Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > Hardware > Computer Monitor Forum
Computer Monitor Forum IPS Panels, Brands, Ultra HD, G-Sync, 144Hz, FreeSync it all is monitor related. This is the place where you can discuss all monitor related matters. Find help and information about high resolutions and refresh rates, VGA ti Display port connectors.

View Poll Results: Do you use Color Sustainer in Global mode or in Mode-specific mode (v1.03.1+) ?
Global mode 27 61.36%
Mode-specific mode 9 20.45%
A mix of the two 8 18.18%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old
  (#76)
yasamoka
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 290X CF H2O
Processor: 5820K @ 4.3GHz 1.26V H2O
Mainboard: MSI X99S SLi Plus
Memory: 16GB Crucial DDR4-2133
Soundcard: Audio-GD NFB-11.32 +DT880
PSU: CM Silent Pro Hybrid 1300
Default 03-04-2014, 07:00 | posts: 4,296 | Location: Lebanon

Quote:
Originally Posted by driedupfish View Post
Hey Yasamoka,

I have the same problem, when I try to associate a color profile, it is red. I have PM you the color profile. I grabbed this profile from the Qnix / X-Star club thread.

Thanks
Check for the solution a page back.

Old
  (#77)
dove
Master Guru

Videocard: Powercolor 6950 2GB
Processor: i5 4670k @4.4Ghz
Mainboard: Asus Z97-A
Memory: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP
Soundcard: Onboard Realtek
PSU: eVGA G2 750W
Default 03-04-2014, 11:34 | posts: 312 | Location: London

Quote:
Originally Posted by yasamoka View Post
Wow, new case. I assumed, as I've seen at my side, that only one display shows up per device. Look up there, you have two displays showing up per device.

This is interesting, let's see what to make of this...

How are your monitors connected, and which are enabled? Seems like you have more than two monitors.

EDIT: Try this out. v1.03.3
I always knew I was a special case

Thanks, that version works and detects the second monitor fine

I've got my primary Dell U2412M connected to Displayport, the secondary Dell ST2220M on the DVI port and the Pansonic TV on the HDMI port. These three ports are all in line on the card and there's another DVI port next to them which I don't use and if I recall correctly, it's not possible to have all three outputs working if I use that port rather than the one in line with the others that I am using.

I only have the Primary enabled most of the time but had the Secondary enabled as well for the previous tests. When using the TV, I tend to either have it cloned to the monitor as it's easier if I need to click on something with my desk mouse to launch a game like that but sometimes only have the TV enabled.

Old
  (#78)
yasamoka
Ancient Guru

Default 03-04-2014, 13:35 | posts: 4,296 | Location: Lebanon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dove View Post
I always knew I was a special case

Thanks, that version works and detects the second monitor fine

I've got my primary Dell U2412M connected to Displayport, the secondary Dell ST2220M on the DVI port and the Pansonic TV on the HDMI port. These three ports are all in line on the card and there's another DVI port next to them which I don't use and if I recall correctly, it's not possible to have all three outputs working if I use that port rather than the one in line with the others that I am using.

I only have the Primary enabled most of the time but had the Secondary enabled as well for the previous tests. When using the TV, I tend to either have it cloned to the monitor as it's easier if I need to click on something with my desk mouse to launch a game like that but sometimes only have the TV enabled.
Alright, awesome. Note that when cloning displays, you cannot apply separate color profiles in any way. The two monitors will be treated as one monitor, the main monitor, and using Color Sustainer in cloned mode will detect them as the main monitor and apply the respective color profile.

Remembered your questions on the other thread, I need to go a bit in detail but I'll share what I know over there.

Old
  (#79)
driedupfish
Member Guru

Videocard: AMD / Gigabyte / 3 GB
Processor: Intel i5
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: SeaSonic
Default 03-04-2014, 16:07 | posts: 57

Hi Yasa, how does this program interact with F.lux? There might be conflicts between the two as both try to apply their own color profile. I don't use F.lux while gaming, but I do use F.lux other times especially at night. I guess I can disable the color sustainer while using F.lux and vice versa when gaming.

What about the interaction with overlays like MSi Afterburner...Rivatuner, Fraps..SweetFX.etc.

Also, Yasa did you post a color profile for 96hz somewhere? If so can you provide the link because I want to try it out.

Thanks.

Last edited by driedupfish; 03-04-2014 at 16:47.

Old
  (#80)
yasamoka
Ancient Guru

Default 03-04-2014, 18:45 | posts: 4,296 | Location: Lebanon

Quote:
Originally Posted by driedupfish View Post
Hi Yasa, how does this program interact with F.lux? There might be conflicts between the two as both try to apply their own color profile. I don't use F.lux while gaming, but I do use F.lux other times especially at night. I guess I can disable the color sustainer while using F.lux and vice versa when gaming.

What about the interaction with overlays like MSi Afterburner...Rivatuner, Fraps..SweetFX.etc.

Also, Yasa did you post a color profile for 96hz somewhere? If so can you provide the link because I want to try it out.

Thanks.
Color Sustainer does not interact with anything. It merely sets color profiles, and given that the option "Lock Color Profiles" is checked, will aim to preserve them by loading them back at intervals whenever it detects that they have been changed. That's why it conflicts with F.Lux, as that application sets its gamma ramp in the same way 3rd-party color management applications do.

Doesn't impact any overlay software, or anything else for that matter. Some games flat out ignore your color profiles and there is currently no way around this, neither with AMD nor with Nvidia. AMD allow color adjustments within CCC to stay put since they're loaded somewhere no system / application could touch, and they even work in conjunction with color profiles. Check out the sister thread "Games & Color Profiles" for an explanation of what's going on and a list of games (that you can hopefully add to if you would like to give feedback).

96Hz profile is linked to by Hallryu on the first page.

Old
  (#81)
dove
Master Guru

Videocard: Powercolor 6950 2GB
Processor: i5 4670k @4.4Ghz
Mainboard: Asus Z97-A
Memory: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP
Soundcard: Onboard Realtek
PSU: eVGA G2 750W
Default 03-05-2014, 07:55 | posts: 312 | Location: London

Quote:
Alright, awesome. Note that when cloning displays, you cannot apply separate color profiles in any way. The two monitors will be treated as one monitor, the main monitor, and using Color Sustainer in cloned mode will detect them as the main monitor and apply the respective color profile.
Good point. I hadn't thought of that. If the input on the TV was only used for my PC, I'd just calibrate the TV to the PC so it wouldn't really matter that it was using the monitor colour profile but I can't do that as the input's used by some other devices, so I'll have to make sure I only have the TV output enabled on the PC and create a profile for it to calibrate the PC to the TV.

Old
  (#82)
yasamoka
Ancient Guru

Default 03-26-2014, 10:58 | posts: 4,296 | Location: Lebanon

@driedupfish: Try out my Qnix QX2710 5000K g2.2 60Hz profile instead of F.lux, see if it works better for you. This profile is a hardware sensor calibration to 5000K , not a mathematical shift from 6500K to 5000K for an uncalibrated monitor that is very probably not at 6500K already.

EDIT: Superceded.

Last edited by yasamoka; 03-29-2014 at 01:52.

Old
  (#83)
yasamoka
Ancient Guru

Default 04-11-2014, 12:23 | posts: 4,296 | Location: Lebanon

May someone who is willing to donate please test the donation process with me via PM? Thank you.

Old
  (#84)
HonoredShadow
Ancient Guru

Videocard: MSI 980Ti OC+ASUS Swift
Processor: 2700k@4.8 Noctua NH-U12P
Mainboard: AsRock Z77 Extreme4
Memory: 16GB Corsair 1866mhz
Soundcard: ASUS Xonar DX PCI-E
PSU: 1300W EVGA SuperNOVA
Default 04-28-2014, 21:11 | posts: 4,207 | Location: UK

yasamoka. I'm using your 60hz and 96hz .ICC profiles atm. Just trying out your program for the first time.

How do I know if I have set it correctly for games that use 60hz? I have associated the 60hz profile with 59hz and 60 and the 96 for 96 obviously.

Do I need to click start every time? I do have it starting with Windows and minimizing.

I wanted to play Shank and Ion Storm on Steam. They only use 60hz. I don't see a change in brightness or colours when I run them.

I do know that at the desktop the program has changed the profile because if I click on quick gamma it shows the numbers of the 96hz .ICC profile you made if that makes sense.

Old
  (#85)
eclap
Banned

Videocard: Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
Processor: i7 7700k @5ghz NH-D15
Mainboard: Asus ROG Maximux IX Hero
Memory: 16GB Vengeance 3200mhz
Soundcard: AuneT1/AD700/DT880/HD650
PSU: XFX Black 750W 80+ Gold
Default 04-28-2014, 22:24 | posts: 31,511 | Location: Hampshire, UK

you could try associating one of the pre-defined profiles (RED/BLUE etc) and then launch the game. if everything goes RED (using a red profile) then you know that your set profiles are applying

Old
  (#86)
HonoredShadow
Ancient Guru

Default 04-28-2014, 22:29 | posts: 4,207 | Location: UK

Good idea! Not played around with it much will try that tommorow.

Cheers dude.

Old
  (#87)
yasamoka
Ancient Guru

Default 04-28-2014, 23:09 | posts: 4,296 | Location: Lebanon

Yep, what eclap said.

The application starts automatically if you have that respective option checked. It starts minimized if you also have that respective option checked. There's not much benefit in having the application startup with Windows without being minimized, without being started, so I have left that possibility out and keep others where you simply want the application to rest in the tray for when you want to use profiles, and / or you want your profiles to load with Windows.

Hope you enjoy using the software!

Don't forget to use the latest version, currently v1.04.1.

Last edited by yasamoka; 04-28-2014 at 23:15.

Old
  (#88)
eclap
Banned

Default 04-28-2014, 23:19 | posts: 31,511 | Location: Hampshire, UK

Quote:
Yep, what eclap said.

The application starts automatically if you have that respective option checked. It starts minimized if you also have that respective option checked. There's not much benefit in having the application startup with Windows without being minimized, without being started, so I have left that possibility out and keep others where you simply want the application to rest in the tray for when you want to use profiles, and / or you want your profiles to load with Windows.

Hope you enjoy using the software!

Don't forget to use the latest version, currently v1.04.1.
Update the OP mate, still says 1.03

EDIT: Just installed 1.04.1, what's the difference between global and mode specific? Is global basically going to plaster the same profile over every resolution/refresh rate and mode specific is how it worked before global was added?

BTW, still loving this app, such a godsend, love you man.

Last edited by eclap; 04-28-2014 at 23:28.

Old
  (#89)
yasamoka
Ancient Guru

Default 04-28-2014, 23:29 | posts: 4,296 | Location: Lebanon

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclap View Post
Update the OP mate, still says 1.03
Hah was just doing that. Done!

Now that v1.04 upwards check for updates and notify the user that an update is available, it's easier for all users to stay on the latest version if need be.

Quote:
EDIT: Just installed 1.04.1, what's the difference between global and mode specific? Is global basically going to plaster the same profile over every resolution/refresh rate and mode specific is how it worked before global was added?
Yes, that is correct. Global mode is for when you want to use the software on a laptop / display that keeps running at 1080p / 1440p 60Hz, for example. Laptop displays generally run at one mode / do not change color accuracy significantly for multiple profiles to matter, so global is fit for those.

I think one reason I hurried to add a global mode (don't remember if that was indeed the case) was that I recently bought a new laptop, the Lenovo Ideapad Yoga 2 Pro. It has a gorgeous 3200x1800 screen that I have calibrated (of course...), and the laptop rotates into portrait mode too. I found that the color profile gets disabled when I rotate the laptop into portrait mode. Reason was that Color Sustainer was detecting the newly-rotated screen as 1800x3200 instead, failing to find an associated profile! The program got ahead of me lol

Color accuracy does seem to change with brightness, however, particularly when jumping between a normal, realistic brightness level (~120-160cd/m2 for example) and max brightness(~300cd/m2 for example). According to what I've read, manufacturers tend to push the backlight hard at max brightness resulting in higher blue levels. What's puzzling, however, is that this laptop uses PWM backlight control and that should mean the LED backlight should still be delivering the same spectral distribution over all brightnesses, leading to the same color (in)accuracy.

I tend to use max brightness when using the laptop outdoors, so I guess I will be factoring in brightness-specific color profile support for laptop displays

Quote:
BTW, still loving this app, such a godsend, love you man.
Great to hear that, (might) love you back, no homo.

Last edited by yasamoka; 04-28-2014 at 23:39.

Old
  (#90)
eclap
Banned

Default 04-28-2014, 23:40 | posts: 31,511 | Location: Hampshire, UK

Quote:
Hah was just doing that. Done!

Now that v1.04 upwards check for updates and notify the user that an update is available, it's easier for all users to stay on the latest version if need be.

Yes, that is correct. Global mode is for when you want to use the software on a laptop / display that keeps running at 1080p / 1440p 60Hz, for example. Laptop displays generally run at one mode / do not change color accuracy significantly for multiple profiles to matter, so global is fit for those.

I think one reason I hurried to add a global mode (don't remember if that was indeed the case) was that I recently bought a new laptop, the Lenovo Ideapad Yoga 2 Pro. It has a gorgeous 3200x1800 screen that I have calibrated (of course...), and the laptop rotates into portrait mode too. I found that the color profile gets disabled when I rotate the laptop into portrait mode. Reason was that Color Sustainer was detecting the newly-rotated screen as 1800x3200 instead, failing to find an associated profile! The program got ahead of me lol

Color accuracy does seem to change with brightness, however, particularly when jumping between a normal, realistic brightness level (~120-160cd/m2 for example) and max brightness(~300cd/m2 for example). According to what I've read, manufacturers tend to push the backlight hard at max brightness resulting in higher blue levels. What's puzzling, however, is that this laptop uses PWM backlight control and that should mean the LED backlight should still be delivering the same spectral distribution over all brightnesses, leading to the same color (in)accuracy.

I tend to use max brightness when using the laptop outdoors, so I guess I will be factoring in brightness-specific color profile support for laptop displays

Great to hear that, (might) love you back, no homo.
Ah, global makes sense then, for certain users, not for me so I voted mode specific. Gorgeous laptop btw, really awesome spec!

Old
  (#91)
yasamoka
Ancient Guru

Default 04-28-2014, 23:50 | posts: 4,296 | Location: Lebanon

I use a mix of the two. Global mode for my secondary Viewsonic VX2450wm-LED (hating TN viewing angles by now, so have it tilted upwards), 2 other TVs, and the laptop. I have verified that one of the TVs skips frames when overclocked, so that means it's either going to run at 60Hz or less. I haven't tested color accuracy at 23.976Hz and 50Hz, which can be used for 24FPS and 25FPS movies (in order to avoid 3:2 pulldown), so that TV remains in global mode. The other TV is a 32" 1360x768 TV that I bet doesn't overclock either, but worth a try eventually. The ViewSonic overclocks to 75Hz, but given that I use it as a secondary display for text, it remains at 1080p 60Hz, with a profile to match.

The laptop display does support 48Hz too, so if I ever decide to watch movies on the laptop, I might take a look at color accuracy at 48Hz compared to 60Hz.

The laptop is amazing, it's the best choice for me as far as the current laptop market goes. It's light, slim, has good battery life, has capable hardware, has a good backlit keyboard (that had me missing characters at first because of the 2KRO), and, of course, a gorgeous touchscreen. The screen isn't perfect, though; it's PenTile RG-BG, uses PWM (although not at a frequency visible to my eyes), has a 400:1 contrast ratio, and has a little-fair green tint out-of-the-box (fixed by hardware sensor calibration). PenTile doesn't matter too much since it's a 13.3" display at ~270PPI already, the PWM I do not notice, but the low contrast ratio means I'd rather watch movies on the Qnix / TV (something normally done anyways). However, given I use the laptop for internet browsing, university work, programming, and basically other text duties, it's pretty much the best choice.

The other worthy competitors are the Samsung Ativ Book 9 Plus (using the same panel) and the Toshiba KIRABook / Satellite 4K laptops, which, being (almost) heavy workstations with 15.6" displays and quite a chunk more expensive, are not as suitable for high portability (I can carry my ultrabook anywhere I go, really). They also lack touchscreens, something I have found vital if you're using a laptop without a mouse. Sometimes it's just much faster clicking wherever I want to go instead of pointing at it with a mouse, particularly when the screen is small (13.3") and close to you.

The laptop can also be placed in tent mode, stand mode, and tablet mode, the last two being just fantastic for when you want a secondary display to show a PDF or document, or when you want to show something to someone or just relax on the couch with the laptop-tablet in your hands (even if it gets a bit heavy at that point).

Something few reviewers show is how fantastically this panel covers the sRGB colorspace:
 Click to show spoiler

Last edited by yasamoka; 04-29-2014 at 00:01.

Old
  (#92)
HonoredShadow
Ancient Guru

Default 05-01-2014, 09:43 | posts: 4,207 | Location: UK

When I click on modes and even if I tick Detect or delete all and re-detect, I see multiple of the same. For instance 1280x720x32. There are 3 @ 59hz and 3 @ 60hz and 1 @ 96.

How can I remove the unneeded ones?

Old
  (#93)
yasamoka
Ancient Guru

Default 05-01-2014, 17:25 | posts: 4,296 | Location: Lebanon

Right-click, delete.

Old
  (#94)
HonoredShadow
Ancient Guru

Default 05-01-2014, 17:45 | posts: 4,207 | Location: UK

Lol. Ok! Seems obvious now. You did a great job with this software.

So as long as I have 1 of each I'm set.

Old
  (#95)
xDinho

Videocard: 8GB
Processor: Intel Core i7
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: RM850
Default 05-03-2014, 05:42 | posts: 4

Voces podem me ajudar? eu baixei 2 ICC feito pelo NCX, um para uso geral e outro para filme, agora nao estou sabendo como usar o Color Sustainer.
Qnix 2710

Old
  (#96)
yasamoka
Ancient Guru

Default 05-03-2014, 09:24 | posts: 4,296 | Location: Lebanon

May someone who speaks both English and Portuguese help him out? I understood his question but I do not know how to answer.

Old
  (#97)
eclap
Banned

Default 05-03-2014, 11:11 | posts: 31,511 | Location: Hampshire, UK

hmmm. can you not make a picture guide of how to apply profiles yasa? I know what he's after, but it'll be hard to explain if he doesn't speak English.

Old
  (#98)
yasamoka
Ancient Guru

Default 05-03-2014, 13:10 | posts: 4,296 | Location: Lebanon

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclap View Post
hmmm. can you not make a picture guide of how to apply profiles yasa? I know what he's after, but it'll be hard to explain if he doesn't speak English.
Good idea, will do so later on in the day when I get a bit of free time.

Old
  (#99)
xDinho

Videocard: 8GB
Processor: Intel Core i7
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: RM850
Default 05-03-2014, 16:28 | posts: 4

I can understand you guys, just a basic photos help me already.

Old
  (#100)
HonoredShadow
Ancient Guru

Default 05-05-2014, 17:27 | posts: 4,207 | Location: UK

I have been using your Qnix_2.2_6500_11clicks_96Hz yasamoka but as I may have said earlier somewhere, for my monitor it is a little red. So I used quick gamma to change the red level on your .ICC to 45 instead of 51.

I saved it then went into Colour Sustainer. I clicked my res and 96hz then associated the new quick gamma .ICC that was created to that res and hz. Nothing. It will not associate with it. If I click off that res for instance and go back it's not associated again.

Is there any way to do this? Thanks again