Sennheiser GSX 1000 purchased.

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by ESlik, Apr 23, 2017.

1. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    My never ending quest for the perfect surround sound for gaming, and checking video reviews giving the GSX high praise, led me to buy this thing. I say "thing", because of all the audio devices I've had over the years, this amplifier is the most dissapointing. I connected the GSX easily. Plug and play. No drivers etc. That was the only good thing I can say about it. Very easy to use. The surround sound? I used my ATH AG1X headphones with it, and the surround effect was more reverb than anything else. No software to allow EQ etc. tweaks. You get what Sennheiser gives you. At $300 cdn.,it was an expensive waste, in my opinion. I went back to my Soundblaster X7, ATH AG1X headphones, selected SBX in X7 control, and that's it. The X7 with the ATH headphones, have given me the best and most immersive audio gaming experience I've had so far. Will I try the next new thing? More than likely, but I will never put as much trust in the "reviewers" again. All this of course, is just my opinion. I'm no audio pro, and for sure I'm no pro "reviewer". I think I better start paying more attention to our own Guru audio guys.

2. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    Some people it worked for some it did not, but at that price its an major rip off. It should not be over 200, let alone 300 for it other models. I understand that it surround suppose to be good when it works correctly, but not 200-300+ good. It doesn't do it any justice to have an weak hp amp in it either. As I seen people using an second amp, double ampping just to use their sennheisers HD600/650 or other hungry cans, even go as far using the speaker output, which makes the whole device pointless.

What was Sennheiser thinking, They should had execute this better then this. I guess they was riding on the success of their other products or something. I know I will never try one not at that price point,I wouldn't mind giving it an go when its at the price of 50-100 dollars, but not 200-350.

Also there are different modes, did you swap the modes, because if you do it would have changed the way it sound, as if i recall from people that had it, there where 3 modes settings, and they tend to use 1 because it had the least echo or none, and some even used the music mode to get rid of the echo. I don't recall exactly because it been an long while since I looked at that thread on head-fi.

But there are modes which doesn't have the huge amount of reverb, from what I read. But I agree with SBX out of any other surround software I tried, SBX worked the best for me, Windows sonic for headphones and dolby atmos for headphones, if they allowed you to set the speaker count in the control panel and did not force stereo, then they would had been another option too. But sadly they are not.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
  3. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    I did use all the modes and presets, but none of them provided anything better than any other sound card, on board sound, or other digital surround device. I have $100 USB headphones with built in digital surround that sound better. Hard to believe an audio device from a company like Sennheiser, would be so disappointing.