Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > Affiliates > Rivatuner Generic Discussion forum
Rivatuner Generic Discussion forum This forum is intended for generic questions and discussion of the RivaTuner Utility. In this section the users help each other out with answers.

Old
  (#26)
tmsjava

Videocard: ATI/Radeon HD 4850/512
Processor: Intel core 2 duo
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: PSU
Default 05-18-2009, 01:12 | posts: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangowner View Post
So you are stuck on #2 in the instructions, and receiving the error that says "Failed to connect to RivaTuner......"?

In the RivaTuner window on the "Main" tab, click the "Customize" button in the "Target Adapter" section. This will create a flyout with several options. Click the icon of a chip with a magnifying box on it. This opens the hardware monitoring. Then make sure you also follow #4 to enable monitoring in the background.

I don't have any step by step instructions more detailed then what is in the gadget yet. I am working on a video based RT guide which includes details on the gadget, keyboard, OSD, profiles, launcher, OCing, etc. It is only half baked right now, but I could get you a clip on the gadget portion if you really need it. Send me a PM if so.

- Nick
Ok, see that's the problem.....under customize, I don't have a box with a magnifying glass!! Only have 3 options: low level refresh rate, low level desktop color scheme, and graphics report. I have version 2.24. Hmmm.....Maybe I don't have the correct version?

T.

Old
  (#27)
stangowner
Master Guru

Videocard: 2xMSI N550GTX-Ti Cy II OC
Processor: Intel Core i7-3960X
Mainboard: MSI X79A-GD45
Memory: 16GB Corsair Vengence
Soundcard: X-Fi Plat Fatal1ty Champ
PSU: Antec 850w
Default 05-18-2009, 10:24 | posts: 586 | Location: MA

And in the combo box for the target adapter, it says "ATI Radeon HD 4800 series..."? What make/model card is it exactly?

My wife also runs a 4850 (the 1 GB version) and RivaTuner shows the button and has no issues polling the hardware.

Error
Old
  (#28)
tmsjava

Videocard: ATI/Radeon HD 4850/512
Processor: Intel core 2 duo
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: PSU
Default Error - 05-18-2009, 12:31 | posts: 3

It's a Radeon HD 4850 with 512 MB. In the Target Adapter box, it says "ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4850/Generic PnP Monitor".

T.

Old
  (#29)
Unwinder

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 05-18-2009, 14:49 | posts: 12,997 | Location: Taganrog, Russia

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmsjava View Post
It's a Radeon HD 4850 with 512 MB. In the Target Adapter box, it says "ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4850/Generic PnP Monitor".

T.
Then the answer into RivaTuner's readme in <System requirements> section.

Alexey Nicolaychuk aka Unwinder, RivaTuner creator

Beta Testing??
Old
  (#30)
leper

Videocard: ATI Radeon 4870 1GB GDDR5
Processor: 2.2Ghz Intel Dual Core
Mainboard: Dell 530??? for real!!
Memory: 4GB 240-Pin DDR-2 800MHz
Soundcard: Realtek HD BostonAcoustic
PSU: 500w Silencer P/S
Default Beta Testing?? - 05-22-2009, 01:27 | posts: 1 | Location: Norton, Taxachusetts

Nick,

Wassup bro? Do you have a patch I can try? Lets do some more beta testing on the new release/patch! if there is there a new release/patch I should say? I am game whenever you are ready. No pun intended!!! LOL

BTW....I helped Nick with the beta testing of this gadget from the day that I got my new comp and video card (we go way back since we were kids growing up). I said it would be sweet if there was a sidebar gadget for video cards. Nick was like "Ahh, I programmed one." I was like get out of here I want to check it out. Anyways, Long story short I helped push him to release the first beta v1.0 and I was a beta tester from there on and I used it from the end user (dummy aspect seriously!!!) and he helped me out alot to get it working and I helped him fix some issues or basically notice the ones he already knew about. I hope I gave him some valuable information...lol...More like feedback.

Great work on this Nick. I know you work many hours a week at your job and countless hours on this at night. I give you many props and proud of what you have accomplished on this gadget since long before December 2008 when I found out about this GPU monitor you programmed.

I guess this is how you get paid back. With great positive feedback. Kinda like eBay!!!

Thanks,
Leper aka Chris

Last edited by leper; 05-22-2009 at 05:42.

Old
  (#31)
stangowner
Master Guru

Default 05-22-2009, 03:37 | posts: 586 | Location: MA

Wsup kid,

You and Evilmeat are the only 2 who have even mentioned the freeze issue I posted about earlier in this thread. And no one has mentioned the reorder issue at all.

I gave Evilmeat a patch to test a few weeks ago, as it was happening so often. It did seem to fix his freezing issue, but I managed to introduce another bug that I need to iron out. Once I do that, I'll have a beta for you guys to hammer.

But because these issues are so isolated, I decided not to rush the 2.1 version like I did 1.1, and instead incorporate some other improvements. So I've added some other stuff in addition to the 2 points I mentioned earlier.

There are a few more display options, including a graph like the one in Rivatuner. So now you will be able to do something like this if you want. I just need to polish it a bit more.

Been working on a few other projects as well. And my wife's alts are starting to outlevel my mains! Can't let that happen!

I'll have something for you soon.

- Nick

Old
  (#32)
rellikzephyr

Videocard: HIS 4890 1G OC 900/4000
Processor: Intel Core2 Quad Q9550 OC
Mainboard: Asus P5K
Memory: 4GB Geil PC6400 DDR2
Soundcard: Bose Companion 5
PSU: Thermaltake TruePower850W
Default 06-14-2009, 07:11 | posts: 1 | Location: Australia

hey stangowner

i also have the stops updating problem

and it happens very regularly, i mean very

closing and reopen gadget works for me tho little annoying

just thought i would let u know another occurrence of it

side note, i have 4890 and am using cfg file fix in rivatuner

Thanks

Excellent gadget by the way just excellent good work

RellikZephyr

Old
  (#33)
stangowner
Master Guru

Default 06-14-2009, 19:38 | posts: 586 | Location: MA

Hi RellikZephyr,

I should have the 2.1 RC ready later tonight which includes that fix. PM me an email address and I'll send you some instructions for updating. Or you can just wait for the 2.1 release which should be along shortly now.

- Nick

Old
  (#34)
stangowner
Master Guru

Default 07-22-2009, 11:08 | posts: 586 | Location: MA

GPU Monitor gadget version 2.1 is now available. This update includes the following:

- 8 new display styles including graphs (18 in total now)
- multiple gadget support
- a new hardware acceleration bar for displaying the state of DD/D3D8/D3D9/D3D10/OGL
- added a few more monitor icons, and all monitor icons are now selectabe for the title icon
- fixed reorder and refresh freeze bugs

You can download the new version here.

- Nick

Old
  (#35)
Ginger Fish

Videocard: XFX GeForce 9800GTX
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
Mainboard: ASUS P5E
Memory: 2x2Gb DDR2 Kingston
Soundcard: Supreme FX-2 on AD1988B
PSU: HYPER TypeR II 680W
Default 07-22-2009, 13:49 | posts: 3 | Location: Rostov-on-Don, Russia

I have problem using GPU Monitor 2.1 gadget. After installation it doesn't work. In gadget settings this message: "Display adapter preferences not found". RivaTuner 2.24 installed, hardware monitoring enabled, using driver 186.18 in driver emulation mode. Configuration info in my profile. Using Windows 7 x64 edition. What's wrong? Beforehand thanks!

Last edited by Ginger Fish; 07-22-2009 at 13:55.

Old
  (#36)
stangowner
Master Guru

Default 07-22-2009, 14:14 | posts: 586 | Location: MA

Can you please tell me what files exist in the "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\GPUMonitor" directory?

Also, please close and reopen the gadget. Tell me what error(s) display in the gadget itself, before trying to access the preferences.

Did you ever run a previous version of the gadget? Or is this a new install?

Old
  (#37)
Ginger Fish

Default 07-22-2009, 14:44 | posts: 3 | Location: Rostov-on-Don, Russia

Quote:
Can you please tell me what files exist in the "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\GPUMonitor" directory?

Also, please close and reopen the gadget. Tell me what error(s) display in the gadget itself, before trying to access the preferences.

Did you ever run a previous version of the gadget? Or is this a new install?
Sure. In the C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\GPUMonitor directory exist 2 files: prefMonitors_0.json and prefWindow_0.json. Gadget itself displays no errors. In gadget window this message: "Loading... Please see gadget settings for installation and configuration information". I didn't ever run previous version of this gadget. This is new install.

Last edited by Ginger Fish; 07-22-2009 at 14:52.

Old
  (#38)
stangowner
Master Guru

Default 07-22-2009, 15:23 | posts: 586 | Location: MA

You have a file missing in that directory. There were no code changes in this area of the gadget from 2.0 to 2.1, so you would experience the same error even if you tried to run 2.0.

The issue is the code that queries WMI to get information about the installed display adapters for the machine is failing. So something is wrong with the WMI on that PC. Normally, I would ask you to run the WMI Diagnostics Utility and fix the errors that are reported. This should resolve the issue with the gadget. However, I do not believe that M$ has updated that utility for Windows 7 and running the existing version does not work (I can confirm tonight, but I do not have access to a Win7 machine ATM - maybe they added a PowerShell diagnistic script in the windir\diagnostics directory, I'm not sure).

For now, can you download and install the WMITools. These do work on Win7. Open the WMI Object Browser (must use IE) and see if you can get to the following object:
root\CIMV2
Win32_ComputerSystem.Name="<computername>"
Win32_SystemDevices.PartComponent
Win32_VideoController.DeviceID="VideoController1"

Perhaps it will throw an error which we can try to resolve.

So try that and let me know how you make out. And I'll let you know what I find tonight on my Win7 PC. Worst case, I can fabricate a file for you that will allow you to use the gadget, and just bypass the WMI stuff.

- Nick

Old
  (#39)
burebista
Maha Guru

Videocard: MSI GTX 1060 GAMING X 6GB
Processor: i5-2500K Ninja 3 fanless
Mainboard: ASRock P67 Extreme4
Memory: Corsair 4GB DDR3 1600MHz
Soundcard: Xonar D1
PSU: Antec Signature 650
Default 07-22-2009, 15:46 | posts: 1,696 | Location: Romania

Works OK here. Thanks a lot stangowner.

One question though. It's possible to modify upper/lower limits for graphs? I'll never ever have 5000 RPM on my fans.
For example in RivaTuner Hardware monitoring all are set to upper limit at 1500 RPM.

Old
  (#40)
stangowner
Master Guru

Default 07-22-2009, 15:49 | posts: 586 | Location: MA

Sure, they are using the Min and Max limits on the advanced tab of the gadget options (they are not using what is in RivaTuner). You can also change the colors and color change intervals as well.

Old
  (#41)
burebista
Maha Guru

Default 07-22-2009, 16:22 | posts: 1,696 | Location: Romania

Of course. I'm dumb. Just ignore me.

Old
  (#42)
Ginger Fish

Default 07-22-2009, 16:29 | posts: 3 | Location: Rostov-on-Don, Russia

Quote:
You have a file missing in that directory. There were no code changes in this area of the gadget from 2.0 to 2.1, so you would experience the same error even if you tried to run 2.0.

The issue is the code that queries WMI to get information about the installed display adapters for the machine is failing. So something is wrong with the WMI on that PC. Normally, I would ask you to run the WMI Diagnostics Utility and fix the errors that are reported. This should resolve the issue with the gadget. However, I do not believe that M$ has updated that utility for Windows 7 and running the existing version does not work (I can confirm tonight, but I do not have access to a Win7 machine ATM - maybe they added a PowerShell diagnistic script in the windir\diagnostics directory, I'm not sure).

For now, can you download and install the WMITools. These do work on Win7. Open the WMI Object Browser (must use IE) and see if you can get to the following object:
root\CIMV2
Win32_ComputerSystem.Name="<computername>"
Win32_SystemDevices.PartComponent
Win32_VideoController.DeviceID="VideoController1"

Perhaps it will throw an error which we can try to resolve.

So try that and let me know how you make out. And I'll let you know what I find tonight on my Win7 PC. Worst case, I can fabricate a file for you that will allow you to use the gadget, and just bypass the WMI stuff.

- Nick
I get it! WMI service disabled on my PC, because it cause problems with steam games on Windows 7. I have enable this service, and in directory C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\GPUMonitor appear a new file - adapters.json. Then I just turn off WMI service again, and thats all This is a simple solution to solve this problem. Thank you for help and support, Nick!

Old
  (#43)
stangowner
Master Guru

Default 07-22-2009, 16:37 | posts: 586 | Location: MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Fish View Post
...Then I just turn off WMI service again...
The gadget queries the adapter once when it starts. It saves these settings to adapters.json so the flyout and the settings do not have to query WMI again. So if you disable the service, this will fail everytime the gadget is opened. It should not stop the gadget from running (the error is trapped and handled in the gadget), so as long as the file exists it will be fine. However, if you ever have a hardware change, you'll have to re-enable WMI again so these settings can update.

Old
  (#44)
burebista
Maha Guru

Default 07-22-2009, 20:03 | posts: 1,696 | Location: Romania

Oh man, I didn't know that I can see a Min/max/current values in a separate window.
I'm getting old...

Awesome gadget. Again, a BIG thank you.

Old
  (#45)
stangowner
Master Guru

Default 07-22-2009, 20:49 | posts: 586 | Location: MA

Sorry to break it to you, but this was in 2.0 so you could have been using it for 3 months now.

BTW - you can click the nvidia icon at the top of the gadget to reset the min & max values to the current without having to restart the gadget. And if you click the gadget to give it focus, you can see the min/current/max values for the monitor you are hovering over without having to open the flyout.

One more point - the graphs take a bit more cpu then the text/bar display styles. Not a big deal for today's hardware.....but I'm sure you are going to see pretty high CPU time for sidebar.exe with that many graphs running.

Holy crap, you have a lot of stuff displaying in your OSD. How can you still see your games?

- Nick

Old
  (#46)
burebista
Maha Guru

Default 07-23-2009, 05:48 | posts: 1,696 | Location: Romania

All you said about gadget I've discovered myself yesterday.
I'm not a gamer, just from time to time and OSD is on only at first game launch to see some numbers.
But I guess I'm a hardware monitoring graphs freak.

LE: BTW, you should receive an email from Kevin (unclewebb) and maybe a nice collaboration could begin.

Last edited by burebista; 07-23-2009 at 08:45.

Old
  (#47)
stangowner
Master Guru

Default 07-23-2009, 11:06 | posts: 586 | Location: MA

I got the email from Kevin, thanks

For everyone else, please take a minute to read the instructions tab in the gadget config. Some of these things are explained there.

Also, there is a video demonstrating all the functionality of the gadget at http://rivatuner.doomdealer.com/ under Hardware Monitor->Sidebar Gadget. Its a little long (30 minutes), but may demonstrate some of the features which you are not familiar with or give you ideas on how to use it. It might also be good if you just want to see what it can do before you decide to install it.

Feel free to drop a line here if any of you have questions, suggestions or problems with the gadget.

- Nick

Old
  (#48)
Eletro.nic

Videocard: ATI HD 4870 512mb HIS
Processor: AMD Phenom 9950 BE
Mainboard: ASUS M3A78-EM
Memory: OCZ Reaper 1066 5-5-5 4GB
Soundcard:
PSU: HuntKey 450
Default 08-10-2009, 18:18 | posts: 1 | Location: Brazil

Sorry poor english.

Greetings from Brazil.

Tnks, and congratulations for the great work.
I love the GPU Monitor gadget.

Before I used the gadget of Everest, so I know the GPU Monitor and could not stop using

Im using with Everest plugin.
I like to have control of my system on my screen and in real time.

My GPU Monitor.

A few hours to do this

Only the Memory Speed, Memory Timings, DRAM:FSB, UpTime, etc. I cant make work, anyone know how? Work with Everest and HwMonitor Gadget. I know these results are diferents, no min-max, i try a few ways, but not work.

One more time, tnks and congratulations for the great work.

Last edited by Eletro.nic; 08-10-2009 at 18:36.

Old
  (#49)
stangowner
Master Guru

Default 08-10-2009, 20:33 | posts: 586 | Location: MA

Thanks, I'm glad you like it.

Not sure how much help I can be, as I do not run Everest. But I'll try.

Can you zip and send me these 3 things to the email address listed in the gadget?

1 - record 20 seconds or so in the RivaTuner Hardware Monitor and send me a copy of the .hml file
2 - a copy of your "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp\GPUMonitor .log" file
3 - a copy of your "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\GPUMonitor" folder

Quote:
A few hours to do this
Make sure you backup your gadget settings, just in case The instructions tab will tell you how.

Old
  (#50)
Darkje
Member Guru

Videocard: Asus GTX660ti DCII
Processor: I5-2500K @ 4600MHz.
Mainboard: Asus Maximus V Gene
Memory: 4x4G Samsung @ 2133
Soundcard: CreativeDesktopTheater
PSU: Seasonic M12D-850W
Default 08-19-2009, 00:12 | posts: 142 | Location: NL

Quote:
Thanks, I'm glad you like it.
Not sure how much help I can be, as I do not run Everest. But I'll try.
he must have used everests sensors and enabled everest shared memory, then in rivatuner enabled the everest plugin (and modified the plugin's config in the rt/plugins folder to match every sensor name everest outputs...

in that case the problem is not your gadget, but in the fact that rivatuner does not handle string values frem everest well... it expects and displays in it's graphs a single number, forex with date only the first number...

I made this screen

click

showing the sidebar I get when I enable all everest +realtemp sensors plus partial rivatuner + everest.cfg

nice gadget...