Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > Videocards > Videocards - AMD Radeon Catalyst Drivers Section
Videocards - AMD Radeon Catalyst Drivers Section In this section you can discuss everything AMD Catalyst related. Catalyst drivers are for all AMD based graphics cards and APUs.

Old
  (#26)
A2Razor
Master Guru

Videocard: ASUS R9 Fury X
Processor: Xeon E5 1650 v3
Mainboard: ASROCK X99 WS
Memory: DDR4 2133 ECC / 64GB
Soundcard: SB ZxR, Logitech Z623
PSU: EVGA SuperNova 1000 P2
Default 12-11-2015, 02:10 | posts: 322

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxela View Post
great tool it seems but in my case when I did the test it only works for couple of seconds and then it drops to 300 again. here a screenshot

Anyway, keep up the good work!
Having a hard time seeing the clock graphs from that thumbnail shot. If the card went to full clocks and pegged for a few seconds, then likely my CL workload is actually being generated and had some-type of impact (briefly). That's at least a good sign.

It looks like there's only the two default rules in there, I'm assuming the tray icon was RED for this entire time -- including the time after the clock bump where the card downclocked. So, based on that I'd say the drivers didn't respond to this workload the same for your systems as they do for mine.

Which OS is this? And which driver version?

--I'm currently working on an alternate trick (to the OpenCL one) that achieves a very similar effect. Hopefully it'll work on systems where the current trick does not.

Old
  (#27)
A2Razor
Master Guru

Default 12-11-2015, 02:14 | posts: 322

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG_FREAK View Post
Windows 10 X64
r9 290x
Driver Crimson 15.11.1 (9.14.10.01162)

I have tested with firefox setup for the firefox.exe
I also tried it with NBA2K16.exe and also just with the gaming running full screen.

I tried setting the short cut to run under windows 8 compatibly mode with no luck.

I am using MSI afterburner 4.20 to monitor my GPU usage on my second monitor.

Thanks keep up the great work. let me know if there something else I could try.
Of curiosity, is this a TH1 or TH2 install of Windows 10?

--If it doesn't work for you on the desktop, with the DEFAULT profile edited. (looks like you tried setting the default to block already) Then there's not much you can do with the current version.

I see no errors in the log at least, so the CL setup was successful. I'll have to think on this a bit, but you'll probably have to wait for the next release and alternate trick that I'm working on.

EDIT: Of curiosity, how many 'device candidates' does the log show? (given this is off the screen)

Old
  (#28)
A2Razor
Master Guru

Default 12-11-2015, 02:20 | posts: 322

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammarbella View Post
Agree.

Ppl with less than optimal cooling solutions or in locations who have high ambient temp should at least use an AB fan temp customized to their local specific conditions if they want to block (lock) his GPU timings with this tool or AB profiles.

Relying only on thermal throttling to lower temp in all cases is not good at all for the GPU.

@A2Razor

Thanks to spend your time in this tool and share it with all of us.

As PR said the need of tools like this one or RadeonMod expose how little effort AMD put in giving us basic control over our GPUs and instead spend a lot of time delivering fancy graphics drivers GUI, social connectors and a worst gameplay/multimedia playback in the pursuit of lower watt usage.

I guess AMD consider his "green" crazyness a top priority for his GPUs.

I think the customers who buy these GPUs normally use them to play games and want performance to be top priority over watts spend...or at least have the option to have this performance and stability back deactivating the "green fetures" right from the fancy drivers GUI.
Indeed, but on this note it's a good practice for anyone to monitor their temps, especially due to the current driver "issues" that AMD has had with fan controls (on the stock ramp). I'd advise everyone [using this tool or not] to keep an eye on their temperatures. Thermal throttling happens at very high temps, and it's certainly not good to let the card run at those temps to begin with.

Every graphics card owner owes it to theirself and their hardware to get a tool that can monitor temps. If you do, you have a chance to notice premature failure or problems before the card actually breaks. It's far easier (and cheaper) to replace a fan for example than to replace a 500$+ graphics card.

But yeah, this tool won't allow you to exceed power limits or anything like that to reitterate.

Far as power-management. I actually do think it's important to have working power-management, yet AMD is getting it wrong in that they're being far too restrictive: I don't think anyone necessarily wants to run their cards at maximum clocks when idle on the desktop, surfing the web, or while doing work, but the thing is that AMD needs to understand that there's many uses for a PC. People have different priorities at different times and under different usage scenarios (like gaming competitively), user-choice really needs to be allowed.

Another way to look at it is from the competitive standpoint, AMD is giving its users far less options than their competition (and this really needs to change). NVidia has had driver provided power-profile support for years.

AMD's overall intentions may be good, but power users and gamers all love choice. It's a great selling point for products that I hope they don't overlook.

Last edited by A2Razor; 12-11-2015 at 03:15.

Old
  (#29)
A2Razor
Master Guru

Default 12-11-2015, 02:23 | posts: 322

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomatone View Post
Hi,
just to report that this tool works with my R9 270 (non-x) on Win7. I want to ask did this tool can use 3D clock/profile from AB?
http://imgur.com/DsREuek
Yes, you can use custom clock profiles in Afterburner. That shouldn't cause any problems at all to use the two tools together.

If it does break something, please let me know. At least in principle I don't think it will.

Old
  (#30)
RexOmnipotentus
Master Guru

Videocard: 2x R9 290
Processor: Core i7 4770K (4.1 GHZ)
Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 3
Memory: RipjawsX 16GB 2133mhz CL9
Soundcard:
PSU: Corsair RM 1000
Default 12-11-2015, 02:33 | posts: 779 | Location: Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox2232 View Post
I did not test your tool, yet. But I would like to point out one thing:
What about thermal throttling/TDP throttling? People testing on other than well cooled GPUs should take some precautions.
I'm locking the core clock with afterburner and somehow my top card hit 94 degrees without me knowing it. After a while i checked afterburner and the core clocks still throttled to maintain a steady 94. So locking the core clock won't have any effect on the thermal throttling. At least not for my card.

Old
  (#31)
CCoR-
Member Guru

Videocard: ASUS STRIX GTX 970 4GB
Processor: i5 4670k @ 4.4
Mainboard: ASUS Sabertooth z87
Memory: Corsair 2x8GB DDR3 @ 2400
Soundcard: Creative SB Z/ Sen. HD598
PSU: Corsair 750i
Default 12-11-2015, 03:57 | posts: 49 | Location: Orlando Florida

Great idea, but unfortunately it's not working on my system.
Windows 10

Old
  (#32)
xxela
Master Guru

Videocard: ASUS Radeon R9 FURY STRIX
Processor: AMD AMD Ryzen 7 1700X@3.9
Mainboard: ASUS CROSSHAIR VI
Memory: HyperX Fury Black 16GB
Soundcard:
PSU: Seasonic X-850
Default 12-11-2015, 04:24 | posts: 199

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2Razor View Post
Having a hard time seeing the clock graphs from that thumbnail shot. If the card went to full clocks and pegged for a few seconds, then likely my CL workload is actually being generated and had some-type of impact (briefly). That's at least a good sign.

It looks like there's only the two default rules in there, I'm assuming the tray icon was RED for this entire time -- including the time after the clock bump where the card downclocked. So, based on that I'd say the drivers didn't respond to this workload the same for your systems as they do for mine.

Which OS is this? And which driver version?

--I'm currently working on an alternate trick (to the OpenCL one) that achieves a very similar effect. Hopefully it'll work on systems where the current trick does not.
Sorry for being so briefly.
Yes the tray icon stay red after the clock downclocked
Im on Windows 10 Pro x64 TH2
The driver is Crimson 15.11.1 Update 11/30/2015

Old
  (#33)
nav-jack
Master Guru

Videocard: 980 ti 1520/2000
Processor: 5820k @ 4.6ghz
Mainboard: MSI x99a SLI PLUS
Memory: 4x 8gib DDR4-2800
Soundcard:
PSU: evga 850w
Default 12-11-2015, 07:11 | posts: 254 | Location: Corning, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexOmnipotentus View Post
I'm locking the core clock with afterburner and somehow my top card hit 94 degrees without me knowing it. After a while i checked afterburner and the core clocks still throttled to maintain a steady 94. So locking the core clock won't have any effect on the thermal throttling. At least not for my card.
you make sure u are using a modified fan profile?

also this is kinda neat, i did some tests with power saving stuff and counter strike

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7OKN_gn_bQ

Old
  (#34)
WeSbO
Master Guru

Videocard: Fury X stock
Processor: 4790K@4.7 EKWB L360 2.0
Mainboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 mark2
Memory: HyperX 1888mhz 16GB CAS10
Soundcard: Logitech Z-5450
PSU: Corsair RM1000i
Default 12-11-2015, 07:20 | posts: 166

Not working for me

Windows 10 pro x64 th1.

When you say "red icon" what do you mean by that ? The Icon I get is like a black round thing with a red cross over it.

Old
  (#35)
A2Razor
Master Guru

Default 12-11-2015, 07:35 | posts: 322

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSbO View Post
Not working for me

Windows 10 pro x64 th1.

When you say "red icon" what do you mean by that ? The Icon I get is like a black round thing with a red cross over it.
The black part of the tray-icons is a silhouette of a rooster. When blocking, the background color around the silhouette changes to red, with a cross (X) in a light blue through the center. This is intended to symbolize blocking.

I'll add images of the tray-icons in to the guide later on if this wasn't too clear, or maybe add a tooltip description of the status in addition to the image.

Also not given up on you guys that this isn't working for. I'm taking a deep look at what I'm doing, and also the way the AMD's drivers respond to CL and DirectCompute workloads (to see if it's something simple that I can fix).

-This may take me some time though, especially on the alternate method.

Old
  (#36)
A2Razor
Master Guru

Default 12-11-2015, 07:37 | posts: 322

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxela View Post
Sorry for being so briefly.
Yes the tray icon stay red after the clock downclocked
Im on Windows 10 Pro x64 TH2
The driver is Crimson 15.11.1 Update 11/30/2015
Hey, thanks for the bigger image. That's great and I can see everything now.

-Are those spikes in your clockspeed when you toggle the tool off and then back on (by repeated editing of the DEFAULT rule)? Or, for instance did you re-open the program on each of them?

Last edited by A2Razor; 12-11-2015 at 07:44.

Old
  (#37)
Fox2232
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Fury X - XL2420T(Z)@144Hz
Processor: i5-2500k@4.5GHz NH-D14
Mainboard: MSI Z68A-GD80[g3]
Memory: 4x4GB 1600MHz 9,9,8,20 1T
Soundcard: Essence ST / AKG K-701
PSU: FSP Gold series 750W
Default 12-11-2015, 08:03 | posts: 5,350 | Location: EU, CZ, Brno

Quote:
That is indeed good to read.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREGIX View Post
To be honest I didn't tested your tool, but thanks for the post.
I didn't realized that there are problems with corruptions/artefacts with those cards.
And it worries me, as I planned to buy fury card...ATM Im using only iGPU with Benqa xl2720x so upgrade is must, I want to see that 144Hz...
That case I might turn to 980, but I rather wouldn't do that.

Sry 4 english
We have here only one user who experienced this kind of problem (on nano). But in general many users had/have issue where image on screen jumps up a bit, shows corruption and stays that way till you change resolution or re-plug cable to monitor/graphics card. (frequency of this issue was very rare, maybe once a month in average)
It did happen to me few times, but it is fine for very long time. Either driver fixed it or it was caused by bad connector connection and therefore fixed by one of re-plugs.

Old
  (#38)
WeSbO
Master Guru

Videocard: Fury X stock
Processor: 4790K@4.7 EKWB L360 2.0
Mainboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 mark2
Memory: HyperX 1888mhz 16GB CAS10
Soundcard: Logitech Z-5450
PSU: Corsair RM1000i
Default 12-11-2015, 09:45 | posts: 166

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox2232 View Post
That is indeed good to read.

(frequency of this issue was very rare, maybe once a month in average)
Depends on the people, some have it rarely, in a weekend (while the pc is on 24h a day) i'll get it a least twice.
Nothing to do with cable. I think it's more to do with the minimum voltage, I suspect it's going below 0.900 Mv and that interferes with the HBM, with all dies not being equal, i'm thinking it's happening more often to others due to that.

But i'm in the phase of testing my theory with GPU-Z, to see what the gpu does exactly when the corruption occurs.

Old
  (#39)
A2Razor
Master Guru

Default 12-11-2015, 10:40 | posts: 322

1.0-5 released. Same download link as before.

--Changelog on web-documentation and also in the main forum post here.

This is an interim release while still experimenting with a DirectCompute approach. If anyone is feeling adventurous there are some improvements in here that might help on machines that didn't work prior (hard to say).

Old
  (#40)
AHPD
Member Guru

Videocard: R9 Fury Tri-X @4096SP
Processor: Core i7 6700K @4.4Ghz
Mainboard: Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 5
Memory: Trident Z 32GB 3200Mhz
Soundcard: Asus Xonar DGX
PSU: Thermaltake TPG-850M
Default 12-11-2015, 12:20 | posts: 76

I have tested the new release (1.0-5). I have a Fury Tri-X.

OS is Windows 10 Pro x64, build 10586.29.
Driver is the "Crimson" hotfix.

1) This release solved the issue people in this thread were reporting (would run at max clocks for few moments then downclock back) with few oddities:
1.a) It doesn't really honor overclocked settings. It would fluctuate between stock clocks and overclocked settings but never going below stock clocks.
1.b) Stock clock works just fine. Solid 1000Mhz at all situations.
1.c) I honestly think there's nothing to fix before people says fluctuating clocks is an issue. Not downclocking below stock clocks is more than enough for me.

2) Situations where driver would downlock for no reason (GTA V Online, when you enter/leave elevator in an high-end apartment) and FPS drops dramatically. This tool completely solves the issue.

3) Fury X owners, would this tool keep a solid 1050Mhz core clock? GTA V Online if someone plays it, it's the king of downclocking because of the zillion of the CPU-Bound situations we have, ranging from traffic jams to hacked lobbies where you would find dozens of jumbo aircrafts laid down the streets.

Last edited by AHPD; 12-11-2015 at 12:27.

Old
  (#41)
RexOmnipotentus
Master Guru

Soundcard:
Default 12-11-2015, 12:27 | posts: 779 | Location: Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by nav-jack View Post
you make sure u are using a modified fan profile?

also this is kinda neat, i did some tests with power saving stuff and counter strike

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7OKN_gn_bQ
That was one of the problems. My costum fan profile wasn't turned on. The other problem is that the GPU did get abnormally hot at one spot in Fallout 4. It was almost like i was running furmark. One of the patches seem to have fixed this problem.

Old
  (#42)
RexOmnipotentus
Master Guru

Soundcard:
Default 12-11-2015, 13:00 | posts: 779 | Location: Netherlands

The new version seem to work much much better. It's still downclocking a little bit (10 - 15mhz) with FreeSync enabled, but it's much better than a 500+mhz downclock per card.

Old
  (#43)
FunkyMike
Master Guru

Videocard: ATI 6850m /Intel HD3000
Processor: 2630QM
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: Laptop
Default 12-11-2015, 13:12 | posts: 534

I do not have an affected card but well done on the tool and on the name!! Love it!

Old
  (#44)
Groovy-Music
Member Guru

Videocard: MSI GTX 1070 AERO OC
Processor: i7 6700k @ 4.9 Ghz
Mainboard: Gigabyte Z170X-G1-Gaming7
Memory: 32Gb DDR4 2400 Mhz
Soundcard: Creative SoundCore™ 3D
PSU: Antec 1000W
Default 12-11-2015, 13:27 | posts: 111 | Location: Montréal, Canada

It's working (HD7970)!! Me and my wife are very thankful for your ClockBlock method, and the "how to" use it.

I think you might as well have saved our marriage!

Looking forward a lot of ClockBlocking next week end !

Old
  (#45)
xxela
Master Guru

Videocard: ASUS Radeon R9 FURY STRIX
Processor: AMD AMD Ryzen 7 1700X@3.9
Mainboard: ASUS CROSSHAIR VI
Memory: HyperX Fury Black 16GB
Soundcard:
PSU: Seasonic X-850
Default 12-11-2015, 13:32 | posts: 199

Tried new release 1.0-5 and now it works. When activated the clock stay at 1000 all the time on desktop.
Two things though:
1 It wont match the overclock frequency (in games bounce between 1000 and 1100) but this is not such a big deal.
2 When I apply an overclock profile in afterburner with 100 mv offset, on desktop the voltage raise above what I have in games with this profile. for example with 100 mv offset in load I have aprox 1.300 but on desktop with ClockBlocker active it gave me 1.337 witch is kinda high.

Old
  (#46)
A2Razor
Master Guru

Default 12-11-2015, 13:52 | posts: 322

Awesome that it's working for all of you now.

I was expecting to need alot more test builds, logging, and potentially even to install Windows 10 again -- but it looks like I got it with a shot in the dark (off of assumptions and some guesswork).

xxela: Far as the voltage you're seeing, one thing to keep in mind is the likes of vdroop and compensation for it. The card is clocked up at idle, but it's also very inactive vs whenever you're playing a demanding game. I've never done testing to what degree applied voltage dips on these types of chips though (how much of a draw there is), so this is just speculation of course.

-I will see if there's something I can do about that remaining clock jitter and also test voltage a bit later on (push my card a bit higher and see if I can observe it). No promises on the clock jitter you guys are seeing of course, but I think that'll wait till another day.

On that note: Sadly I have a very low clocking Fury-X as well.

-It can't hit past 1082mhz really in Crysis 3, regardless the voltage. But, in this case it doesn't matter if I can run a game like Crysis 3 stable.. Just need it to run long enough at a clock speed in some low load game that I can test changes (eg, reproduce it and see some dips).

--Like the earlier testing in Zestiria (on old builds), my card locks at 1079mhz with no drops recorded.

Last edited by A2Razor; 12-11-2015 at 14:03.

Old
  (#47)
RexOmnipotentus
Master Guru

Soundcard:
Default 12-11-2015, 14:02 | posts: 779 | Location: Netherlands

I forgot the mention. It is only fluctuating by 10 - 15 mhz if i overclock my card. If i running both of my cards at stock speed, Clockblock works perfectely.

This is a perfect replacement for locking clocks with afterburner. The screen doesn't flicker anymore, because i don't need to switch between a 2D and 3D profile anymore.

EDIT: 'start with windows' doesn't seem to work for me.

Last edited by RexOmnipotentus; 12-11-2015 at 14:14.

Old
  (#48)
A2Razor
Master Guru

Default 12-11-2015, 14:28 | posts: 322

Quote:
EDIT: 'start with windows' doesn't seem to work for me.
Do you potentially use a Windows account that doesn't have a password? I know that the project that I ripped this code from has problems with password-less user accounts sometimes.

If you don't have a password on your account, setting one would probably fix it. But if it's the case that you do have a password and it still doesn't work, then you can create a Task Scheduler entry for "C:\Program Files (x86)\ClockBlocker\Loader_x64.exe" as a workaround for now.

Basically you'd just need to do this:

-Task Scheduler
-File > Create Task

General Tab:
-Name it whatever you want.
-Check "Run with highest privileges"

Triggers Tab:
-New (button)
-Begin the task: At log on (any user)

Actions Tab:
-New
Program: "C:\Program Files (x86)\ClockBlocker\Loader_x64.exe"