Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > General > Game Tweaks and Modifications
Game Tweaks and Modifications This forum is dedicated to game modifications and tweaks. Here you can discuss performance and image quality modifications.

Old
  (#1451)
The Silver
Master Guru

Videocard: GTX 770 2GB
Processor: i5-3450 3,1GHz
Mainboard: AsRock H77
Memory: Corsair 8GB
Soundcard:
PSU: XFX Pro 550W Core
Default 02-01-2017, 19:17 | posts: 582

Quote:
Originally Posted by KookMaster5000 View Post
Weird. I wonder why they'd make entirely new animations when they could just fix up the ones they already had partially done?

Anyways, I'm free tonight so I plan to work more on my mod. Does anybody know anything about gameplay scripting? I'm considering making a version that messed with the reputation system and maybe even profiling if I can.

I think the whole crime solving system is a little broken since there are never false positives. As much as I can't do that because I can't animate for Watch Dogs, it'd be cool to fix up the reputation system.

In my opinion, its way too easy to stay on the good side of the system, so I think heightening the effect that killed or hurt people has would help balance out the system. I mean all of the news broadcasts you get when you're bad talk about you being reckless rather than just bad, so I think mistakes like killing civilians should be a lot harder to make up for.

In addition I'd like to make news broadcasts about you happen more often and even when you're good, I mean the police are looking for pearce even when he's good, and that could lead to more cool gameplay moments. (People also take way too long to recognize Aiden and begin calling the police during these segments).

Also it'd be cool to make certain objects take out enemies rather than just their cars (like how gangs get out of their cars unharmed when you raise road blockers).

If not, that's cool too. I'm mostly shooting for it to be an E3 graphics mod. I've just been thinking about possible improvements to gameplay lately. I mean part of making the game like the demos is to make it more fun, right?
I have already done exactly that, I made those edits for myself but I can post the file if you are interested.
I've made the crimes take away more reputation overall, the small crimes just a little more, while the bad ones like injuring or even worse killing innocent civilians and cops a lot more. Even killing a criminal rewards you less that incapacitating him non-lethally, however wounding cops isn't more punishing, both because it's the commonly accepted "hollywood" way of disposing good guys while still being the good guy, and because it's the only non-lethal way that the game allows you to dispose of cops at a distance, so I think we deserve some breating room.
However the coolest thing of my minimod is that I was able to restore some crimes that apparently are implemented but ultimately removed from the final game, especially Carjaking which now punishes you for assaulting the driving citizen and stealing his vehicle, with proper language specific reputation warning about your carjaking.
I've never talked about that because I had the impression that people were already annoyed by WD not being GTA enough, so I thought that punishing them even more for playing the game like a mindless GTA wouldn't have been welcomed... hile I freaking love to roleplay the game as if I'm like Jason Bourne on a vigilante spree, walking on the streets blending with the crowd, carefully investigating the crime area and planning my action so that there are the least chances of innocents killed in case of a gunfight, evading cops and hurting them only when absolutely necessary because we are on the same side even if I'm undercover and they don't know that. Things like this. XD

Last edited by The Silver; 02-01-2017 at 19:22.

Old
  (#1452)
KookMaster5000
Member Guru

Videocard: EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SC
Processor: Intel i5 6600 @ 3.5 Ghz
Mainboard: Gigabyte B150 HD3P
Memory: DDR4 16 GB
Soundcard: EVGA GTX 1060 SC Onboard
PSU: Corsair CX500M
Default 02-01-2017, 19:29 | posts: 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Silver View Post
I have already done exactly that, I made those edits for myself but I can post the file if you are interested.
I've made the crimes take away more reputation overall, the small crimes just a little more, while the bad ones like injuring or even worse killing innocent civilians and cops a lot more. Even killing a criminal rewards you less that incapacitating him non-lethally, however wounding cops isn't more punishing, both because it's the commonly accepted "hollywood" way of disposing good guys while still being the good guy, and because it's the only non-lethal way that the game allows you to dispose of cops at a distance, so I think we deserve some breating room.
However the coolest thing of my minimod is that I was able to restore some crimes that apparently are implemented but ultimately removed from the final game, especially Carjaking which now punishes you for assaulting the driving citizen and stealing his vehicle, with proper language specific reputation warning about your carjaking.
I've never talked about that because I had the impression that people were already annoyed by WD not being GTA enough, so I thought that punishing them even more for playing the game like a mindless GTA wouldn't have been welcomed... hile I freaking love to roleplay the game as if I'm like Jason Bourne on a vigilante spree, walking on the streets blending with the crowd, carefully investigating the crime area and planning my action so that there are the least chances of innocents killed in case of a gunfight, evading cops and hurting them only when absolutely necessary because we are on the same side even if I'm undercover and they don't know that. Things like this. XD
No way man, that's awesome! I've been wanting to fix the gameplay for the longest time, but I never knew anything about modding so I figured it was far fetched. If you could share that with me that'd be great! Are the tweaks you mentioned the only ones, or did you make others?

Regardless, that sounds awesome.

Old
  (#1453)
KAOS GAMING
Master Guru

Videocard: GTX 960 4gb
Processor: intel core i5 4460
Mainboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PT
Memory: 8gb DDR3
Soundcard:
PSU: Corsair 550w
Default 02-01-2017, 22:40 | posts: 333

Quote:
Yeah, I'm thinking I'll keep E3 clear lighting with lights on in the sunset, and maybe morning if I can do that. For stormy weather, I'm gonna see how overcast looks with rain, or maybe I'll modify defintive mod's stormy weather, as that actually looks really good when it's not too dark to see.
which code do you edit exactly to enable a file like e3 clear lighting in environmentlighting.lib file?

Old
  (#1454)
KookMaster5000
Member Guru

Default 02-02-2017, 02:16 | posts: 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAOS GAMING View Post
which code do you edit exactly to enable a file like e3 clear lighting in environmentlighting.lib file?
What I did was go into E3 clear lighting.Clear_Lighting.xml and copy all of the code after the variables are initialized (So start copying where it says this);
<object name="gradSunLightColor">
<object name="Knots">

and copied that all the way through the end of the code, and pasted that in place of the code after the variables are stated in E3_2013.Clear_Lighting. Next, I went down to AutoExposure and changed selLuminanceComputationMethod from Histogram threshold to GPU average. This will eliminate the strange black dots they were/are seeing with Crasher's mashup mod.

This will give you the lighting preset used in E3 2012's demo during clear weather. It has a few issues, mostly concerning static reflections which are rather intense.

If you want storm lighting too, do the same with E3 stromy lighting and E3 2013 stormy lighting. (which is way too dark during the day, I'd recommend tweaking that if you want daytime stormy weather to be playable).

Also, I'm not sure it makes a difference, but CurveSpeed in the stormy weather in the first Knot is set to 100 rather than the usual 0. Not sure if that messes it up, but I'd change it back to 0 just to avoid issues.

Old
  (#1455)
KookMaster5000
Member Guru

Default 02-02-2017, 02:35 | posts: 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAOS GAMING View Post
Here are my results so far (after a bit of tweaking):

I'm still working to make it look more normal, but it's coming along well.

Old
  (#1456)
KookMaster5000
Member Guru

Default 02-02-2017, 03:27 | posts: 108

Quote:
Here are my results so far (after a bit of tweaking):

I'm still working to make it look more normal, but it's coming along well.
If you're having issues opening the links, just try it in a new tab, It won't work for me either.

Old
  (#1457)
TheCrasher
Master Guru

Videocard: MSI GTX970 Gaming 4g SLI
Processor: i7 4790k
Mainboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5
Memory: HyperX Fury 1600MHz 32GB
Soundcard: Onboard
PSU: EVGA Supernova 1000 G2
Default 02-02-2017, 03:41 | posts: 453 | Location: Manitoba, Canada

In order to get the lighting to work properly, you have to use the E3 parameters in windy_city.rml

The results are displeasing:

Click to show spoiler

I'm trying to make the fog render farther away, does anyone know how to change the fog render distance?

Last edited by TheCrasher; 02-02-2017 at 04:54.

Old
  (#1458)
KAOS GAMING
Master Guru

Videocard: GTX 960 4gb
Processor: intel core i5 4460
Mainboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PT
Memory: 8gb DDR3
Soundcard:
PSU: Corsair 550w
Default 02-02-2017, 10:46 | posts: 333

Quote:
What I did was go into E3 clear lighting.Clear_Lighting.xml and copy all of the code after the variables are initialized (So start copying where it says this);
<object name="gradSunLightColor">
<object name="Knots">

and copied that all the way through the end of the code, and pasted that in place of the code after the variables are stated in E3_2013.Clear_Lighting. Next, I went down to AutoExposure and changed selLuminanceComputationMethod from Histogram threshold to GPU average. This will eliminate the strange black dots they were/are seeing with Crasher's mashup mod.

This will give you the lighting preset used in E3 2012's demo during clear weather. It has a few issues, mostly concerning static reflections which are rather intense.

If you want storm lighting too, do the same with E3 stromy lighting and E3 2013 stormy lighting. (which is way too dark during the day, I'd recommend tweaking that if you want daytime stormy weather to be playable).

Also, I'm not sure it makes a difference, but CurveSpeed in the stormy weather in the first Knot is set to 100 rather than the usual 0. Not sure if that messes it up, but I'd change it back to 0 just to avoid issues.
wait so you copy from e3 clear file to what file?

Old
  (#1459)
KookMaster5000
Member Guru

Default 02-02-2017, 12:28 | posts: 108

E3_2013.Clear_Lighting. Not everything will look exactly like E3 because of engine changes that we can't undo, but the coloring will look a lot more like E3, especially sunset and night time.

Old
  (#1460)
The Silver
Master Guru

Soundcard:
Default 02-02-2017, 14:40 | posts: 582

Quote:
No way man, that's awesome! I've been wanting to fix the gameplay for the longest time, but I never knew anything about modding so I figured it was far fetched. If you could share that with me that'd be great! Are the tweaks you mentioned the only ones, or did you make others?

Regardless, that sounds awesome.
Ok I will create a thread for this minimod as soon as I can, and I will include also a quick guide for editing it, so everyone will be able to tune it to suit his taste.
I was also trying to add patrolling cop cars and cops on foot, and maybe slightly increase the chance of seeing ambulances and firetrucks, but I can't promise anything.

Last edited by The Silver; 02-02-2017 at 14:43.

Old
  (#1461)
KookMaster5000
Member Guru

Default 02-02-2017, 15:23 | posts: 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Silver View Post
Ok I will create a thread for this minimod as soon as I can, and I will include also a quick guide for editing it, so everyone will be able to tune it to suit his taste.
I was also trying to add patrolling cop cars and cops on foot, and maybe slightly increase the chance of seeing ambulances and firetrucks, but I can't promise anything.
Hey, whatever you can do sounds great. I'll be looking forward to it. Do you mind if I make a version of my mod with your gameplay edits when I release it? I'll be sure to give you credits of course.

Old
  (#1462)
KookMaster5000
Member Guru

Default 02-02-2017, 15:44 | posts: 108

Quote:
Hey, whatever you can do sounds great. I'll be looking forward to it. Do you mind if I make a version of my mod with your gameplay edits when I release it? I'll be sure to give you credits of course.
On the subject, I wonder how hard it would be to make gang hide outs appear in the open world?

In the loading screens there are hints about how sometimes if cops and gangs are in the vicinity they might fight each other. I imagine it'd be easier to have that happen if they're not completely separated by mission scenarios, ya know? That might be really hard to do though.

Old
  (#1463)
TheCrasher
Master Guru

Default 02-02-2017, 21:05 | posts: 453 | Location: Manitoba, Canada

Does anyone know how to change fog distance?

Old
  (#1464)
KookMaster5000
Member Guru

Default 02-03-2017, 21:49 | posts: 108

Okay. It's not completely done yet, but a couple people have asked me for an unfinished version of my E3 lighting patch. Daytime and nighttime rain lighting are still too dark, but the clear lighting is good in my opinion. I'll still make some tweaks to both, but you can find a WIP version here:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...TQ?usp=sharing

This is without any sort of texture performance mod (like Maldo or TonyMbr) so if you wanna try it with that on, you'll have to unpack it with Disrupt tools and put them in yourself. This version also includes the following other mods:

Barretta m92,
Essenthy road reflections(I think I removed sidewalk reflections because they weren't drying for me during dry weather),
ThatGuy's sun lens flare,
Light bloom and light DOF by TXGT,
Relief mapping by The_Silver,
as well as E3 2012 focus and head bob. It's also Bad Blood compatable.

While it's work in progress, everything's completely functional. I mainly just want to tweak some lighting settings (especially in storm weather) to make seeing things easier. The final version will also have one with headlight shadows on, as well as other mods included. (I also plan to release one with The_Silver's gameplay tweaks).

I hope you guys enjoy what I have so far, I'll be working on it more in the coming days.

Old
  (#1465)
KookMaster5000
Member Guru

Default 02-03-2017, 21:50 | posts: 108

Quote:
Okay. It's not completely done yet, but a couple people have asked me for an unfinished version of my E3 lighting patch. Daytime and nighttime rain lighting are still too dark
Also, another disclaimer; I haven't edited indoor lighting settings yet. I'll get to that after I finish the outside lighting first.

Old
  (#1466)
TheCrasher
Master Guru

Default 02-03-2017, 22:51 | posts: 453 | Location: Manitoba, Canada

First cloud editing attempt: Failure

Click to show spoiler

Can someone help me with the fog settings in windy_city.game.xml, I only want a small amount of fog in the distance. I've asked this three times now with no answer.

Click to show spoiler

Last edited by TheCrasher; 02-05-2017 at 20:50.

Old
  (#1467)
KookMaster5000
Member Guru

Default 02-04-2017, 21:39 | posts: 108

Hey guys, the mod's coming along pretty well, though I have a few questions about where I can find other mods. I'm currently looking for the white helicopter spot light and the red and blue police lens flares, does anybody know a good place to find these?

Also, does anybody know how to edit bloom on lights other than the sun? Personally I like the bloom that comes with retail for the sun, but I'd like to have some bloom around streetlights at night and with those you can see in the day. Does anybody know how to edit these things?

Old
  (#1468)
KookMaster5000
Member Guru

Red face 02-05-2017, 14:22 | posts: 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrasher View Post

Click to show spoiler

Can someone help me with the fog settings in windy_city.game.xml, I only want a small amount of fog in the distance. I've asked this three times now with no answer.

Click to show spoiler
Sorry crasher, I'd help but I don't know how to edit fog, Ive looked into it but don't know how to convert the object hashes to readable code. If you told me how to get in and fix that then I could mess around some and try to help you.

Last edited by KookMaster5000; 02-05-2017 at 14:24.

Old
  (#1469)
exacelt
Master Guru

Videocard: EVGA Hybrid GTX 1070 SLI
Processor: Intel i7-4790k
Mainboard: ASUS Maximus VII Hero
Memory: DDR3 16GB
PSU: Corsair RM850
Default 02-05-2017, 15:46 | posts: 180 | Location: Classified

Quote:

Click to show spoiler

Click to show spoiler
Sorry, but I don't know anything about fog values to be able to help you...
Wish you luck though! x.x

Old
  (#1470)
txgt
Maha Guru

Videocard: Gigabyte GTX 770 OC 4GB
Processor: Intel Core i7-3770K
Mainboard: ASUS MAXIMUS V EXTREME
Memory: Team Xtreem 2600MHz 16GB
Soundcard: GTX 770 HDMI
PSU: Cooler Master SPG 1200W
Default 02-05-2017, 18:17 | posts: 808 | Location: Russia

Quote:
Does anyone know how to change fog distance?
I don't know either. I asked mleemiles to translate the code from "environmentfog.lib" like he did with the other libs recently but he didn't answer me.
For now you can try out the distant fog setting from Bad Blood DLC, just put this value "1991434354" into envfogsettingsFog in windy_city.xml

Quote:
Light bloom and light DOF by TXGT,
I don't remember releasing "Light Bloom" standalone files. Where did you get it? Maybe you used "Disabled Bloom" from Variety Pack?

Old
  (#1471)
TheCrasher
Master Guru

Default 02-05-2017, 20:52 | posts: 453 | Location: Manitoba, Canada

Okay, thank you, I just thought you guys were ignoring me, and I was getting frustrated with this.

I'll look into this further, I'll put in some random code in windy_city.game.xml's envfogsettingfog in the mean time.

Old
  (#1472)
The Silver
Master Guru

Soundcard:
Default 02-05-2017, 20:56 | posts: 582

Quote:
Okay, thank you, I just thought you guys were ignoring me, and I was getting frustrated with this.

I'll look into this further, I'll put in some random code in windy_city.game.xml's envfogsettingfog in the mean time.
If noone knows the answer you expect a "no I don't know" from everyone? If you ask and noone replies means that noone knows the answer, especially if you've already asked several times, no need for childish huge red text.

Noone replied to my question a page back (http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.ph...postcount=1418) but I didn't freak out, I just assumed that noone knew anything about it and started working on solving it myself.

Last edited by The Silver; 02-05-2017 at 21:00.

Old
  (#1473)
KookMaster5000
Member Guru

Default 02-06-2017, 00:16 | posts: 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by txgt View Post
I don't remember releasing "Light Bloom" standalone files. Where did you get it? Maybe you used "Disabled Bloom" from Variety Pack?
I looked afterwards and realized I meant standard bloom. I guess I was thinking light DOF? I realized that after redownloading your variety pack.

Old
  (#1474)
KookMaster5000
Member Guru

Default 02-07-2017, 20:36 | posts: 108

Hey, my mod is rapidly progressing and becoming closer to E3, so I just wanted to say thanks in advance to everyone who has helped out. On the subject of helping out, does anyone know a good place to find the E3 ambrose theater lighting mod? The one that makes the sign blueish and changes colors.

Old
  (#1475)
KookMaster5000
Member Guru

Default 02-11-2017, 04:50 | posts: 108

Quote:
Hey, my mod is rapidly progressing and becoming closer to E3, so I just wanted to say thanks in advance to everyone who has helped out. On the subject of helping out, does anyone know a good place to find the E3 ambrose theater lighting mod? The one that makes the sign blueish and changes colors.
Turns out I just got the mod from ThatGuy's Definitive Mod (which is a really good looking mod btw). However, now that I have night time storm lighting looking good, does anybody have any good ideas on how to improve the daytime storm lighting?

I keep trying to mess with SunlightIntensity and Sunbounce so it doesn't mess with night time, but it keeps ending up looking like trash. Does anybody know any good ways to balance these two without interfering with night time storm lighting? I currently have low Sunlight intensity and higher sunbounce, but the other way around just seems to make the shadows super dark (They're still kinda dark right now, but less than the other way).