Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > General > Games, Gaming & Game-demos
Games, Gaming & Game-demos You can talk about the latest games here and more ..

Old
  (#126)
TR2N
Master Guru

Videocard: AMD
Processor: Intel Core i7
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: 1000W
Default 05-27-2017, 00:59 | posts: 535 | Location: Your PC

Prey

Crysis

Last edited by TR2N; 05-27-2017 at 01:06.

Old
  (#127)
Damien_Azreal
Ancient Guru

Videocard: EVGA GTX 970 ACX2.0 4GB
Processor: Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHZ
Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-G1.SNIPER Z97
Memory: 16GB Corsair DDR3 2400
Soundcard: Creative Sound Core3D
PSU: Thermaltake Evo-Blu 650w
Default 05-27-2017, 01:41 | posts: 8,158 | Location: Kansas, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR2N View Post
So refreshing to return to this game after my bad experience with prey.

Man... this game is da BomB!
PC gamer 4 life...

Damian_azreal,

I can understand your gripe. But as a gamer going back 15-20 years, you have to appreciate the logic of pc gamers who always upgraded hardware for graphics nirvana. Conversely, there are those who want a story-line and graphics is merely secondary.

My gripe is with prey. A game just released, yet visually is so contrived you might as well get out your pc's from 1999.

Forum nature is that everyone's viewpoint is subjective.
I am just shocked at the current state of pc graphics in modern games.
I can understand the drive to upgrade hardware, and have done so in the past.
I made rather big upgrades just to play Doom 3 back in 2004. And made other upgrades for BioShock and even Crysis.

But, even in 2007, I found Crysis... pretty bland gameplay wise. I saw amazing potential, but... felt far too much attention was wasted trying to impress visually and not pushing what was possible with the Nanosuit.

And, nobody is going to say PREY is a hardware pusher. It's not a technical marvel or graphical powerhouse.
But, it is one of the best games I've played in a long time. There's actual depth to the gameplay.
And, I for one can easily overlook a game's visual fidelity if the gameplay makes up for it. And, PREY's does.

Add in, while it's lacking technically, the art style is solid and I really like the retro, softer look of the game.
Yes, I love a game that pushes the limits... and love it when a game look amazing. DOOM is fantastic, as is Gears of War 4.
But, I still appreciate everything fantastic about PREY.

Old
  (#128)
TR2N
Master Guru

Videocard: AMD
Processor: Intel Core i7
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: 1000W
Default 05-27-2017, 02:54 | posts: 535 | Location: Your PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien_Azreal View Post
I made rather big upgrades just to play Doom 3 back in 2004. And made other upgrades for BioShock and even Crysis.

But, even in 2007, I found Crysis... pretty bland gameplay wise. I saw amazing potential, but... felt far too much attention was wasted trying to impress visually and not pushing what was possible with the Nanosuit.

And, nobody is going to say PREY is a hardware pusher. It's not a technical marvel or graphical powerhouse.
But, it is one of the best games I've played in a long time. There's actual depth to the gameplay.
And, I for one can easily overlook a game's visual fidelity if the gameplay makes up for it. And, PREY's does.

Add in, while it's lacking technically, the art style is solid and I really like the retro, softer look of the game.
Yes, I love a game that pushes the limits... and love it when a game look amazing. DOOM is fantastic, as is Gears of War 4.
You've inspired me to go after gears of war - problem is i am out of space on hdd. Time to Uninstall Crysis?

Old
  (#129)
Damien_Azreal
Ancient Guru

Default 05-27-2017, 03:15 | posts: 8,158 | Location: Kansas, USA

Yeah, Gears 4 is friggin' huge.
When I had it installed it was over 90 gigs. I think now, it's over 100. Just... insane.

But, it's a gorgeous game.

Old
  (#130)
A M D BugBear
Maha Guru

Videocard: 2 980ti sli @(1506/8150+)
Processor: Dual Xeon E5-2678 V3@2.9+
Mainboard: Asus d10pe-d8 ws
Memory: 64GB Samsung 2133mhz Ecc
Soundcard: SOUNDBLASTER X-FI(USB)
PSU: Seasonic X 1200W Gold
Default 05-27-2017, 03:29 | posts: 2,417

This is kinda off topic but crysis related.

Take a look at this video I did, Crysis 2 looking good as ever, Actually very impressive:

Sorry for the somewhat dark Upload, I tried to increase the brightness and gamma quite a bit, not to bad.

Sometimes on certain games, Changing a game's compat to win 7,8,etc, can effect the brightness, but on this game, it changes nothing.

I even did the shadowplay work around, changing the resolution one notch then go back, don't change nothing.

This scene is already dark to begin with from what I can tell, It seems I didn't lose that much brightness, but it is kinda dark.

I played other missions in well lit areas, much better, Might upload those later.

Haven't played this game in quite some time, Looks absolutely stunning, even by today's standard, and gotta love sgssaa, don't play any game without it, major performance hit on gpu but overall IQ is Stunning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39aM...yDXvEF92tuO0_Z

Last edited by A M D BugBear; 05-27-2017 at 04:16.

Old
  (#131)
Redemption80
Ancient Guru

Videocard: GALAX 970/ASUS 970 STRIX
Processor: i7-2600K @ 4.7ghz
Mainboard: Asus P8P67 PRO Intel P67
Memory: G.Skill RipJawsX 8GB
Soundcard: Nvidia - HDMI
PSU: Corsair GS800
Default 05-27-2017, 06:48 | posts: 17,651 | Location: Glasgow

Crysis doesn't always look impressive though, it's the location more than the technical side that stands out more nowadays.

Old
  (#132)
Nosein
Member Guru

Videocard: ASUS
Processor: i7 6600k
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: Apowerful1
Default 05-27-2017, 08:11 | posts: 118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redemption80 View Post

Crysis doesn't always look impressive though, it's the location more than the technical side that stands out more nowadays.
Maybe turn the gfx up then? Thats not maxed

Old
  (#133)
Redemption80
Ancient Guru

Videocard: GALAX 970/ASUS 970 STRIX
Processor: i7-2600K @ 4.7ghz
Mainboard: Asus P8P67 PRO Intel P67
Memory: G.Skill RipJawsX 8GB
Soundcard: Nvidia - HDMI
PSU: Corsair GS800
Default 05-27-2017, 11:38 | posts: 17,651 | Location: Glasgow

Apologies that is quite a crappy screenshot, didn't really notice on the phone screen.

The point was just that even maxed Crysis tends to look bad when removed from the jungle setting.

Old
  (#134)
TheDeeGee
Ancient Guru

Videocard: MSI GTX 1070 AERO OC
Processor: Intel Core 4770K
Mainboard: Gigabyte Z87X-UD5H
Memory: Crucial Ballistix LP 16GB
Soundcard: SoundBlaster ZxR
PSU: Seasonic Platinum 760
Default 05-27-2017, 12:24 | posts: 5,009

@Nosein, still looks bad.

Old
  (#135)
Damien_Azreal
Ancient Guru

Default 05-27-2017, 12:45 | posts: 8,158 | Location: Kansas, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosein View Post
Maybe turn the gfx up then? Thats not maxed

Actually, only works to help support his point.
In doors, Crysis looks bad. Bland, flat lighting... everything in doors looks... fake. The depth and realism, the detail... it's all gone whenever you go inside.

Old
  (#136)
WhiteLightning
Don Illuminati

Videocard: Inno3d GTX 1070 iChill x4
Processor: 2600k HT@4 .5 + NZXT X61
Mainboard: MSI Z77A-GD65 GAMING
Memory: Gskill 2133Mhz 8GB
Soundcard: Onboard
PSU: Seasonic 750 Watt
Default 05-27-2017, 13:03 | posts: 26,450 | Location: Netherlands

They didnt really pay attention to the inside of the buildings. focus was really the outside.
The buildings were fully destructible though which was pretty awesome. Who hasnt been inside the building hiding for a tank, where the tank totally blew up the building LOL

I love crysis , played through it several times. Even the multiplayer was awesome!
The editor was also tons of fun. just messing around with the physics stuff was awesome. no other game was able to do that then. great engine with a lot of features.

Old
  (#137)
Vibe
Member Guru

Videocard: 1080 GTX
Processor: i7-7700k
Mainboard: Asrock Z270 Fatal1ty
Memory: 32 GB ddr4
Soundcard: Rift, JBL wireless
PSU: Corsair SFX
Default 05-27-2017, 17:19 | posts: 73 | Location: Indiana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redemption80 View Post

It's not even that, it's purely art direction. Large outdoor floral environments always look fantastic next to most other kinds of environments.

This is 2017, things have improved a lot. First show a proper comparison pics of similar environments.

This little gif you can see how the light from the laser reflecting from the tree bark, how much better the smoke looks than Crysis.
While Crysis held up just fine, it's worlds apart from what can be done today. The larger problem IMO is that not many developers care to really push PC hardware which Crytek clearly set out to do from scratch, rather they'd rather just use UE4 or similar and sprout several platform versions...most of which look better than Crysis of course.

Old
  (#138)
A M D BugBear
Maha Guru

Videocard: 2 980ti sli @(1506/8150+)
Processor: Dual Xeon E5-2678 V3@2.9+
Mainboard: Asus d10pe-d8 ws
Memory: 64GB Samsung 2133mhz Ecc
Soundcard: SOUNDBLASTER X-FI(USB)
PSU: Seasonic X 1200W Gold
Default 05-27-2017, 21:25 | posts: 2,417

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibe View Post
It's not even that, it's purely art direction. Large outdoor floral environments always look fantastic next to most other kinds of environments.

This is 2017, things have improved a lot. First show a proper comparison pics of similar environments.

This little gif you can see how the light from the laser reflecting from the tree bark, how much better the smoke looks than Crysis.

While Crysis held up just fine, it's worlds apart from what can be done today. The larger problem IMO is that not many developers care to really push PC hardware which Crytek clearly set out to do from scratch, rather they'd rather just use UE4 or similar and sprout several platform versions...most of which look better than Crysis of course.

Sure is, Battlefront is one amazing looking game, especially the forest speeder scene, Very Very well done.

Old
  (#139)
Damien_Azreal
Ancient Guru

Default 05-27-2017, 21:28 | posts: 8,158 | Location: Kansas, USA

But, also, another game that looks amazing... but is pretty damn lifeless gameplay wise.

Old
  (#140)
haste
Master Guru

Videocard: GTX 1080 @ 2.1GHz
Processor: i7-2600K @ 4.8GHz
Mainboard: ASUS P8P67 DELUXE
Memory: 16GB DDR3 @ 2133MHz
Soundcard: SB X-Fi
PSU: EVGA P2 650W
Default 05-28-2017, 13:27 | posts: 341 | Location: CZ

Yes, SW Battlefront is probably the best looking PC game so far, shame it is also extremely bland and badly crafted from gameplay point of view.

BioWare should cooperate with DICE to do new KOTOR. Battlefront visuals + KOTOR gameplay would be awesome.

Old
  (#141)
Nosein
Member Guru

Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
Default 05-28-2017, 14:17 | posts: 118

I think Bioware needs a lie down.

Old
  (#142)
The Janitor
Maha Guru

Videocard: GTX 980 Ti SC
Processor: i7 5820K @ 3.3 Ghz
Mainboard: GA-X99M-Gaming 5
Memory: 16GB DDR4
Soundcard:
PSU: Corsair RM 850W Gold
Default 05-28-2017, 14:47 | posts: 1,117 | Location: Sweden

Quote:

You always say the gameplay in Crysis is bad but I disagree. Because of the nanosuit, and because it was designed for mouse and keyboard it has some of the tightest controls in a FPS game.
It allows you to do stuff like this:

I can't think of many modern shooters that lets you pull of the things you can do in Crysis

Old
  (#143)
Nosein
Member Guru

Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
Default 05-28-2017, 16:24 | posts: 118

Quote:

Whether people want to admit it or not, Crysis and Far Cry 1 paved the way for todays FPS games in the play your way aspect. Prey did nothing to push the industry forward or even make itself stand out as anything but a "spiritual successor", the sloppy seconds of gaming. Atleast Crysis is still being remembered 10 years on for whatever those reasons maybe, but in 10 years time, no ones going to remember Prey 2017.

To lament Crysis 1 for gameplay only to then praise Prey 2017... Preys physics are poorly programmed for the play style it offers the player, stealth is luck, exploration is punished and often a waste of time, combat is atrocious...the list goes on.

While people may call Crysis nothing but a tech demo, every game released by AAA devs since 2010 has been nothing but a tech demo and the entire industry has gone from not caring about gfx because "console gamers dont care about gfx" to 4K this, PS PRO that with Ubisoft and EA being the kings of tech demos with rinse and repeat gameplay. Crysis in 2007 had more innovation and interactivity than anything AAA of today.

Last edited by Nosein; 05-28-2017 at 16:44.

Old
  (#144)
Damien_Azreal
Ancient Guru

Default 05-28-2017, 16:38 | posts: 8,158 | Location: Kansas, USA

Why do you insist on bringing up PREY over and over again?

And, it's not "factually" wrong. It's all a matter of opinion, and my opinion can be no more wrong then yours can be right.
I had more fun with PREY then I even did with Crysis.
And I enjoy Crysis (for the first six levels), but it's gunplay is lacking. And the suit feels... like a gimmick instead of a fully thought mechanic.

So, I don't care what some random youtuber does in Crysis when they've practiced it over and over to make it look cool in a video.
Yes, there were times I pulled off stuff in Crysis and thought "That was awesome"... but, they were very few and far between because of how the game is paced.

And The Janitor, I'm all for you expressing your opinion. Disagree with me. It's great, that's what a discussion is for. And I'm always glad to discuss with people.
But, Nosein, once you start presenting your opinion like fact... I'm pretty much done.

Old
  (#145)
Nosein
Member Guru

Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
Default 05-28-2017, 16:45 | posts: 118

Quote:
Why do you insist on bringing up PREY over and over again?

And, it's not "factually" wrong. It's all a matter of opinion, and my opinion can be no more wrong then yours can be right.
I had more fun with PREY then I even did with Crysis.
And I enjoy Crysis (for the first six levels), but it's gunplay is lacking. And the suit feels... like a gimmick instead of a fully thought mechanic.

So, I don't care what some random youtuber does in Crysis when they've practiced it over and over to make it look cool in a video.
Yes, there were times I pulled off stuff in Crysis and thought "That was awesome"... but, they were very few and far between because of how the game is paced.

And The Janitor, I'm all for you expressing your opinion. Disagree with me. It's great, that's what a discussion is for. And I'm always glad to discuss with people.
But, Nosein, once you start presenting your opinion like fact... I'm pretty much done.
You mentioned it in your post and made the initial comparison. I responded the way i did.

Last edited by Nosein; 05-28-2017 at 16:58.

Old
  (#146)
Damien_Azreal
Ancient Guru

Default 05-28-2017, 16:57 | posts: 8,158 | Location: Kansas, USA

After you edited your post to make your response valid.

I questioned why you brought up PREY when your original post quoted The Janitor's post.

Old
  (#147)
Nosein
Member Guru

Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
Default 05-28-2017, 16:59 | posts: 118

Quote:
After you edited your post to make your response valid.

I questioned why you brought up PREY when your original post quoted The Janitor's post.
Fair enough. "factually wrong" does come off a bit strong.

I did wonder why that Crysis .gif was in my initial post. Quoted the wrong poster.

Old
  (#148)
KissSh0t
Ancient Guru

Videocard: ASUS RX 470 Strix Gaming
Processor: AMD FX 8320
Mainboard: ASUS M5A97 R2.0
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X F3 8GB
Soundcard: X-Fi XtremeMusic
PSU: Corsair HX650W
Default 05-28-2017, 21:32 | posts: 4,975 | Location: 0.0.0.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Janitor View Post

I can't think of many modern shooters that lets you pull of the things you can do in Crysis
That is really cool.

Old
  (#149)
ramthegamer
Maha Guru

Videocard: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 4GB
Processor: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.0 GHZ
Mainboard: Asus Z170-K
Memory: 16Gb Ballistix DDR4
Soundcard: Realtek High Definition
PSU: Corsair CS 550w
Default 05-29-2017, 00:47 | posts: 2,612 | Location: Dubai

i can t think of crysis either than being a technical demo of what shooters can be. of what a sandbox fps game can be, it is a technical demo because no game has destructible environements crysis does, at least we have bf1 with similar physics if i may say

Old
  (#150)
Undying
Ancient Guru

Videocard: R9 280X Vapor-X
Processor: Intel i5 @ 4.8Ghz-1.38v
Mainboard: Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P
Memory: HyperX 16GB @ 2133Mhz
Soundcard: Realtek onboard
PSU: Tt ToughpowerXT 775W
Default 05-29-2017, 01:06 | posts: 9,667 | Location: Serbia, NS

You guys remember this tech demo trailer? It blown my mind back then.