Windows 10 RS3 Build 16199

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Extraordinary, May 17, 2017.

1. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    What’s New in Build 16199 For PC

Emotive Experience in My People: The next wave of cool features for My People is now available for Windows Insiders! In addition to being able to place your favorite people to the taskbar, today’s build brings even more personal ways to stay in touch and share with the people closest to you.
    We’re adding:

See emoji from your pinned contacts: When you receive emoji from your pinned contacts you can now watch them appear and animate right from the taskbar! Have one of your pinned contacts send you an emoji via Skype (for example “(hero)”) and see what happens! If you’d like to turn this off, open taskbar settings by right-clicking on the taskbar.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Notification Badging: The contacts pinned to your taskbar will now display a counter if there are unseen messages, ensuring you have at-a-glance access to communications you have missed from your pinned contacts. Note: You might need to update Skype to version 11.16.556.0 to see notification badges when new Skype messages come in.

[​IMG]

• People-first Sharing: You now have two easy ways to share with your people in Windows 10! Drag-and-drop files directly onto the contacts in your taskbar to start an email, or share directly to your contacts via the share picker by choosing from a list recommended people to email.
    Try it out! As always, we look forward to your feedback.

Improved Game Settings: We’ve made some improvements and adjustments that PC gamers will enjoy via Settings > Gaming and the Windows Game bar (WIN + G).
    Some things to check out:

• Broadcast using game-only audio: Under Settings > Gaming > Broadcasting, you can now choose “Per-app audio” to broadcast using only the game’s audio to Beam as opposed to the audio for your entire PC.
    • Audio settings is now Game DVR in Game bar: We have renamed the Audio settings page under the settings in Game bar to be Game DVR. All Game DVR settings from the general gaming settings page has been moved to be under Game DVR. Per-app audio settings is also included here as well.
    Note: Windows Insiders will see a “Game Monitor” page under Settings > Gaming for potential future functionality which doesn’t do anything right now.

Other Settings Updates: One of our ongoing goals is to help make it easier for you to understand the state of your system and quickly get to the settings you need to tailor your Windows 10 experience. With that, this build brings two new features to Settings:

Settings > System > About now integrated with System Health: The About Settings page has been simplified to be accessible to all customers. In addition to the overall UX cleanup, we have also added a health section that pulls in information from the Windows Defender Security Center so you can see your system health at a glance.

[​IMG]

Tips and Videos in Settings: To help you learn more about your options, we’re starting to add tips and videos to Settings. We’re still growing our collection, but to start with you can find them in under Settings > Ease of Access or Settings > Update & security, a handful of other areas. More content is being added all the time and we’re really hoping to get your help figuring out the best tip content for each page. If you have an idea of a tip that would help your least techie friend or family member, please provide us feedback through the feedback hub! Note: Depending on the size of the Settings window, you will find the tips either at the bottom of the page, or on the side.

[​IMG]

Expanding Storage Sense’s abilities: During development of the Windows 10 Creators Update, we added the ability to automatically free up space using Storage Sense. We’re continuing to grow this feature, and you can now choose to automatically clean up files that have been unchanged in your Downloads folder for 30 days. Just go to Settings > System > Storage and click on “Change how we free up space” to adjust this setting.

[​IMG]

Streamlining Narrator Feedback: We’ve updated Narrator so that when you press Caps Lock + E + E while Narrator is running, it will now launch the Feedback Hub.

Incoming call notifications: For our Insiders with Android phones, Cortana can now display cross device incoming call notifications! Install the Cortana app on your phone, go to “Settings” > “Sync notifications” and turn on all the Cortana cross-device features. The next time you receive a call, a notification will appear on your Fast ring PC telling you who it is and giving you the option to text back a reply or decline the call.

[​IMG]

Changes, improvements, and fixes for PC

• Windows Defender Application Guard (WDAG) will now work as expected on touch-enabled PCs.
    • [DEVELOPERS] The XAML designer in Visual Studio 2017 hits an error causing a squiggle error under ThemeResource references to XAML’s generic.xaml resources. Please update to the latest version of Visual Studio 2017 Preview (Version 15.3 – 26510.00) or later. If Visual Studio 2017 Preview is already installed, users can update by starting the Visual Studio Installer, and clicking the Update button. You can confirm you have the right build of Visual Studio Preview by going to Help > About to confirm you are on Version 15.3 (26510.0-Preview) or later.
    • We fixed an issue resulting in many Win32 apps not launching if certain 3rd party antivirus programs were active prior to upgrading.
    • We’ve updated Windows Defender Security Center so as to no longer flag disabled drivers as issues. We have also adjusted the health scan logic so that using maximum brightness when connected to AC power will not flag a warning. Appreciate all who shared feedback on the subject.
    • As a result of low usage, we’ve made the decision to remove the Note quick action.
    • We’re updated our migration logic so that going forward from this build the state of rotation lock will be preserved across upgrades.
    • We fixed an issue resulting in color profiles being ignored after launching certain fullscreen games.

Known issues for PC

• Some Insiders have reported seeing this error “Some updates were cancelled. We’ll keep trying in case new updates become available” in Windows Update. See this forum post for more details.
    • Surface 3 devices fail to update to new builds if a SD memory card is inserted. The updated drivers for the Surface 3 that fix this issue have not yet been published to Windows Update.
    • Outlook 2016 may hang on launch due to an issue where the spam filter gets stuck reading the Outlook Data File and the UI waits indefinitely for it to return. We’re investigating.
    • We are investigating reports that Microsoft Edge fails to open PDFs with “Couldn’t open PDF. Something is keeping this PDF from opening” error.
    • [UPDATED] You will be unable to type in your password to log in to any UWP apps such as Netflix, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram or Messenger apps.
    • Games such as Civilization VI may fail to launch on this build.
    • Windows Mixed Reality won’t work on this build. If you are a developing testing and developing for Windows Mixed Reality, you will want to avoid this build. If you update this build and need Windows Mixed Reality, you will need to roll-back to Build 16193.
    • VIM is broken for Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) users – we’re investigating.
    • The choice command fails when run in a Command Prompt script.

Source:
    http://blogs.windows.com/windowsexp...er-preview-build-16199-pc-build-15215-mobile/

2. SacredKnight27

SacredKnight27 Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Small in the scheme of things, but I hope this makes my Photos live tile work again.

3. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Good. **** off.

That's awful. Are google and apple doing this? Ugh. Looks like it was made by and for teen girls. I wish it were turned off by default on pro and above. I guess this applies only to emojis received on MS services like skype instead of telegram or whatsapp desktop?

A step in the right direction but who knows how it will actually ship. Windows help links are worthless to me because they always just forward me to a generic windows 10 landing page or microsoft gulf's website. It also had better not be used for ads in the future. Can't trust them.

The downloads setting had better remain off by default. Oh god ... I can't image the mess that would cause if they one day decide in a future build that it should be turned on by default.

4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I wiped Pro and installed LTSB 2016 a couple of days ago, I made the right choice

Much less of a headache, and looking at the changes they're making in RS3... yea I`ll stick with LTSB lol

Only thing I did miss when I first booted was the calendar app, hadn't realised I was using that for reminders, but my phone reminds me and have also installed eM Client for mail/calendar now anyway

5. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Ah yes, best choice you've made for using your PC, guaranteed! :D We'll get another LTSB in 2019 so we're safe from botched updates and unwanted features till then. I missed night light but the original, f.lux, is available to install just fine.

If you're missing an app or two, you can install the store again in LTSB if you want. As you noted though, everything apps on windows do, your phone will be doing it better. I missed the weather app but my iphone handles that just fine (or even a quick google search!).

6. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    I just hope you can disable all that crap.

7. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    lol yea, I used to run the 2015 LTSB but for whatever reason got sucked back to Pro to try out the new 'features' and have a genuine license, but after upgrading to RS2 things got annoying, having to use 3rd party to put back stuff that didn't need removing in the first place, such as Win-X menu items started getting stupid

LTSB 2016 is how Win 10 should be, the feature builds should be only in the Home and Education SKU's IMO, with apps galore and more touch Windows phone UI for kids to play with, leave Pro clean for the Pros

Consumers should have a clean SKU choice like LTSB without needing a VL

8. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Nah, keep that as something the "pros" can seek out and definitely not the norm.

Not had a notification for this yet, will try and force it through so i can get it set up for tomorrow.

9. SacredKnight27

SacredKnight27 Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Updating via WU is slower than it ever has been. The download takes forever, then the install step before the first restart takes even longer. I thought they were supposed to make things faster. And I'm already going through the process for a second time after the first try failed. Got to 12% on the first restart, computer restarted again and then just loaded up Windows as is, no errors or anything.

Well, ISO time. 2nd failure. 3 hours just to download and pre-install from WU, then it fails at 12% anyway.

Last edited: May 18, 2017
  10. WhiskeyOmega

WhiskeyOmega Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 MSI GXT
    No update here. Still on 16193. WU isnt finding anything.

11. primetime^

primetime^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega 64
    its down loading on mine.....so its out

12. RandomDriverDev

RandomDriverDev Guest

GPU:
    1080 / 8GB and 1060 / 6GB
    windows 10 is seeming more and more gimmicky :\

not what you want to see of an operating system.

on an interesting note, all versions of windows are getting an updated d3dcompiler_47........

13. radosuaf

radosuaf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASRock 6800 XT 16GB
    I see a significant change in attitude :D.

On the topic - is this cogwheel in the lower right corner a direct access to Settings from the taskbar? This would be a nice addition.

14. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Not a change in attitude at all, it gets very tedious listing to the same person whining on about the same thing, trolling about the same OS over and over, my attitude about that has not changed one bit

If you read my posts well prior to your trolling the other week, you will see my attitude about MS's Win 10 direction has been solid and unchanged throughout

My problem was with your constant thread derailing, bad mouthing an OS you don't even run

15. zimzoid

zimzoid Guest

GPU:
    2xEVGA980TiSC+(H20) Swift
    No problems with this build for me, Win10 is awesome by the way.. Used them all since win95:)

Last edited: May 19, 2017

16. radosuaf

radosuaf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASRock 6800 XT 16GB
    1. I will be whining about W10 constantly, because I would like to use Windows in future and 8.1 will not last forever. Having tried to use Linux I can say W10 is still way better and Mac OS is not an option for me.
    2. I wouldn't call discussing various OS options in a thread where OP asks for an OS to choose "derailing".
    3. You don't need to run an OS constantly if you're using it from time to time and are up-to-date with changes - I've never questioned W10's speed or stability. It's the interface, "features" and a concept to make significant changes every 6 months that I really don't like. That said, interface changes started to make sense lately, as opposed to what MS did with AU.

17. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Well you'll be added to my iggy list then, see ya

18. WhiskeyOmega

WhiskeyOmega Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 MSI GXT
    Well i still cant get it to update. tried all the fixes. everything seems fine in the registry. I cant find a ISO or ESD anyone got a link ?

19. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    No single ESDs any more just UUP, works the same way with the decrypter though

UUP
    https://sendit.cloud/f/embed/v8x3xcgo7mmz

decrypter
    https://t.co/ykDsOd0mnP

20. WhiskeyOmega

WhiskeyOmega Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 MSI GXT