Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > General > Operating Systems
Operating Systems Is Windows 8.1 giving you a hard time ? Wanna try out Windows 10 ?

Old
  (#626)
SacredKnight27
Master Guru

Videocard: Sapphire R9 280 Dual X
Processor: AMD FX-8350
Mainboard: ASUS M5A97 R2.0
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB DDR3
Soundcard: ASUS Xonar DS
PSU: Corsair TX650W
Default 06-14-2017, 20:13 | posts: 178

I'm on Creators Update again after having some issues with the latest Insider Build so I'm waiting out another. And I just have one question...anyone having a hell of a time getting the weather app live tile to work? It just will not activate for me no matter what. When I first installed the OS from ISO it was working, but as soon as I installed the first cumulative update its stopped and hasn't worked since. Tried various ideas I've seen around, like resetting, logging out of my ms account from the app then signing back in, changing my default location from automatic to manual then back, and no dice.

Old
  (#627)
AsiJu
Ancient Guru

Videocard: EVGA 980Ti SC+/Xtreme IV
Processor: Ryzen5 1600
Mainboard: ASRock X370 Killer SLI
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ 3000/C14
Soundcard: X-Fi Titanium + Z906
PSU: Tt. Toughpower XT 875 W
Default 06-14-2017, 20:29 | posts: 3,454 | Location: Finland

The tile works for me but I did have a strange glitch where folder icons in Start menu would be replaced by the weather tile image if live tile was on.

So clearly something is still off with it in CU.

Old
  (#628)
Agent-A01
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 1080Ti H20
Processor: i7 5930K 4.7GHz H20
Mainboard: ASUS X99-AU31
Memory: G.Skill 32GB 3200C12
Soundcard: ASUS Phoebus
PSU: EVGA P2-1200W
Default 06-14-2017, 20:31 | posts: 9,396 | Location: USA

Try reinstalling the app?

Old
  (#629)
lucidus
Ancient Guru

Videocard: MSI Gaming X GTX 1070
Processor: i7 6700K 4.5Ghz 1.28v
Mainboard: Asus Maximus 8 Hero
Memory: Vengeance 32GB 3000Mhz
Soundcard: Onboard + H/K Soundsticks
PSU: 850W EVGA Supernova
Default 06-14-2017, 21:49 | posts: 9,935 | Location: Republic of Kekistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacredKnight27 View Post
I'm on Creators Update again after having some issues with the latest Insider Build so I'm waiting out another. And I just have one question...anyone having a hell of a time getting the weather app live tile to work? It just will not activate for me no matter what. When I first installed the OS from ISO it was working, but as soon as I installed the first cumulative update its stopped and hasn't worked since. Tried various ideas I've seen around, like resetting, logging out of my ms account from the app then signing back in, changing my default location from automatic to manual then back, and no dice.
When all else fails, just wait a few days. That's how I've been dealing with the stupid thing these past years. Sometimes it just stops working even if you reset the app/reinstall it.

Old
  (#630)
SacredKnight27
Master Guru

Videocard: Sapphire R9 280 Dual X
Processor: AMD FX-8350
Mainboard: ASUS M5A97 R2.0
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB DDR3
Soundcard: ASUS Xonar DS
PSU: Corsair TX650W
Default 06-14-2017, 23:23 | posts: 178

:hits head: the one thing I forgot to try before I posted, uninstalling using powershell, and that's what fixed it. At least for now. With the reset feature I forgot about the command line method.

Old
  (#631)
EdKiefer
Maha Guru

Videocard: MSI 970 Gaming 4G
Processor: i5-3570k@4.5ghz
Mainboard: Asus P8Z77V pro
Memory: 16Gb-DDR3 1600
Soundcard:
PSU: Corsair XT650
Default 06-15-2017, 03:13 | posts: 1,320

Just updated to CU and windows installed latest ASMedia USB3 driver 1.16.45.1, which makes those controllers useless as i just tried these last month and had to go with 1.16.41.3.
But I rolled back to a newesh MS dated 4/27/2017 so will see how these go.

Old
  (#632)
BuildeR2
Maha Guru

Videocard: MSI 1080Gaming@2075/11000
Processor: i7 4770k 4.4GHz 1.265v
Mainboard: ASUS Z97-A BIOS 2801
Memory: 2x8GB G.Skill @ 2400Mhz
Soundcard: ALC892
PSU: OCZ FTY750W
Default 06-15-2017, 05:18 | posts: 2,283 | Location: TX

Quick question. I'm sitting pretty on Redstone 1 (AU) version 14393.1358 and I have everything set up how I like it. My games all work well and everything is stable. Any reason I should update to the Creators stuff? I don't use anything like Cortana, art apps, Game bar and that kind of fluff. Just gaming and browsing.

My brother updated to it with basically no issues, while my friend has had nothing but issues with it. I eventually want to play Forza 7 on PC, and I'm assuming it will require the Creators update at least. I'm thinking of doing a full Windows backup and just trying it out, but that requires moving ~350GB of games off of my SSD because Macrium Reflect can't pick and choose what contents on a drive to backup.

As you can clearly see I'm on the fence and I guess I'm just looking for some experiences from you fellow Gurus.

Old
  (#633)
EdKiefer
Maha Guru

Soundcard:
Default 06-15-2017, 05:38 | posts: 1,320

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildeR2 View Post
Quick question. I'm sitting pretty on Redstone 1 (AU) version 14393.1358 and I have everything set up how I like it. My games all work well and everything is stable. Any reason I should update to the Creators stuff? I don't use anything like Cortana, art apps, Game bar and that kind of fluff. Just gaming and browsing.

My brother updated to it with basically no issues, while my friend has had nothing but issues with it. I eventually want to play Forza 7 on PC, and I'm assuming it will require the Creators update at least. I'm thinking of doing a full Windows backup and just trying it out, but that requires moving ~350GB of games off of my SSD because Macrium Reflect can't pick and choose what contents on a drive to backup.

As you can clearly see I'm on the fence and I guess I'm just looking for some experiences from you fellow Gurus.
IMO, no, I was under same thing, had WU set to defer but i gave in after 2 months.
But there really no need if your not into MS apps and new stuff, if you just want a stable OS, I don't see any need.
My update seemed so far to go ok, but its only few hrs and only tried 1 game out (BF1), so far so good.

Old
  (#634)
Anarion
Ancient Guru

Videocard: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 ACX
Processor: Intel Core i7 3770K
Mainboard: ASUS P8Z77-V
Memory: G.SKILL RipjawsX 16 GB
Soundcard: Sound Blaster Zx + HD 595
PSU: Corsair AX760
Default 06-15-2017, 16:53 | posts: 12,884 | Location: Finland

Now that ReFS is properly supported I'd definitely use it on Windows software RAID0 array. Unfortunately Macrium Reflect doesn't support it yet. I guess that I could use the backup functionality instead of imaging for that though... Hmm...

Old
  (#635)
BuildeR2
Maha Guru

Default 06-15-2017, 23:13 | posts: 2,283 | Location: TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdKiefer View Post
IMO, no, I was under same thing, had WU set to defer but i gave in after 2 months.
But there really no need if your not into MS apps and new stuff, if you just want a stable OS, I don't see any need.
My update seemed so far to go ok, but its only few hrs and only tried 1 game out (BF1), so far so good.
Well, it makes sense to just stay where I am (ain't broke dont' fix it?) but I ended up using the trial of Acronis so that I could just exclude my C: drive games from a system backup. Made my image, updated to CU and now I'm just going through all of the new settings and what not. I did notice that I have WAY more processes running compared to the AU. I had ~40 processes after booting to desktop before, and now it sits at about 150 processes just after the upgrade to the most recent OS stuff.

As much as this is killing my "lean OS" OCD kind of thing, I'm just going to leave it as is and see how things go. Overall Windows does feel a bit more sluggish and less snappy so I'm not too excited about that. I'm off to try and load some games and do some other stuff to see if it all works or not. Now I've read stuff about games not launching sometimes on the CU, was that tied to the whole Game Bar thing or was is the "disable fullscreen optimizations" checkbox? Just curious in case I end up having to troubleshoot some things.

Old
  (#636)
lucidus
Ancient Guru

Videocard: MSI Gaming X GTX 1070
Processor: i7 6700K 4.5Ghz 1.28v
Mainboard: Asus Maximus 8 Hero
Memory: Vengeance 32GB 3000Mhz
Soundcard: Onboard + H/K Soundsticks
PSU: 850W EVGA Supernova
Default 06-15-2017, 23:24 | posts: 9,935 | Location: Republic of Kekistan

Quote:
Well, it makes sense to just stay where I am (ain't broke dont' fix it?) but I ended up using the trial of Acronis so that I could just exclude my C: drive games from a system backup. Made my image, updated to CU and now I'm just going through all of the new settings and what not. I did notice that I have WAY more processes running compared to the AU. I had ~40 processes after booting to desktop before, and now it sits at about 150 processes just after the upgrade to the most recent OS stuff.

As much as this is killing my "lean OS" OCD kind of thing, I'm just going to leave it as is and see how things go. Overall Windows does feel a bit more sluggish and less snappy so I'm not too excited about that. I'm off to try and load some games and do some other stuff to see if it all works or not. Now I've read stuff about games not launching sometimes on the CU, was that tied to the whole Game Bar thing or was is the "disable fullscreen optimizations" checkbox? Just curious in case I end up having to troubleshoot some things.
You're seeing more processes because RS2 no longer clubs multiple services under svchost if you have more than 3.5GB of RAM, which is practically everyone these days.

I only missed night light when I moved back to RS1 to RS2 so I installed flux.

If you play UWP games, some may require newer builds of windows so you may have to update eventually. There's also game mode but it had no effect for me.

RS2 is fine except for them messing around with the win+x menu and removing the Display applet from CP. YMMV with their updates, my desktop had bad luck but other, older, machines didn't have any issues.

Old
  (#637)
EdKiefer
Maha Guru

Soundcard:
Default 06-16-2017, 02:05 | posts: 1,320

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucidus View Post
You're seeing more processes because RS2 no longer clubs multiple services under svchost if you have more than 3.5GB of RAM, which is practically everyone these days.

If you play UWP games, some may require newer builds of windows so you may have to update eventually. There's also game mode but it had no effect for me.

RS2 is fine except for them messing around with the win+x menu and removing the Display applet from CP. YMMV with their updates, my desktop had bad luck but other, older, machines didn't have any issues.
http://winaero.com/comment.php?comment.news.30

Old
  (#638)
BuildeR2
Maha Guru

Default 06-16-2017, 03:30 | posts: 2,283 | Location: TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucidus View Post

Ahh. Upon closer inspection, as I'm messing around and figuring out what the CU changed, I see now that the "Details" tab of Task Manager is indeed filled with dozens of single svchost.exe entries. I've trimmed out what I can so far and gotten it down to 101 processes running at desktop. I can take about 9 more out if I really want to go barebones, but I'm going to run with where it's at for a week or so and see how things behave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdKiefer View Post
Awesome tool, awesome site, awesome dude. That Winaero tweaker will be an awesome thing to have in my "Guru toolset". Thanks.

Old
  (#639)
Anarion
Ancient Guru

Default 06-16-2017, 22:19 | posts: 12,884 | Location: Finland

Well... I decided to give ReFS a try for my striped disks.

Old
  (#640)
BuildeR2
Maha Guru

Default 06-17-2017, 01:32 | posts: 2,283 | Location: TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
Well... I decided to give ReFS a try for my striped disks.
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaand the results are? Faster boot? Higher read/write? Do you have any previous scores to compare to?

Old
  (#641)
JonasBeckman
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Sapphire R9 Fury OC
Processor: i7-3930K @ 4.1Ghz
Mainboard: Asus Rampage IV Extreme
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB
Soundcard: Asus ROG Phoebus
PSU: Corsair AX 1200W
Default 06-17-2017, 04:34 | posts: 13,082 | Location: Sweden

It's more secure I believe, I'm not 100% sure though but I think it was something about that for this partition format.

EDIT: Yeah.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReFS

(And it can't be used as a boot drive yet.)

Last edited by JonasBeckman; 06-17-2017 at 04:37.

Old
  (#642)
Anarion
Ancient Guru

Default 06-17-2017, 06:48 | posts: 12,884 | Location: Finland

Quote:
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaand the results are? Faster boot? Higher read/write? Do you have any previous scores to compare to?
Since I don't have the file integrity on it may be very similar to NTFS but I did read somewhere that it could be better for striped (i.e. RAID0) disks.

Old
  (#643)
mbk1969
Ancient Guru

Videocard: GeForce GTX 970
Processor: I7-4930
Mainboard: Asus p9x79
Memory: G Skill RipjawZ, 16GB
Soundcard: Onboard + FiiO E17
PSU: 1000 W
Default 06-17-2017, 14:48 | posts: 3,445 | Location: Moscow, Russia

I updated my Win10 to CU. All works it seems. Will try games later.

I noticed new Power Plan setting in processor settings group:
75b0ae3f-bce0-45a7-8c89-c9611c25e100
Maximum processor frequency
Specify the approximate maximum frequency of your processor (in MHz).

By default it sits with "0MHz", meaning "no cap" I guess.

The ability to copy current path in registry editor is so welcome (and so late to be implemented, but better later than never).

Old
  (#644)
holystarlight
Master Guru

Videocard: Asus 1080 Strix SLI
Processor: Intel 6950x 4.5ghz
Mainboard: Asus Rampage V Extreme 10
Memory: G.Skill 32gb 3200mhz
Soundcard: Chord Dave DAC / WA22
PSU: Corsair AX1500i
Default 06-17-2017, 16:48 | posts: 706 | Location: England

Quote:
you cant boot from a ReFS file system, and his using a dynamic windows raid, so also not bootable, my experience of ReFS, its brilliant when it comes to corruption prevention. but performance is about the same as NTFS, but faaar more resilient when it comes to sudden power cuts or random corruption (overclocking and bsod lol). but there still some limitations like symlinks support (Plex needs this for its data base) and such. but overall its brilliant for a data storage and mirrored raid drives.

Windows server 2016 with storage pools using ReFS with file integrity and storage Tiering (SSD/HDD read/write caching)

Also using it on my windows 10 machine but without the storage pool setup and it works very well, I wish you could boot from it tho!

Last edited by holystarlight; 06-17-2017 at 16:58.

Old
  (#645)
mbk1969
Ancient Guru

Videocard: GeForce GTX 970
Processor: I7-4930
Mainboard: Asus p9x79
Memory: G Skill RipjawZ, 16GB
Soundcard: Onboard + FiiO E17
PSU: 1000 W
Default 06-18-2017, 12:03 | posts: 3,445 | Location: Moscow, Russia

And strange enough - no more notorious DCOM errors in events. Kinda miss them.

Old
  (#646)
Anarion
Ancient Guru

Default 06-18-2017, 12:37 | posts: 12,884 | Location: Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by holystarlight View Post
you cant boot from a ReFS file system, and his using a dynamic windows raid, so also not bootable, my experience of ReFS, its brilliant when it comes to corruption prevention. but performance is about the same as NTFS, but faaar more resilient when it comes to sudden power cuts or random corruption (overclocking and bsod lol). but there still some limitations like symlinks support (Plex needs this for its data base) and such. but overall its brilliant for a data storage and mirrored raid drives.

Windows server 2016 with storage pools using ReFS with file integrity and storage Tiering (SSD/HDD read/write caching)

Also using it on my windows 10 machine but without the storage pool setup and it works very well, I wish you could boot from it tho!
These results are so weird when the test size is small... One HDD doesn't get anywhere close on my system to this. Even with 100MB test size the random 4K write is ~13x higher. I guess there's some kind of caching going on (either by Windows RAID0, ReFS or both combines). Obviously things normalise with higher test size.

Two Samsung HD103SJ's in Windows RAID0. Seems legit...

By the way, there's one pretty big downside: It's not possible to install Windows Store apps on ReFS partition.

Last edited by Anarion; 06-18-2017 at 13:07.

Old
  (#647)
AsiJu
Ancient Guru

Videocard: EVGA 980Ti SC+/Xtreme IV
Processor: Ryzen5 1600
Mainboard: ASRock X370 Killer SLI
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ 3000/C14
Soundcard: X-Fi Titanium + Z906
PSU: Tt. Toughpower XT 875 W
Default 06-18-2017, 21:10 | posts: 3,454 | Location: Finland

I clean installed CU again, to be 100 % sure my system is clean (got malware/adware a while back).

Once installed WU naturally downloaded and installed a driver for Graphics card. Thought I'd DDU it and install the newest one as usual but before I did that I realized the WU drivers do not contain driver telemetry.

No PhysX or GE either so pretty clean. PhysX is easy enough to download/install separately if needed.

I know you can manually mod and install drivers without telemetry but given the driver seems solid too (382.05) I think I'm gonna do the unthinkable and actually let WU manage my GPU driver for the time being...

Old
  (#648)
EdKiefer
Maha Guru

Soundcard:
Default 06-18-2017, 23:29 | posts: 1,320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
These results are so weird when the test size is small... One HDD doesn't get anywhere close on my system to this. Even with 100MB test size the random 4K write is ~13x higher. I guess there's some kind of caching going on (either by Windows RAID0, ReFS or both combines). Obviously things normalise with higher test size.

Two Samsung HD103SJ's in Windows RAID0. Seems legit...

By the way, there's one pretty big downside: It's not possible to install Windows Store apps on ReFS partition.
here mine for 850evo, non raid, 50mb test.

CrystalDiskMark 5.1.2 x64 (C) 2007-2016 hiyohiyo
Crystal Dew World : http://crystalmark.info/
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
* MB/s = 1,000,000 bytes/s [SATA/600 = 600,000,000 bytes/s]
* KB = 1000 bytes, KiB = 1024 bytes

Sequential Read (Q= 32,T= 1) : 550.450 MB/s
Sequential Write (Q= 32,T= 1) : 491.093 MB/s
Random Read 4KiB (Q= 32,T= 1) : 328.377 MB/s [ 80170.2 IOPS]
Random Write 4KiB (Q= 32,T= 1) : 289.718 MB/s [ 70731.9 IOPS]
Sequential Read (T= 1) : 502.726 MB/s
Sequential Write (T= 1) : 487.873 MB/s
Random Read 4KiB (Q= 1,T= 1) : 34.972 MB/s [ 8538.1 IOPS]
Random Write 4KiB (Q= 1,T= 1) : 76.939 MB/s [ 18783.9 IOPS]

Test : 50 MiB [C: 64.3% (298.9/464.8 GiB)] (x2) [Interval=5 sec]
Date : 2017/06/07 18:25:14

Old
  (#649)
tsunami231
Ancient Guru

Videocard: EVGA 660gtx sig2
Processor: i7 6700k NH-D14
Mainboard: Asrock z170 Extreme 4
Memory: Corsair LPX 2400mhz 16gb
Soundcard: Realtek HD Audio
PSU: Antec HCG 750m
Default 06-19-2017, 17:16 | posts: 7,337 | Location: USA

so i noticed WU now has warning text in yellow on WU page if the system has pending updates.

Think maybe MS trying to scare people in to doing the updates, that are using notify before download settings??

I also hear MS is now make AV companies jump threw alot hoops to be allowed on MS AV list

Old
  (#650)
EdKiefer
Maha Guru

Soundcard:
Default 06-19-2017, 18:20 | posts: 1,320

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunami231 View Post
so i noticed WU now has warning text in yellow on WU page if the system has pending updates.

Think maybe MS trying to scare people in to doing the updates, that are using notify before download settings??

I also hear MS is now make AV companies jump threw alot hoops to be allowed on MS AV list
Yeh, they made changes in CU, if you look at WD icon an settings, if you have cluod off option but realtime on you still get the yellow mark on icon with "action recommended".

On AV, well they might not be wrong, many AV can mess with system files and resources.