Another look at HPET High Precision Event Timer

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Bukkake, Sep 18, 2012.

1. beppe_7

beppe_7 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980
    it games that i have slight micro stutter. when enabled in windows and bios it makes its worse longer micro stutter. so for now i am keeping it off. :banana:

2. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme

Quit trolling.
    Read post #233, its only 4 posts above yours so you have no excuse.

3. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090
    He's at it in the Windows 8 thread about this too ;)

4. Penal Stingray

Penal Stingray Banned

GPU:
    GTX 680 Tri-Sli-S27A950
    I found this perfect combo

HPET on bios turn on, Hpet on windows Go to CMD and enter this bcdedit /set useplatformclock true and last but not the least download this tool called Set Timer Resolution for windows 8 the default is 1ms putting it to maximum resolution which is .05 ms makes a difference games don't stutter no more. and u can download it here http://www.lucashale.com/timer-resolution/ now those jittering and stuttering when hpet enabled on windows are now gone.

5. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Personally HPET On performs worse in Non-gaming situations for me.

And it gives better performance in many games on a per game basis. Some like FFXIV 1.0 have heavy microstuttering with HPET on.

6. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    would be so much better if this was set permently with a have to always run th program. but then i dont have studders in any game i play other the mmo's

7. SlackerITGuy

SlackerITGuy Guest

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE Radeon R9 Fury
    Just my $0.02

I also messed around with HPET just not that while ago, and while it offered "certain" smoothness in BF3, it also gave horrible spawn stutter, it went away after a min or two, but this happened consistently for the 1st 3 to 4 spawns each round.

8. Raiga

Raiga Maha Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    HPET disabled gives better response time on my system..

With HPET and useplatformclock set to True
    [​IMG]

Without HPET
    [​IMG]

9. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    if your on vista or higher you should use latmon instead that program is know to give wrong readings on vista and higher

10. Xtreme512

Xtreme512 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Super
    I have my hpet enabled in bios always and thats it I didnt change anything in windows 7 x64 or whatever.. should I leave it like that ? is it the best ?

edit: you guys said enabling hpet for windows by cmd is the best but why in earth its not enabled by default if bios hpet is enabled from stock ? :D

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013

11. BABA-The Hacker

BABA-The Hacker Banned

GPU:
    PALIT GTX770 OC 2GB
    64 bit OS running..... 64bit games (remembering Crysis 2 and Von Neumann Architecture).....it should be ON....

12. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    if you have no issue leave it be only reason to start messing with it is if you have games that studdering, or latency spikes causing audio popping/crackling even thats only if those problems bother you enough to bother

13. Xtreme512

Xtreme512 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Super
    actually, I have speaker position popping in my x-fi for years when playing music and scrolling down pages.. BUT if I use ASIO I have no issue at all.. So its has to be HPET ? or just microsoft directsound (or daniel_k who made the drivers :D).. because you know with ASIO there is no interference just sound card and music.

ok that took long... and I wanna ask about core unparking.. is it worth ? I mean are there any FPS improvements in enabling hpet in windows also core unparking ?

14. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    msi 4090
    Your asking questions that have been answered already in this thread pretty much. Have a read instead of people re-typing what has already been written :)

15. Xtreme512

Xtreme512 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Super
    of course I read it its 10 pages not long but I need specific answers for my question above.

16. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    msi 4090
    Well then you would know their is no specific answer then! It seems all systems are quiet different as the 10 pages have proved. You just have to try the various on/off's to see what works best for you. Default works best for me. On in BIOS and off in Windows.

17. Xtreme512

Xtreme512 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Super
    I have no time for testing.. then Im gonna leave it as it is. And how did you test it ? with latency checker ?

18. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    msi 4090
    Latency Mon. Yes.

19. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    :):pc1:

20. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    msi 4090
    Here he goes again with trying to say everything he says is fact for all people. Not so. See previous 10 pages for proof of that.