Info needed for msi x99s 7 for xeon turbo hack

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by er557, May 17, 2017.

1. er557

er557 Guest

GPU:
    2x 1080 sc acx 3.0 sli
    much appreciate if anyone has info regarding msi bios hack for the known xeon e5 v3 turbo unlock, ; currently with e5 2686 v3 18c/36t getting about 30% more than 6950x in cpu z bench, but would love to see those turbo bins locked to x29 all cores.
    The board is an x99s gaming 7 latest bios, win 10 creators with latest microcode.

2. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
  3. er557

er557 Guest

GPU:
    2x 1080 sc acx 3.0 sli
    thanks Jura, I saw that thread but nothing specific to msi boards, I understand it's a bit risky to try to post without microcode;
    BTW , what are you doing with 96gb of ram? a bit overkill, no?
    I've updated my specs now, forgot about that...

4. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

Agree there is nothing about the MSI boards, I would at least try post there and I'm sure there people would be able to help you

Not sure if yours board does support uCode or does have that but have look on this

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/what-controls-turbo-core-in-xeons.2496647/page-8

I know for Xeon chips ASRock boards seems to be best and due this I went as first with ASRock, have used previously E5-2683v3 ES chip on that board and no issues

Yours board do have dual BIOS if yes then you should be OK there

And regarding the 96GB RAM, its overkill for most people, but I mostly multi task and I render with some SW like are rendering SW where RAM usage sometimes goes to 50-60GB easy and GPU rendering going out of window as there is no GPU which have such amount of VRAM and CPU rendering is only option

My biggest render has took from RAM 76GB

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

5. er557

er557 Guest

GPU:
    2x 1080 sc acx 3.0 sli
    OK, sorry for the delay, back from the depths of hell with hex editing, bios modding, efi mapping, nail biting waiting for POST, etc., .I will keep the defaults and let my system run as is, the risk of not POSTing, c3/c6 not supporting, OS hanging, compatibility issues , are not worth the risk of a 15-20% boost. the microcode stripping from msi bios is risky, but I did achieve the following:
    - 44gb--->>48gb ram . raise vdimm, turn off, place 8th dimm in 8th slot, boots fine with extra 4gb stick. this bit is irrelevant, but if I were to reset the bios again I may have to take it out again for POST success- not worth it.
    - convert OS drive from mbr to uefi gpt boot, easy enough.
    - learn about the navigation in uefi shell, create a thumb drive with efi, map drives, recognize the boot drive etc.
    - encrypted msi bios prevented tampering, and may be good to leave it at that.
    - learn about bios modding utilities, efi drivers injection before boot, microcode removal from windows.

All in all, I don't do much heavy computations, the gains would be e-peen mostly, as the gpu results are already excellent, no need to wake sleeping dogs.

6. er557

er557 Guest

GPU:
    2x 1080 sc acx 3.0 sli
    UPDATE: using an elaborate method of extracting microcode and manually modifiying hex for same checksum, using eufitool, hxd, uefi bios editor to verify, succeeded to remove microcode for encapsulated bios of msi, for my cpu id. flash, boot ok without ucode, place efi driver in boot partition, mod turbo, strip ucode file from windows, update to 0x39 with VMware tool to stay on safe side(no ucode may be faster but more bugs), benchmark- success. 60% more performance in single core, turbos all hover around 3ghz, 33% more performace in multi core.

before:
    http://i.imgur.com/KEOdn7A.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/EjvtpRC.jpg

and after mod: 100% stable, 2x gtx 1080 sc acx overclocked

http://i.imgur.com/TRccNAi.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/nesCty8.jpg

the cpu score in time spy is better than that achieved in review with a 6950x overclocked to 4.5ghz on all cores. my setup has no overclocking per say.
    the cpu multiplier being unlocked may provide further tweaking if need be as the bios has no ucode, only in windows by VMware, which may be removable to allow multiplier tweaking, but tdp may rise exponentialy even to 300watt per cpu!!

I modified my bios settings as instructed elsewhere, to disable c3/c6, also increase tdp to 165, and fsb to 100.02, disable cupid limit, I may try upping the multiplier and see where that gets me, I don't know how the 0x39 mcode loaded in windows manually will affect this, as mcode is the main lockdown method of xeons.
    So that saved me about 4000$ I would have not paid for 2699v4 or similar for same performance.

7. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    That's great news there and glad you are managed that

If you have time can you post how you do it, maybe this would be helpful for other people with MSI X99s gaming 7 boards which would like to use Xeon chip at full potential

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

8. er557

er557 Guest

GPU:
    2x 1080 sc acx 3.0 sli
  9. er557

er557 Guest

GPU:
    2x 1080 sc acx 3.0 sli