Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > Hardware > Processors and motherboards AMD
Processors and motherboards AMD Got a Phenom, FX or AMD APU based system or the means to buy one? You can discuss it in here!



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
PCH temps
Old
  (#1)
PrMinisterGR
Ancient Guru
 
PrMinisterGR's Avatar
 
Videocard: Sapphire 7970 Quadrobake
Processor: Core i7 2600k@4.5GHz
Mainboard: Sapphire Pure Black P67
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB
Soundcard: ASUS Xonar D2X
PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
Default PCH temps - 05-06-2017, 17:36 | posts: 6,769

This is not for me. A designer/programmer friend of mine recently replaced his old i5-3570/****ty Gigabyte mobo combo with these:
  • Ryzen R7 1700
  • Phanteks P400 Tempered Glass

All that with the standard AMD cooler given with the CPU, and zero OC.

The memory was very specific to ensure he can upgrade to 32GB when the prices are a bit more reasonable again. The motherboard is upgraded to the latest UEFI as of now (0604).

My question is:

What are the normal PCH temps for the system? Is he right to break my balls because they are on the high 50s/mid 60s (centigrade?)

Thanks guys.
   
Reply With Quote
 
Old
  (#2)
chispy
Ancient Guru
 
chispy's Avatar
 
Videocard: GTX1070@ 2126/2300Mhz-H2O
Processor: AMD R7 1700x@ 4200Mhz-H2O
Mainboard: Asus CH VI Hero x370 AM4
Memory: G.Skill DDR4-3200Ghz 16GB
Soundcard: X-Fi Titanium HD
PSU: eVGA Supernova G2-1300w
Default 05-06-2017, 18:04 | posts: 7,719 | Location: In Paradise :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrMinisterGR View Post
This is not for me. A designer/programmer friend of mine recently replaced his old i5-3570/****ty Gigabyte mobo combo with these:
  • Ryzen R7 1700
  • Phanteks P400 Tempered Glass

All that with the standard AMD cooler given with the CPU, and zero OC.

The memory was very specific to ensure he can upgrade to 32GB when the prices are a bit more reasonable again. The motherboard is upgraded to the latest UEFI as of now (0604).

My question is:

What are the normal PCH temps for the system? Is he right to break my balls because they are on the high 50s/mid 60s (centigrade?)

Thanks guys.
That's perfectly normal temperatures for the PCH , mine runs around ~ 45c - 55c with good airflow , tell him to get a fan and direct some airflow directly to the PCH if he is worrying about those temperatures .
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#3)
lexer98
Master Guru
 
lexer98's Avatar
 
Videocard: GTX 1070 - WC
Processor: 4790k@4.5Ghz - WC
Mainboard: ASUS Z97-A
Memory: Corsair 16Gb - 2400mhz
Soundcard: Native Instrument Audio 2
PSU: Seasonic M12 750W
Default 05-06-2017, 18:07 | posts: 662 | Location: Argentina

The PCH of my Z97 runs over 60C on summer and is totally okey.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#4)
Agent-A01
Ancient Guru
 
Agent-A01's Avatar
 
Videocard: 1080Ti H20
Processor: i7 5930K 4.7GHz H20
Mainboard: ASUS X99-AU31
Memory: G.Skill 32GB 3200C12
Soundcard: ASUS Phoebus
PSU: EVGA P2-1200W
Default 05-06-2017, 22:43 | posts: 9,409 | Location: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexer98 View Post
The PCH of my Z97 runs over 60C on summer and is totally okey.
Not normal.

Not saying it's not out of normal operating temps but you should be less than 40c.

Mine sits at around 30-33c max.
Suggest you remove the PCH heatsink and scrape that plastic paste(whatever it is, it's always hard) and use either .5mm thermal pad(fujipoly) or good paste.
   
Reply With Quote
 
Old
  (#5)
Undying
Ancient Guru
 
Undying's Avatar
 
Videocard: R9 280X Vapor-X
Processor: Intel i5 @ 4.8Ghz-1.38v
Mainboard: Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P
Memory: HyperX 16GB @ 2133Mhz
Soundcard: Realtek onboard
PSU: Tt ToughpowerXT 775W
Default 05-06-2017, 22:58 | posts: 9,667 | Location: Serbia, NS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent-A01 View Post
Not normal.

Not saying it's not out of normal operating temps but you should be less than 40c.

Mine sits at around 30-33c max.
Suggest you remove the PCH heatsink and scrape that plastic paste(whatever it is, it's always hard) and use either .5mm thermal pad(fujipoly) or good paste.
PCH should run little higher than CPU at idle so 40c is actually perfectly fine. I would not recommend he scrape the paste from the new board and if temp reaches something like 80c then he should worry.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#6)
lexer98
Master Guru
 
lexer98's Avatar
 
Videocard: GTX 1070 - WC
Processor: 4790k@4.5Ghz - WC
Mainboard: ASUS Z97-A
Memory: Corsair 16Gb - 2400mhz
Soundcard: Native Instrument Audio 2
PSU: Seasonic M12 750W
Default 05-06-2017, 23:55 | posts: 662 | Location: Argentina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent-A01 View Post
Not normal.

Not saying it's not out of normal operating temps but you should be less than 40c.

Mine sits at around 30-33c max.
Suggest you remove the PCH heatsink and scrape that plastic paste(whatever it is, it's always hard) and use either .5mm thermal pad(fujipoly) or good paste.
Right now is winter and is around 35-45C. I had boards with chipset that runs MUCH hotter and they still working fine (P45, X58, nForce, AMD 690 ect).
The Z97-A has a cheapo piece of aluminium as a heatsink on the PCH and probably a low quality thermal pad, but if runs stable nothing to fix
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#7)
PrMinisterGR
Ancient Guru
 
PrMinisterGR's Avatar
 
Videocard: Sapphire 7970 Quadrobake
Processor: Core i7 2600k@4.5GHz
Mainboard: Sapphire Pure Black P67
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB
Soundcard: ASUS Xonar D2X
PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
Default 05-07-2017, 02:39 | posts: 6,769

Thanks for the replies guys. He's getting a couple of Noctua NF-S12A FLX as intakes next week, and he'll put the front Phanteks fan on top. This should be more than enough for even psychological reasons I recon.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#8)
chispy
Ancient Guru
 
chispy's Avatar
 
Videocard: GTX1070@ 2126/2300Mhz-H2O
Processor: AMD R7 1700x@ 4200Mhz-H2O
Mainboard: Asus CH VI Hero x370 AM4
Memory: G.Skill DDR4-3200Ghz 16GB
Soundcard: X-Fi Titanium HD
PSU: eVGA Supernova G2-1300w
Talking 05-07-2017, 02:57 | posts: 7,719 | Location: In Paradise :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrMinisterGR View Post
Thanks for the replies guys. He's getting a couple of Noctua NF-S12A FLX as intakes next week, and he'll put the front Phanteks fan on top. This should be more than enough for even psychological reasons I recon.
You are welcome. This part that you wrote made me laugh my a s s off " This should be more than enough for even psychological reasons I recon " , that was funny
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#9)
PrMinisterGR
Ancient Guru
 
PrMinisterGR's Avatar
 
Videocard: Sapphire 7970 Quadrobake
Processor: Core i7 2600k@4.5GHz
Mainboard: Sapphire Pure Black P67
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB
Soundcard: ASUS Xonar D2X
PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
Default 05-07-2017, 03:09 | posts: 6,769

Quote:
Originally Posted by chispy View Post
You are welcome. This part that you wrote made me laugh my a s s off " This should be more than enough for even psychological reasons I recon " , that was funny
hahahaha

That's the main issue. It was so hard to find any information on this, because no one is looking. The only thing I found was an FLIR image from a Chinese forum that was showing the PCH hovering at ~58c
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#10)
akbaar
Master Guru
 
Videocard: MSI GTX1080 Gaming X
Processor: Intel Core i7 6700k @4.6
Mainboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VIII IMPACT
Memory: 32gb G.SKILL 3200 CL14 1T
Soundcard: SupremeFX Impact III
PSU: Corsair AX760i
Default 05-07-2017, 04:19 | posts: 220 | Location: Middle East Region

mine runs 50-70c when i installed U.2 Drive. before it was 40-60c
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#11)
ddelamare
Master Guru
 
Videocard: Inno3D GTX 1070 X4
Processor: AMD Ryzen x1800
Mainboard: Asus Prime x370-PRO
Memory: G.Skill F4-3466C16D-16GTZ
Soundcard: Logitech 2.1 THX
PSU: OCZ ZX 1000W '80-Plus'
Default 05-08-2017, 13:31 | posts: 212 | Location: Rabbit

I dont know what temp mines is currently sitting at, but its only warm to the touch, its not extreme. Baring in mind i have a Thermaltake Core p3 (i.e no case cooling) i am not concerned about it in the slightest. Coming from an overclocked FX9590 system, everything is cooler lol
   
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skin developed by: vBStyles.com
Copyright (c) 1995-2014, All Rights Reserved. The Guru of 3D, the Hardware Guru, and 3D Guru are trademarks owned by Hilbert Hagedoorn.