Z170x and multiple m.2 sata drives...help

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Emille, Jun 4, 2017.

1. Emille

Emille Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti Aorus Extreme
    I have a gugabyte z170x gaming 5 and a 6700k.

I'm currently using a 950 pro in an m.2 slot. I presume it is running at pci 3.0 x4 speed as advertised ( is there any way to check ? )

I want to buy a 960 pro for the othet slot. Would it be running at 3.0 x4 speed also or is there some kind of limitation that would make it share the bandwidth with the other m.2 slot.

Thanks

2. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    I think you will lose pci-e 3.0 x4 on one of the m.2 slots if certain sata slots are used, also i think one of the m.2 slots are controlled by the cpu and the other by the mobo chipset, best to refer to maual and/or the website

goto page 18

file:///K:/Downloads/mb_manual_ga-z170x-gaming5_e.pdf

Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
  3. Emille

Emille Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti Aorus Extreme
    Thanks. I'll check it out.

Is there a program that can tell me for sure what speed my drives are running at ( pci x....not in gb/s etc )

Edit: I downloaded the manual and made sure the drives were connected to the right slots that seem to correspond to maintaining x4 speed in the manual but won't be able to check for a few days. I'm waiting for my new gpu to arrive and pc is out of commision.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
  4. Jawnys

Jawnys Master Guru

GPU:
    asus tuf oc 3090
    U can check your drivr speed with the samsung magician apps.
    If u use two m.2 drive on skylake u womt be able to run them both at 4 x ull have to go to 2x unless u run your graphic card at 8 x