words to make it "safe" for all those alternative kids, it has to be made hostile to any king of unpleasant truth.

Basically there are cases when people are censored not because they are wrong. But because when they say truth, it may hurt someone's feeling by proving him wrong.

And Southpark's Safe Space is quite spot on. There is just one difference, there making things safe took toll on one boy. In reality, this Safe Space Living Group oppresses freedom of thought for thousands. And given opportunity, they would oppress millions/billions.

Old
  (#21)
TaskMaster
Master Guru

Videocard: Galax GTX 980 SLI 4gb
Processor: Intel i7 4960x 4.7ghz
Mainboard: Rampage IV Extreme
Memory: 64GB Dominator Platinum
Soundcard: XFI Titanium f4tality pro
PSU: Coolermaster 1000Watt
Default 05-26-2017, 06:55 | posts: 704

Safe space... lol, just lol.

Old
  (#22)
IcE
Don Snow

Videocard: Gigabyte 970 G1
Processor: Intel i7 4790K
Mainboard: Maximus VII Hero
Memory: 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400
Soundcard: Aune T1 + CAL
PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
Default 05-26-2017, 11:15 | posts: 10,640 | Location: Toledo

As much as I hate to say it, it's often people with very low self esteem who have little or no perceived value in society that demand these kinds of things.

Old
  (#23)
Clouseau
Maha Guru

Videocard: MSI RX 480 Gamming
Processor: Ryzen 1700X
Mainboard: ASUS Crosshair VI Hero
Memory: F4-3600C16D-16GTZ @ 3466
Soundcard:
PSU: Seasonic SSR-1200PD
Default 05-26-2017, 17:35 | posts: 1,762

Quote:
As much as I hate to say it, it's often people with very low self esteem who have little or no perceived value in society that demand these kinds of things.
Let's just put it another way. It is no longer survival of the fittest. This is also how society collapses in on itself. Majority rule is no longer a valid option. We all have to cater to the minority so they feel empowered. Special interest groups is where it all rests.

Old
  (#24)
aKiss

Videocard: Zotac 1070 GTX Mini
Processor: I7 7700K@4.9 GHZ
Mainboard: Gigabyte Z270M-D3H
Memory: HyperX 16 GB@2400 MHZ
Soundcard:
PSU: Seasonic M550
Default 05-26-2017, 17:37 | posts: 22

Hello, I was known as Sash. Since i got raged by eclap for sim city 2013, a lot has changed.
I have become a right wing nationalist.
All i got to say in order not to get banned is this:
The concept of "safe space" is a psychological disorder in millennial children, born after 2000s, in families with wealth over the average, who think that they are special snowflakes, modern day hipsters, who identify as Antifa supporters, think they know what is to be a left wing extremist, think that communism is cool (it is not, my parents lived in communism - I am still Romanian). Safe-space is just another excuse for rich privileged brats who think it is a new fad to be against Trump, because he is a conservative - so a right wing politician, having no clue about politics, but joining rallies against "fascists" - the working class and getting their **** beaten up by them, and then crying home to mommy and daddy in their +250.000 dollar homes in a white-exclusive gated community.

Old
  (#25)
nhlkoho
Ancient Guru

Videocard: EVGA 980ti sc+
Processor: i7 4770k
Mainboard: Asus Z87 Plus
Memory: Veng. Pro 16GB DDR3-1866
Soundcard: Soundblaster Z
PSU: EVGA 750G2
Default 05-26-2017, 18:47 | posts: 7,087 | Location: Washington DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by aKiss View Post
Hello, I was known as Sash. Since i got raged by eclap for sim city 2013, a lot has changed.
I have become a right wing nationalist.
All i got to say in order not to get banned is this:
The concept of "safe space" is a psychological disorder in millennial children, born after 2000s, in families with wealth over the average, who think that they are special snowflakes, modern day hipsters, who identify as Antifa supporters, think they know what is to be a left wing extremist, think that communism is cool (it is not, my parents lived in communism - I am still Romanian). Safe-space is just another excuse for rich privileged brats who think it is a new fad to be against Trump, because he is a conservative - so a right wing politician, having no clue about politics, but joining rallies against "fascists" - the working class and getting their **** beaten up by them, and then crying home to mommy and daddy in their +250.000 dollar homes in a white-exclusive gated community.
wut?

Closed Thread