Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > General > General Software and Applications
General Software and Applications Trouble with software/DirectX or other programs like Detonator Destroyer.

Old
  (#51)
Dch48
Maha Guru

Videocard: Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
Processor: AMD FX-6300 6 core
Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2
Memory: Corsair XMS DDR3-1333 8gb
Soundcard: Realtek 7.1 integrated
PSU: LEPA 650 watt
Default 05-22-2017, 01:22 | posts: 1,802 | Location: Upstate NY

Like I said, I used Norton for 10 years. The last 8 were NIS which was updated a couple of times. I never had a single problem and their uninstaller worked flawlessly. It also caught a lot of things. The sonar feature is excellent.

Old
  (#52)
tsunami231
Ancient Guru

Videocard: EVGA 660gtx sig2
Processor: i7 6700k NH-D14
Mainboard: Asrock z170 Extreme 4
Memory: Corsair LPX 2400mhz 16gb
Soundcard: Realtek HD Audio
PSU: Antec HCG 750m
Default 05-22-2017, 02:09 | posts: 7,328 | Location: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dch48 View Post
Like I said, I used Norton for 10 years. The last 8 were NIS which was updated a couple of times. I never had a single problem and their uninstaller worked flawlessly. It also caught a lot of things. The sonar feature is excellent.
every time i got computer that came with norton internet security and went to uninstall it, the uninstall took hour to finish and the built in uninstall didnt work i had to use uninstall tool they made to do so, grant this going back to the 90's when i actual bought premade computers too

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetime^ View Post
As powerful as today's setups are, I cant see the logic in running with zero protection these days...Anyways built in defender is fine for people who use good judgment like myself
and most do not, hell most people shouldnt have access to internet on "PC", seeing most are not power users. these days I tell those people to get mac learn mac stay away from windows and pc.

Either way one should always have AV product running even if only windows defender.

Last edited by tsunami231; 05-22-2017 at 02:13.

Old
  (#53)
Anarion
Ancient Guru

Videocard: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 ACX
Processor: Intel Core i7 3770K
Mainboard: ASUS P8Z77-V
Memory: G.SKILL RipjawsX 16 GB
Soundcard: Sound Blaster Zx + HD 595
PSU: Corsair AX760
Default 05-22-2017, 09:06 | posts: 12,883 | Location: Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunami231 View Post
every time i got computer that came with norton internet security and went to uninstall it, the uninstall took hour to finish and the built in uninstall didnt work i had to use uninstall tool they made to do so, grant this going back to the 90's when i actual bought premade computers too
Okay... That doesn't count then and isn't the case anymore. Uninstallation is really quick. Norton now is completely different animal than back then. It doesn't have anything in common. There was a time when Norton sucked, hard, but then they completely overhauled it. Now it's fast and light.

Last edited by Anarion; 05-22-2017 at 13:14.

Old
  (#54)
Amaze
Maha Guru

Videocard: Gigabyte 970 G1 1550/7800
Processor: Intel 2500K @4.5
Mainboard: Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P
Memory: 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP
Soundcard: O2+ODAC
PSU: Coolermaster v700
Default 05-22-2017, 15:03 | posts: 2,188 | Location: Norway

Norton has basically ruined their reputation for decades to come. It was that bad.
And no, I have not touched it since the 90's.

Old
  (#55)
anticupidon
Ancient Guru

Videocard: XFX RX480 GTR 8GB
Processor: i5 6600K / Liqmax II 240
Mainboard: Maximus Extreme VIII
Memory: 16 GB GSkill Z DDR4 3000
Soundcard: ROG SupremeFX
PSU: EVGA 750 W G2
Default 05-22-2017, 17:40 | posts: 2,865 | Location: far,far from home

Surprised that nobody mentioned Sophos.I have it on my Windows and Linux computers, does the job.

Old
  (#56)
tsunami231
Ancient Guru

Default 05-22-2017, 17:58 | posts: 7,328 | Location: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
Okay... That doesn't count then and isn't the case anymore. Uninstallation is really quick. Norton now is completely different animal than back then. It doesn't have anything in common. There was a time when Norton sucked, hard, but then they completely overhauled it. Now it's fast and light.
Sadly like Amaze that was enough ruin there reputation for me. if I was to look pasted that, why am i gona pay for sub to get definition updates? when there free options that work as good?

Old
  (#57)
Anarion
Ancient Guru

Default 05-25-2017, 18:07 | posts: 12,883 | Location: Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunami231 View Post
Sadly like Amaze that was enough ruin there reputation for me. if I was to look pasted that, why am i gona pay for sub to get definition updates? when there free options that work as good?
I can't use the free solutions for business reasons. Windows Defender is slow resource hog though, so I wouldn't use it. Avast is also really slow these days. Never tried AVG but since Avast bought them it must be more or less as bad now. Bitdefender free is too limited. When I had full Bitdefender on my laptop few year ago it didn't seem to be that fast and the updates caused lots of disk trashing and it was rather resource heavy when that was going on.

Last edited by Anarion; 05-25-2017 at 18:12.

Old
  (#58)
tsunami231
Ancient Guru

Default 05-25-2017, 18:36 | posts: 7,328 | Location: USA

Quote:
I can't use the free solutions for business reasons. Windows Defender is slow resource hog though, so I wouldn't use it. Avast is also really slow these days. Never tried AVG but since Avast bought them it must be more or less as bad now. Bitdefender free is too limited. When I had full Bitdefender on my laptop few year ago it didn't seem to be that fast and the updates caused lots of disk trashing and it was rather resource heavy when that was going on.
well from home use not so much business environment

I Still have n bother to try BD free I want some even lighte then AVAST but I but i still want to have exclude list ondemand scans for games etc, which i not sure BD free has

Last edited by tsunami231; 05-25-2017 at 18:41.

Old
  (#59)
Dragondale13
Maha Guru

Videocard: GTX 1070 AMP! H75
Processor: 3930k @ 4.5Ghz H100i V2
Mainboard: GBE X79-UD3 F21E Mod2
Memory: G.Skill 16Gb DDR3 2400Mhz
Soundcard: X-Fi Ti.Champ Z-5300
PSU: Corsair HX850
Default 05-25-2017, 18:37 | posts: 973 | Location: ...........In a corrupt country

I use Panda on two out of three systems at work and it's pretty good, bit of a hard drive fiend though.Bitdefender free on the third one and it's good also but I only use that machine for ripping/outputting files to the printers.

I tried Panda at home but didn't feel too comfortable with it scanning everything all the time, so went back to Avira and just tweaked the options.Been using it for three years now, maybe four, hasn't let me down...yet lol!

Old
  (#60)
Dch48
Maha Guru

Default 05-25-2017, 18:44 | posts: 1,802 | Location: Upstate NY

Quote:
I only started using Norton, or any AV, in 1999. There was no time for me when it sucked. Also, their defrag tool at that time was hands down the best and fastest one. Norton Utilities was great but they ruined it later on. I started with just the AV and in 2004 or so, went to NIS. I had no issues with versions 5 and 6 but the really breakthrough version was 7. Every one since then has been fantastic but as I said, I was having financial problems in the late 2000's and decided that one of the things that could go was a paid AV and Security product. I switched to Comodo at that time and liked it but eventually got tired of all the alerts for perfectly safe things so moved on to Avast which I used for a while until it got too bloated for my tastes.

Old
  (#61)
Fender178
Ancient Guru

Videocard: GTX 1070 FTW 2113/8996
Processor: i7 4790k @ 4.4ghz
Mainboard: Asus Z97 Pro
Memory: Gskill Ares 32Gb 2133
Soundcard: RealTek AC1150
PSU: Corsair AX 860W
Default 05-25-2017, 21:21 | posts: 3,249 | Location: Pennsylvania

Quote:
I used to use Avast but nowadays it's just a bloated mess that slows down your PC noticeably. Now I use Norton. It's much lighter and faster than Windows Defender which makes it already worth it.
The thing about Norton that it sucks at detecting or finding any Viruses that would junk up a PC. I have worked on PCs that had a modern version of Norton installed and it is huge pile of junk.

Old
  (#62)
Amaze
Maha Guru

Videocard: Gigabyte 970 G1 1550/7800
Processor: Intel 2500K @4.5
Mainboard: Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P
Memory: 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP
Soundcard: O2+ODAC
PSU: Coolermaster v700
Default 05-26-2017, 09:01 | posts: 2,188 | Location: Norway

Quote:
Windows Defender is slow resource hog though, so I wouldn't use it.
I'm not seeing that at all on Win7.

Old
  (#63)
Veteran
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
Processor: 4930k@5.0ghz-1.40v-CH20
Mainboard: R4BE@Monoblock-CH20
Memory: 16Gb Mushkin Redline2133
Soundcard: SupremeFX-Sennheiser 350
PSU: Corsair AX 1200i
Default 05-26-2017, 13:43 | posts: 12,051 | Location: United kingdom

Norton was fine when i used it years ago. It always detected malware and although it was resource hungry people that complained were usually people with low end crappy machines. Personally ive always had a good machine even in the 90s so never felt any problems with resources. Same with Vista ran fine on a high end machine. Id rather use norton than anything from ESET tbh and i say that from experience.

Old
  (#64)
Dch48
Maha Guru

Default 05-26-2017, 18:02 | posts: 1,802 | Location: Upstate NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaze View Post
LOL. Windows 7 doesn't have the real full Defender.

Old
  (#65)
Dch48
Maha Guru

Default 05-26-2017, 18:07 | posts: 1,802 | Location: Upstate NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender178 View Post
The thing about Norton that it sucks at detecting or finding any Viruses that would junk up a PC. I have worked on PCs that had a modern version of Norton installed and it is huge pile of junk.
It does excellently with all of the testing organizations and is always one of the top recommendations.

Old
  (#66)
sykozis
Ancient Guru

Videocard: XFX RX 470
Processor: Core i5 6600K
Mainboard: MSI Z170A Gaming Pro
Memory: Corsair DDR4-2666
Soundcard: Creative SB-Z
PSU: Corsair CX750M
Default 05-27-2017, 04:16 | posts: 19,856 | Location: US East Coast

Quote:
I've had no issues with Defender on a series of very resource limited laptops running Win7, 8.1 and 10....

Old
  (#67)
lucidus
Ancient Guru

Videocard: MSI Gaming X GTX 1070
Processor: i7 6700K 4.5Ghz 1.28v
Mainboard: Asus Maximus 8 Hero
Memory: Vengeance 32GB 3000Mhz
Soundcard: Onboard + H/K Soundsticks
PSU: 850W EVGA Supernova
Default 05-27-2017, 04:29 | posts: 9,931 | Location: Republic of Kekistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dch48 View Post
LOL. Windows 7 doesn't have the real full Defender.
It's called security essentials on 7.

Old
  (#68)
Dch48
Maha Guru

Default 05-27-2017, 07:15 | posts: 1,802 | Location: Upstate NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucidus View Post
It's called security essentials on 7.
Yes and it has to be downloaded separately. It is not included in the OS and is not Windows Defender as we know it. What is called Defender in Win 7 isn't worth squat.

Old
  (#69)
sverek
Maha Guru

Videocard: MSI GTX970 4G
Processor: i5 2500k
Mainboard: P8Z68-V
Memory: Corsair Ven. 8GB
Soundcard: XonarDG+HD595
PSU: Corsair HX850
Default 05-27-2017, 08:51 | posts: 2,735 | Location: Ibaraki, Japan

Best antivirus? Your brain.

Old
  (#70)
sykozis
Ancient Guru

Default 05-29-2017, 06:04 | posts: 19,856 | Location: US East Coast

Since Avast bought out AVG, AVG appears to be improving.... I still wouldn't touch it, personally. I bought a license for it in the past and ended up getting a refund in less than 24 hours because of it being pure garbage.

Sophos appears to be doing quite well also. May give Sophos Home a go at some point since it's free.

For those that actually care, Windows Defender is the only antivirus recommended by Google....lol

Old
  (#71)
Exascale
Member Guru

Videocard: Gigabyte G1 1070
Processor: i7-6700K
Mainboard: MSI Z170 Carbon
Memory: 32GB Crucial DDR4 in XMP
Soundcard: Grado SR-80i ALC1150
PSU: Seasonic X850 Gold
Default 06-12-2017, 01:36 | posts: 95

Wow there is so much misinformation in this thread its not even funny.

First of all, conventional antivirus software is pretty much useless.

Exploit mitigations are the most essential piece of security software that you should have. Malwarebytes Anti Exploit, which has been rolled into their main program now, is easy to set up and extremely effective. You can still use the free version from here. https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topi...andalone-beta/

Or you can use EMET, if for whatever reason you prefer it over MBAE. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...rience-toolkit

In terms of realtime anti-malware and anti ransomware, its hard to beat Malwarebytes Anti Malware for consumer level endpoint protection. If you want to beat then, youd need to step up to a hardware root of trust system like Bromium(not for consumers). Just make sure you turn rootkit scanning ON in detection settings before you scan with Malwarebytes.

Windows Defender is honestly fine, since an antivirus wont be doing much if you're blocking the primary delivery method using exploit mitigations. Zero day exploits or normal exploit kits in compromised websites or their ads are the biggest threat to most eople just browsing the internet, since legit sites are constantly getting compromised and being used to distribute malware(specifically ransomware and RATs).

Conventional antiviruses dont effectively stop them, because signature based detection is easily defeated by sophisticated threat actors using obfuscation techniques.

Of course, you should always use security best practices like securing your email and all accounts with two factor auhentication, backing up your data, and keeping your software up to date. Some people say "use a password manager" but those have proven to be unsafe. Better off with a piece of paper and a fireproof safe if you forget passwords tbh.

If you are interested in even greater insight into whats running on your computer, you shoulsd familiarize yourself with Sysinternals tools like Process Explorer, which has an option to compare the MD5 hash of the running processes against Virus Total's(owned by Google) database. It can be helpful for determining if your antimalware missed something. Also enable "Verify Image Signatures" in options along with "Check Virus Total". Under File, be sure to "Show Details of All Processes".

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/...sexplorer.aspx

Autoruns lets you check processes set to load with Windows and disable them.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/.../bb963902.aspx

TCPView shows you what your computer is connected to.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/...s/tcpview.aspx

While on the topic of network security, make sure Windows Firewall is configured properly, and dont use third party firewalls in Windows. Theyre basically useless.

A couple other useful tools for cleaning out malware are:

https://www.f-secure.com/en_US/web/h...online-scanner

F-Secure is one of the few security companies that makes decent software. Their HIPS based antivirus is decent, but it can cause issues with some games, and i dont really recommend a HIPS usually. They also make a really good Mac antivirus.

Their Freedome VPN is great for Android, iOS and Windows devices, and comes with a lot of cool features like tracker mapping and malicious site blocking.

Malwarebytes bought two of the other best tools in the last couple years, and now you can get them directly from their site, which is nice.

Adwcleaner

https://www.malwarebytes.com/adwcleaner/

Junkware Removal Tool
https://www.malwarebytes.com/junkwareremovaltool/

For those looking for Windows Defender for Windows 7.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...tials-download

Since you'll hopefully be using a separate device like a phone or tablet for your two factor authentication(Google Authenticator, Microsoft Authenticator, Steam Guard etc) you should make sure that your Android or iOS devices are also secure.

F-Secure's Freedome VPN is basically an all in one solution that's very good for the price. It also goes on sale 50% off a few times a year like black friday.

Lookout Mobile Security has a completely free option that is probably the best Android antimalware solution. It runs fine with Freedome if you want to use both.

Obviously do not jailbreak, root or enable unknown sources on your Android or iOS device if you want it to remain secure.

Now for a little rant. In a thread asking about security, people really shouldn't give misinformation like "oh i have this(useless) antivirus and my computer is clean" or "oh i dont use any kind of security software and i dont have a problem!".

I can almost guarantee that if you used useful software that worked and knew how to actually find malware on your system, youd find quite a bit, considering how many legit sites get compromised and serve malware.

Heres a few "security" vendors to specifically avoid:

Symantec(Norton), McAfee, AVG, ioBit, PC Pitstop(PCMatic).

And to the people who say "oh it does well with comparisons like AV Comparitives", those tests are absolutely meaningless and complete trash antiviruses are recommended based on them, but theyre still trash.

Put them up against a crypted piece of malware or an exploit kit and they fail miserably. Thats when it actually matters too.

TLDR

Malwarebytes premium with rootkit scanning plus Windows defender for paid.

Malwarebytes Anti Exploit beta free plus Windows Defender and periodic scans with Malwarebytes free for a free setup.

Two factor, backup, update, avoid garbage software, useless antiviruses and bad security advice.

Someone should really update the security thread on this forum too. Its beyond uselessly out of date.

Last edited by Exascale; 06-12-2017 at 05:35.

Old
  (#72)
sykozis
Ancient Guru

Default 06-12-2017, 05:39 | posts: 19,856 | Location: US East Coast

Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware is great....if you don't mind buggy as hell software. People are STILL bitching about ver 3....

EMET is on it's last leg, since most of it has been built directly into Windows 10...

Quote:
End of Life Statement:

We have listened to customers' feedback regarding the January 27, 2017 end of life date for EMET and we are pleased to announce that the end of life date is being extended 18 months. The new end of life date is July 31, 2018. There are no plans to offer support or security patching for EMET after July 31, 2018. For improved security, we recommend that customers migrate to the latest version of Windows 10.
EMET has also been broken numerous times...and MS is committed to ending support for it as soon as people quit bitching about old, outdated software being EOL'd....

AVG and Avast are essentially the same AntiVirus these days, being that Avast owns both....and they both use the same source code now. Only real difference is the UI.

Of course, you missed a big one. Avoid software from companies based in Russia or China, since their governments have a tendency of forcing companies to do their dirty work.

Last edited by sykozis; 06-12-2017 at 05:41.

Old
  (#73)
Exascale
Member Guru

Videocard: Gigabyte G1 1070
Processor: i7-6700K
Mainboard: MSI Z170 Carbon
Memory: 32GB Crucial DDR4 in XMP
Soundcard: Grado SR-80i ALC1150
PSU: Seasonic X850 Gold
Default 06-12-2017, 06:30 | posts: 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by sykozis View Post
Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware is great....if you don't mind buggy as hell software. People are STILL bitching about ver 3....

EMET is on it's last leg, since most of it has been built directly into Windows 10...

EMET has also been broken numerous times...and MS is committed to ending support for it as soon as people quit bitching about old, outdated software being EOL'd....

AVG and Avast are essentially the same AntiVirus these days, being that Avast owns both....and they both use the same source code now. Only real difference is the UI.

Of course, you missed a big one. Avoid software from companies based in Russia or China, since their governments have a tendency of forcing companies to do their dirty work.
I did say, if for whatever reason(running old OS or something) that someone may use EMET instead of MBAE. I personally wouldnt use EMET though, but it is an option until they completely end support. And yes, Bromium was one of the groups that broke EMET. I avoid Windows 10 though, and there are still plenty of people disgusted by Microsoft's shady malware like installing and all the data collection that Windows 10 does by default.

Avast is mostly ok, and naming AVG is more on principle at this point, even though someone else bought them out. Its like Intel buying McAfee. Intel makes some of the most sophisticated tech in existence and yet they keep that name and the software still sucks lol.

I have heard that some people had issues with MBAM 3.0, but 3.1 seems to have resolved a lot of them. I think they went a little bit too fast integrating MBAE and MBARW into MBAM, and it should have been in beta longer.

You need to add the UK to your list of countries to avoid software from, because they passed the "snoopers charter", and can mandate backdoors into their software as well. Australia is probs next, but i dont think they make any security software anyway.

Last edited by Exascale; 06-12-2017 at 06:33.

Old
  (#74)
Anarion
Ancient Guru

Default 06-19-2017, 15:04 | posts: 12,883 | Location: Finland

Quote:
Then you probably have never used an AV product that's actually fast.

Windows Defender is easily the slowest out there. That difference is easily noticeable. Heck, on my HTPC installing latest NVIDIA drivers took ages because Windows Defender is so damn slow resource hog.