Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > Hardware > Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats
Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats A cracking SoundBlaster ? Got new Speakers ? Be heard in here !

Old
  (#1176)
sykozis
Ancient Guru

Videocard: XFX RX 470
Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 1600
Mainboard: MSI B350 Tomahawk
Memory: Corsair DDR4-2666
Soundcard: Sound Blaster Z
PSU: Corsair CX750M
Default 01-28-2017, 02:08 | posts: 19,968 | Location: US East Coast

I just received a FiiO K1 Portable Headphone Amplifier and USB DAC that I ordered for my work laptop. The difference in sound is just insane. All I'm using is a cheap set of Logitech Z200 speakers but the sound in no longer flat and heavily distorted. Considering picking up a second FiiO K1 for my desktop....

Old
  (#1177)
sykozis
Ancient Guru

Default 05-30-2017, 03:13 | posts: 19,968 | Location: US East Coast

So, we've had the discussion about motherboard audio. What about video card audio? Has anyone tried to get by with AMD or NVidia's HDMI audio?

Old
  (#1178)
sverek
Ancient Guru

Videocard: MSI GTX970 4G
Processor: i5 2500k
Mainboard: P8Z68-V
Memory: Corsair Ven. 8GB
Soundcard: XonarDG+HD595
PSU: Corsair HX850
Default 05-30-2017, 03:38 | posts: 2,876 | Location: Ibaraki, Japan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sykozis View Post
So, we've had the discussion about motherboard audio. What about video card audio? Has anyone tried to get by with AMD or NVidia's HDMI audio?
HDMI audio is a digital signal. Nvidia and AMD just support the standart for specific HDMI version.
So as far as video card cappable of sending digital signal according to its HDMI standart, it's good enough.
It's like comparing if AMD or Nvidia has better resolution or color depth.

"Sound quality" would start from components that change digital signal to analog (DAC), amplifiers that boost analog signal (AMP) and finally speakers that actually produces sound.

Soundcard quality comes from its DAC and AMP components, that justify the sound quality.

EDIT: FiiO K1 Portable Headphone Amplifier that you mentioned, takes digital signal (from USB), converts it to analog signal (DAC) and then amplifies the analog signal (AMP) for headphones so analog signal is loud and clear.
So "wow" factor in FiiO K1 is DAC (how accurately can it transform digital signal to analog) and AMP (how well can it amplify given analog signal).

Last edited by sverek; 05-30-2017 at 03:48.

Old
  (#1179)
sykozis
Ancient Guru

Default 05-30-2017, 04:51 | posts: 19,968 | Location: US East Coast

I wasn't asking for a comparison between AMD's HDMI Audio and NVidia's HDMI Audio. I have a FreeSync monitor with built-in speakers that has a habit of causing my SB-Z to get disabled. Doesn't seem to matter how many times I set the SB-Z as the default output device, Windows keeps changing it back to the AMD HDMI Audio. I don't know if it's the AMD drivers causing this, the Creative drivers or yet another Windows bug. It is getting incredibly annoying though.

My options are either to try my FiiO K1 at home....which would actually require ordering another one. Remove the SB-Z and use the onboard audio. Remove the SB-Z and plug my speakers into the headphone out port on my monitor, effectively making use of AMD HDMI Audio.....or ditch Windows altogether in favor of Linux so this problem never happens again, which isn't an ideal solution....

Old
  (#1180)
sverek
Ancient Guru

Default 05-30-2017, 05:00 | posts: 2,876 | Location: Ibaraki, Japan

Why not just uninstall AMD audio driver?

Old
  (#1181)
sykozis
Ancient Guru

Default 05-30-2017, 05:04 | posts: 19,968 | Location: US East Coast

Tried that. Windows just reinstalls it on reboot and sets it as default again.

Old
  (#1182)
sverek
Ancient Guru

Default 05-30-2017, 07:34 | posts: 2,876 | Location: Ibaraki, Japan

Quote:
Tried that. Windows just reinstalls it on reboot and sets it as default again.
sverek's good half : just ignore it.
sverek's bad half : *sweats profusely*
sverek's good half : no.. don't.
sverek's bad half: Wi... Win...
sverek's good half : NO!! DONT!!!
sverek's bad half : Win7 > Win10

Old
  (#1183)
GREGIX
Master Guru

Videocard: Saphire Fury 3-x@2720Z
Processor: i7-5775C@4ghz
Mainboard: Asus z97 pro gamer
Memory: 2x8gb Basillix 2133 cl9
Soundcard: Creative Zx+Edifier 1700
PSU: EVGA G2 550W
Default 05-30-2017, 13:13 | posts: 332 | Location: Ireland

Just disable amd audio in hardware manager. Do not uninstall, just turn it off.

Old
  (#1184)
vf
Maha Guru

Videocard: AMD Radeon™
Processor: 3 Intel/ 2 AMD
Mainboard: PS4 1200c
Memory: 8GB
Soundcard: Auzen X-Fi/SS Siberia 840
PSU: 165W
Default 05-31-2017, 23:55 | posts: 1,508 | Location: UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorch666 View Post
Your onboard sound is a Realtek ALC1150, with Audio boost 3. Which in my opinion is very good. I personally would use it over the sound blaster.
http://www.realtek.com.tw/products/p...n=4&ProdID=328
I take it there isn't much difference between the 898. http://www.realtek.com.tw/products/p...n=4&ProdID=325

115 vs 110.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyr0 View Post
I wish i could still use my Xonar DX instead of the on board audio included on my motherboard (Realtek ALC1150)
Everything sounds better on the Xonar, movies, music, games but the drivers don't resume from sleep/hibernation very well on my system often causing bluescreens when waking referencing cmudaxp.sys.
I remove the card and no more bluescreens, just worse audio quality.

If anyone has any suggestions I'm all ears :p

The last creative based card I had was an Auzentech Prelude, are the newer creative cards/drivers any good?
Where are you now with this? Tried the latest DanielK drivers? My Prelude still sits in the box. Not sure whether to use it or not with the Steelseries Siberia 840.

Old
  (#1185)
sykozis
Ancient Guru

Default 06-01-2017, 00:58 | posts: 19,968 | Location: US East Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sverek View Post
sverek's good half : just ignore it.
sverek's bad half : *sweats profusely*
sverek's good half : no.. don't.
sverek's bad half: Wi... Win...
sverek's good half : NO!! DONT!!!
sverek's bad half : Win7 > Win10
Win7 would solve the problem, except that I have no Win7 licenses and refuse to waste any more money on Windows licenses.

Old
  (#1186)
Anarion
Ancient Guru

Videocard: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 ACX
Processor: Intel Core i7 3770K
Mainboard: ASUS P8Z77-V
Memory: G.SKILL RipjawsX 16 GB
Soundcard: Sound Blaster Zx + HD 595
PSU: Corsair AX760
Default 06-02-2017, 17:22 | posts: 12,915 | Location: Finland

Quote:
I wasn't asking for a comparison between AMD's HDMI Audio and NVidia's HDMI Audio. I have a FreeSync monitor with built-in speakers that has a habit of causing my SB-Z to get disabled. Doesn't seem to matter how many times I set the SB-Z as the default output device, Windows keeps changing it back to the AMD HDMI Audio. I don't know if it's the AMD drivers causing this, the Creative drivers or yet another Windows bug. It is getting incredibly annoying though.

My options are either to try my FiiO K1 at home....which would actually require ordering another one. Remove the SB-Z and use the onboard audio. Remove the SB-Z and plug my speakers into the headphone out port on my monitor, effectively making use of AMD HDMI Audio.....or ditch Windows altogether in favor of Linux so this problem never happens again, which isn't an ideal solution....
Why not just disable AMD HDMI audio from device manager? Disabling it from playback devices should also do the job.

Old
  (#1187)
sykozis
Ancient Guru

Default 06-03-2017, 02:53 | posts: 19,968 | Location: US East Coast

I have it disabled in device manager now. Haven't rebooted since doing so but hopefully Windows won't change it back afterwards. I tried disabling it from within "Playback devices" but Windows just re-enabled it and set it as default again.

Windows10 isn't like earlier versions of Windows where you can just refuse to install a driver and the device won't work. Windows10 will keep searching for and attempting to install a driver until it finally finds one that works....whether you want it to or not. It's really stupid.

Old
  (#1188)
vf
Maha Guru

Default 06-03-2017, 15:29 | posts: 1,508 | Location: UK

Quote:
Windows10 isn't like earlier versions of Windows where you can just refuse to install a driver and the device won't work. Windows10 will keep searching for and attempting to install a driver until it finally finds one that works....whether you want it to or not. It's really stupid.
Yes, it is. When I used DDU to remove the AMD drivers then switched to NVIDIA, once everything was installed and correctly setup. I had connected to my network and Windows 10 decided to download and install the AMD drivers for a card that isn't in the system. What the hell...

Old
  (#1189)
vf
Maha Guru

Default 07-24-2017, 16:38 | posts: 1,508 | Location: UK

How would the Auzentech Prelude stack up against the present sound cards? ZxR, AE-5 and whatnot. Though everywhere I've read from Creative to Asus about rubbish drivers. That was what made me dig out the Prelude and use the latest Daniel K drivers.

It has been many years since I've heard this card.