Dolby Atmos

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by ASLayerAODsk, Mar 16, 2015.

1. ASLayerAODsk

ASLayerAODsk Guest

GPU:
    MSI 580 8G
    So anyone else have Atmos on their PC? :) what software would you recommend for blurays?

2. RagDoll_Effect

RagDoll_Effect Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    I have read up a bit about Atmos. seems as though it just adds in channels and a few other things. Software for blurays, I recommend Total Media Theatre by Arcsoft. Brilliant piece of software :)

regards
    ,RagDoll.

3. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    I use Windvd 11 my self and it been working flawlessly for me,where Powerdvd usually give me issues.I have used Total media theatre as well and it is really great software but I used it back when I had a Asus Xonar HDAV 1.3.

But sadly Total Media Theatre is not longer maintained or updated they even stop creating it. You can't even get it on the site any more let around buy it. The only software they now maintain is their photo software, its like they left the media sector behind.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
  4. RagDoll_Effect

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    Oh well, they might offer it for free now, bonus :)
    So, Powerdvd and WinDVD are the 2 that are left...

regards
    ,RagDoll.

5. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    So you can get Dolby Atmos via software player? My friend had gotten a flagship Onkyo receiver with Dolby Atmos, borrowed a number of Blurays from my collection to test Atmos. IIRC, he borrowed Gravity, John Wick and Guardians of the Galaxy and a couple more......I think, since he's an old friend, I trust that he'll return the disc when he's done.

6. RagDoll_Effect

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    Cool, well Dolby atmos isn't in the software, it's a special ability to add more and more channels, within a Dolby atmos receiver...

regards,
    RagDoll.

7. automaticman

automaticman Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Vapor-X
    Are any discs actually encoded with Atmos, or is it only virtually added in by the receiver?

I believe it adds some height channels iirc?

8. mezball

mezball Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus RTX 4080
    Atmos is software and hardware based. You’ll need a new Atmos-enabled receiver/processor with a renderer that takes the meta-data found in audio of supporting movies and pushes it to not only to the ceiling speakers, but also the rest of your home theatre speakers.

You’ll need to purchase Atmos-enabled ceiling mounted speakers or Atmos-enabled speakers that point up and bounce the sound off the ceiling, it’s the same result and it recreates the same 3D audio environment. Also, you will need Dolby Atmos enabled movies:

http://www.dolby.com/us/en/experience/dolby-atmos/movies.html

9. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    Yep, he told me hat he'd had to buy a pair of speakers to add to his present speaker setup when he'd gotten his Onkyo receiver. Oh yes, I think he'd taken Lucy and TMNT from me as well.....at least, I don't see them in my collection anymore.

10. automaticman

automaticman Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Vapor-X
    So there is Atmos-specific encoding on the disc itself then.

Although "Atmos-Enabled" speaker...? That just sounds like a THX stamp of approval. I can't imagine it not working well with any decent ceiling speaker.

11. mezball

mezball Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus RTX 4080

THX certification is outdated, and certainly doesn't warrant the hefty license fee. Most, if not all good quaility AVR/processor's and speaker's made today far exceed THX standards.

12. automaticman

automaticman Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Vapor-X
    Right, I was just pointing out that the term "Atmos-Enabled" makes it sound like it will not work with other speakers, when I doubt that is really the case.

13. mezball

mezball Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus RTX 4080
  14. automaticman

automaticman Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Vapor-X
  15. akbaar

akbaar Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUFF 3080 12Gb
    arent ATMOS is the same as sonic studio 2 offered buy ASUS software? do they realy do the same job in headphones?

16. ASLayerAODsk

ASLayerAODsk Guest

GPU:
    MSI 580 8G
    well Im back, after a hiatus, Now I have Dolby Atmos, DTS:X, and Auro3D :) *Marantz SR7010*
    I got 'Get Even' and talked to Auro the morning of release, and apparently Im the first in the WORLD to have Auro3D on my PC that THEY are aware of...:) Although its a headphone wrapper, similar to what they did on Overwatch with Atmos, well, its a start :) It just sucks that when you set Atmos on your WX sound settings, it kicks out ANY OTHER FORMAT. Sounds like litigation in the making to me, but hey, monopolistic behavior seems to be how things are run these days. Yes, Auro3D is FAR superior to Atmos and DTS:X, although to be fair, I haven't had a LOT of media that supports DTS:X so far, but Atmos seems to be up and coming, and Auro3D is moreso in Europe currently than NAmerica. Having a 9.1/5.1.4 setup is advantageous in some games too, that support it :) or at least that can be upmixed well.