Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > General > Game Tweaks and Modifications
Game Tweaks and Modifications This forum is dedicated to game modifications and tweaks. Here you can discuss performance and image quality modifications.

Old
  (#26)
txgt
Master Guru

Videocard: Gigabyte GTX 770 OC 4GB
Processor: Intel Core i7-3770K
Mainboard: ASUS MAXIMUS V EXTREME
Memory: Team Xtreem 2600MHz 16GB
Soundcard: GTX 770 HDMI
PSU: Cooler Master SPG 1200W
Default 12-15-2015, 23:29 | posts: 790 | Location: Russia

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Silver View Post
Ah ok good to know, well nevermind then, thanks for the reply.
The thing is the Weather in WD is not random. It occurs according the order written in windy_city.game.xml. This order resets only after you played a Campaign mission that forces to load particular weather preset or played Online.

I can make special windy_city.xml with more "frequent" rain. I will share it sometime this week.

Old
  (#27)
The Silver
Master Guru

Videocard: GTX 770 2GB
Processor: i5-3450 3,1GHz
Mainboard: AsRock H77
Memory: Corsair 8GB
Soundcard:
PSU: XFX Pro 550W Core
Default 12-16-2015, 00:54 | posts: 413

Quote:
Originally Posted by txgt View Post
The thing is the Weather in WD is not random. It occurs according the order written in windy_city.game.xml. This order resets only after you played a Campaign mission that forces to load particular weather preset or played Online.

I can make special windy_city.xml with more "frequent" rain. I will share it sometime this week.
Ah ok thanks! Anyway, I understand the sequential weather thing, so you say that it could result in odd behaviour during Campaign missions because you would make rainy weather more frequent by duplicating a rainy weather entry in the windy_city.game.xml so when the game cycles through them it "plays" more rainy weathers, right?

Old
  (#28)
mlleemiles
Master Guru

Videocard: Intel HD Graphics 4400
Processor: Intel Core i5-4300U
Mainboard: Microsoft Surface Pro 3
Memory: LPDDR3 4G
Soundcard: Onboard
PSU: Onboard
Default 12-16-2015, 05:52 | posts: 251

Quote:
I'd love to but I have crappy internet. There's no point sharing bad quality/low res video for graphics mod presentation right? Plus I never captured gameplay on PC before (except on my PS4). I just don't have time to learn about this. Also it takes time to edit the captured video afterwards.

I'm planning to post comparison screenshots Vanilla vs My Lite mod and some weather showcase screens.

Also I will give you more detailed info about the Weather Cycle which will help you to find desired Weather Preset.
Oh I didn't expect that... Anyway, do you know how to change the sky for different env container?

Old
  (#29)
txgt
Master Guru

Default 12-16-2015, 12:47 | posts: 790 | Location: Russia

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlleemiles View Post
Oh I didn't expect that... Anyway, do you know how to change the sky for different env container?
No, I wish I could.

Old
  (#30)
txgt
Master Guru

Default 12-16-2015, 12:52 | posts: 790 | Location: Russia

Quote:
Ah ok thanks! Anyway, I understand the sequential weather thing, so you say that it could result in odd behaviour during Campaign missions because you would make rainy weather more frequent by duplicating a rainy weather entry in the windy_city.game.xml so when the game cycles through them it "plays" more rainy weathers, right?
Yes, but as I said I could be wrong. I suspect the Campaign missions may load only standard Weather/Environment containers directly, and not from the Weather Cycle written in "Automatic Weather" section. In that case it's safe to add more "Rainy days".

Last edited by txgt; 12-16-2015 at 12:55.

Old
  (#31)
mlleemiles
Master Guru

Videocard: Intel HD Graphics 4400
Processor: Intel Core i5-4300U
Mainboard: Microsoft Surface Pro 3
Memory: LPDDR3 4G
Soundcard: Onboard
PSU: Onboard
Default 12-16-2015, 13:24 | posts: 251

Quote:
Yes, but as I said I could be wrong. I suspect the Campaign missions may load only standard Weather/Environment containers directly, and not from the Weather Cycle written in "Automatic Weather" section. In that case it's safe to add more "Rainy days".
Yeah, that's how the game works. You can find some lines like "switch environment container" in a mission cseq file. And after the mission is finished, the game loads the previous env container back.

Old
  (#32)
Seaclean
Master Guru

Videocard: MSI GTX 980 4GB Gaming
Processor: Intel i2500K @4.2Ghz
Mainboard: Asrock p67 Pro3
Memory: 12GB DDR3 @1600mhz
Soundcard: Onboard/Siberia V2
PSU: Corsair TX750
Default 12-16-2015, 14:29 | posts: 272 | Location: Denmark

Quote:
You can add default vanilla DOF (for cutscenes only) or Minimum (Light) DOF from my Variety Pack, just read the instructions inside archive.
Download: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bx-...ew?usp=sharing
Mirror: http://www.nexusmods.com/watchdogs/mods/30/?
Thank you for the reply! Out of curiosity, which DoF setting are you using in the E3 Lite ver. 2.0 package?

Old
  (#33)
The Silver
Master Guru

Soundcard:
Default 12-16-2015, 18:22 | posts: 413

Quote:
- More intensive rain illumination near headlights.
Is this new feature compatible with your Vehicle Lighting v2 pack? I'd like to have the Red & Blue police lights without the anamorphic flares, and from what I see the only way is to use your old pack, however I'm afraid to lose some features of your E3 Lite v2 mod in the process.

Old
  (#34)
txgt
Master Guru

Default 12-16-2015, 23:32 | posts: 790 | Location: Russia

Quote:
Is this new feature compatible with your Vehicle Lighting v2 pack? I'd like to have the Red & Blue police lights without the anamorphic flares, and from what I see the only way is to use your old pack, however I'm afraid to lose some features of your E3 Lite v2 mod in the process.
I'm planning to release Vehicle Lighting v3. But I can upload Simple Lensflares with Red and Blue Police for E3 Lite v2 in couple of days.

Old
  (#35)
txgt
Master Guru

Default 12-16-2015, 23:34 | posts: 790 | Location: Russia

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlleemiles View Post
Yeah, that's how the game works. You can find some lines like "switch environment container" in a mission cseq file. And after the mission is finished, the game loads the previous env container back.
Thanks man, now I know for sure. Will upload Frequent Rain patch in couple of days.

Old
  (#36)
txgt
Master Guru

Default 12-16-2015, 23:35 | posts: 790 | Location: Russia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaclean View Post
Thank you for the reply! Out of curiosity, which DoF setting are you using in the E3 Lite ver. 2.0 package?
Standard Edition - Minimum (Light) DOF
E3 2012 Bundle - Maximum (Bokeh) DOF

Old
  (#37)
The Silver
Master Guru

Soundcard:
Default 12-16-2015, 23:36 | posts: 413

Wow sounds like the next couple of days will be hot!

Old
  (#38)
txgt
Master Guru

Default 12-17-2015, 14:21 | posts: 790 | Location: Russia

I have added partial Vehicle Lighting v3 to the main post: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=404520

Old
  (#39)
The Silver
Master Guru

Soundcard:
Default 12-17-2015, 15:23 | posts: 413

Quote:
I have added partial Vehicle Lighting v3 to the main post: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=404520
Lightspeed! Thank you very much.

Old
  (#40)
KuroTenshi
Master Guru

Videocard: GTX 970 4gb @ 1177/1402
Processor: Intel Core i5 @ 4100mhz
Mainboard: ASUS P8Z77-V
Memory: G-Skill F3-2400C10 16gb
Soundcard: Onkyo TX-SR508 (HDMI 1.4)
PSU: Corsair 650W
Default 12-18-2015, 01:05 | posts: 488 | Location: France

Thank's a lot ! It's really really nice !

I already reworked textures, but without relief mapping. How did you add Relief Mapping to them ?

Or if I can give you my improved textures, can you add Relief Mapping to them ?

Last edited by KuroTenshi; 12-18-2015 at 01:51.

Old
  (#41)
txgt
Master Guru

Default 12-18-2015, 03:01 | posts: 790 | Location: Russia

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuroTenshi View Post
Thank's a lot ! It's really really nice !

I already reworked textures, but without relief mapping. How did you add Relief Mapping to them ?

Or if I can give you my improved textures, can you add Relief Mapping to them ?
Ask TheSilver in his RM thread: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=404493

Old
  (#42)
txgt
Master Guru

Default 12-19-2015, 16:00 | posts: 790 | Location: Russia

More Frequent Rain has arrived! DL: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=404520

Old
  (#43)
The Silver
Master Guru

Soundcard:
Default 12-19-2015, 17:18 | posts: 413

Quote:
More Frequent Rain has arrived! DL: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=404520
Awesome! Thanks again for all your work!

Old
  (#44)
The Silver
Master Guru

Soundcard:
Default 12-21-2015, 20:11 | posts: 413

Your latest additions seems to be working flawlessy!

Anyway, I've seen a little problem with lighting but I don't know if it's fixable, it seems that in some specific places the game dynamically loads what it looks like a different lighting preset (like in parking lots and bar and other interiors etc), the problem is that it's often too much dark. Since it changes on the fly you can see that it visibly and unrealistically darkens even if the outside is already dark, so the interior becomes even darker, while if there must be a brightness change than it should be brightening the interior, instead of darkening it even more. Here are a couple of examples, IMHO in both places it's visibly too dark, instead of darkening the interior the game should have brightened it:

And here's a precise comparison of what looks like "exterior" and "interior" presets, as you can see if something should change then it should become brighter, instead in the second screenshot it's even darker, because I've backstepped a little and I'm now "inside" for the game (this leads to unplayable dark interiors like the coffe shop of the third screenshot above):

Last edited by The Silver; 12-21-2015 at 21:01.

Old
  (#45)
txgt
Master Guru

Default 12-21-2015, 22:42 | posts: 790 | Location: Russia

Quote:
Your latest additions seems to be working flawlessy!

Anyway, I've seen a little problem with lighting but I don't know if it's fixable, it seems that in some specific places the game dynamically loads what it looks like a different lighting preset (like in parking lots and bar and other interiors etc), the problem is that it's often too much dark. Since it changes on the fly you can see that it visibly and unrealistically darkens even if the outside is already dark, so the interior becomes even darker, while if there must be a brightness change than it should be brightening the interior, instead of darkening it even more. Here are a couple of examples, IMHO in both places it's visibly too dark, instead of darkening the interior the game should have brightened it:

And here's a precise comparison of what looks like "exterior" and "interior" presets, as you can see if something should change then it should become brighter, instead in the second screenshot it's even darker, because I've backstepped a little and I'm now "inside" for the game (this leads to unplayable dark interiors like the coffe shop of the third screenshot above):

You see Ubi devs used simple/cheap lighting methods. WD uses the same lighting settings for the Parking Lots, The Loop/Mad Mile Underground Tunnels and Bars. And it's the same no matter the weather. It only changes during different time of day, but still using the same xml. It's so dark during Overcast/Rain because the "fCloudy" setting in windy_city.xml makes the game very dark. So it requres "positive" exposure value in order for us to see the bright enough picture of the game. So keeping this in mind: if I make it brighter for Rainy weather it will be bad news for Sunny weather. Everything will be totally white outside, like the nuke just went off. Because the Sunny weather requires "negative" exposure in order to look not too bright. That's just how it works.
So the coffee shop you showed is using the same lighting xml as underground tunnels use.

Here's Vanilla screen of the same coffe shop during daytime rain, it's pretty dark too (in-game brightness at 50%):

I'm gonna release E3 Lite v2.1 with default interior xmls next year.
Or you can just unpack/convert "environmentlighting.libs" from vanilla and my mod and replace all xmls named starting with "E3_2013.Clear_Lighting..." and ending with something "interior"-like name (Motel, Bar, CTOS Server etc.). Don't copy the duplicates ending with "CG", I didn't touched them cause it's unlikely they're used by the game.

Last edited by txgt; 12-21-2015 at 22:49.

Old
  (#46)
The Silver
Master Guru

Soundcard:
Default 12-21-2015, 23:21 | posts: 413

Quote:
You see Ubi devs used simple/cheap lighting methods. WD uses the same lighting settings for the Parking Lots, The Loop/Mad Mile Underground Tunnels and Bars. And it's the same no matter the weather. It only changes during different time of day, but still using the same xml. It's so dark during Overcast/Rain because the "fCloudy" setting in windy_city.xml makes the game very dark. So it requres "positive" exposure value in order for us to see the bright enough picture of the game. So keeping this in mind: if I make it brighter for Rainy weather it will be bad news for Sunny weather. Everything will be totally white outside, like the nuke just went off. Because the Sunny weather requires "negative" exposure in order to look not too bright. That's just how it works.
So the coffee shop you showed is using the same lighting xml as underground tunnels use.

Here's Vanilla screen of the same coffe shop during daytime rain, it's pretty dark too (in-game brightness at 50%): http://i.imgur.com/q1D68W9.jpg

I'm gonna release E3 Lite v2.1 with default interior xmls next year.
Or you can just unpack/convert "environmentlighting.libs" from vanilla and my mod and replace all xmls named starting with "E3_2013.Clear_Lighting..." and ending with something "interior"-like name (Motel, Bar, CTOS Server etc.). Don't copy the duplicates ending with "CG", I didn't touched them cause it's unlikely they're used by the game.
Ah yes I see, very cheap from Ubi. Why not just making the corresponding interior tweaks for every weather instead of a global "modifier" like I understand it's now!? Instead we're left with something unfixable. The two screenshot of the coffe shop are almost identical! Meh... I'm more and more disappointed the more I learn things about the final build of WD.

Thank you very much for another wonderfully exhaustive explanation though, I really appreciate that.

PS: Why you're gonna release the v2.1 with default interiors? Did you made some tweaks to them?

Last edited by The Silver; 12-21-2015 at 23:24.

Old
  (#47)
txgt
Master Guru

Default 12-22-2015, 00:47 | posts: 790 | Location: Russia

Quote:

PS: Why you're gonna release the v2.1 with default interiors? Did you made some tweaks to them?
Yes, I slightly darkened the interiors. So If you restore vanilla interiors you should get brighter coffee shop lighting.

Old
  (#48)
The Silver
Master Guru

Soundcard:
Default 12-22-2015, 07:44 | posts: 413

Quote:
Yes, I slightly darkened the interiors. So If you restore vanilla interiors you should get brighter coffee shop lighting.
Ah ok I'll try thanks, however I agree that overall darkening the interiors a bit is an improvement, I'd just like that there was a better solution, shame on you Ubi.

Old
  (#49)
txgt
Master Guru

Default 12-22-2015, 13:07 | posts: 790 | Location: Russia

Quote:
Ah ok I'll try thanks, however I agree that overall darkening the interiors a bit is an improvement
Yeah, that's why I restore the interior brightness only for daytime and leave the night time slightly darker.

Old
  (#50)
The Silver
Master Guru

Soundcard:
Default 12-22-2015, 13:10 | posts: 413

Quote:
Yeah, that's why I restore the interior brightness only for daytime and leave the night time slightly darker.
Like a boss!