Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > General > Operating Systems
Operating Systems Is Windows 8.1 giving you a hard time ? Wanna try out Windows 10 ?

Old
  (#51)
xodius80
Master Guru

Videocard: GTX780Ti
Processor: i7 6700nk Stock
Mainboard: Asus Z170-A
Memory: ADATA 16GB DDR4
Soundcard: Essence ST@HD598
PSU: Corsair GS800
Default 05-26-2013, 22:28 | posts: 733 | Location: Ecuador

hi guys this is a very interesting read, but i have one question, if every device i have has its own IRQ do i need this? will it provide any benefit?

Old
  (#52)
mbk1969
Ancient Guru

Videocard: GeForce GTX 970
Processor: I7-4930
Mainboard: Asus p9x79
Memory: G Skill RipjawZ, 16GB
Soundcard: Onboard + FiiO E17
PSU: 1000 W
Default 05-27-2013, 01:54 | posts: 3,446 | Location: Moscow, Russia

Quote:
Originally Posted by xodius80 View Post
hi guys this is a very interesting read, but i have one question, if every device i have has its own IRQ do i need this? will it provide any benefit?
Quote:
Because communication is based across a memory value, and because the content is delivered with the interrupt, the need for IRQ lines is removed, ... as is the need for a driver ISR to query the device for data related to the interrupt, decreasing latency.
Only that.

Old
  (#53)
xodius80
Master Guru

Default 05-27-2013, 02:31 | posts: 733 | Location: Ecuador

ok understood, now another question, if i enable this on the video card,will i need to do so on the pciexpress ports?

My video card shares IRQ 16 with the x58 chipset hub and one PCIEX port. since they are sharing the same IRQ 16, my logic tells me i have to enable msi so to the 3 devices in total.

is this correct?

Old
  (#54)
tsunami231
Ancient Guru

Videocard: EVGA 660gtx sig2
Processor: i7 6700k NH-D14
Mainboard: Asrock z170 Extreme 4
Memory: Corsair LPX 2400mhz 16gb
Soundcard: Realtek HD Audio
PSU: Antec HCG 750m
Default 05-27-2013, 02:31 | posts: 7,339 | Location: USA

eh i just leave it as is much like the whole hpet thing. i dont feel like falling into another what if what may or could be situation.

Old
  (#55)
xodius80
Master Guru

Default 05-27-2013, 02:43 | posts: 733 | Location: Ecuador

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunami231 View Post
eh i just leave it as is much like the whole hpet thing. i dont feel like falling into another what if what may or could be situation.
it has a nice and logical explanation, its dependencies are chipset, device and driver, wich makes a lot of sense, trying out something new never hurts, espcially if you get free performance and stability out of it.

Now in the other hand, if your system provides the speed you crave, then just dont follow the guide. =)

Im gonna test it myself, but since the data is here, and these great guys have been tweaking with the settings longer than me, then it doenst hurt to ask them so i can take out some problems out of the equation.

Forums are just for that, sharing knowledge and saving time.

Old
  (#56)
Corrupt^
Ancient Guru

Videocard: ASUS 1080GTX STRIX
Processor: Core i7 5820K
Mainboard: ASUS X99-A/USB 3.1
Memory: Kingston HypX 16GB 3Ghz
Soundcard: Essence STXII Senn. HD650
PSU: Super Flower 1200W
Default 05-27-2013, 03:11 | posts: 6,562 | Location: Belgium

Quote:
Now in the other hand, if your system provides the speed you crave, then just dont follow the guide. =)
I always crave more :p

Anyways I'm going to give this ago when I have more time. Doesn't seem hard to do, but seems a bit of a pain in the ass ... when it doesn't work and gives you a BSOD.

My 470 GTX isn't running in MSI for starters...

Old
  (#57)
xodius80
Master Guru

Default 05-27-2013, 05:13 | posts: 733 | Location: Ecuador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrupt^ View Post
I always crave more :p

Anyways I'm going to give this ago when I have more time. Doesn't seem hard to do, but seems a bit of a pain in the ass ... when it doesn't work and gives you a BSOD.

My 470 GTX isn't running in MSI for starters...
mine doenst too, BUT i have 2 more devices the x58 i/o Hub PCI EXPRESS ROOT PORT 3
and the ich10 family pci express root port 1.

those are the ones idk to mod them to MSI or not, please share your experience.

Old
  (#58)
mbk1969
Ancient Guru

Default 05-27-2013, 14:59 | posts: 3,446 | Location: Moscow, Russia

Quote:
ok understood, now another question, if i enable this on the video card,will i need to do so on the pciexpress ports?

My video card shares IRQ 16 with the x58 chipset hub and one PCIEX port. since they are sharing the same IRQ 16, my logic tells me i have to enable msi so to the 3 devices in total.

is this correct?
I have switched PCI-X root ports to MSI-mode. To give you smart answer I don`t have info niether on relationship between PCI Express root ports and connected devices nor on root ports themselvs.

Old
  (#59)
Corrupt^
Ancient Guru

Default 05-27-2013, 17:45 | posts: 6,562 | Location: Belgium

Successfully changed my 470 GTX to MSI-mode. For some odd reason I booted a few seconds quicker could've just been an isolated fluke.

Old
  (#60)
mbk1969
Ancient Guru

Default 05-27-2013, 18:43 | posts: 3,446 | Location: Moscow, Russia

Quote:
Successfully changed my 470 GTX to MSI-mode. For some odd reason I booted a few seconds quicker could've just been an isolated fluke.
Be aware that (NVidia) driver installer can revert device to line-mode. It did on my rig when I`ve installed 320.18.

Old
  (#61)
Corrupt^
Ancient Guru

Default 05-27-2013, 19:22 | posts: 6,562 | Location: Belgium

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbk1969 View Post
Be aware that (NVidia) driver installer can revert device to line-mode. It did on my rig when I`ve installed 320.18.
Then I'll just put it back. I don't upgrade drivers that regularly anyways, only if a game has horrible performance (and nvidia fixes it) or if a new tweaking feature is added.

Either way it works, system seems a bit snappier in general, loading pages in browsers, etc. Still need to test it in games.

Have to admit though, when running dpc latency checks or latencymonitor, the nvidia driver was one of the ones reporting the highest latencies, together with the audio and network drivers.

Network drivers seem alot better in Windows 8 compared to 7 though, it's almost as if alot of tweaks from Von Dach's thread have been applied by default in Windows 8.

Running wireshark on an idle system, on W7 there's also alot more going on on the NIC in the background compared to W8.

EDIT: Scrap "a bit snappier", I knew nvidia drivers were getting a bit laggier and bloated lately compared to like 2 or 3 years ago, but damn every visual change on my screen just pops up so smooth now.

Last edited by Corrupt^; 05-27-2013 at 19:34.

Old
  (#62)
mbk1969
Ancient Guru

Default 05-27-2013, 22:52 | posts: 3,446 | Location: Moscow, Russia

Quote:
Have to admit though, when running dpc latency checks or latencymonitor, the nvidia driver was one of the ones reporting the highest latencies, together with the audio and network drivers.
By highest latencies of nvidia, audio and network drivers you mean highest DPC routine execution time, right? I think, DPC execution time doesn`t depend on device IRQ mode, because DPC routine does actual work of driver, which is the same all the time - to service video, audio and network requests.

Highest ISR routine execution time can depend on device IRQ mode, being the routine that handles interrupt request...

Last edited by mbk1969; 05-27-2013 at 22:55.

Old
  (#63)
tsunami231
Ancient Guru

Default 05-27-2013, 23:26 | posts: 7,339 | Location: USA

switch my 660gtx to msi mode cant see we see if make any diffrence

Should pci e roots be changed to msi if gpu is in msi?

Last edited by tsunami231; 05-27-2013 at 23:34.

Old
  (#64)
mbk1969
Ancient Guru

Default 05-28-2013, 00:02 | posts: 3,446 | Location: Moscow, Russia

Quote:
switch my 660gtx to msi mode cant see we see if make any diffrence

Should pci e roots be changed to msi if gpu is in msi?
At the home rig (Intel chipset) I switched manually pci-e ports along with the other devices. At work rig (AMD chipset) pci-e ports were switched automatically after I switched connected to them devices. At home rig I don`t see any performance diffs, but at work rig the diffs are huge. Try to switch pci-e ports too, but if you have powerful rig you most probably won`t see big improvements.

Old
  (#65)
Corrupt^
Ancient Guru

Default 05-28-2013, 00:10 | posts: 6,562 | Location: Belgium

Quote:
By highest latencies of nvidia, audio and network drivers you mean highest DPC routine execution time, right? I think, DPC execution time doesn`t depend on device IRQ mode, because DPC routine does actual work of driver, which is the same all the time - to service video, audio and network requests.

Highest ISR routine execution time can depend on device IRQ mode, being the routine that handles interrupt request...
Never checked for those, guess they might've been pretty high as well. Overal anything visual related just feels smoother.

Old
  (#66)
tsunami231
Ancient Guru

Default 05-28-2013, 00:44 | posts: 7,339 | Location: USA

Quote:
Never checked for those, guess they might've been pretty high as well. Overal anything visual related just feels smoother.
did you do pci express ports too? im all for smoother visuals right now I just have Nic,Sata,gpu in msi mode. trying to decided if I should put my onboard soundcard and pci e in that mode too.

Old
  (#67)
mbk1969
Ancient Guru

Default 05-28-2013, 00:59 | posts: 3,446 | Location: Moscow, Russia

Quote:
I asked only because LatencyMon v5 doesn`t show latencies of drivers. It shows DPC routine execution times at the "Drivers" tab (along with the ISR amd DPC count). And it shows highest ISR execution time (along with the name of driver with highest ISR routine execution time) at the "Stats" tab.

Old
  (#68)
tsunami231
Ancient Guru

Default 05-29-2013, 17:54 | posts: 7,339 | Location: USA

Quote:
I asked only because LatencyMon v5 doesn`t show latencies of drivers. It shows DPC routine execution times at the "Drivers" tab (along with the ISR amd DPC count). And it shows highest ISR execution time (along with the name of driver with highest ISR routine execution time) at the "Stats" tab.
its does show the latency of drivers per say just not the drivers as a whole. it show the individual files within the said drivers. That being said.

I Stop looking at latencymon 5 or hell all of them, as any time i seen anything over 500us i get the urge to start messing around with stuff. And I dont see it as worth it anymore. Unless you getting massive studdering in games or poping/click audio dropping its not worth it to mess with hpet or settings that may mess with latency.

As for the MSI stuff I only changed my gpu in to this mode and i cant say I see a diffrence, but then I only really play mmo (Swtor Ro2)these days and there not the best game to judge performance on last time I play Deus Ex Human Revolution the game ran 60fps smooth as butter.

Though the following comes to mind. IF MSI mode is support and a better way of running things why are things not running in the mode by default if its supported?

Sata and Nic were only thing running in those modes which leads me to believe its the drivers that have to set those modes. Which would mean intel RST Drivers and Realtek nic drivers set those modes by default? Mean while Nvidia drivers and Intel Chipset Drivers do not?

I mean I get everything should have it own IRQ and not share em and for most part few few things share irq and there are no conflicts. between peices that do share

Though I would be curious to see if there is any real world benefits that can be documented

Last edited by tsunami231; 05-29-2013 at 18:03.

Old
  (#69)
mbk1969
Ancient Guru

Default 05-29-2013, 18:31 | posts: 3,446 | Location: Moscow, Russia

Quote:
its does show the latency of drivers per say just not the drivers as a whole. it show the individual files within the said drivers. That being said.
DPC execution time adds to the latencies of processes execution, yes. But DPC execution time doesn`t depend on the interrupt mode of device and its driver, because: device`s interrupt occures -> device`s driver`s ISR routine executes and schedules DPC -> device`s driver`s DPC routine executes and does the needed operation. I wrote to Corrupt^ namely in this context - latencies dictated by current interrupt mode (line- of message-).

Quote:
Though the following comes to mind. IF MSI mode is support and a better way of running things why are things not running in the mode by default if its supported?

Sata and Nic were only thing running in those modes which leads me to believe its the drivers that have to set those modes. Which would mean intel RST Drivers and Realtek nic drivers set those modes by default? Mean while Nvidia drivers and Intel Chipset Drivers do not?
If I was a driver developer I would give you a smart answer to that question. But as a common developer I can say, that it is one of developement rule: do not touch well working code. I can assume that driver developers has no enough desire/motivation to implement new features or choose new MSI-mode as the default one.

Edit: Also switching to MSI-mode may be one avaliable workaround in case IRQ is shared. I don`t know if it is possible in modern Windows` to change IRQ setting manually as it was in old days. All controls are there - in drivers properties dialog - but they are disabled.

Last edited by mbk1969; 05-29-2013 at 18:39.

Old
  (#70)
xodius80
Master Guru

Default 05-30-2013, 03:32 | posts: 733 | Location: Ecuador

Quote:

I Stop looking at latencymon 5 or hell all of them, as any time i seen anything over 500us i get the urge to start messing around with stuff. And I dont see it as worth it anymore. Unless you getting massive studdering in games or poping/click audio dropping its not worth it to mess with hpet or settings that may mess with latency.

As for the MSI stuff I only changed my gpu in to this mode and i cant say I see a diffrence, but then I only really play mmo (Swtor Ro2)these days and there not the best game to judge performance on last time I play Deus Ex Human Revolution the game ran 60fps smooth as butter.

I mean I get everything should have it own IRQ and not share em and for most part few few things share irq and there are no conflicts. between peices that do share

Though I would be curious to see if there is any real world benefits that can be documented

hi, ive noticed something, my sata is auto configured to msi BUT i checked in the registry and found out that the DWORD value wasent enabled.

did you manualy enabled yours?

Old
  (#71)
tsunami231
Ancient Guru

Default 05-30-2013, 05:02 | posts: 7,339 | Location: USA

no mine was already enabled my guess it was enabled with I install Intel RST, that or it always was cause I only enabled it for my gpu, I gona leave the rest as is

Old
  (#72)
Corrupt^
Ancient Guru

Default 06-01-2013, 17:22 | posts: 6,562 | Location: Belgium

Tried to switch my ASUS soundcard, it didn't work yet, it reverted back to line based immediately.

For AHCI or RAID controllers, it was set to line based but installing the newer Intel RST drivers turned it to MSI.

Last edited by Corrupt^; 06-01-2013 at 17:37.

Old
  (#73)
tsunami231
Ancient Guru

Default 06-04-2013, 00:34 | posts: 7,339 | Location: USA

Quote:
Tried to switch my ASUS soundcard, it didn't work yet, it reverted back to line based immediately.

For AHCI or RAID controllers, it was set to line based but installing the newer Intel RST drivers turned it to MSI.
well that comferms my though suspicion that its the drivers that put it in that mode.

Old
  (#74)
AudigyMaster

Videocard: nVidia Quadro 3700M@1GB
Processor: C2D T7700 2.8Ghz@1.113V
Mainboard: Clevo M571RU board rev.2
Memory: DDR2@667 cas4 Micron D9
Soundcard: E-MU 0204
PSU: notebook 200W
Default 07-14-2013, 16:26 | posts: 25 | Location: Belgium

Looks like my posts evaporated with no prior notice.

Well...

Old
  (#75)
mbk1969
Ancient Guru

Default 07-14-2013, 23:15 | posts: 3,446 | Location: Moscow, Russia

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudigyMaster View Post
Looks like my posts evaporated with no prior notice.

Well...
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=379498

Tags
dpc, irq, latencies, windows