ROG SWIFT PG278Q Premium Gaming Monitor

Discussion in 'Computer Monitor Forum' started by Pzykotik, May 14, 2014.

1. Pzykotik

Pzykotik Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC RTX 2070 AMP
    There are probably threads for this already, but I've just been Googling it, and I'm SO excited!!

It'll be available Q2 apparently, for around $799... Awesome!!

I can't wait.

2. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    AFAIK it's been delayed till June and I'm still kind of debating whether its worth getting. It's very expensive for a TN panel but it's a brand new panel, the first 8bit TN panel and people who saw it at CES claimed the viewing angles we're significantly better than other TN panels.

The other issues I have is G-Sync and it's future. As it stands right now Nvidia hasn't said whether or not G-Sync will get firmware updates and yet they've mentioned future versions with removed polling.

Also with Freesync on the table and the possibility of most manufacturers switching over to this, I'm begging to wonder if this monitor will eventually just be canceled in favor of a freesync compatible one later this year. I'd personally rather have it support both anyway.

3. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090
    http://www.pcgamer.com/uk/2014/05/14/amd-and-vesa-take-on-nvidias-g-sync-anti-stutter-tech/

I am also eager for this monitor but free sync has got me a little jittery about spending so much money to be limited by propitiatory hardware. Makes you wonder why it's been so delayed. I have been following a thread on overclock.net.

One thing I have noticed about people from Guru3d that is a shame. Not much talk in the way of monitors, specs, etc. I am glad to see it's own thread now though :)

Last edited: May 14, 2014
  4. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Monitor discussion on here has always been behind. When I was shopping for a monitor back in 2006ish I ended up having to go to Hardforum and was recommended a HP IPS panel (23 inch, don't remember the model) I asked about it here and all I got were responses that I was dumb for buying a $800 monitor.

I eventually bought Hazro on recommendation from I think John the admin here, which is probably the nicest monitor I ever owned. I broke it on one of my trips up to school and I replaced it with a U2410.

With every monitor purchase I always came here for recommendations but honestly it wasn't until the Korean monitors that IPS panels even became a popular discussion here. Now it's funny because nearly every thread on a TN is the exact opposite of what it used to be.

TN monitors have their place, as a fairly competitive gamer I prefer the faster response of a TN over IPS which is why I'm heavily considering replacing my BenQ with this monitor. I just don't like the idea that it kind of locks me into purchasing Nvidia cards only in the future.

But yeah I wish there were more stuff here with monitors.

5. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Will keep my eye on this. I will be looking for a new monitor soon

6. Pzykotik

Pzykotik Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC RTX 2070 AMP
    http://techreport.com/news/25878/nvidia-responds-to-amd-free-sync-demo

Above is quite an interesting article on free-sync.

Personally I'm not bothered by it, I always buy Green Team anyway, so getting "stuck" with a Gsync monitor isn't a problem for me. Neither is it being a TN panel... I sit in front of my monitor, so viewing angles again aren't particularly useful to me.

This bad boy appears to tick all the boxes for me!

7. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    msi 4090
    The only box it does not tick is the usual bad black level of IPS and TN's :(

8. Pzykotik

Pzykotik Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC RTX 2070 AMP
    I've never really had problems with black levels... Maybe I just don't pay enough attention, but as long as you calibrate properly, is it such a big deal?

9. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    msi 4090
    It can be if your a little fussy because you have had Plasma, VA panels or CRT. I have and I can't stand grey/blacks instead of deep blacks.

Last edited: May 15, 2014
  10. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I can't stand the viewing angles on tn monitors even if I'm sat right in front of it you'll never have perfectly uniform image across the screen. Unless something dramatic has happened in tn world in the last year.

11. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    msi 4090
    Oh god I forgot about that with TN. The bigger the monitor the worse it got too.

12. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    msi 4090
  13. Kronvict

Kronvict Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 SLI
    I believe he is referring to the PB287Q in that regard for Mid June.

Nooooooooooooo!!!!!! This was tweeted yesterday.

https://twitter.com/ASUSUSA/status/468817571421356032

At this rate it will keep getting pushed back till X-Mas. :mad:

Last edited: May 22, 2014
  14. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Honestly if they announce at CES that they will also support Freesync then I think the wait is fine, otherwise I dunno. I really hate that this monitor is essentially locking me into Nvidia in the future.

15. Kronvict

Kronvict Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 SLI
    I feel that asus is really dropping the ball lately on its new ROG products. The ROG front base hasn't been in stock since newegg first got it in and sold out, The ROG Swift PG278Q has been constantly pushed back ever since its first speculated release timeframe with promises of "Soon" for the past 4 to 5 months since it was announced, The ROG Armor Mechanical keyboard is nowhere to be seen or heard from since it was teased at Computex last year and now i have yet to see the ASUS ROG MATRIX GTX 780Ti Platinum in the US market while currently available in other regions. I am losing my faith in Asus :(

16. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    msi 4090
    They can take all the time they want with the monitor. I would rather they got it right.

17. Pzykotik

Pzykotik Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC RTX 2070 AMP
    This. Aside from the fact that I WANT IT NOW!

A lot of sites say it's slated for next month... So, fingers crossed!

Last edited: May 30, 2014
  18. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    Wouldn't you need a second 780 to handle 100+ fps at 1440p?

Perhaps three? :p

19. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    msi 4090
    You're probably right. That is why I am thinking of trying the Eizo Foris FG2421 again as that is 1080p and a great black level for most of the time.

1440p is not all that. Games look good but not that good considering how much performance you lose and you only have a few high end graphics card choices. You must spend hundreds and hundreds to get a good frame rate @ 1440p.

20. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    I've never seen a 1440p monitor in action myself, i don't know anyone personally that has one.