Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > Hardware > Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats
Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats A cracking SoundBlaster ? Got new Speakers ? Be heard in here !

Old
  (#26)
Mufflore
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 1080ti @2GHz silent!
Processor: 6700K @4.6GHz
Mainboard: Maximus VIII Hero
Memory: 16GB LPX 3000 @3600
Soundcard: Oppo 205, TL+Ribbon spks
PSU: Corsair AX750
Default 05-05-2017, 00:04 | posts: 10,116 | Location: United states of Kingdom

ps in case you are bored:

My speaker build thread.
sadly all piccys have gone.
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=329128

There is a thread about my silver interconnects that I forgot about
Dont read too far down, theres a danger of brain haemorrhage.
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=372898

Since that thread a change has been made (stating this for continuity).
The Minimax DAC has been modded, its tube stage removed.
This has reduced EM noise within the DAC and made the solid state output cleaner and more detailed.
In this thread I stated the Oppo 105 sounded best. Now the Minimax sounds best.

And I no longer EQ treble down, a little more resistance was added to the tweeters.

Old
  (#27)
Hyde

Videocard: 8GB DDR3
Processor: Core i5 2.4GHz
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: Linear
Default 05-05-2017, 05:02 | posts: 12

Wow, that was a lot to read. Totally enjoyable though. Yeah, superb sound quality is undoubtedly a unanimous goal here. But yeah, that cost vs added value game is always running amok as well sabotaging my impulse buys! lol

I've gotten rid of a lot of stuff (certainly a technical downgrade over time) simply because of moving and space issues. Speaking of.. I actually owned a pair of LSR305 monitors. They were my last pair before I moved. I wasn't elated but they did satisfy the requirement at the time. Truth be told, I haven't heard a set of speakers that have truly impressed me since... wow... 10+ years ago? It's my own fault, really.

Using silver as your conductor. That's interesting. I have no doubt that that works really really well. What really piqued my interest were the details about shielding and the tweeter resistor. With no shield (and assuming no loops in the wire), you've potentially removed most/all capacitance. Coupled with the silver, I bet your impedance is much lower at the amp input. That's awesome. I may have to experiment with that.

Being that there is no shield, the low noise is surprising. Does your amp have differential inputs?

Though I'm a big fan of external interfaces as well, I do love that raw PCB look and the modular nature of add-in cards. Easily adds new life to a rig. Also, that sound the cards make, you know? When you slide a new card into a PCIe slot. *sssshhhick* and *click* (if applicable). Then you take a moment to look at the decorative LEDs on the motherboard that your friends said were dumb because no one would ever see them. You whisper, "I see them" before closing up your meticulously built machine, satisfied.

...So yeah, audio stuff.

Old
  (#28)
Hyde

Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
Default 05-05-2017, 05:24 | posts: 12

Alanm, I forgot to say that I agree about most budget/midrange powered monitors these days. Many use class D amplification, touting their 40W+ output power as a selling point (305's included) and that's a shame. Those Polks were a good way to go. What's powering them?

Old
  (#29)
alanm
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 1070 AMP!
Processor: 7700k / D15s
Mainboard: z270 Taichi
Memory: 16gb Vengeance 3200mhz
Soundcard: SB Zx
PSU: XFX Pro 750w
Default 05-05-2017, 07:08 | posts: 7,090

Wow Mufflore, you're certainly far deeper into this than I am. The Oppo is an interesting design, probably misleadingly named Blu Ray player. Its pre-amp functions, multi-channel inputs are what interest me most, but not sure I would invest that sort of money into it. Not that it may not be worth it for those that require its features and level of performance. OTOH, it may be a better deal than separate good receiver + BR player though still need amps.

My only experience with ribbon speakers was with Magnepans (full range ribbons) in a store listening room. Impressive, open sounding, although dont like their tall flat panel look. No chance those for desktop usage . Not yet listened to bookshelves with ribbon tweeters but will certainly keep them in mind for future.

And good job with your speaker kit. DIY looks like an interesting way to go for speakers, as parts should always be cheaper than the finished product. Must be a wealth of info on the web with suggested kits/parts. Re interconnects, very controversial topic in audio circles. Some firmly sticking to the science while others swearing by the sound, I tend to lean to the former. My belief that any properly made shielded cables with good quality connectors should properly do the job, and need not cost an arm and a leg. Material, whether gold, silver or copper perhaps optional for corrosion or anti-oxidization properties.
But that said, I have not listened to hi-end or exotic cables with silver, but suspect that even if I were to, my confirmation bias may get the better of me.

Last edited by alanm; 05-05-2017 at 07:10.

Old
  (#30)
alanm
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 1070 AMP!
Processor: 7700k / D15s
Mainboard: z270 Taichi
Memory: 16gb Vengeance 3200mhz
Soundcard: SB Zx
PSU: XFX Pro 750w
Default 05-05-2017, 07:26 | posts: 7,090

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyde View Post
Alanm, I forgot to say that I agree about most budget/midrange powered monitors these days. Many use class D amplification, touting their 40W+ output power as a selling point (305's included) and that's a shame. Those Polks were a good way to go. What's powering them?
The LSR305s are internally bi-amped (40w + 40w) which gives them a lot of power, probably more than enough. Dont forget these are sensitive, horn loaded speakers which require very little power to begin with. Class D is ideal for powered monitors. What else can you use? Class A is hot and very expensive, even class AB more than needed. Class D is efficient, cool and gets the job done

For my Polks I tend to use my receivers amp (80w/ch). Also have a couple class D mini-amps, one a TDA7498E which can do 160w into 4ohms, but its tiny sealed design makes it hot to run. The other is a TPA3116 (50w-4ohm, 30w-8ohm) that works well, runs cool which I use for my rear speakers.

Old
  (#31)
Hyde

Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
Default 05-05-2017, 21:10 | posts: 12

I shouldn't have said that it's a shame. I definitely see the merits of class D topology and I absolutely love those little TPA chips. I have a TPA3122 module myself. For the amount of power that comes out of that tiny square... it's certainly impressive. Yeah, class A is not practical, I totally agree. I definitely think class AB is useful though. If anything at all, because of serviceability.