CRU (Custom Resolution Utility) Tips, Tricks and Monitors OC (LCD/LED/CRT)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by OnnA, Oct 3, 2016.

1. Kero91

Kero91 Guest

GPU:
    I tried 30-70HZ but still get black screen when launching games/sync demos :(

I've tried adding HDMI 2.0 support and a few other things, no idea what else to do really especially since I am a noob with all of this stuff!!! :( :p

2. thunderc8

thunderc8 Guest

GPU:
    AMD Asus R9 290 DCii OC
    I have an old samsung monitor from 2008 syncmaster T220 that i managed to oc to 75hz but when i enable the HDMI support and freesync i get black screen.
    When i have both screens connected (old philips + samsung monitor) i can see on the crimson panel that its detected as a DVI-D and freesync is not enabled so i do the disconnect and connect trick with the DVI cable and then it detects my monitor as an HDMI and free sync is enabled but i get black screen, cant even see my desktop.
    Is there anything i have to set to HDMI support to make my monitor work with HDMI support? i think something is wrong when it detects it as an HDMI monitor and i get black screen, if i reset it it detects my mnonitor as a DVI again and i get image on my monitor.

Edit: i tried with Didplay port to DVI adapter and i get the same results, its strange because i used to have an HDMI to DVI adapter back in the days and i got image with no problem its strange when crimson detects my monitor as an HDMI i get black screen.

On another note
    I managed to get my old 2008 tv to work with freesync and its working fine but i get black screen from time to time and the message unsuported format and after a few secs i have image again, but its working fine with 59hz and free sync range from 30-59.

Last edited: May 18, 2017
  3. Dacasks

Dacasks Guest

GPU:
    ati
    I’m sorry for “first posting” only to ask this (at least for now) but... I didn’t imagine that freesync could be used also with CRTs. This is crazy. This is like Retrogaming/Emulation dream coming true and NOBODY KNOWS THAT, WTH. I mean... you get no tearing... at no cost of input lag anymore (vsync), USING A TUBE. Is that true or am I wrong? Tell me.
    So, I have a R380, I actually do have a freesync monitor as well... but I would like to try it on CRT. The problem is, R380 only has DP, HDMI and DVI out... and there’s no CRT as far as I know that supports HDMI (well, at least not the standard ones), and DVI seems problematic...
    So I ask if a HDMI to VGA would do the trick (since my freesync monitor also has a vga jack). Since I would use mainly for emulators (steady frame rate, no drops), DosBox and old games, I guess it would work great, doesn’t?

4. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    OnnA is running FreeSync on his CRT via an HDMI to VGA converter he had mentioned in one of his posts (either here or on monitortests.com).

If you have wildly varying framerates you will get flicker and variable brightness, so it depends on what you're doing. If you're frame doubling (do the emulators you use support that?), then you should be fine with framerates less than 30FPS on a 60Hz CRT (but 31-59Hz will flicker).

5. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Yup
    But now i have 1440p FS LED -> https://iiyama.com/gl_en/products/prolite-xub2792qsu-b1

Besides Freesync on CRT is more like 'fluent FPS' more like Frame Pace of some sort.

I've explained this in some of my early posts, with Graphs etc.

Best on CRT was FS On + Vsync OFF + Frame CAP.
    Best on my new LED is FS On + CAP and in some cases Vsync On.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
  6. Dacasks

Dacasks Guest

GPU:
    ati
    Thanks for answering, both of you! :)

Well, I'm waiting a HDMI to VGA dongle to arrive so I can test it first with the same freesync monitor (since the only CRT tube I have needs its vga plug repaired and I'm not having the time right now)

Well, about the emulation part... I guess it won't have problems since, in theory, even with games that plays natively, say, at 15 fps, the emulation itself needs to be at 60fps (1:1 emulated frame rendering), so I guess it won't be a problem. I only play systems that my pc is able to emulate fullspeed (no frame dropping) so...

The only problematic scenario I see (if everything works fine), would be trying to emulate some arcade games with odd refresh rates under MAME, like the Mortal Kombat series (which plays at weird signal of 54.7hz). So, unless I'm able to sync that it won't be possible to play at its native refresh rate. One amazing thing about Freesync is that, it's the only way since forever to emulate Mortal Kombat properly without relying on Vsync (which introduces mad input lag).
    Using that on a Tube, I'm not kidding, people they don't know this much, to me, would be a revolution because you could use Tube, which is the display these old games were intended for in the first place (even if they were intended to 15khz rgb monitors, one could use a VGA monitor with a Scanline generator and get the same look from the old time arcade machines with the benefits of a more "home clean" setup) with a lag free, no screen tearing/hanging setup. That's why, pardon me, I'm skeptical about it, because the idea is THAT cool

I'll post my experiences down the road. Anyway, thanks again!

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
  7. Milardo

Milardo Guest

GPU:
    4gb ddr2
    VS207D vga monitor

Hi i have an asus vs207D with only vga input and i use a unitek hdmi to vga adapter to plug into hdmi port of xfx rx460. Will this monitor allow for enabling of freesync if following directions? What values should i choose, for the extension block and display properties? Not sure from the directions and unclear how to fin d them. Thanks for any good replies.

8. amd2253

amd2253 Guest

GPU:
    AMD 290X
    I've tried to enable Freesync on my LG 29UM58-P, no luck so far.. anyone have a tip?

9. saloei

saloei Guest

GPU:
    Saphire Radeon R295X2
    So if I follow these instructions I'll have Freesync enabled on my LG 43UD79-B? (contrary to what the Internet is saying about this monitor, this monitor does not include Freesync feature. Lg has confirmed that via email and phone conversation with technical support)

I got as far as adding Freesync to ExtensionBlock>DataBlock of the CRU program but still can't enable Freesync setting on my Crimson version 17.2.2. My GPU is R295X2. The monitor is connected using Displayport cable. Any suggestions?

10. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    It doesn't work over DisplayPort. Only HDMI.

11. BAZOKA1942

BAZOKA1942 Member Guru

GPU:
    sapphire r9 390
    hi
    i like to ask about freesync mode
    1. does it work via dvi monitor and hdmi from gpu
    2. and with dvi monitor and dvi from gpu ?!

3.my last question i hear that old gpu gcn 1.0 like r9 280x support freesync video only no 3d games mean limited but the toggle should be available in catalyst to turn on and off ?

my problem i havi dvi to dvi right now and freesync grayed out so i like to know to buy a hdmi converter or ... or maybe force toggle on via registry to force on dvi even its about scaler but with cru extension i think is treated as hdmi

12. saloei

saloei Guest

GPU:
    Saphire Radeon R295X2
    I managed to get Freesync working on my LG 43UD79-B. I was able to do it using an HDMI cable connected to the monitor's 4K@60Hz HDMI port.

The entry that was missing in the CRU>EXTENSION BLOCK was HDMI 2.0 Support. Once I added that in there it worked.

I went back to Displayport as I couldn't get 4K native resolution to work with HDMI though I had the cable connected to the monitor's 4K@60Hz HDMI port. LG assured me the HDMI cable supplied with this monitor was 4K@60Hz capable. My problem could be the HDMI to Mini HDMI adapter I'm using for connecting the cable to my video card - Radeon R295x2.

Any reason why this doesn't work with Displayport?

13. saloei

saloei Guest

GPU:
    Saphire Radeon R295X2
    I bought a new Mini-Displayport to HDMI 2.0 adapter. I'm now able to select 3840x2160 resolution on the LG 43UD79-B monitor. Problem now is I can't get Freesync to enable via Radeon Crimson settings.

With the older Mini-displayport to HDMI 1.2 adapter, I was able to enable Freesync but couldn't go higher than 1920x1080.

14. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Are any of the adapters active?

15. saloei

saloei Guest

GPU:
    Saphire Radeon R295X2
    The new adapter is described as an active Mini Displyport 1.2 to HDMI 2.0.
    What does it mean to be active?

16. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    An active adapter intercepts the output of the DisplayPort, and will transform it to your HDMI 2.0 signal. As far as your card knows, it's a DisplayPort monitor.

Passive adapters pass the signal without modification, as it's just a wiring match. Your monitor gets detected as HDMI by the card. Active adapters are only REALLY needed if you are doing multimonitor setups above 2.

Check your EDID setup with CRU. You may need to change some settings to get FreeSync working again, or replace the adapter with a passive one, if available.

17. saloei

saloei Guest

GPU:
    Saphire Radeon R295X2
    Thanks for the info. Your info was correct. When I use the active adapter, Radeon Crimson settings shows its connected to Displayport though I'm connected using the HDMI cable. When I use the passive adapter, Crimson shows I'm connected using HDMI.

There are no passive adapters nor displayport to hdmi cables that can do 4K@60Hz. Out of luck until CRU can do Freesync via Displayport.

18. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Displayport supports FreeSync already. You may just have to enable a FreeSync range that works on your monitor in CRU's data block. You could also enable HDMI 2.0 to see if that also makes a difference.

19. saloei

saloei Guest

GPU:
    Saphire Radeon R295X2
    I give up. I tried everything. Hopefully someone who had the same problem I have will share their solution. I can only get it working using the passive adapter. Thanks for the help but I'm a layman with all those numbers and frequencies. Very complicated.

20. z8373767

z8373767 Master Guru

GPU:
    6900XT/8650G+7970M
    :banana:CRU 4 life!:banana:

I bought AOC G2460PF and i had a issue while 144Hz turn on. Horizontal line floating on the screen. 120Hz works fine.
    I check specs of monitor. "35-146Hz Freesync Range". So i oc'd monitor to 146Hz and this floating line is gone!
    Freesync still working!