Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > General > Operating Systems
Operating Systems Is Windows 8.1 giving you a hard time ? Wanna try out Windows 10 ?

Installing Windows 7 via USB on AM4 Ryzen
Old
  (#1)
AMDK6

Videocard: 32MB
Processor: AMD K6
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: 500 Watts
Default Installing Windows 7 via USB on AM4 Ryzen - 05-21-2017, 23:40 | posts: 19

Anyone install Windows 7 through USB flash drive or optical drive? I'm curious if the USB 2.0 ports work on AM4 or have they butchered them like Intel so they only work with an xHCI driver making them non bootable or unable to finish the Windows 7 installation through USB?

Old
  (#2)
KissSh0t
Ancient Guru

Videocard: ASUS RX 470 Strix Gaming
Processor: AMD FX 8320
Mainboard: ASUS M5A97 R2.0
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X F3 8GB
Soundcard: X-Fi XtremeMusic
PSU: Corsair HX650W
Default 05-22-2017, 00:46 | posts: 4,964 | Location: 0.0.0.0

Have you tried installing from DVD?

Old
  (#3)
tsunami231
Ancient Guru

Videocard: EVGA 660gtx sig2
Processor: i7 6700k NH-D14
Mainboard: Asrock z170 Extreme 4
Memory: Corsair LPX 2400mhz 16gb
Soundcard: Realtek HD Audio
PSU: Antec HCG 750m
Default 05-22-2017, 01:15 | posts: 7,334 | Location: USA

you wont get wu updates on win7 using the ryzen cpu, this includes security updates. even if you do install it atlest not officially, you know this right?

Old
  (#4)
KissSh0t
Ancient Guru

Default 05-22-2017, 01:31 | posts: 4,964 | Location: 0.0.0.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunami231 View Post
you wont get wu updates on win7 using the ryzen cpu, this includes security updates. even if you do install it atlest not officially, you know this right?
I thought there was already a work around for this artificial barrier imposed by Microsoft?

Old
  (#5)
tsunami231
Ancient Guru

Videocard: EVGA 660gtx sig2
Processor: i7 6700k NH-D14
Mainboard: Asrock z170 Extreme 4
Memory: Corsair LPX 2400mhz 16gb
Soundcard: Realtek HD Audio
PSU: Antec HCG 750m
Default 05-22-2017, 02:03 | posts: 7,334 | Location: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by KissSh0t View Post
I thought there was already a work around for this artificial barrier imposed by Microsoft?
which was imply by officially part of my statement

Part me want to say they did to force people to get win10 other part me says it was done for reason and that wont be realized by people that did do this, to few years down the road.

Last edited by tsunami231; 05-22-2017 at 02:06.

Old
  (#6)
KissSh0t
Ancient Guru

Default 05-22-2017, 02:27 | posts: 4,964 | Location: 0.0.0.0

Quote:
which was imply by officially part of my statement

Part me want to say they did to force people to get win10 other part me says it was done for reason and that wont be realized by people that did do this, to few years down the road.
The only reason is to force adoption of Windows 10, nothing more nothing less.

I will stop here as it's off topic for this thread.

Old
  (#7)
vase
Maha Guru

Videocard: -
Processor: -
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: -
Default 05-22-2017, 04:46 | posts: 1,653 | Location: #1 http://www.3dmark.com/fs/8257155

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDK6 View Post
Anyone install Windows 7 through USB flash drive or optical drive? I'm curious if the USB 2.0 ports work on AM4 or have they butchered them like Intel so they only work with an xHCI driver making them non bootable or unable to finish the Windows 7 installation through USB?
Hi.

first off: Updates for Kaby Lake / Ryzen -> http://www.pcworld.com/article/31912...7-updates.html
& here http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=413995

About the USB ports, you will be able to boot and do the setup from the USB stick. But you will need to either slipstream the AM4 chipset drivers (from AMD homepage) into the USB install image (install.wim) with NTLite or alternative.

Another option is to use a PS/2 keyboard after the installation of W7 to download and install the chipset drivers.

Because USB after the first real boot (post install) will not work out of the box due to missing drivers.

As you can see it's no biggie tho' you just need to chose your method of how you wanna make sure those drivers are loaded once W7 is installed.

PS/2 keyboard <- OR -> slipstream the driver into install medium

Last edited by vase; 05-22-2017 at 04:48.

Old
  (#8)
AMDK6

Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
Default 05-22-2017, 13:37 | posts: 19

Quote:
Have you tried installing from DVD?
DVD is not a problem as long as it is internal. I'm interested in seeing if anyone has tested the AMD AM4 motheboards corresponding AMD USB ports to see if it can be done on USB 2.0 ports. USB 3.0 is not natively supported. The latest Intel USB ports are butchered so the USB 2.0 do not function properly to complete the installation via USB.

Old
  (#9)
AMDK6

Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
Default 05-22-2017, 13:39 | posts: 19

Quote:
I'm not concerned with downloading updates or restricted updates from MS. Just if Windows 7 can be installed via USB 2.0 ports (not internal SATA) on an AMD AM4 socketed motherboard. Intel butchered their USB ports and I want to know if AMD also did the same or not. If they didn't that opens up more people to pick AMD over Intel going forward.

Old
  (#10)
AMDK6

Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
Default 05-22-2017, 13:41 | posts: 19

Quote:
I'm sure any update MS releases downloaded via online can be altered for offline installation. But I'm not to concerned with anything beyond Windows 7 SP1 for the moment and any later update probably shadily installs the Windows 10 forced update patch I've heard about.

Old
  (#11)
AMDK6

Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
Default 05-22-2017, 13:52 | posts: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by vase View Post
Hi.

About the USB ports, you will be able to boot and do the setup from the USB stick. But you will need to either slipstream the AM4 chipset drivers (from AMD homepage) into the USB install image (install.wim) with NTLite or alternative.

Another option is to use a PS/2 keyboard after the installation of W7 to download and install the chipset drivers.

Because USB after the first real boot (post install) will not work out of the box due to missing drivers.

As you can see it's no biggie tho' you just need to chose your method of how you wanna make sure those drivers are loaded once W7 is installed.

PS/2 keyboard <- OR -> slipstream the driver into install medium

Yes I've tried these similar methods on Intel Skylake but does the Windows 7 installation through USB 2.0 ports work till completion to the Windows 7 Desktop screen using just a PS/2 keyboard? Or does it stop somewhere during the installation as if it can't access the USB device from which it is installing from to complete the installation?

This is an issue only currently found on the butchered Intel USB ports where it doesn't complete the installation since it can't detect the source USB Windows 7 setup files. I want to know if the AMD AM4 USB 2.0 ports have the same issue that Intel USB 2.0 ports have.

Can you check on your motherboard if the AMD USB ports have something called "xHCI hand-off" in the BIOS?

<<<"Because USB after the first real boot (post install) will not work out of the box due to missing drivers.">>>

Okay is this after the full Windows 7 installs and first time going to the desktop after a clean install or do you mean just copying the Windows 7 installation files but does not get into the desktop portion?

As for the USB ports not working you are referring to the AMD's built in USB ports or 3rd party?

If the AMD USB ports don't work have you tried modifying them from the earlier AM3 USB drivers to patch add the Hardware IDs to see if they work on the AM4 USB ports?

Do you have a snapshot of the Device Manager screen of all your devices shown?

Old
  (#12)
Clouseau
Maha Guru

Videocard: MSI RX 480 Gamming
Processor: Ryzen 1700X
Mainboard: ASUS Prime X370-Pro
Memory: GSkill Trident (2x8) 3200
Soundcard:
PSU: Seasonic SSR-1200PD
Default 05-23-2017, 02:44 | posts: 1,675

Not sure while you are singling out USB 2.0. All the ports on my particular board are either 3.0 or 3.1. The only way to get 2.0 is by using one of the two headers on the board. Not sure if any AM4 boards have USB 2.0 ports as part of the back panel. But 3.0 is backwards compatible with 2.0.

Old
  (#13)
AMDK6

Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
Default 05-23-2017, 05:59 | posts: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clouseau View Post
Not sure while you are singling out USB 2.0. All the ports on my particular board are either 3.0 or 3.1. The only way to get 2.0 is by using one of the two headers on the board. Not sure if any AM4 boards have USB 2.0 ports as part of the back panel. But 3.0 is backwards compatible with 2.0.
It should be obvious that USB 3.0 ports are not natively supported for installing on Windows 7 or older without slipstreaming the USB 3.0 drivers. If you are saying USB 2.0 ports don't exist on AM4 as rear USB ports I kind of doubt that as you didn't do your research. Usually the cheaper low end motherboards would have a mix of USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 ports but even on high end they are available.

http://*************/amd-ryzen-am4-m...ock-asus-x370/

Also with the loss of xHCI hand-off in most BIOS I'm curious if AMD also removed this BIOS option. If it is not present than USB 3.0 ports are dead to USB installation without additional modification of the ISO except for Windows 8 and higher.

Old
  (#14)
Clouseau
Maha Guru

Videocard: MSI RX 480 Gamming
Processor: Ryzen 1700X
Mainboard: ASUS Prime X370-Pro
Memory: GSkill Trident (2x8) 3200
Soundcard:
PSU: Seasonic SSR-1200PD
Default 05-23-2017, 19:42 | posts: 1,675

Quote:
It should be obvious that USB 3.0 ports are not natively supported for installing on Windows 7 or older without slipstreaming the USB 3.0 drivers. If you are saying USB 2.0 ports don't exist on AM4 as rear USB ports I kind of doubt that as you didn't do your research. Usually the cheaper low end motherboards would have a mix of USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 ports but even on high end they are available.

http://*************/amd-ryzen-am4-m...ock-asus-x370/

Also with the loss of xHCI hand-off in most BIOS I'm curious if AMD also removed this BIOS option. If it is not present than USB 3.0 ports are dead to USB installation without additional modification of the ISO except for Windows 8 and higher.
First off, "not sure" would automatically indicate it is an uninformed piece of information. As for not doing their research, download and read a couple mainboard manuals and you will have the answer to the hands off question. Your post comes across as insulting and I am out. Good luck.