Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > Hardware > Computer Monitor Forum
Computer Monitor Forum IPS Panels, Brands, Ultra HD, G-Sync, 144Hz, FreeSync it all is monitor related. This is the place where you can discuss all monitor related matters. Find help and information about high resolutions and refresh rates, VGA ti Display port connectors.

View Poll Results: Do you use Color Sustainer in Global mode or in Mode-specific mode (v1.03.1+) ?
Global mode 27 61.36%
Mode-specific mode 9 20.45%
A mix of the two 8 18.18%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old
  (#51)
JaylumX
Master Guru

Videocard: GTX 970
Processor: i5 760 @ 3.8
Mainboard: ASUS P7P55D-E
Memory: 12GB Corsair 9-9-9-24
Soundcard: Xonar HDAV 1.3/AV40
PSU: Corsair 750W PSU
Default 02-28-2014, 07:26 | posts: 508 | Location: Somewhere Else

Seems to be in working order. Thank you.

BTW do you plan on having a feature to enable the profile for all resolutions, like a batch enable feature?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yasamoka View Post
Ahh, nice.
I made a temporary solution that worked with me (with your profile ofc).

We're going to use a 3rd-party profile loader to load the color profile, then grab the gamma ramp loaded into Windows with a small applet I made just now.

Download ArgyllCMS.

Extract ArgyllCMS, you'll find an executable named "dispwin" in there. Navigate, using cmd, to the bin folder containing this executable (for example: "cd C:\Argyll_V1.6.3\bin\"), then type dispwin [directory of profile]. The profile will be loaded.

There's a point in using a 3rd-party loader over Windows, particularly seeing you have an AMD card. This explains it.

Then, download the small applet here.

Note that this might work only with Color Sustainer. I dump all the information that Color Sustainer does not read from the ICM profile and focus only on the 3x256 matrix that contains the RGB value mappings grabbed in the gamma ramp.

Run the applet, and a file "Profile.icm" should be generated. Load that into Color Sustainer and it should work (for any profile out there that dispwin can read - all of them?).

Tell me how it goes, and you're welcome!

*Chest thump*

Old
  (#52)
Deathchild
Ancient Guru

Videocard: -
Processor: -
Mainboard: -
Memory: -
Soundcard: -
PSU: -
Default 02-28-2014, 11:02 | posts: 3,972 | Location: Estonia

You can just add them separately?

Actually nvm.

Last edited by Deathchild; 02-28-2014 at 11:10.

Old
  (#53)
Sajittarius
Master Guru

Videocard: Gigabyte GTX980Ti
Processor: Core I7 4790k
Mainboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO
Memory: 16GB Crucial Ballistix
Soundcard: X-Fi Titanium HD
PSU: 850W Corsair
Default 02-28-2014, 13:47 | posts: 280 | Location: New York, USA

Quote:
Then, download the small applet here.

Note that this might work only with Color Sustainer. I dump all the information that Color Sustainer does not read from the ICM profile and focus only on the 3x256 matrix that contains the RGB value mappings grabbed in the gamma ramp.

Run the applet, and a file "Profile.icm" should be generated. Load that into Color Sustainer and it should work (for any profile out there that dispwin can read - all of them?).

Tell me how it goes, and you're welcome!

*Chest thump*
I did this and its working! I switched from 1920x1080@60hz to 59hz and then back to 60hz and it definitely applied the gamma scale i wanted

I have to go to work right now, but later i will try restarting my pc to see if it runs automatically. I am using Windows 8.1 if that matters.

Old
  (#54)
yasamoka
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 290X CF H2O
Processor: 5820K @ 4.3GHz 1.26V H2O
Mainboard: MSI X99S SLi Plus
Memory: 16GB Crucial DDR4-2133
Soundcard: Audio-GD NFB-11.32 +DT880
PSU: CM Silent Pro Hybrid 1300
Default 02-28-2014, 14:05 | posts: 4,296 | Location: Lebanon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaylumX View Post
Seems to be in working order. Thank you.

BTW do you plan on having a feature to enable the profile for all resolutions, like a batch enable feature?
Yes! Yes I do!

It's coming sooner or later.

Old
  (#55)
yasamoka
Ancient Guru

Default 03-01-2014, 00:06 | posts: 4,296 | Location: Lebanon

Sorry for the late replies guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kens30 View Post
Sounds like an great app one question does it support both Nvidia and AMD gpu's??
Will definitely download to try it out.
Hopefully this will be the perfect tool to create custom color profiles based on different resolutions too.
Because i use a 32 inch 1080p lcd tv as my monitor and only by selecting the native res (1080p) or (720p) i get great vibrant colors as they should be.
Selecting any other res other than the above i mentioned the colors are all washed out,and look terrible.
Definitely works for all GPUs, though I'm finding that Intel GPUs sometimes give issues with detection and such. Would have looked into it further if only I had a system with an Intel iGPU (I hate them with a passion).

Didn't fully understand what you would like to do with the application, but give it a go and tell me what you have done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajittarius View Post
does anyone know an easy way to export my current ICC profile? I didnt realize powerstrip keeps it in the registry, lol...
Was about to suggest you take a look at the solution I gave to JaylumX. Seeing as you already did so, good to know it worked for you.
Quote:
I did this and its working! I switched from 1920x1080@60hz to 59hz and then back to 60hz and it definitely applied the gamma scale i wanted

I have to go to work right now, but later i will try restarting my pc to see if it runs automatically. I am using Windows 8.1 if that matters.
Waiting for your feedback.

Old
  (#56)
yasamoka
Ancient Guru

Default 03-01-2014, 03:47 | posts: 4,296 | Location: Lebanon

Feedback Time!

Version 1.03.2 here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changelog
-Added the option to change a monitor between Global mode / Mode-specific mode.
Simply right-click on the monitor to get the option.

Extract executable into Color Sustainer v1.03 directory and launch it there. Backup your current Tree as this will update it to v1.03.1 (cannot be read by v1.03). Don't forget to re-enable startup options from v1.03.1 if you want that version to run at startup.

Please try and make it crash. Change from Global to Mode-specific and vice-versa, while having a (active) profile at a certain mode / global profile, start and stop the loop, delete modes (active), monitors (active), etc... so I can make sure there are no apparent bugs and publish this.

Thanks.

EDIT: Changed to v1.03.2

Quote:
1.03.2:
Resolved the following issues:

-Removing a profile association from an active monitor in Global mode while the loop is running does not set the current profile to NULL.

-Setting a color profile (or changing from such color profile to a pre-defined tint) to an inactive mode for an active monitor in Mode-specific mode will set the current profile's ramp but not name to that color profile.

-Changed title to v1.03.2 (was 1.03 for v1.03.1)

Last edited by yasamoka; 03-01-2014 at 15:46.

Old
  (#57)
Koniakki
Maha Guru

Videocard: ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
Processor: Intel i7 6700k@4.7G's
Mainboard: ASUS ROG Maximus 8 Hero
Memory: GSkill TRDZ 3733CL15 32GB
Soundcard: MB ALC1150 SPDIF-OUT
PSU: CORSAIR RMx 750W GOLD
Default 03-01-2014, 03:59 | posts: 2,148 | Location: Inside My Thoughts..

yasamoka great work! Congrats!

One question please. Does it work with downsampling? If so how do I go about it if its not too much trouble(or a link/guide to read will do also).

Using 2560x1440 and 3840x2160 downsampled resos btw.

Old
  (#58)
yasamoka
Ancient Guru

Default 03-01-2014, 04:07 | posts: 4,296 | Location: Lebanon

Thanks!

Downsampling relies on custom resolutions that are reported by Windows and detected by Color Sustainer. Just click on Detect and the rest should be intuitive.

Old
  (#59)
dove
Master Guru

Videocard: Powercolor 6950 2GB
Processor: i5 4670k @4.4Ghz
Mainboard: Asus Z97-A
Memory: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP
Soundcard: Onboard Realtek
PSU: eVGA G2 750W
Default 03-01-2014, 12:39 | posts: 312 | Location: London

Quote:
Mmm, compatibility is mostly a game thing. Both applications should work in the same scenarios and not work in the same scenarios as well.

Games either override your color profile (by using the same function CPK, Color Sustainer, and 3rd-party ICC profile loader apps use: SetDeviceGammaRamp())
OR they completely ignore your color profile when in fullscreen mode (by calling the DXGI function SetGammaControl() which allows a fullscreen application to ignore the color profile loaded in Windows).
Could you clarify please, does this mean that Color Sustainer won't actually make fullscreen games use the calibrated colour profiles? It seems that using Fullscreen Windowed mode in certain games (e.g. ArmA3) leaves the colour profile activated, so that's a workaround although obviously not all games offer such a mode or might run slower than in fullscreen, so it would be nice if Colour Sustainer does allow me to use games fullscreen.

Old
  (#60)
antonyfrn
Maha Guru

Videocard: EVGA GTX 1070 FTW ACX3.0
Processor: 6700k 4.7Ghz EK Pred360
Mainboard: ASUS Z170 Maximus VIII
Memory: 16GB (4x4GB) Corsair DDR4
Soundcard: Asus Xonar D2X & Z-5500
PSU: Corsair RM 850i
Default 03-01-2014, 13:46 | posts: 1,220 | Location: London

Excellent little program along with the icm profiles posted in the thread helped me improve my displays colours. I had a problem setting the Samsung profile for my display other than that works fine.

Old
  (#61)
yasamoka
Ancient Guru

Default 03-01-2014, 14:19 | posts: 4,296 | Location: Lebanon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dove View Post
Could you clarify please, does this mean that Color Sustainer won't actually make fullscreen games use the calibrated colour profiles? It seems that using Fullscreen Windowed mode in certain games (e.g. ArmA3) leaves the colour profile activated, so that's a workaround although obviously not all games offer such a mode or might run slower than in fullscreen, so it would be nice if Colour Sustainer does allow me to use games fullscreen.
To answer your question fully, I thought it was about time to open the promised sister thread covering how games react to color profiles. Here it is and waiting for your feedback there.

Sister thread: Games & Color Profiles is up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonyfrn View Post
Excellent little program along with the icm profiles posted in the thread helped me improve my displays colours. I had a problem setting the Samsung profile for my display other than that works fine.
Thanks. Try the suggestion I gave to JaylumX in the previous page, should work.

Added a poll.

v1.03.2 released.

Quote:
1.03.2:

-Removing a profile association from an active monitor in Global mode while the loop is running does not set the current profile to NULL.

-Setting a color profile (or changing from such color profile to a pre-defined tint) to an inactive mode for an active monitor in Mode-specific mode will set the current profile's ramp but not name to that color profile.

-Changed title to v1.03.2 (was 1.03 for v1.03.1)
Download here.

Last edited by yasamoka; 03-01-2014 at 15:44.

color sustainer v1.03.2exe-system error
Old
  (#62)
HAZ-MAN
Member Guru

Videocard: evga sc GTX 780 ti sli
Processor: intel i7 950
Mainboard: msi big bang x power
Memory: 8 gig corsair mem 1600
Soundcard: diamond 7.1 and onkyo 5.1
PSU: 1200 silent pro gold
Default color sustainer v1.03.2exe-system error - 03-02-2014, 13:40 | posts: 74 | Location: united states west coast

I try to run this version of your program and after download first Norton says that its a threat and I have to hit run any way, then I run it and get this error program cant start because Qtore4.dll is missing from your computer. try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.

now I have version 1.03 running again had to fight Norton to get it running. my moniter isn't showing right and im running on a vizio 47 inch 3d tv via hdmi. I got my res set via nvidea control panel at 2560x1440 at 120 hz, the native is 1920 x1080 at 120 hz. sorry for ramble but just want to get update have no idea what that error is and want get proper moniter and profile to run ie the res and refresh rate. the only one showing in your program is as follows vizioo92-generic pnp moniter. and then it sows only 1920-1080 for res and then only has 1920-1080 @ 60hz for option. need help to sort all this sorry im idiot to resolving program errors, so any help to get the program running and profiles to match up for the res I want and the 120 refresh rate is app.

Old
  (#63)
yasamoka
Ancient Guru

Default 03-02-2014, 13:50 | posts: 4,296 | Location: Lebanon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAZ-MAN View Post
I try to run this version of your program and after download first Norton says that its a threat and I have to hit run any way, then I run it and get this error program cant start because Qtore4.dll is missing from your computer. try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.

now I have version 1.03 running again had to fight Norton to get it running. my moniter isn't showing right and im running on a vizio 47 inch 3d tv via hdmi. I got my res set via nvidea control panel at 2560x1440 at 120 hz, the native is 1920 x1080 at 120 hz. sorry for ramble but just want to get update have no idea what that error is and want get proper moniter and profile to run ie the res and refresh rate. the only one showing in your program is as follows vizioo92-generic pnp moniter. and then it sows only 1920-1080 for res and then only has 1920-1080 @ 60hz for option. need help to sort all this sorry im idiot to resolving program errors, so any help to get the program running and profiles to match up for the res I want and the 120 refresh rate is app.
Hey there.

The application is able to change between display modes, that's why it tends to be detected as a threat. AVG is giving me similar hassle here. Once you extract the application, add its folder to the exceptions list.

v1.03.2 requires you pop in the executable into v1.03's folder. It's still up for testing and might have bugs; indeed, I found a bug in 1.03.2 yesterday.

I'm guessing you are using downsampling on your HDTV via Nvidia CP. Have you tried adding the same custom resolution using Custom Resolution Utility? I use an AMD card and CRU is the only way currently to add custom resolutions. I use CRU to run 2560x1440 110Hz on my Qnix QX2710 listed in my signature to the left. Color Sustainer detects these resolutions easily. I'm afraid Nvidia CP might not be reporting them in the same way but I need further confirmation from other Nvidia users to know if this is the case (Koniakki I'm looking at you).

Let's solve this first then we'll see what's up with the monitor not being detected properly.

Old
  (#64)
dove
Master Guru

Default 03-02-2014, 15:10 | posts: 312 | Location: London

I'm having a problem with this in that I can't get it to detect my second monitor (Dell ST2220M) which is on the DVI port and it only shows my primary monitor (Dell U2412M) which is on the DisplayPort.

If I have my Pansonic TV (detected as MEIA296 and connected on DVI) and my Dell U2412M enabled, it does detect both of those, although after disabling the TV again, Color Sustainer still shows it, even after restarting it but maybe that's intentional.

Old
  (#65)
yasamoka
Ancient Guru

Default 03-02-2014, 15:26 | posts: 4,296 | Location: Lebanon

Ahh guys, you need to have a monitor enabled so that it's detected. This is intentional. The monitor remains after being detected once so that if you enable it again, it knows what profile to fetch and apply.

There is a reason to this: You only press Detect when you're sure you want to detect a certain monitor to assign color profiles to it. Detecting all connected monitors when you only want to associate profiles with some of them will make the Tree chaotic. I have several monitors, a projector, and, soon, a couple of TVs, so I can now simply use the same Tree, detect the displays which I have profiles for (Projector, TV, main monitor, etc...), and run Color Sustainer on all PCs and laptops. That way, I get accurate color no matter what display I plug into whatever PC or laptop.

I can make Color Sustainer detect a monitor that is merely plugged in but not enabled, however I ran into a Windows / AMD issue where a monitor that is plugged into an electrical outlet results in the following being detected:
Active display (main monitor)
Secondary monitor (inactive)

Besides certain issues that seem to sometimes crop up when a monitor is connected by not enabled.

Last edited by yasamoka; 03-02-2014 at 15:31.

Old
  (#66)
HAZ-MAN
Member Guru

Default 03-02-2014, 15:29 | posts: 74 | Location: united states west coast

Thank you sir for the info, I installed the cru and yes I am down sampling, I applied the changes as instructed set my res and refresh rate. and also I installed the hdmi pixel patch, that cru gave instructions for and applied it. I uninstalled the damn G force exp program. now im idiot at trying to find and mod files or add or edit them so ill just wait for a final exe of your program to update to latest, and I tried to find a way to get Norton to add an exclusion but cant find the name of this prgramn any whier to do it in directory so ill just keep hitting run any way when Norton blocks it at start up. I tend to ramble sorry all but now on to a different sort of problem wiil this all getting done is their a way that I can get my damn games to use the downsampled res to be run in them, IE assasins creed 1v,lotro, and Americas army proving grounds?

Old
  (#67)
yasamoka
Ancient Guru

Default 03-02-2014, 15:33 | posts: 4,296 | Location: Lebanon

Hmmm yes, if you're using CRU send the target resolution up to the top of the list (I guess). Just now I had Bioshock run at 60Hz, so I sent 110Hz to the top in CRU and all was fine.

I'm guessing the problem was solved and now both the main monitor and the downsampled resolution on the TV show up?

Old
  (#68)
dove
Master Guru

Default 03-02-2014, 15:35 | posts: 312 | Location: London

Quote:
Ahh guys, you need to have a monitor enabled so that it's detected. This is intentional. The monitor remains after being detected once so that if you enable it again, it knows what profile to fetch and apply.
Yeah, I figured the monitor should be enabled before clicking Detect so I did that and even restarted Color Sustainer but it just can't detect it for some strange reason.

Old
  (#69)
HAZ-MAN
Member Guru

Default 03-02-2014, 15:38 | posts: 74 | Location: united states west coast

yes I now have it all detected ty much sir,hope you get repayed for your work I would if I wasn't broke and trying to hide credit card form the wife lol.

good news after installing cru and the pixel patch spoke of in their in structions running cc cleaner and rebooting Norton no longer is blocking or detecting your program as a threat !

Last edited by HAZ-MAN; 03-02-2014 at 15:51.

Old
  (#70)
yasamoka
Ancient Guru

Default 03-02-2014, 15:58 | posts: 4,296 | Location: Lebanon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dove View Post
Yeah, I figured the monitor should be enabled before clicking Detect so I did that and even restarted Color Sustainer but it just can't detect it for some strange reason.
Try this out: https://www.dropbox.com/s/u3gezjodsi...stDisplays.zip
And send me the output file by PM or post it here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAZ-MAN View Post
yes I now have it all detected ty much sir,hope you get repayed for your work I would if I wasn't broke and trying to hide credit card form the wife lol.
Haha thanks and good luck with the wifey.

Quote:
good news after installing cru and the pixel patch spoke of in their in structions running cc cleaner and rebooting Norton no longer is blocking or detecting your program as a threat !
Good to know.

Old
  (#71)
dove
Master Guru

Default 03-02-2014, 16:52 | posts: 312 | Location: London

Quote:
Try this out: https://www.dropbox.com/s/u3gezjodsi...stDisplays.zip
And send me the output file by PM or post it here.
Weird. It just creates an empty output.txt file.

Old
  (#72)
yasamoka
Ancient Guru

Default 03-02-2014, 16:58 | posts: 4,296 | Location: Lebanon

EDIT: Fixing.

OK, download it again, fixed.

Last edited by yasamoka; 03-02-2014 at 17:03.

Old
  (#73)
dove
Master Guru

Default 03-02-2014, 18:43 | posts: 312 | Location: London

Quote:
EDIT: Fixing.

OK, download it again, fixed.
That's better thanks. Here you go:

Click to show spoiler

Old
  (#74)
yasamoka
Ancient Guru

Default 03-02-2014, 18:50 | posts: 4,296 | Location: Lebanon

Wow, new case. I assumed, as I've seen at my side, that only one display shows up per device. Look up there, you have two displays showing up per device.

This is interesting, let's see what to make of this...

How are your monitors connected, and which are enabled? Seems like you have more than two monitors.

EDIT: Try this out. v1.03.3

Quote:

-debug line shows up in display list

-Log shows v1.03 at application launch

-Associating a new replacement color profile for an active display mode for an active monitor while the loop is running does not change the profile.

-Needs testing: Display Device Enumeration issue: on calling EnumDisplayDevices, assumed that only one display can be detected per device, used if statement instead of while loop

Last edited by yasamoka; 03-02-2014 at 20:38.

Old
  (#75)
driedupfish
Member Guru

Videocard: AMD / Gigabyte / 3 GB
Processor: Intel i5
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: SeaSonic
Default 03-04-2014, 05:00 | posts: 57

Quote:
Hmmm, interesting ICM profile format. Afraid I didn't factor in parsing for ICC profiles that are not v4.

Just wondering, did you produce this yourself with a colorimeter? Or you got it from someone else / the internet?

Will send you a build that can parse this I guess, but I'm curious to know.
Hey Yasamoka,

I have the same problem, when I try to associate a color profile, it is red. I have PM you the color profile. I grabbed this profile from the Qnix / X-Star club thread.

Thanks