Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > General Chat > The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section
The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section Home Theater PC Enthusiasts or want to talk in High-Definition ? This is Guru3Ds Premier Community of HD and HTPC.

Flatwave HD antenna has the temperament of a 15 year old chimp on crack
Old
  (#1)
DSparil
Ancient Guru

Videocard: ASUS ROG StriX RX480, 8GB
Processor: AMD FX-8320 @4.3 w/YASYA
Mainboard: ASUS M5A97
Memory: 16GB G.Skill Sniper 1866
Soundcard: SB X-Fi Xtreme
PSU: TT Toughpower XT 675
Default Flatwave HD antenna has the temperament of a 15 year old chimp on crack - 10-11-2016, 01:38 | posts: 3,174 | Location: Tampa Bay, FL

lol odd title I know, but its basically truth. I am hoping some of you are familiar with HD antennas and how to get the best out of these quirky things! I just moved into a new home and found what I thought was the best place for my indoor Wineguard Flat Wave antenna. I received around 40 stations with it, maybe 30+ or so view-able. Fast forward five days later, and the exact same spot is yielding crap results. The 30 stations I could view before have significantly dropped in number and the ones that gave me full bars now look like trying to play Doom 4 on a Riva TNT 2.

How could the same spot work great, and then suddenly go south? Any tips on finding the best spot in your home for a flatwave HD antenna? I tried the window (which I thought would be best), and it was among the worst!

Last edited by DSparil; 10-11-2016 at 05:10.

Old
  (#2)
uKER
Member Guru

Videocard: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1
Processor: AMD FX 8350
Mainboard: ASUS M5A97 EVO R2.0
Memory: 8GB G.Skill Ares 2133
Soundcard: Denon 1613+KlipschHDT1000
PSU: 600W Thermaltake TR2
Default 10-11-2016, 02:44 | posts: 53 | Location: Uruguay

Just came here to say that you rule because you mentioned the TNT2 and your name is DSparil (even if it doesn't have the apostrophe).
Both brought tears to my eyes.
<runs to install Hexen>

Old
  (#3)
DSparil
Ancient Guru

Default 10-11-2016, 02:48 | posts: 3,174 | Location: Tampa Bay, FL

^ lol, Its cool to see someone recognizes the user name. I was a huge fan of that series and did another play through of Hexen 2 recently. Also just for the record, I tried to use the apostrophe but the forum code wouldn't accept it

Old
  (#4)
sykozis
Ancient Guru

Videocard: XFX RX 470
Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 1600
Mainboard: MSI B350 Tomahawk
Memory: Corsair DDR4-2666
Soundcard: Sound Blaster Z
PSU: Corsair CX750M
Default 10-11-2016, 13:33 | posts: 19,966 | Location: US East Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSparil View Post
lol odd title I know, but its basically truth. I am hoping some of you are familiar with HD antennas and how to get the best out of these quirky things! I just moved into a new home and found what I thought was the best place for my indoor Wineguard Flat Wave antenna. I received around 40 stations with it, maybe 30+ or so view-able. Fast forward five days later, and the exact same spot is yielding crap results. The 30 stations I could view before have significantly dropped in number and the ones that gave me full bars now look like trying to play Doom 4 on a Riva TNT 2.

How could the same spot work great, and then suddenly go south? Any tips on finding the best spot in your home for a flatwave HD antenna? I tried the window (which I thought would be best), and it was among the worst!
In my experience, these HD antennas are very temperamental to weather conditions. When I tried an HD antenna, how many channels I got and how clear they were depended on whether or not the wind was blowing, whether or not it was cloudy/raining, what the temperature was. It was just ridiculous. They are also dependent on wall thickness/material, siding type/thickness, etc. You're best off with an outdoor, amplified antenna.

Old
  (#5)
DSparil
Ancient Guru

Default 10-11-2016, 23:57 | posts: 3,174 | Location: Tampa Bay, FL

^ Ahh damn, this explains a lot then. The area I am in just experienced the aftermath of tropical storm conditions and, even when it wasn't raining with high winds, it was overcast and sketchy outside. Also, I am not entirely sure what the wall material is in my new home. It's an older house, so its not your traditional dry wall, insulation, etc etc.

Given I've already picked this one up, I am wondering what my best option is for permanent placement. I'm going to do some more research online as well.

Old
  (#6)
TimmyP
Master Guru

Videocard: NV GTX 970 Titan Cooler
Processor: FX-6300 @4.6ghz
Mainboard: MSI 970A-G43
Memory: 8gb GSkill RJ DDR3 1600
Soundcard: Auzentech X-Mystique DDL
PSU: 700-Watt Corsair
Default 10-12-2016, 00:26 | posts: 506 | Location: Reality

https://www.fcc.gov/media/engineering/dtvmaps

Old
  (#7)
DSparil
Ancient Guru

Default 10-14-2016, 06:30 | posts: 3,174 | Location: Tampa Bay, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyP View Post
According to that reception map, I should be getting a very strong signal across the board. That was illustrated by the reception I got at my last home as well. I had a boatload of stations that came in clearly. There is just something about this house or the positioning that is giving me garbage reception. I am still on the lookout for the best placement for what is supposed to be a good quality Wineguard Antenna with good reviews.

Old
  (#8)
nz3777
Maha Guru

Videocard: Gtx 980 Strix @ 1500Mhz
Processor: Fx 8320 E @ 4.2 Ghz
Mainboard: Asus M5A78L-M
Memory: 8gb 1600mhz/Ballistic
Soundcard: SoundBlaster Recon 3d
PSU: Corsair Hx 850
Default 10-15-2016, 16:37 | posts: 1,681 | Location: Willowbrook ill.

i just bought one from micro center hd antenna and have the same exact problem as you.....1st day I had over 50 channels , over the course of a week iam down to like 5 lol. I TRIED moving the damm thing nothing changed, I live in chicago burbs aka windy city and we have some lovely weather here.I might try an outdoor antenna next season.

Old
  (#9)
stevevnicks
Maha Guru

Videocard: Don't need one
Processor: intel pentium 166 mmx
Mainboard: A motherboard
Memory: some memory
Soundcard: some sound
PSU: A PSU
Default 10-19-2016, 16:35 | posts: 1,441 | Location: in a house

There is no such thing as a digital Aerial, it was used to hype the sales.

http://www.atlasaerialsystems.co.uk/...al-aerial.html

there was a program on tv years ago about people being scammed they will need an new digital aerial, if I remember correctly it was on Watch dog.

Last edited by stevevnicks; 10-19-2016 at 16:40.