Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > General Chat > The Guru's Pub
The Guru's Pub Hang out with Guru3D's staff and other visitors, have a nice civilized chat, nothing hardware related though !

No rest day... should I? Could I?
Old
  (#1)
NomadAssassin
Master Guru

Videocard: EVGA GTX1060 6GB SC
Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-4590
Mainboard: Asus Z97-A
Memory: HyperX Savage 4x4GB DDR3
Soundcard: Creative Sound Blaster Z
PSU: Corsair CS450
Default No rest day... should I? Could I? - 06-01-2017, 21:45 | posts: 538 | Location: Republic of Bulgaria

Hello, Guru juiceheads. I've started working out since 2 months ago and took like maybe 5-6 days in total to rest. I'm planning on completely giving up on rest day since I really don't see any issues. I'm upping my body mass and I feel great. Some say you should absolutely give you muscles a rest for at least 48 hours and some say it's sign of being a weak bitch.
What do you say Gurus?

I should say that my workouts are entirely home based and it's just few variations of push ups and sit ups.

Old
  (#2)
Margalus
Member Guru

Videocard: EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
Processor: i7 6850k
Mainboard: Asus X99 Deluxe
Memory: 32GB Gskill 3200 DDR4
Soundcard:
PSU: Corsair HXi850
Default 06-01-2017, 21:59 | posts: 124 | Location: St. Louis

That is why you alternate different body parts on different days. You can work out everyday while still giving parts rest. Resting the muscles is needed if you work them hard.

Old
  (#3)
NomadAssassin
Master Guru

Default 06-01-2017, 22:04 | posts: 538 | Location: Republic of Bulgaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margalus View Post
That is why you alternate different body parts on different days. You can work out everyday while still giving parts rest. Resting the muscles is needed if you work them hard.
Yeah every time I hit the floor I workout till complete muscle failure, but I feel fine in the morning though.

Old
  (#4)
Extraordinary
Ancient Guru

Videocard: GTX980 SLI
Processor: FX-8350 @ 4.8GHz / H100i
Mainboard: ASUS Crosshair V Formula
Memory: 12GB 2133 G.Skill
Soundcard: Creative SB1040 7.1
PSU: Corsair RM1000
Default 06-01-2017, 22:06 | posts: 17,540 | Location: 127.0.0.1

Few pushups and situps isn't really enough to require a rest day, unless you're doing hundreds a day anyway

Old
  (#5)
NomadAssassin
Master Guru

Default 06-01-2017, 22:11 | posts: 538 | Location: Republic of Bulgaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extraordinary View Post
Few pushups and situps isn't really enough to require a rest day, unless you're doing hundreds a day anyway
It's not hundreds but I do them until I can't use my arms anymore

Old
  (#6)
Extraordinary
Ancient Guru

Default 06-01-2017, 22:22 | posts: 17,540 | Location: 127.0.0.1

How much do you weigh?

Rest days are for muscle recovery after a few days at the gym lifting heavy weights, which damages the muscle fibres, and in turn forces them to repair bigger stronger fibres, without a rest day you will hinder growth/gains

Pushups are good and all, but they're not really a heavy week at the gym lifting properly

So IMO no, you won't need one, if you feel fine the next day do some more

Old
  (#7)
CalculuS
Maha Guru

Videocard: 6950 Asus DC2U
Processor: I7 920 4.1ghz 1.3v
Mainboard: Asus P6T Deluxe
Memory: 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz/CL8
Soundcard: Xonar DX
PSU: EVGA 500W
Default 06-01-2017, 22:24 | posts: 2,729 | Location: Netherlands

You're not gonna exhaust your body hard enough with push up/sit ups variations that rest days matter.

Besides doing push ups/sit ups variations are gonna do **** all tbh for you in the long term anyway, IF you can somehow progress with them (more weight instead of more reps) you'd only develop an imbalanced body anyway.

Try this, all can be done at home.

https://www.reddit.com/r/bodyweightf...mended_routine

Old
  (#8)
NomadAssassin
Master Guru

Default 06-01-2017, 22:26 | posts: 538 | Location: Republic of Bulgaria

Quote:
How much do you weigh?

Rest days are for muscle recovery after a few days at the gym lifting heavy weights, which damages the muscle fibres, and in turn forces them to repair bigger stronger fibres, without a rest day you will hinder growth/gains

Pushups are good and all, but they're not really a heavy week at the gym lifting properly

So IMO no, you won't need one, if you feel fine the next day do some more
72kg

Old
  (#9)
Extraordinary
Ancient Guru

Default 06-01-2017, 22:27 | posts: 17,540 | Location: 127.0.0.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadAssassin View Post
72kg
Nah, unless you wear a backsack full of weights, 72Kg isn't going to do much for needing any rest at all, remember a lot of your weight is going through your feet into the floor, not just your chest/arms/shoulders

EDIT - You can improve the weight distribution by doing things like this

Last edited by Extraordinary; 06-01-2017 at 22:32.

Old
  (#10)
NomadAssassin
Master Guru

Default 06-01-2017, 23:19 | posts: 538 | Location: Republic of Bulgaria

Quote:
Nah, unless you wear a backsack full of weights, 72Kg isn't going to do much for needing any rest at all, remember a lot of your weight is going through your feet into the floor, not just your chest/arms/shoulders

EDIT - You can improve the weight distribution by doing things like this

Yes I'm doing it that way.

Old
  (#11)
Extraordinary
Ancient Guru

Default 06-01-2017, 23:29 | posts: 17,540 | Location: 127.0.0.1

Get yourself to the gym, lift some real weights and give yourself a reason to have a rest day

Do pressups for a year and see next to nothing change, or go to the gym for a year and see a huge change

Old
  (#12)
NomadAssassin
Master Guru

Default 06-01-2017, 23:57 | posts: 538 | Location: Republic of Bulgaria

Quote:
Get yourself to the gym, lift some real weights and give yourself a reason to have a rest day

Do pressups for a year and see next to nothing change, or go to the gym for a year and see a huge change
Oh no I'm not training to gain muscles and get shredded like most people do. I'm training to become stronger overall. Don't care for BMI and how ripped I'm going to look. That is why im not doing reps in certain numbers and counting and **** like that. I pushing my muscles to their limit everytime so that my punches become like steam hammers.
I'm an ex-boxer so that is my priority.

Old
  (#13)
Nosein
Member Guru

Videocard: ASUS
Processor: i7 6600k
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: Apowerful1
Default 06-01-2017, 23:58 | posts: 116

Quote:
Hello, Guru juiceheads. I've started working out since 2 months ago and took like maybe 5-6 days in total to rest. I'm planning on completely giving up on rest day since I really don't see any issues. I'm upping my body mass and I feel great. Some say you should absolutely give you muscles a rest for at least 48 hours and some say it's sign of being a weak bitch.
What do you say Gurus?

I should say that my workouts are entirely home based and it's just few variations of push ups and sit ups.
You may not feel any issues, but issues from being overworked dotn appear in a few months. They popup in the form of injury due to over use or you start going backwards in your progress.

Anyone who says you're a weak bitch for using common sense and rest days is not someone you should be taking advice from. Theres a reason we sleep. We get tired, we need to rest. Even if you just sit at a desk all day, you still need rest. Now imagine what the body requires after something like strength training.

Quote:
Yeah every time I hit the floor I workout till complete muscle failure, but I feel fine in the morning though.
Youve been working out 2 months and you think you in a position to decide what you can handle over the long term?

Nah. Stop this working out till failure nonsense. Its something that should be used sparingly to test progress and help with overcoming plateaus when plateaus are reached.

You're ego lifting workout wise. Working out with no rest days is going to take a toll over the long term and its something that will creep up on you and will be the last thing you think of when you start to ask yourself "why am i tired and why am i going backwards in my progress".

Quote:
Oh no I'm not training to gain muscles and get shredded like most people do. I'm training to become stronger overall. Don't care for BMI and how ripped I'm going to look. That is why im not doing reps in certain numbers and counting and **** like that. I pushing my muscles to their limit everytime so that my punches become like steam hammers.
This ^^^ is bro science. Theres a reason that reps are counted and programs like 5x5 exist.

An ex-boxer who doesnt care about BMI? An ex-boxer who thinks lifting weights makes you punch harder. Yeah...nah.

Punching is about technique. A boxer would know this.
Strength training is also about technique. Any athlete who takes their hobby seriously knows this.

If you dont train to punch properly, your not going to be able to do any damage and if you dont weight lift properly you're not going to see any strength gains. Weightlifting isnt about making you hit harder, its about building a solid foundation from which those punches are thrown and about building a solid foundation to minimize damage for when punches are received.

"counting and **** like that". Reps arent just some arbitrary number that is decided by the hands on a clock or what sounds good at the time, they're a benchmark or goal that you set to gauge progress. Reps are a challenge and workout in themselves and a way to measure progress in a linear fashion. If you dont set a goal in your workout, then youll never know if you've reached you're overall goal of becoming stronger in general.

How did you plan on testing if the workouts had increased your punching strength, out of curiosity. With one of these?:

Last edited by Nosein; 06-02-2017 at 00:28.

Old
  (#14)
Extraordinary
Ancient Guru

Default 06-02-2017, 00:00 | posts: 17,540 | Location: 127.0.0.1

Quote:
You're an ex boxer but need to ask a forum whether you need a rest day after pushups?

Start boxing if you want a hard punch

Old
  (#15)
Nosein
Member Guru

Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
Default 06-02-2017, 00:06 | posts: 116

Quote:
You're an ex boxer but need to ask a forum whether you need a rest day after pushups?

Start boxing if you want a hard punch

This. Reads like a brag thread.

Weightlifting = harder punches? lol wat.

Old
  (#16)
airbud7
Ancient Guru

Videocard: MSI RX 480 ARMOR 4G OC
Processor: i7-2600k (Thanks sykozis)
Mainboard: ASRock H61icalf
Memory: 8GB G.S DDR3 1600 --TK--
Soundcard: Xonar DX
PSU: PC Power&Cooling S61EPS
Default 06-02-2017, 00:50 | posts: 4,098 | Location: Beech Island SC,USA

I'm 6 feet 2 inches tall and 196 pounds...OP got nothing!/ Lol....J/K

Old
  (#17)
Corrupt^
Ancient Guru

Videocard: ASUS 1080GTX STRIX
Processor: Core i7 5820K
Mainboard: ASUS X99-A/USB 3.1
Memory: Kingston HypX 16GB 3Ghz
Soundcard: Essence STXII Senn. HD650
PSU: Super Flower 1200W
Default 06-02-2017, 02:54 | posts: 6,562 | Location: Belgium

Quote:
Just buy your own weights.

I cba to go to the gym when I get home from 9 or 10 hours at work and solved it that way. Down the line it's cheaper then going to the gym as well.

When it gets to easy: buy another bunch of disks and up the weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosein View Post
Weightlifting = harder punches? lol wat.
Sounds retarded, but you can do exercises where you grab smaller weights and do punching exercises. Seems to strengthen the muscles needed for punching.

Last edited by Corrupt^; 06-02-2017 at 02:57.

Old
  (#18)
Nosein
Member Guru

Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
Default 06-02-2017, 03:32 | posts: 116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrupt^ View Post
Just buy your own weights.

I cba to go to the gym when I get home from 9 or 10 hours at work and solved it that way. Down the line it's cheaper then going to the gym as well.

When it gets to easy: buy another bunch of disks and up the weight.

Sounds retarded, but you can do exercises where you grab smaller weights and do punching exercises. Seems to strengthen the muscles needed for punching.
Its purely retarded and nothing more than anecdotal. Youd achieve much more and strengthen the same muscles by doing rows and benchpress.

Punching the air with weight is nonsensical. You're just risking injury for minimal gain as all the weight (and risk) is placed on the joints. To reduce or remove that risk, youd have to use such a light weight that it would render the whole thing pointless.

Punching is a whole body movement, not a shoulder forearm thing. There is an entire chain of "events" that occur throughout the body when punching correctly. To use a light dumbbell or similar and punching the air makes no logical sense. It basically becomes a front shoulder raise with poor form.

Old
  (#19)
TaskMaster
Master Guru

Videocard: Galax GTX 980 SLI 4gb
Processor: Intel i7 4960x 4.7ghz
Mainboard: Rampage IV Extreme
Memory: 64GB Dominator Platinum
Soundcard: XFI Titanium f4tality pro
PSU: Coolermaster 1000Watt
Default 06-02-2017, 08:14 | posts: 685

2 days rest.

Old
  (#20)
Margalus
Member Guru

Videocard: EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
Processor: i7 6850k
Mainboard: Asus X99 Deluxe
Memory: 32GB Gskill 3200 DDR4
Soundcard:
PSU: Corsair HXi850
Default 06-02-2017, 15:16 | posts: 124 | Location: St. Louis

Quote:
You may be tiring the muscles, but you are not tearing the muscles which is what a hard workout does which is why it requires rest to heal between sessions. All you are doing is keeping them active and in shape with your routine

Old
  (#21)
Brasky
Maha Guru

Videocard: ASUS 1080 Strix
Processor: i5-3570K
Mainboard: AsRock Z77e-ITX
Memory: G-Skill Sniper 2133 16gb
Soundcard: Littering and...?
PSU: Silverstone 450
Default 06-02-2017, 15:31 | posts: 1,995 | Location: BBQ Capital of the World

Rest day= GAINZ Here's a funny video that explains it. NFSW. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YtSaRl4fkU

Old
  (#22)
AsiJu
Ancient Guru

Videocard: EVGA 980Ti SC+/Xtreme IV
Processor: Ryzen5 1600
Mainboard: ASRock X370 Killer SLI
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ 3000/C14
Soundcard: X-Fi Titanium + Z906
PSU: Tt. Toughpower XT 875 W
Default 06-02-2017, 22:08 | posts: 3,455 | Location: Finland

Let's put it this way: if you don't need rest days, you're not exercising properly if you want to build up strength and mass.

Also like Extra said it's the repair of muscle fibers which makes them stronger and rest is essential for that. If the repair is "interrupted" by another workout you're diminishing the gains.

Nosein made good points too above.

And I have to agree you'd think an ex-boxer would know this...