Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > Hardware > Computer Monitor Forum
Computer Monitor Forum IPS Panels, Brands, Ultra HD, G-Sync, 144Hz, FreeSync it all is monitor related. This is the place where you can discuss all monitor related matters. Find help and information about high resolutions and refresh rates, VGA ti Display port connectors.

Old
  (#26)
Darren Hodgson
Ancient Guru

Videocard: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K
Mainboard: ASUS Z87 Deluxe v2103
Memory: 16GB Corsair Veng 1600MHz
Soundcard: Creative Sound Blaster Z
PSU: XFX PRO Black Ed. 850W
Default 06-05-2017, 01:09 | posts: 14,883 | Location: England

Oh and for anyone interested in buying this monitor and put off by the reports of bad quality control, particularly in regards to backlight bleed, then I can confirm that my display appears to be fine and if there is any then it is minimal at the 50% brightness setting I am using. I tested out a large number of games in a dark room at night with the lights out and there were plenty of black screens during loading, etc. However, the only thing I saw was slight IPS glow in the four corners which changed as I shifted viewpoint (so it definitely isn't backlight bleed otherwise that would remain consistent no matter what angle you view it at). The panel was manufactured in August 2016 surprisingly; I was expecting it to be newer to be honest.

P.S. I guess mine had some bad QA as the UK cloverleaf plug was missing from the box!

Old
  (#27)
RealNC
Maha Guru

Videocard: EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
Processor: Intel Core i5 2500K
Mainboard: MSI P67A-C43
Memory: DDR3 16GB
Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, JBL Spot
PSU: Corsair HX650
Default 06-05-2017, 01:09 | posts: 989

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Hodgson View Post
The monitor has a Turbo button on the side that switches instantly between 60, 120 and 144/165 Hz. I guess this is a quick and convenient why to cap framerates in games?
No. That's the refresh rate. The frame rate the game renders at is completely independent of it.

To cap your frame rate, you need to cap your frame rate :-P

I don't want to spam the same links over and over again on this forum. If you're interested in more information, you should check them out.

Old
  (#28)
Darren Hodgson
Ancient Guru

Default 06-05-2017, 01:13 | posts: 14,883 | Location: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealNC View Post
No. That's the refresh rate. The frame rate the game renders at is completely independent of it.

To cap your frame rate, you need to cap your frame rate :-P

I don't want to spam the same links over and over again on this forum. If you're interested in more information, you should check them out.
Sorry about that.

Surely if you force v-sync globally in the NVIDIA profile then the framerate will be capped at the refresh rate you set using the Turbo button? No? Isn't that how v-sync works or are you saying that G-SYNC overrides v-sync until it exceeds the maximum refresh rate of this display, i.e. 144 or 165 Hz?

/goes off to read links

Old
  (#29)
RealNC
Maha Guru

Default 06-05-2017, 01:19 | posts: 989

Quote:
Sorry about that.

Surely if you force v-sync globally in the NVIDIA profile then the framerate will be capped at the refresh rate you set using the Turbo button? No? Isn't that how v-sync works or are you saying that G-SYNC overrides v-sync until it exceeds the maximum refresh rate of this display, i.e. 144 or 165 Hz?

/goes off to read links
The whole point is that you don't want to use vsync, because it adds input lag. You need to cap your frame rate to avoid using vsync.

However, if vsync input lag is OK with you (165Hz vsync has much less input lag compared to 60Hz vsync), then everything is fine. You can leave things as-is and not use a frame rate cap. G-Sync will be disabled once you exceed 163FPS, and you'll be using vsync. This happens automatically. You ONLY need to cap your frame rate if you want to make sure g-sync is used at all times.

Last edited by RealNC; 06-05-2017 at 01:22.

Old
  (#30)
archie123
Maha Guru

Videocard: Aorus 1080ti Extreme
Processor: I7-5930k @ 4.4
Mainboard: Asus X99-S
Memory: 16GB Hyper X Fury
Soundcard: Onboard
PSU: Corsair 850w RM Series
Default 06-05-2017, 01:40 | posts: 2,359 | Location: UK

Edit .... Seems I repeating what's already been said

Old
  (#31)
archie123
Maha Guru

Default 06-05-2017, 01:45 | posts: 2,359 | Location: UK

Quote:
Oh and for anyone interested in buying this monitor and put off by the reports of bad quality control, particularly in regards to backlight bleed, then I can confirm that my display appears to be fine and if there is any then it is minimal at the 50% brightness setting I am using. I tested out a large number of games in a dark room at night with the lights out and there were plenty of black screens during loading, etc. However, the only thing I saw was slight IPS glow in the four corners which changed as I shifted viewpoint (so it definitely isn't backlight bleed otherwise that would remain consistent no matter what angle you view it at). The panel was manufactured in August 2016 surprisingly; I was expecting it to be newer to be honest.

P.S. I guess mine had some bad QA as the UK cloverleaf plug was missing from the box!
I had no issues with mine either it was perfect but I think in the early days there were alot of issues with them and those YouTube videos are still doing the rounds . I did have issues with a previous one though pg278q and found Asus to be a bit poor on the customer service side

Old
  (#32)
Darren Hodgson
Ancient Guru

Default 06-05-2017, 08:01 | posts: 14,883 | Location: England

Again thank you for the replies.

I have decided to leave v-sync OFF globally and just cap any games that go above the max. refresh rate of 165 Hz, whether in-game or in the menus, e.g. I set 160 fps for FIFA 17 and Mafia III. I haven't tested yet but I would guess that would fix any tearing issues in the both (even if I never noticed any in FIFA). In-game I will leave v-sync OFF.

I must say that G-SYNC really is revolutionary IMO. I loaded up The Witcher 3 yesterday, a game that I played COMPLETELY maxed out at 2560x1440 with all the Hairworks settings too, including 8xMSAA. On a GTX 1080 Ti that's pretty much a locked 60 fps.

Well I decided to ramp up the resolution to 3840x2160 with the same settings and while the game dipped down to the low 50s fps during the quest I was playing it felt 100% smooth as if it was running at a locked 60 fps still. This quest I was doing involved fighting loads of enemy soldiers and toward the end I was joined by two vampires; the game never stuttered or felt laggy. Really impressive stuff considering Hairworks was on. Even the cutscenes with close ups of Geralt, which usually caused the framerate to plummet to the low 30s fps on my previous GTX 1080 FTW, held solid here and remained smooth throughout even when they dropped to the low 40s fps at one point. The experience would not have been this enjoyable on a 60 Hz display due to either screen tearing or stuttering.

I also tested GTA V, again with everything maxed, including the Advanced Options (Resolution scaling left alone though) and FXAA/4xMSAA/TXAA plus Ultra grass at 2560x1440 and the game again felt like it was running at 60 fps even while driving through areas with lots of foliage (where the framerate can drop to the low 40s fps).

Really love G-SYNC.

Old
  (#33)
RealNC
Maha Guru

Default 06-05-2017, 12:35 | posts: 989

Quote:
I have decided to leave v-sync OFF globally and just cap any games that go above the max.
There's no reason to disable v-sync in the nvidia panel. It's beneficial to have it enabled. It only has positives and no negatives.

Old
  (#34)
Darren Hodgson
Ancient Guru

Default 06-05-2017, 19:27 | posts: 14,883 | Location: England

Quote:
There's no reason to disable v-sync in the nvidia panel. It's beneficial to have it enabled. It only has positives and no negatives.
Well the recommended setting for v-sync in the global profile is 3D application controlled so that is what I left it at (it's not set to Off, sorry for the confusion). If I force it on then any in-game benchmarks I run are going to be capped at 165 FPS.

I did see some slides of G-SYNC settings from an older driver where v-sync on was the recommended setting though but I assume that is no longer the case since the green NVIDIA icon is no longer next to On in the latest driver?

I read the links you provided and some other articles and some claim that forcing v-sync increases input latency, albeit only slightly, so should v-sync be on or off in the global profile?

Old
  (#35)
Agent-A01
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 1080Ti H20
Processor: i7 5930K 4.7GHz H20
Mainboard: ASUS X99-AU31
Memory: G.Skill 32GB 3200C12
Soundcard: ASUS Phoebus
PSU: EVGA P2-1200W
Default 06-05-2017, 19:32 | posts: 9,392 | Location: USA

Set FPS cap plus VSYNC ON in NVCPL.

Vsync isn't actually on unless FPS = refresh rate.

It adds zero input lag if under refresh rate.

Old
  (#36)
archie123
Maha Guru

Default 06-05-2017, 20:54 | posts: 2,359 | Location: UK

Quote:
Well the recommended setting for v-sync in the global profile is 3D application controlled so that is what I left it at (it's not set to Off, sorry for the confusion). If I force it on then any in-game benchmarks I run are going to be capped at 165 FPS.

I did see some slides of G-SYNC settings from an older driver where v-sync on was the recommended setting though but I assume that is no longer the case since the green NVIDIA icon is no longer next to On in the latest driver?

I read the links you provided and some other articles and some claim that forcing v-sync increases input latency, albeit only slightly, so should v-sync be on or off in the global profile?
Nvidia driver used to force vsync by default for gsync monitors , this stopped a few driver releases ago , v sync does increase latency after your fps goes over refresh rate and for me its very noticable , here is a good video explaining it all https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L07t_mY2LEU

Old
  (#37)
RealNC
Maha Guru

Default 06-06-2017, 02:04 | posts: 989

Quote:

It should be on. It does not increase latency, not even slightly. (This was tested.)

The only case where it increases latency, is when you'd get tearing. You can get tearing with g-sync with games that have fluctuating frame times. Keeping vsync enabled allows g-sync to "steer" the tear line outside the visible region of the screen. Yes, this means it adds latency IF there was going to be a tear line. But that is the whole point of g-sync; add just enough latency to make the tear line invisible. And that is the point of frame capping too; add just enough frame time latency to make sure g-sync can work.

Saying that setting vsync "on" increases latency is a bit like saying that hitting the break pedal in your car in order to avoid hitting a pedestrian, reduces your speed. Well, it does. That's the plan. If you don't reduce speed, you're gonna hit the pedestrian In the same manner, if g-sync doesn't delay the frame, it's gonna tear. The delay is what you want, because you don't want tearing. If there's no need to delay a frame, then nothing happens. Not ALL frames are delayed. Only those that would tear.

To not get latency at all, you need to disable both g-sync and v-sync.

Last edited by RealNC; 06-06-2017 at 02:46.

Old
  (#38)
Darren Hodgson
Ancient Guru

Default 06-06-2017, 07:23 | posts: 14,883 | Location: England

Thanks again. I think I now understand how the technology works and it seems to be working fine in all the games I've tested so far. What I've done is set V-Sync to On in the global profile and removed the 60 fps cap I used in many games on my 60Hz Dell display to force even framepacing. I also enabled the G-SYNC indicator and the refresh rate OSD display on my monitor to see what happens when I play games. I've then changed the settings in every game I've played to set 165 Hz and 165 fps or unlimited framerates with v-sync off plus triple buffering disabled.

FIFA 17 for example, which I also mentioned in my G-SYNC Questions thread, loads at 60 Hz then switches to 165 Hz once the game starts but G-SYNC appears to only be enabled during gameplay. Oddly, this bit of the game runs at 165 fps almost constantly (at 4K with 4xMSAA too!) and the only dips below that are during replays and cutscenes (such in The Journey) where it will drop to 90 - 120 fps. G-SYNC appears disabled for these parts although I'm not sure why. However, they appear to run smoothly and don't judder. Every other game I've tested though shows G-SYNC enabled at all times right from loading it.

It's amazing to see how much of my card is wasted on limiting the framerate to 60 fps even when playing maxed out games at 2560x1440. Some games still run at up to double the 60 fps framerate or as high as 165 fps (FIFA 17). I've even been able to set 4K natively and still have the game run over 60 fps. Yet the games remain smooth and responsive at almost all times. I say almost because I have noticed some tiny amounts of stutter in a few games but I suspect that is either an engine issue or hiccups to do with streaming data from a 7,200rpm hard drive. That said, these games all run better than they did at 60 Hz and 60 fps, even those were I had to force a 60 fps cap to fix the bad framepacing.

G-SYNC really is amazing and it is a real shame that you can only see it for yourself by actually playing a game for real on a G-SYNC display. It's something that cannot be shown.

Incidentally, what happens when you use ShadowPlay to record footage of a game running using G-SYNC? Would it appear to be stutter due to the way video is captured at a fixed rate (30 or 60 fps)?

Old
  (#39)
RandomDriverDev
Banned

Videocard: 1080 / 8GB and 1060 / 6GB
Processor: Xeon
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: SeaSonic
Default 06-06-2017, 07:59 | posts: 111

Quote:

ips glow is yellow
backlight bleed is white

Old
  (#40)
Darren Hodgson
Ancient Guru

Default 06-06-2017, 16:45 | posts: 14,883 | Location: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomDriverDev View Post
ips glow is yellow
backlight bleed is white
It's definitely IPS glow I'm seeing as it moves and disappears as I shift my head around. Backlight bleed doesn't do that.

Old
  (#41)
Darren Hodgson
Ancient Guru

Default 06-07-2017, 13:22 | posts: 14,883 | Location: England

I've noticed some minor colour banding on this display that I hadn't noticed before on my Dell monitor. Nothing too major, just on the loading screens of a couple of games (I think one was Dishonored 2). Now it may be that it was there before and I never noticed it (perhaps because the screen was less bright) but could it be caused by incorrect settings or mismatched ICC profiles?

Old
  (#42)
RealNC
Maha Guru

Default 06-07-2017, 18:14 | posts: 989

In the majority of cases, banding is an issue with the game, not the monitor. Many games don't convert to the correct color space during frame buffer color conversion and/or don't apply dithering. It is visible with all monitors, because the banding is actually what it's supposed to look like (not by intention, but due to developer oversight.)

Old
  (#43)
Darren Hodgson
Ancient Guru

Default 06-08-2017, 09:55 | posts: 14,883 | Location: England

Quote:
In the majority of cases, banding is an issue with the game, not the monitor. Many games don't convert to the correct color space during frame buffer color conversion and/or don't apply dithering. It is visible with all monitors, because the banding is actually what it's supposed to look like (not by intention, but due to developer oversight.)
I think you are right.

I checked a review of this monitor on TFTCentral and they recommend using 25% brightness setting for the best IQ in terms of blacks, contrast and colour reproduction. Mine was set to 80% brightness out of the box and I lowered that to 50% straight away. This gave a nice, bright, vibrant image on the desktop and games but made colour banding more visible. I have now lowered it further to 35% brightness (25% seems fine too but whites do not look white enough for my liking so I've compromised!). This makes the banding less obvious now.

Old
  (#44)
fantaskarsef
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 1080Ti @h2o
Processor: 5930K @h2o
Mainboard: R5E @h2o
Memory: Ripjaws 32GB DDR4
Soundcard: ALC1150
PSU: AX 1200i
Default 06-08-2017, 13:28 | posts: 6,733 | Location: Austria (no kangaroos here)

Quote:
I think you are right.

I checked a review of this monitor on TFTCentral and they recommend using 25% brightness setting for the best IQ in terms of blacks, contrast and colour reproduction. Mine was set to 80% brightness out of the box and I lowered that to 50% straight away. This gave a nice, bright, vibrant image on the desktop and games but made colour banding more visible. I have now lowered it further to 35% brightness (25% seems fine too but whites do not look white enough for my liking so I've compromised!). This makes the banding less obvious now.
That's what I did too with my XB270HU, checked on TFTCentrall for their settings and the file you can add (can't recall what it's extension was) to save the color profile, and used their settings. I like how thourough they are with their testing and searching for the best settings.

Old
  (#45)
Darren Hodgson
Ancient Guru

Default 06-09-2017, 08:53 | posts: 14,883 | Location: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantaskarsef View Post
That's what I did too with my XB270HU, checked on TFTCentrall for their settings and the file you can add (can't recall what it's extension was) to save the color profile, and used their settings. I like how thourough they are with their testing and searching for the best settings.
My last three monitors, including this one, were bought from recommendations of TFTCentral so they are the first site I visit when checking out reviews. I use their settings but not their ICC profiles (because these are specific calibrations for their screen only).

Anyway, I found 25/26 Brightness to be a bit too dark for my liking even at night with the lights off so I've now settled on 40 which looks good without washing colours in some games.

I had a hiccup happen last night with G-SYNC though while playing around with NVIDIA's G-SYNC Pendulum demo v1.10. Because I didn't understand how that demo worked in regards to framerate caps I assumed that adding a profile for it and changing from G-SYNC to High Refresh Rate would prevent the low framerates I was seeing. However, when I applied the setting it somehow "broke" G-SYNC because I was unable to click on the G-SYNC button in the demo plus the power light on the monitor changed from Red to White (indicating G-SYNC was disabled).

So I checked the global profile settings to make sure G-SYNC was enabled (it was for fullscreen and windowed) and that V-Sync was set to On (again, it was). I then restarted my PC.

The monitor light was still white though and the Pendulum demo still refused to let activate the G-SYNC button. I had to basically disable G-SYNC in the NVIDIA control panel and re-enable it to fix this at which point the monitor light changed from white to red.

Not sure if this is a bug with the control panel, since it seemed to deactivate when I applied the settings to change from G-SYNC to High Refresh Rate for the per-game Pendulum demo. This should not have happened but it acted as if I'd changed it globally.

Old
  (#46)
Darren Hodgson
Ancient Guru

Default 06-10-2017, 14:07 | posts: 14,883 | Location: England

I finally got the replacement monitor this morning at 10am, which should have come last Sunday. Fortunately, it *does* come with the UK cloverleaf lead/plug that was missing from the original box so I've just pinched that and swapped it out for the third-party Lindy one I had been using in the meantime. I wanted the lead that is supposed to come with the monitor, for obvious reasons, but the only difference appears to be that the one that comes with the monitor is 2m and has a 3A fuse versus the 1m and 5A fuse of the Lindy one. I will keep the Lindy one as a backup.

I haven't tested the second monitor yet though as I'm happy with the one I am using now. I might check the build date though to see if is later than the August 2016 of the one I have. I almost feel that I should test it to see how the backlight compares between the two (even though I haven't noticed any bleeding on the one I have).

Old
  (#47)
Darren Hodgson
Ancient Guru

Default 06-11-2017, 15:06 | posts: 14,883 | Location: England

I have just tested the replacement monitor which was built in February 2017 so being six months newer I was curious to see how it compared with the one I have from August 2016. Initial impressions were positive as the screen appeared to even with patchiness but when I tested a fullscreen 4K black screen image I noticed backlight bleed in the top-right hand corner on 50% brightness. This was even more obvious when I increased the brightness to 100%. Definitely could not live with that.

The original monitor, which I decided to keep over the replacement, has possibly some very, very slight backlight bleed in the top-right corner but I had to set the brightness to 100% to see it and even then I'm not entirely sure it's there, that's how difficult it is to spot (and it may not even be backlight bleed...). At 50% brightness it is not noticeable at all so it does look like I got a good panel after all even though it is almost 10 months old.

Old
  (#48)
RealNC
Maha Guru

Default 06-11-2017, 15:48 | posts: 989

Note that blacklight bleed can change, since it can be pressure-related. A monitor that was just switched on might have more bleed than a monitor that was on for a couple hours.

When checking for BLB, it's best to leave the monitor on for about an hour first so it warms up.