Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > General > Operating Systems
Operating Systems Is Windows 8.1 giving you a hard time ? Wanna try out Windows 10 ?

We couldn't complete the updates. Reverting changes
Old
  (#1)
Vibe
Member Guru

Videocard: 1080 GTX
Processor: i7-7700k
Mainboard: Asrock Z270 Fatal1ty
Memory: 32 GB ddr4
Soundcard: Rift, JBL wireless
PSU: Corsair SFX
Question We couldn't complete the updates. Reverting changes - 05-13-2017, 14:36 | posts: 73 | Location: Indiana

This message haunts me on every single reboot. It takes forever and is driving me nuts. What ticks me off more is that my install of Windows 10 isn't even 2 months old I think.
Also noticed that Windows has decided to change at least a few of my settings for me, such as my power plan is now back to balanced....why does MS think they know my preferences better than me? Furthermore, even though my power button is set for sleep mode, now all it does is shut the computer down and try to install updates but for some reason it's failing and there's nothing to explain why.

How do I make this stop?

Old
  (#2)
Extraordinary
Ancient Guru

Videocard: GTX980 SLI
Processor: FX-8350 @ 4.8GHz / H100i
Mainboard: ASUS Crosshair V Formula
Memory: 12GB 2133 G.Skill
Soundcard: Creative SB1040 7.1
PSU: Corsair RM1000
Default 05-13-2017, 14:51 | posts: 17,538 | Location: 127.0.0.1

Reinstall Windows lol

Old
  (#3)
Vibe
Member Guru

Default 05-13-2017, 15:14 | posts: 73 | Location: Indiana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extraordinary View Post
Reinstall Windows lol
Lol, it's a never ending vicious cycle. How do all these people that claim they never had to reinstall and how amazingly stable Windows (insert any version here) is, even survive as a PC gamer? I want to be one of these people!

I seriously think I'm gonna use Windows LTSB this time. I have the activator and paid for the Home so screw it. Maybe preventing all these "features" updates will help out plus I don't use Cortana, Store apps or Edge anyway.

Old
  (#4)
Extraordinary
Ancient Guru

Videocard: GTX980 SLI
Processor: FX-8350 @ 4.8GHz / H100i
Mainboard: ASUS Crosshair V Formula
Memory: 12GB 2133 G.Skill
Soundcard: Creative SB1040 7.1
PSU: Corsair RM1000
Default 05-13-2017, 15:21 | posts: 17,538 | Location: 127.0.0.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibe View Post
Lol, it's a never ending vicious cycle. How do all these people that claim they never had to reinstall and how amazingly stable Windows (insert any version here) is, even survive as a PC gamer? I want to be one of these people!

I seriously think I'm gonna use Windows LTSB this time. I have the activator and paid for the Home so screw it. Maybe preventing all these "features" updates will help out plus I don't use Cortana, Store apps or Edge anyway.
Yea considering installing that next myself too

Dunno, I don't have any major problems like that, but just don't like what they're doing with 10 tbh

Those anti-spy programs, and disabling stuff in group policy seem to be the main culprits for Win 10 issues though if you've done any of that

Old
  (#5)
tsunami231
Ancient Guru

Videocard: EVGA 660gtx sig2
Processor: i7 6700k NH-D14
Mainboard: Asrock z170 Extreme 4
Memory: Corsair LPX 2400mhz 16gb
Soundcard: Realtek HD Audio
PSU: Antec HCG 750m
Default 05-13-2017, 23:45 | posts: 7,335 | Location: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibe View Post

cause they probably never did it them selves?

My dad friends PC which I installed for him, apparently has had 1607 (home) build WU function was broke for 6+month by a update which accumulated in the registry is now corrupt, all XAML apps are broke, FF no longer launched and so many other issue all at once. the install is pretty much fubar I couldnt even do a refresh of the OS fix all this and need to be reinstalled now. which all started cause update and cascaded from there. the OS is literly broke and not usable, I still waiting on him to get hdd so can do clean install of the OS on new drive so his stuff isnt wiped. 3 weeks later i still waiting I not sure how he can use the os that way

i think Win95~XP I only reinstalled 3 time for all those OS due to issue. not counting the clean installed I did when build new system.

Win10 I have reinstalled cleanly over 6 times on the same system do to update fubar WU or the startmenu forced update are great when then dont screw **** up.

Last edited by tsunami231; 05-13-2017 at 23:53.

Old
  (#6)
sykozis
Ancient Guru

Videocard: XFX RX 470
Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 1600
Mainboard: MSI B350 Tomahawk
Memory: Corsair DDR4-2666
Soundcard: Realtek....
PSU: Corsair CX750M
Default 05-14-2017, 00:24 | posts: 19,858 | Location: US East Coast

I've been running the same install for at least a year now.

With XP, I had to reinstall damn near weekly until SP1 was released.

Win98 and 98SE I only reinstalled when they became too cluttered with crap I didn't use

WinME, aside from the corruption caused by the built in defrag utility, I only reinstalled it when too cluttered.

I only reinstalled Win95 when I replaced the harddrive.

Vista and 7, I only reinstalled as necessary.

Win8 I reinstalled more times than I could keep track because I wanted to hate it so badly.

Win8.1 I only reinstalled twice

It's really not hard to keep the same Windows install if you don't do something stupid to screw it up.

Old
  (#7)
lucidus
Ancient Guru

Videocard: MSI Gaming X GTX 1070
Processor: i7 6700K 4.5Ghz 1.28v
Mainboard: Asus Maximus 8 Hero
Memory: Vengeance 32GB 3000Mhz
Soundcard: Onboard + H/K Soundsticks
PSU: 850W EVGA Supernova
Default 05-14-2017, 09:09 | posts: 9,935 | Location: Republic of Kekistan

Go for LTSB. It's the best version of windows 10. Just as stable as 7 and 8.1 ever were.
You can also use the delay feature updates setting to be on the current branch for business to avoid the early cumulative updates which more often than not **** up the installation.

As for the error message, try clearing out the software distribution folder. It has always fixed wu related errors for me.

Old
  (#8)
Clouseau
Maha Guru

Videocard: MSI RX 480 Gamming
Processor: Ryzen 1700X
Mainboard: ASUS Prime X370-Pro
Memory: GSkill Trident (2x8) 3200
Soundcard:
PSU: Seasonic SSR-1200PD
Default 05-14-2017, 09:41 | posts: 1,677

Only issue ever had with operating systems, aside from me causing the issues was from drivers. Had to grin and bear it till stable drivers were made for VISTA. No issues with 10 aside from the ones I caused.

Old
  (#9)
Vibe
Member Guru

Default 05-14-2017, 15:39 | posts: 73 | Location: Indiana

Quote:
Originally Posted by sykozis View Post
It's really not hard to keep the same Windows install if you don't do something stupid to screw it up.
First off my rig is 100% Steam gaming only machine. I don't even use the web browser on it. I use Oculus Rift and Steam, that's it.
Windows update is obviously having some issue, perhaps even the result of a poorly coded previous update or feature.
I fail to see how you can just blame the user all the time, especially in such a case here where all I do is click 'Play' in Steam. So how is it my fault that WU is constantly reverting itself?

I just wanted to know how to make it stop, if you don't know then why did you come here?

Old
  (#10)
Vibe
Member Guru

Default 05-14-2017, 15:41 | posts: 73 | Location: Indiana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clouseau View Post
Only issue ever had with operating systems, aside from me causing the issues was from drivers. Had to grin and bear it till stable drivers were made for VISTA. No issues with 10 aside from the ones I caused.
I haven't updated drivers in a while. The only updates there ever is, is for Nvidia and I'm still on the previous driver, so that didn't cause this sudden issue. I haven't done anything on this rig in 2 weeks except play Fallout 4 and one other game, I forget now.
All my other drivers typically don't get anymore updates, I think Intel LAN was the only one that has in recent months.

Old
  (#11)
Clouseau
Maha Guru

Videocard: MSI RX 480 Gamming
Processor: Ryzen 1700X
Mainboard: ASUS Prime X370-Pro
Memory: GSkill Trident (2x8) 3200
Soundcard:
PSU: Seasonic SSR-1200PD
Default 05-15-2017, 20:38 | posts: 1,677

This is going to sound daft but have you checked the button battery? Last rig was doing random crazy stuff. After a week of bull**** testing was about to through in the towel. Grasping at straws replaced the button battery and all the crazy happenings stopped.