Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > General Chat > The Guru's Pub
The Guru's Pub Hang out with Guru3D's staff and other visitors, have a nice civilized chat, nothing hardware related though !

Old
  (#51)
rm082e
Master Guru

Videocard: GTX 970 SLI Reference
Processor: i5 3570k
Mainboard: ASRock Extreme4
Memory: 16GB
Soundcard: Klipsch ProMedia 2.1
PSU: 720w
Default 01-16-2017, 14:49 | posts: 274 | Location: Oklahoma

Started in 1995 at age 15, quit in 2008. I used the patch and the lozenge together for a couple of weeks, then went to the lower patch, then dropped the patch. I keep the lozenge up for way too long. I have a serious oral fixation that I eventually had to replace with sugar free gum. I started lifting weights and jogging in 2010 and I'm enjoying living a healthy lifestyle. I also stopped all drinking and partying, so I'm a lame straight-edge dad.

Admittedly, have an on-off addiction to Affrin was probably what caused it, but I've only got about 10% of my sense of smell left. Sadly, I still smell all the bad stuff, I just can't smell sweet smells anywhere near as well as I used to. Also I get upper respiratory infections really easily, so I have to make judicious use of Guaifenesin to keep my chest colds from turning into really nasty pneumonia.

Old
  (#52)
sykozis
Ancient Guru

Videocard: XFX RX 470
Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 1600
Mainboard: MSI B350 Tomahawk
Memory: Corsair DDR4-2666
Soundcard: Realtek....
PSU: Corsair CX750M
Default 01-16-2017, 15:40 | posts: 19,890 | Location: US East Coast

If you're not currently a smoker or using a vape.....don't start vaping. If you are vaping to quit smoking, you should be reducing your nicotine level until you reach zero, and then focusing on quitting vaping.

Nasal sprays can result in nasal and respiratory infections when used over long periods of time. The recommendation is to use nasal sprays for no longer than 7 days, but if you have a need to use a nasal spray for that long, you should probably be seeing a doctor for the issue anyway.

Remember, nothing done in excess is healthy....

Old
  (#53)
Stormyandcold
Ancient Guru

Videocard: MSI GTX1070 Gaming X
Processor: i7 6700k
Mainboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming
Memory: Corsair LPX 4x8GB 3200mhz
Soundcard: RME Babyface/Shure SRH840
PSU: Silverstone Strider 700w
Default 01-16-2017, 16:18 | posts: 4,681 | Location: Wolverhampton, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by sykozis View Post
Entertaining reading...... The only study that showed that vapor from an e-cig contains carcinogens, was funded by several large tobacco companies. The same ones that have tried to have every product intended to help smokers quit, banned from sale. In the study, which you can find in the New England Journal of Medicine, was improperly conducted, within the guidelines set forth by the tobacco companies, requiring e-cigs to be operated at unsafe power levels, using known toxic components. Those products are no longer being produced.

For any medical professional to even claim that the air we breath is safe, should lead one to question that "professional's" qualifications considering the number of carcinogens found in the air we breath.

For anyone to claim that any product inhaled into the body is safe, would be negligent. Even nasal sprays that are commonly recommended to alleviate nasal congestion aren't safe to use. To reference any study done within the US on any product, whether it be for vaping, food or medical use, is ignorance at it's best. The FDA declared saccharine to be safe....yet, it's been linked to numerous diseases, even in quantities deemed safe by the FDA. When metabolized, saccharine becomes toxic to the human body. The FDA has also relaxed testing requirements for drugs recently.... The FDA is a joke and a poor source of any information. Much like the rest of the US Gov't, they want to regulate as much of our lives as they can, even resorting to scare tactics to convince people that FDA regulation is a good thing.
Personally, before even researching those links I already knew it's not fully safe due to how it affected me. No-one needs to tell me anything. I've already stated my own experience with vaping and I stand by my conclusions that it's great for saving money and as a smoking replacement (which is how I was using it).

However, it had an effect on my lungs and tongue after doing it for 7 months and I stand by that statement.

Last edited by Stormyandcold; 01-16-2017 at 17:44.

Old
  (#54)
Ghosty
Ancient Guru

Videocard: GT 840M
Processor: I5 4210M 3.2GHz
Mainboard: -
Memory: DD3L 8G
Soundcard: Creative Sound Blaster
PSU: -
Default 01-16-2017, 16:45 | posts: 4,854

I personally wouldn't bother with Vaping either. If you are going to quit, then quit. We still don't understand the long term damage it can do.

Old
  (#55)
eclap
Banned

Videocard: Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
Processor: i7 7700k @5ghz NH-D15
Mainboard: Asus ROG Maximux IX Hero
Memory: 16GB Vengeance 3200mhz
Soundcard: AuneT1/AD700/DT880/HD650
PSU: XFX Black 750W 80+ Gold
Default 01-16-2017, 18:50 | posts: 31,511 | Location: Hampshire, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post
I personally wouldn't bother with Vaping either. If you are going to quit, then quit. We still don't understand the long term damage it can do.
This. Saying that, a LOT of people quit smoking after switching to vaping. Either way, good luck to all trying to quit.

Old
  (#56)
Ghosty
Ancient Guru

Default 01-16-2017, 19:04 | posts: 4,854

I replaced smoking with jogging after I quit. The brain releases the same endorphins that you get from smoking.

Old
  (#57)
sykozis
Ancient Guru

Default 01-16-2017, 19:41 | posts: 19,890 | Location: US East Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormyandcold View Post
However, it had an effect on my lungs and tongue after doing it for 7 months and I stand by that statement.
The effects you described can be attributed to a PG allergy which appears to be quite common.

Vaping should not be used as a smoking replacement. Vaping should only be used as a nicotine cessation method much like the nicotine patches, gum and lozenges.

Quote:
The same could be said of the nicotine patches, gum and lozenges....lol I tried to follow the instructions for the nicotine patches and ended up having a damn seizure (which is actually one of the documented side effects). The nicotine gum can cause gum disease, among other problems....as can the lozenges.

Old
  (#58)
eclap
Banned

Default 01-16-2017, 19:45 | posts: 31,511 | Location: Hampshire, UK

Quote:
I replaced smoking with jogging after I quit. The brain releases the same endorphins that you get from smoking.
Well, you can't really go for a 5 minute jog while at work 10 times a day. Doesn't work like that in real life.

Old
  (#59)
Ghosty
Ancient Guru

Default 01-16-2017, 19:47 | posts: 4,854

Quote:
Originally Posted by sykozis View Post

The same could be said of the nicotine patches, gum and lozenges....lol I tried to follow the instructions for the nicotine patches and ended up having a damn seizure (which is actually one of the documented side effects). The nicotine gum can cause gum disease, among other problems....as can the lozenges.
I've tried both myself. Didn't take me long before I started smoking again. The patches and gum are a kind of addiction in themselves because you can become reliant on using them to stop the cravings for months. Plus the nicotine is directly absorbed in to the blood stream, which can't be good.

Old
  (#60)
Scorch666
Ancient Guru

Videocard: GTX 1060 6GB.
Processor: I7 7700HQ
Mainboard: HM175
Memory: 16GB 2400MHZ
Soundcard: ONBOARD
PSU: LAPTOP 150W
Default 01-16-2017, 20:49 | posts: 2,752 | Location: M.K. England.

The British Medical Association have concluded that vaping is 95% safer than smoking cigs.
A heart surgeon in Canada also supports the use of vaping. Infact he even owns a vape shop.
It has also been concluded that nicotine is no more harmfull than say caffine. And is no more addictive as caffine.
But at the end of the day people still need to keep studying the effects of it, and moving forward instead of saying wrong info published 10 years ago.

Old
  (#61)
AsiJu
Ancient Guru

Videocard: EVGA 980Ti SC+/Xtreme IV
Processor: Ryzen5 1600
Mainboard: ASRock X370 Killer SLI
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ 3000/C14
Soundcard: X-Fi Titanium + Z906
PSU: Tt. Toughpower XT 875 W
Default 01-16-2017, 21:03 | posts: 3,467 | Location: Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorch666 View Post
The British Medical Association have concluded that vaping is 95% safer than smoking cigs.
A heart surgeon in Canada also supports the use of vaping. Infact he even owns a vape shop.
It has also been concluded that nicotine is no more harmfull than say caffine. And is no more addictive as caffine.
But at the end of the day people still need to keep studying the effects of it, and moving forward instead of saying wrong info published 10 years ago.
Yup, nicotine isn't the most toxic/carcinogenic agent in smokes, actually far from it.

Not saying nicotine isn't harmful but it's all the other stuff there which is really bad and which you get rid of with vaping (vs. smoking).

Agree long-term effects of vaping should and need to be studied further but as a replacement to smoking it's a no-brainer really. Imo.

(Personally I wasn't aiming to quit when I started vaping but chose a less risky alternative, as there was one, instead.)

Old
  (#62)
sykozis
Ancient Guru

Default 01-16-2017, 21:04 | posts: 19,890 | Location: US East Coast

Quote:
Caffeine isn't safe either....lol

The Japanese did a study on the effects of "second hand vapor on bystanders" and concluded that it was harmless. The only direct studies I've seen on "first hand vapor" have been funded by "big tobacco" and the guidelines for the study required the use of a silica based atomizer, operated at 5V, which is well outside the operating range of the silica based wicks, which are only recommended to be operated at up to 4.2V. When 5V is supplied to a silica based wick as done in the "big tobacco" funded study, the emissions from the silica wick become more toxic than a cigarette.

Studies are only good, if done properly. However, seeing as how the tobacco industry stands to lose tens of billions, they won't allow a study to be done properly within the US, nor will the FDA because they want to keep the tax dollars rolling in from "big tobacco"....while attempting to tax the vaping industry out of business to protect "big tobacco"....

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsiJu View Post
Yup, nicotine isn't the most toxic/carcinogenic agent in smokes, actually far from it.

Not saying nicotine isn't harmful but it's all the other stuff there which is really bad and which you get rid of with vaping (vs. smoking).

Agree long-term effects of vaping should and need to be studied further but as a replacement to smoking it's a no-brainer really. Imo.

(Personally I wasn't aiming to quit when I started vaping but chose a less risky alternative, as there was one, instead.)
Not sure about other countries, but Arsenic is commonly added to cigarettes in the US... Arsenic is used as a pesticide/rat poison....lol

Old
  (#63)
RealNC
Maha Guru

Videocard: EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
Processor: Intel Core i5 2500K
Mainboard: MSI P67A-C43
Memory: DDR3 16GB
Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, JBL Spot
PSU: Corsair HX650
Default 01-16-2017, 21:07 | posts: 1,021

There's still a lot of research that needs to be done. Vaping hasn't been around yet for long to actually make good research possible. Tobacco smoking research had hundreds or years of history and at least 50 years worth of medical data to work with. Vaping isn't anywhere near that yet.

In any event, the impression I get is that most respected scientists make an "educated guess" given the little research available right now, and that guess goes like "probably less harmful than tobacco smoking", with the emphasis on "probably." And that can mean that 20 years from now something might turn up that proves vaping is just as harmful. We just don't have enough data yet.

Last edited by RealNC; 01-16-2017 at 21:11.

Old
  (#64)
Corrupt^
Ancient Guru

Videocard: ASUS 1080GTX STRIX
Processor: Core i7 5820K
Mainboard: ASUS X99-A/USB 3.1
Memory: Kingston HypX 16GB 3Ghz
Soundcard: Essence STXII Senn. HD650
PSU: Super Flower 1200W
Default 01-16-2017, 21:23 | posts: 6,565 | Location: Belgium

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclap View Post
This. Saying that, a LOT of people quit smoking after switching to vaping. Either way, good luck to all trying to quit.
It's because you can quit very gradually (reducing nicotine levels) to the point where you're still smoking, but inhale no more nicotine. After that you simply need to quit the habit.

Old
  (#65)
eclap
Banned

Default 01-16-2017, 21:24 | posts: 31,511 | Location: Hampshire, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrupt^ View Post
It's because you can quit very gradually (reducing nicotine levels) to the point where you're still smoking, but inhale no more nicotine. After that you simply need to quit the habit.
technically you're not smoking at all, you're vaping, there's no smoke, there's vapor.

Old
  (#66)
CalculuS
Maha Guru

Videocard: 6950 Asus DC2U
Processor: I7 920 4.1ghz 1.3v
Mainboard: Asus P6T Deluxe
Memory: 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz/CL8
Soundcard: Xonar DX
PSU: EVGA 500W
Default 01-16-2017, 21:44 | posts: 2,729 | Location: Netherlands

In my opinion if you switched from cigarettes to vaping then you simply turned your hobby from a dangerous one to a faggy one.

Old
  (#67)
Ghosty
Ancient Guru

Default 01-16-2017, 22:24 | posts: 4,854

Quote:
Early trails have shown that with excessive use vaping can damage the throat. So to say it's 'safe' it not true at all.

Old
  (#68)
PhantomCracking
Master Guru

Videocard: XFX R7970 DD Ghz
Processor: i5-750 / Noctua U12P SE2
Mainboard: MSI P55-GD65
Memory: RipjawsZ 4x4GB
Soundcard: Xonar DG/ALC889 SPDIF
Default 01-16-2017, 22:29 | posts: 564 | Location: Tennessee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealNC View Post
There's still a lot of research that needs to be done. Vaping hasn't been around yet for long to actually make good research possible. Tobacco smoking research had hundreds or years of history and at least 50 years worth of medical data to work with. Vaping isn't anywhere near that yet.

In any event, the impression I get is that most respected scientists make an "educated guess" given the little research available right now, and that guess goes like "probably less harmful than tobacco smoking", with the emphasis on "probably." And that can mean that 20 years from now something might turn up that proves vaping is just as harmful. We just don't have enough data yet.
QFT

My thoughts exactly!

Old
  (#69)
RealNC
Maha Guru

Videocard: EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
Processor: Intel Core i5 2500K
Mainboard: MSI P67A-C43
Memory: DDR3 16GB
Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, JBL Spot
Default 01-16-2017, 22:31 | posts: 1,021

Quote:
Early trails have shown that with excessive use vaping can damage the throat. So to say it's 'safe' it not true at all.
Well, seeing some people vape these HUGE clouds (directly to lung), I don't think we need medical experts in figuring out your throat's not gonna last for long :-P

I mean, isn't the vapor's temperature 300 degrees or something like that?

Old
  (#70)
Ghosty
Ancient Guru

Default 01-16-2017, 22:49 | posts: 4,854

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealNC View Post
Well, seeing some people vape these HUGE clouds (directly to lung), I don't think we need medical experts in figuring out your throat's not gonna last for long :-P

I mean, isn't the vapor's temperature 300 degrees or something like that?
The scary part is that no one knows what is in the vape they are inhaling. Try and find and info on it and you wont.

Old
  (#71)
Scorch666
Ancient Guru

Default 01-16-2017, 23:05 | posts: 2,752 | Location: M.K. England.

At the end of the day. People still smoke, people vape, people drink alcohol, people drive cars, People cross roads, and people wake up after a sleep. ALL are considered dangerous. So who are we to judge? There's a risk in everything we do. How high on the list is vaping? Seriously.

Christ there's an element of risk going for a crap.

Old
  (#72)
Ghosty
Ancient Guru

Default 01-16-2017, 23:07 | posts: 4,854

Quote:
At the end of the day. People still smoke, people vape, people drink alcohol, people drive cars, People cross roads, and people wake up after a sleep. ALL are considered dangerous. So who are we to judge? There's a risk in everything we do. How high on the list is vaping? Seriously.
That's what they used to say about smoking cigarettes for over 50 years. We all know how that turned out.

Old
  (#73)
Scorch666
Ancient Guru

Default 01-16-2017, 23:16 | posts: 2,752 | Location: M.K. England.

Quote:
That's what they used to say about smoking cigarettes for over 50 years. We all know how that turned out.
My God!! Your right.

Are you familier with the film Invasion of the body snatchers? I wish we all become like them aliens, where everyone will be the same emotionless, boring beings. That would solve everyones problems in the world.

Old
  (#74)
Ghosty
Ancient Guru

Default 01-16-2017, 23:23 | posts: 4,854

Quote:
My God!! Your right.

Are you familier with the film Invasion of the body snatchers? I wish we all become like them aliens, where everyone will be the same emotionless, boring beings. That would solve everyones problems in the world.
What does this have anything to do with vaping?

Old
  (#75)
Scorch666
Ancient Guru

Default 01-16-2017, 23:35 | posts: 2,752 | Location: M.K. England.

We shouldn't be fickle. We are all unique and want to do different things.