Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > General > Operating Systems
Operating Systems Is Windows 8.1 giving you a hard time ? Wanna try out Windows 10 ?

clean install of Win10..
Old
  (#1)
tsunami231
Ancient Guru

Videocard: EVGA 660gtx sig2
Processor: i7 6700k NH-D14
Mainboard: Asrock z170 Extreme 4
Memory: Corsair LPX 2400mhz 16gb
Soundcard: Realtek HD Audio
PSU: Antec HCG 750m
Default clean install of Win10.. - 05-21-2017, 02:44 | posts: 7,367 | Location: USA

So my dads friend final got the stuff I need to do clean install win 10, cause his old install was fubar.

After some USB boot issue I final got it installed, all went well but the stupid startmenu is still buging at radnom even with .296 installed Still cant pin anything to starmenu, I removed tiles just for the to reappear on next reboot , I closed off tile window on reboot the tile window is back. I cant add download/my documents etc to the task bar either. cause nothing in menu saves

Did any ever figure out how to fix the pining issue startmenu? I told him to just ignore cause he dont use it anyway it like once the issue is there it cant be fixed or atlest i never found way, and I dont want to reinstall windows again to try and fix it.

I wary about install 1703 on my dad pc cause I dont want the UPDATE to fubar the starmenu cause he actual uses that.

Last edited by tsunami231; 05-21-2017 at 02:51.

Old
  (#2)
Ghosty
Ancient Guru

Videocard: GT 840M
Processor: I5 4210M 3.2GHz
Mainboard: -
Memory: DD3L 8G
Soundcard: Creative Sound Blaster
PSU: -
Default 05-21-2017, 03:15 | posts: 4,854

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunami231 View Post
So my dads friend final got the stuff I need to do clean install win 10, cause his old install was fubar.

After some USB boot issue I final got it installed, all went well but the stupid startmenu is still buging at radnom even with .296 installed Still cant pin anything to starmenu, I removed tiles just for the to reappear on next reboot , I closed off tile window on reboot the tile window is back. I cant add download/my documents etc to the task bar either. cause nothing in menu saves

Did any ever figure out how to fix the pining issue startmenu? I told him to just ignore cause he dont use it anyway it like once the issue is there it cant be fixed or atlest i never found way, and I dont want to reinstall windows again to try and fix it.

I wary about install 1703 on my dad pc cause I dont want the UPDATE to fubar the starmenu cause he actual uses that.
Never seen that before. Hard to tell what may be the root course. Faulty ram or graphics card? Perhaps try downloading and burning the latest version to USB and installing over the top of the existing one. Keeping files and folders etc.

Old
  (#3)
tsunami231
Ancient Guru

Default 05-21-2017, 04:33 | posts: 7,367 | Location: USA

I have had 3 times so far, 2 times on clean install once one upgrade

Old
  (#4)
Extraordinary
Ancient Guru

Videocard: GTX980 SLI
Processor: FX-8350 @ 4.8GHz / H100i
Mainboard: ASUS Crosshair V Formula
Memory: 12GB 2133 G.Skill
Soundcard: Creative SB1040 7.1
PSU: Corsair RM1000
Default 05-21-2017, 10:13 | posts: 17,547 | Location: 127.0.0.1

Could it be needing all the C++ redistribs etc installing?
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=393405

Shouldn't need to but we're talking Windows 10 here

Run the directX web installer etc

Anything 3rd party that we usually install for games, install them

Don't know enough about this crappy XAML stuff to know what it depends on to work

Old
  (#5)
Ghosty
Ancient Guru

Videocard: GT 840M
Processor: I5 4210M 3.2GHz
Mainboard: -
Memory: DD3L 8G
Soundcard: Creative Sound Blaster
PSU: -
Default 05-21-2017, 13:44 | posts: 4,854

I would suspect faulty ram or overheating graphics card as the root. But it's hard to tell. Try memtest for any errors. Onboard graphics I presume? Another course might be the PSU. Any of these can have the effect you mentioned.

Old
  (#6)
tsunami231
Ancient Guru

Default 05-21-2017, 20:02 | posts: 7,367 | Location: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extraordinary View Post
Could it be needing all the C++ redistribs etc installing?
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=393405

Shouldn't need to but we're talking Windows 10 here

Run the directX web installer etc

Anything 3rd party that we usually install for games, install them

Don't know enough about this crappy XAML stuff to know what it depends on to work
I install the AIO VC installer on all install of windows then the ngen compiler, this one first thing I do on any in windows install. Seeing as I never installed DXwebsetup or redist on this computer even when I first installed win 10 then 1607 upgrade and never had this issue doubt that why either. they dont play game other then solitary and they would know how to do it anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post
I would suspect faulty ram or overheating graphics card as the root. But it's hard to tell. Try memtest for any errors. Onboard graphics I presume? Another course might be the PSU. Any of these can have the effect you mentioned.
The problem is none of those this is issue is specific to win 10 creator update installs. be it an upgrade or clean, it randomly happens, people over at MDL and tenforums have been complain about this and other startmenu issue in creator update.

I did upgrade from creator in VM and had no issues, I did upgrade to creator on real hardware, and upon first boot, after that starmenu was buged, nothing could be pined to things that were pinned were all invalid. had to clean install that to fix that, I then did clean install on system I talking about in OP and it happen again.

This bug in the CREATOR UPDATE upgrade/clean install that is randomly happening

Last edited by tsunami231; 05-21-2017 at 20:15.

Old
  (#7)
Extraordinary
Ancient Guru

Videocard: GTX980 SLI
Processor: FX-8350 @ 4.8GHz / H100i
Mainboard: ASUS Crosshair V Formula
Memory: 12GB 2133 G.Skill
Soundcard: Creative SB1040 7.1
PSU: Corsair RM1000
Default 05-21-2017, 20:25 | posts: 17,547 | Location: 127.0.0.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunami231 View Post
I install the AIO VC installer on all install of windows then the ngen compiler, this one first thing I do on any in windows install. Seeing as I never installed DXwebsetup or redist on this computer even when I first installed win 10 then 1607 upgrade and never had this issue doubt that why either. they dont play game other then solitary and they would know how to do it anyway.

The problem is none of those this is issue is specific to win 10 creator update installs. be it an upgrade or clean, it randomly happens, people over at MDL and tenforums have been complain about this and other startmenu issue in creator update.
This is one of the reasons I went back to LTSB 2016, MS are in way over their heads with all the new 'features' every 6 months without anywhere near enough time to get them all working properly, and faults like this with the start menu which should be working 100% by now just show they are focussing on the wrong things

I`ll stick with LTSB & SiB, seems to = best stability and least problems

Old
  (#8)
tsunami231
Ancient Guru

Default 05-21-2017, 20:36 | posts: 7,367 | Location: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extraordinary View Post
This is one of the reasons I went back to LTSB 2016, MS are in way over their heads with all the new 'features' every 6 months without anywhere near enough time to get them all working properly, and faults like this with the start menu which should be working 100% by now just show they are focussing on the wrong things

I`ll stick with LTSB & SiB, seems to = best stability and least problems
yah LTSB starting to sound better and better, but to do install of LTSB on other people systems that is starmenu issues happening on or dont want to happen on, will be more issue for me then this is. there is atlest chance to fix this with out do clean install again, I Will try to make new profiles next i go there and see what happens.

I have not installed 1703 on my dads pc cause I cant have the upgrade fubaring the startmenu in anyway he uses that alot, and clean install isnt feasible even though I set his pc up to have all my documents video pictures etc, to go to separate drive he still saves stuff on main drive and has no clue what he really need. to point i resorted to tell people fine go buy new hdd/sdd i will install it on that and leave other drive as external drive for them, for them to go back to if then some from the old install., which what i did with OP system, that clean installed is there issue, grant is old install which now external drive, XAML in general is just broke among so many other things. from upgrade i expect issue but statmenu is something they make sure works. and definitely something that should not be happen on clean installs.

Having separate drive for people have all the vital files on only works if they keep em there, and i find most the time they do not.

Last edited by tsunami231; 05-21-2017 at 20:41.