Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > Affiliates > MSI AfterBurner Overclock Application Discussion forum
MSI AfterBurner Overclock Application Discussion forum This forum is intended for MSI customers for questions on the AfterBurner Overclock Utility based off Rivatuner. In this section the users help each other out with answers as well as support staff from MSI.

Old
  (#76)
CK the Greek
Maha Guru

Videocard: 2x970G1 SLI,Gsync,3DVsn2
Processor: i5 4670K @4.4Ghz H2O H110
Mainboard: GA Z87X-UD5H
Memory: G.skill F3-2400C10D16GTX
Soundcard: Premium 5.1 Snd Sys
PSU: Corsair RM1000x
Default 12-03-2016, 10:50 | posts: 1,190 | Location: Greece

Even with last update they didn't put RTSS in their white list.

Old
  (#77)
JonasBeckman
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Sapphire R9 Fury OC
Processor: i7-3930K @ 4.1Ghz
Mainboard: Asus Rampage IV Extreme
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB
Soundcard: Asus ROG Phoebus
PSU: Corsair AX 1200W
Default 12-03-2016, 11:50 | posts: 13,186 | Location: Sweden

Ubisoft probably had that patch in testing since the PC version of the game went gold though (It is mainly the same as the console version of the patch after all but with two PC specific additions.) whereas this Easy Anti Cheat whitelist addition is a more recent change so it will be the next game update that contains this EAC whitelist change.
(But who knows when that will be released.)

Although how that whitelisting works I guess we'll just have to wait and see, my guess is Afterburner 4.3.0 and RTSS 6.5.0 with hopefully 6.5.1 also being whitelisted though that will leave the current 6.6.0 beta as unsupported but I'm guessing the EAC developers can't easily whitelist something that is currently still actively in development and could change from release to release until finalized.
(Depends on how it's whitelisted though but I assume there's more than just looking up the version number.)

EDIT: Ah I see Hilbert already posted some info on how that will work.
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread....70#post5365670

Old
  (#78)
dr_rus
Maha Guru

Videocard: GTX 1080 GRP
Processor: i7-6850K
Mainboard: Sabertooth X99
Memory: 64 GB DDR4
Soundcard: SB X-Fi Ti
PSU: CM V1200 Platinum
Default 12-03-2016, 12:32 | posts: 1,745

Something strange is going on with a delayed injection in latest RTSS beta - sometimes it doesn't work for some reason for GameOverlayRenderer64.dll (yeah, it's added to Global profile). Mostly happening with The Witcher 3 - on one game launch it works and on the other one doesn't, with nothing being changed between them.

Old
  (#79)
dr_rus
Maha Guru

Default 12-08-2016, 17:49 | posts: 1,745

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK the Greek View Post
Even with last update they didn't put RTSS in their white list.
They did now: http://watchdogs.ubisoft.com/watchdo...update-1061357

Quote:
Updates to EasyAntiCheat integration

o Adds compatibility with MSI Afterburner (Guru3d RTSS v6.5.1, v6.5.0, v6.4.0, v6.2.0)

Old
  (#80)
ivanosky
Member Guru

Videocard: EVGA GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0+
Processor: Intel Core I5 3570k
Mainboard: Gigabyte GAB75M-D3H
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury 8 GB
Soundcard:
PSU: Antec EarthWatts 650
Default 12-10-2016, 01:52 | posts: 56 | Location: Havana, Cuba

Hello Unwinder, I have a laptop using a GTX 960M with Optimus and Afterburner is not showing GPU and Memory clock speeds on Windows startup. If I close Afterburner and RTSS and open it again, it shows the clock speeds. I already set a startup delay to Afterburner but it didnt work. Im using the latest Afterburner, RTSS and Nvidia driver. Do you know how can I fix it. Thanks in advanced.

Old
  (#81)
jbmcmillan
Maha Guru

Videocard: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX970
Processor: i5 2500k@4.4 GHZ.
Mainboard: Asus P8 z77 vl-k
Memory: Gskill 2x4GB 1600 DDR3
Soundcard: Onboard realtek
PSU: OCZ 1000 watt Z series
Default 12-10-2016, 02:42 | posts: 2,283 | Location: Langley,B.C. Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanosky View Post
Hello Unwinder, I have a laptop using a GTX 960M with Optimus and Afterburner is not showing GPU and Memory clock speeds on Windows startup. If I close Afterburner and RTSS and open it again, it shows the clock speeds. I already set a startup delay to Afterburner but it didnt work. Im using the latest Afterburner, RTSS and Nvidia driver. Do you know how can I fix it. Thanks in advanced.
It's one of those things where mobile chips aren't supported so if it works great if it doesn't nothing can be done really.

Old
  (#82)
Digika
Member Guru

Videocard: GTX 670
Processor: Intel Core i7
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: 630
Default 12-10-2016, 03:15 | posts: 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unwinder View Post
The first beta of RTSS 6.6.0 is available for those who wanted to see framerate limiting support for Vulkan. Vulkan support is still being developed and this build provides just initial Vulkan hooking support, so only the following things are currently implemented:

- Vulkan frame presentation interception and framerate statistics collection, i.e. framerate/frametime for Vulkan applications should be visible on the graphs in MSI Afterburner hardware monitoring module now
- Framerate limiting support for Vulkan applications

The following things are not implemented yet and will be added in future 6.6.0 betas:

- OSD and screen/videocapture for Vulkan applications are not implemented yet

And important note:

- RTSS must be started BEFORE launching a Vulkan application to provide reliable Vulkan hooking. Dynamic start of RTSS during Vulkan application runtime is not supported.

http://download-eu2.guru3d.com/rtss/...up660Beta1.rar

Any feedback on current implementation of Vulkan support is welcomed.
Can I replace RTSS in my current 4.3.0 Afterburner + latest stable RTSS combo?

Old
  (#83)
dr_rus
Maha Guru

Default 12-12-2016, 22:33 | posts: 1,745

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digika View Post
Can I replace RTSS in my current 4.3.0 Afterburner + latest stable RTSS combo?
Install the new one on top of your current (stable) installation.

Old
  (#84)
fabiobad
Member Guru

Videocard: GTX 1060 ARMOR 6G OCV1
Processor: i7 4770k @3.9Ghz
Mainboard:
Memory: 16GB
Soundcard:
PSU: -
Default 12-13-2016, 08:28 | posts: 65

Quote:
The first beta of RTSS 6.6.0 is available for those who wanted to see framerate limiting support for Vulkan. Vulkan support is still being developed and this build provides just initial Vulkan hooking support, so only the following things are currently implemented:

- Vulkan frame presentation interception and framerate statistics collection, i.e. framerate/frametime for Vulkan applications should be visible on the graphs in MSI Afterburner hardware monitoring module now
- Framerate limiting support for Vulkan applications

The following things are not implemented yet and will be added in future 6.6.0 betas:

- OSD and screen/videocapture for Vulkan applications are not implemented yet

And important note:

- RTSS must be started BEFORE launching a Vulkan application to provide reliable Vulkan hooking. Dynamic start of RTSS during Vulkan application runtime is not supported.

http://download-eu2.guru3d.com/rtss/...up660Beta1.rar

Any feedback on current implementation of Vulkan support is welcomed.
Hi!
any news on Beta 2?
You should call it 6.6.6 :'D

Thank you!

p.s. can I install RTSS Beta1 without MSI Afterburner?

Old
  (#85)
Unwinder

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 12-13-2016, 08:37 | posts: 13,125 | Location: Taganrog, Russia

Beta 2 link is available on the previous page.

Alexey Nicolaychuk aka Unwinder, RivaTuner creator

Old
  (#86)
dDub

Videocard: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC
Processor: Intel i7 5820k 4.3GHz
Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-x99-UD3P r.1
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16G
Soundcard:
PSU: 1000W
Default 12-17-2016, 07:09 | posts: 14 | Location: Boston

BF1/The Division with Afterburner 4.3.0 finale stable / RTSS 6.6.0b2 both crash on startup with DX12 enabled. I'm not alone on this am I?

Old
  (#87)
jozef1605

Videocard: MSI R9 390 Gaming 8GB OC
Processor: i7 6700K
Mainboard: MSI Z170 Gaming Pro
Memory: 16GB DDR4 2660MHz Hyper F
Soundcard: SENNHEISER HD 380 pro
PSU: Corsair RMi750
Default 12-17-2016, 08:06 | posts: 3 | Location: Trnava/Slovakia

Works perfect but must use 16.11.5.

16.12.1 not working well because is not good for my 390.

Old
  (#88)
JonasBeckman
Ancient Guru

Default 12-17-2016, 08:33 | posts: 13,186 | Location: Sweden

From my understanding of the Clockblocker discussion for AMD GPU's it's because 16.12.1 / Catalyst ReLive moved many GCN GPU's from ADL or PowerPlay 6.0 and earlier (or what it was.) to the same version used by the 480 for Wattman compatibility with little regards to backwards compatibility thus why these problems and compatibility issues with other tools exist.
(I don't think there's any major problems for Nvidia but I can't say for certain since I'm also on a AMD GPU but I'm not seeing anything in the recent 376.xx release notes that could be a problem but then again AMD didn't exactly mention these ADL/PowerPlay changes in 16.12.1 either so who knows what could change between major driver revisions / driver branch changes or how to say, probably more than they list in the release notes in any case.)

Perhaps 16.12.2 or whatever comes next will be a bit more polished, I'm still using Afterburner myself but the Fury or GCN 1.2 GPU models seem to be doing pretty OK whereas GCN 1.1 and earlier users have reported a number of issues.

Though while I'm still using Afterburner the Wattman settings now controls most GPU functionality - not quite as good or adjustable but serviceable enough for me. - so Afterburner is at the moment mainly with RTSS for overlay support until maybe Afterburner 4.4.0 / RTSS 6.6.0 or whatever the next version will be is released which I'm guessing will have some either fixes or workarounds for some of these issues unless AMD fixes it on their end in a upcoming driver release, guessing there's room for a 16.12.2 driver at least before 17.1.1 or whatever the next driver in 2017 will be called/named/numbered.
(Well it seems unofficial overclocking mode is usable in AB already but that's a bit advanced for me, still need to learn more before I'm tampering with that.)

Last edited by JonasBeckman; 12-17-2016 at 08:38.

Old
  (#89)
dDub

Soundcard:
Default 12-17-2016, 23:39 | posts: 14 | Location: Boston

hrmn, well i'm on Nvidia 376.09 drivers. Maybe Nvidia drivers are not working. Also running both games fullscreen.

Old
  (#90)
JonasBeckman
Ancient Guru

Default 12-18-2016, 09:47 | posts: 13,186 | Location: Sweden

Battlefield One uses a special compatibility flag since the previous patch changed things around a bit with DX12 but even if they changed that again with this latest update that wouldn't explain why Division is being problematic.

Division does have some issues with DX12 currently where it's either not working for some or working very poorly with data not loading correctly and they completely missed to ship the needed .dll files for the Gameworks effects so HBAO+ and PCSS or HFTS should not be used until that's been fixed, perhaps if you disable those the game will behave a bit better but it's just a suggestion, I'm one of those who can't even get the game started under DX12 so I can't test RTSS 6.6.0b2 with it until they patch it. (The developers are aware about these problems at least.)

Also for general DX12 compatibility you can try setting "InjectionDelayDirect3D12=1" in "Riva Tuner Statistics Server\Profiles\Global" or on a per-profile basis and for BF One you can also try and disable the Origin overlay and see if that works. (The DX12 delay setting should ensure it's compatible though but the Origin client is updated fairly often and thus the overlay functionality might have changed so easiest to try with it disabled.)

in "Global" it looks something like this under the [Hooking] section with everything added to it, you only need to add settings you actually use though.

[Hooking]
EnableHooking=1
EnableSynchronization=1
EnableFloatingInjectionAddress=0
EnableDynamicOffsetDetection=0
EnableProxyProtection=1
CBTFlags=1
HookLoadLibrary=0
HookDirectDraw=0
HookDirect3D8=1
HookDirect3D8Release=0
HookDirect3D8ReleaseVT=0
HookDirect3D9=1
HookDirect3D9Release=0
HookDirect3D9ReleaseVT=0
HookDirect3DSwapChain9Present=1
HookDXGI=1
HookDXGISwapChainRelease=1
HookDirect3D12=1
HookOpenGL=1
HookVulkan=1
InjectionDelay=15000
InjectionDelayTriggers=igo32.dll,igo64.dll,steam_a pi.dll,steam_api64.dll
InjectionDelayBeep=0
InjectionDelayDirect3D12=1

For setting up the delay feature that's these settigns. ->

InjectionDelay=15000
InjectionDelayTriggers=igo32.dll,igo64.dll,steam_a pi.dll,steam_api64.dll
InjectionDelayDirect3D12=1

15 second delay (Also for DX12) when the presence of igo (Origin in-game overlay.) is detected or the Steam overlay.

Default is actually just the 64-bit files so the 32-bit ones might not even be needed but I added those for completeness.
(Could also add generic DirectX files for compatibility with e.g ReShade by adding d3d9.dll, dxgi.dll and d3d11.dll or d3d12.dll but you should try to keep it to a minimal from my understanding with the Origin and Steam - UPlay too? - overlays being known to be problematic.)

For Battlefield One the compatibility profile for that also sets this:
HookDXGISwapChainRelease=0

But I don't think you need to change it, hopefully it's just the overlay being problematic for Battlefield and well I can't really say for sure what's going on with the Division though UPlay does also allow you to disable the overlay feature and if it's via Steam then you'd need this delay function if the Steam overlay is also currently active.
(I don't need them so I just disable them but they can be useful I suppose.)

Probably made this explanation a bit complicated, primarily you'll want to set up the delay feature in RTSS for compatibility with either third party injectors (If needed, pretty sure ReShade will work regardless though to use that as a example.) and the Steam and Origin overlays are known to have compatibility issues with RTSS 6.5.0 and later now only using the IGO64.dll file so you have to add the Steam one back manually plus set up a delay time.
(DX12 delay is also off by default so that needs to be enabled which might be the main problem here as both these games were run with D3D12)

EDIT: And it is of course also possible to set this up on a per-profile basis for BF1.exe (Already has a template version with that DXGI swap chain setting.) and TheDivision.exe if you don't want/need to have it as a global setting.

Last edited by JonasBeckman; 12-18-2016 at 09:51.

Old
  (#91)
Unwinder

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 12-18-2016, 13:42 | posts: 13,125 | Location: Taganrog, Russia

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasBeckman View Post
Also for general DX12 compatibility you can try setting "InjectionDelayDirect3D12=1" in "Riva Tuner Statistics Server\Profiles\Global" or on a per-profile basis
That's really bad idea and quite opposite attempts to tweak it blindly will lead to general DX12 incompatibilities. I strongly do not recommend to alter default value for this setting.
Due to D3D12 API specifics there is no way to detect D3D12 presentation command queue reliably for single GPU configs (and no way to detect per-GPU AFR command queues at all for SLI/CF) without intercepting D3D12 swap chain creation. Due to that reason some D3D12 specific entry points are restricted to be injected with delay. Forcibly enabling the delay for them will make command queue detection to be heuristic and not working sometimes (for single GPUs) and impossible at all for multi-GPU systems.

Last edited by Unwinder; 12-18-2016 at 15:10.

Old
  (#92)
JonasBeckman
Ancient Guru

Default 12-18-2016, 15:26 | posts: 13,186 | Location: Sweden

Good to know.

Guessing that's how it is as a low-level API and since there's only a limited number of DirectX 12 games out at the moment setting up per-profile specific settings for those won't be too difficult while avoiding the "global" profile changes for compatibility.

Single GPU user here and no problems so far but I'll remember this, sounds like it could create various problems for multi-GPU users especially.
(Well now I better understand why it's not exposed in the RTSS settings screen, and likely why it's a separated setting to begin with.)

Last edited by JonasBeckman; 12-18-2016 at 15:55.

Old
  (#93)
PhazeDelta1

Videocard: EVGA 1080 FTW
Processor: Intel i7 6700k
Mainboard: Asus Sabertooth Z170
Memory: 32GB Corsair 2666MHz
Soundcard: Magni 2 Uber/Modi 2 Uber
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G3
Default 12-19-2016, 03:33 | posts: 15,653 | Location: USA

Quote:
Beta 2 link is available on the previous page.
Can you please add the following to the RTSS profile list and set application detection level to non for all? Thanks

iCloudServices.exe

CorsairLink4.exe

OriginThinSetupInternal.exe

Old
  (#94)
ninja750
Member Guru

Videocard: Sapphire R9 380 Dual-X
Processor: Intel i5 4670K
Mainboard: Asus Z87-A
Memory: 8GB Corsair Vengeance
Soundcard: Realtek ALC892 DTS Live
PSU: Cooler Master SP M2 520w
Default 12-20-2016, 15:01 | posts: 64 | Location: Italy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasBeckman View Post
From my understanding of the Clockblocker discussion for AMD GPU's it's because 16.12.1 / Catalyst ReLive moved many GCN GPU's from ADL or PowerPlay 6.0 and earlier (or what it was.) to the same version used by the 480 for Wattman compatibility with little regards to backwards compatibility thus why these problems and compatibility issues with other tools exist.
(I don't think there's any major problems for Nvidia but I can't say for certain since I'm also on a AMD GPU but I'm not seeing anything in the recent 376.xx release notes that could be a problem but then again AMD didn't exactly mention these ADL/PowerPlay changes in 16.12.1 either so who knows what could change between major driver revisions / driver branch changes or how to say, probably more than they list in the release notes in any case.)

Perhaps 16.12.2 or whatever comes next will be a bit more polished, I'm still using Afterburner myself but the Fury or GCN 1.2 GPU models seem to be doing pretty OK whereas GCN 1.1 and earlier users have reported a number of issues.

Though while I'm still using Afterburner the Wattman settings now controls most GPU functionality - not quite as good or adjustable but serviceable enough for me. - so Afterburner is at the moment mainly with RTSS for overlay support until maybe Afterburner 4.4.0 / RTSS 6.6.0 or whatever the next version will be is released which I'm guessing will have some either fixes or workarounds for some of these issues unless AMD fixes it on their end in a upcoming driver release, guessing there's room for a 16.12.2 driver at least before 17.1.1 or whatever the next driver in 2017 will be called/named/numbered.
(Well it seems unofficial overclocking mode is usable in AB already but that's a bit advanced for me, still need to learn more before I'm tampering with that.)
i think all we hope that both new msi ab and amd relive releases will fix the problem but

1) amd has no interest making oc compatibility with other software that is not crimson wattman panel

2) msi ab author says that simply there is no problem and suggest using official overclocking method (and that is ok, i use that) but for many of us it doesn't work or it makes artifacts ingame

Old
  (#95)
Unwinder

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 12-20-2016, 15:21 | posts: 13,125 | Location: Taganrog, Russia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja750 View Post
i think all we hope that both new msi ab and amd relive releases will fix the problem but

1) amd has no interest making oc compatibility with other software that is not crimson wattman panel

2) msi ab author says that simply there is no problem and suggest using official overclocking method (and that is ok, i use that) but for many of us it doesn't work or it makes artifacts ingame
I have to disappoint you but no MSI AB update for ReLive is planned. New official OverdriveNext API is already fully supported by 4.3.0.

Old
  (#96)
Unwinder

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 12-21-2016, 11:57 | posts: 13,125 | Location: Taganrog, Russia

Quote:
Originally Posted by dDub View Post
BF1/The Division with Afterburner 4.3.0 finale stable / RTSS 6.6.0b2 both crash on startup with DX12 enabled. I'm not alone on this am I?
Try the following solution, can be the same issue.

Old
  (#97)
JonasBeckman
Ancient Guru

Default 12-21-2016, 16:22 | posts: 13,186 | Location: Sweden

So that's what those values are and yeah removing them and restarting Afterburner / RTSS did update the value for I think it was these two? -> "ID3D12CommandQueue::ExecuteCommandLists and "IDXGISwapChain3::ResizeBuffers1" for both 32 and 64 bit.

Interesting, guessing that's something that might be useful to keep in mind whenever MS releases the next cumulative Win10 update.
(And probably especially when the next Win10 build is released, March or whatever the estimated date was again for that, probably late Q1 in any case if it's not delayed further for anything unexpected since it looks like they're starting to wrap it up now.)

Old
  (#98)
dr_rus
Maha Guru

Default 12-21-2016, 18:16 | posts: 1,745

Quote:
Originally Posted by dDub View Post
Doesn't crash here. Do you have a Steam version or a Uplay one? I'm running the Uplay one.

Old
  (#99)
GanjaStar
Maha Guru

Videocard: MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
Processor: Intel i5 4670K 4.6 1.22v
Mainboard: GA-Z87-D3HP
Memory: 16gb 2800mhz DDR3
Soundcard: x-fi extreme gamer
PSU: corsair tx 650w
Default 12-22-2016, 00:11 | posts: 1,150 | Location: Zagreb,Croatia

resident evil 7 demo for me produces garbled unreadable OSD. starts off fine, but when player gets control, it looks like a new active OSD overlaps over a frozen version of the same OSD. tried all the various detection levels and OSD rendering modes. 4.3 final with rtss 6.5 injection delay used but steam overlay disabled anyways. user error on my end or others get the same?

Old
  (#100)
dDub

Soundcard:
Default 12-22-2016, 03:04 | posts: 14 | Location: Boston

Quote:
Try the following solution, can be the same issue.
i'll give it a try and report back when i get a chance.