Swap 5.1 system for a 2.1?

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by Adil0n, Jun 15, 2015.

1. Adil0n

Adil0n Guest

GPU:
    POV GTX 470 1Gb
    I currently own a 5.1 speaker system, a creative inspire 5100, if I recall... and I've been wanting to change them for a time now, cables are old, noise gets in and volume controls has always been it's weakest point imo.

Since I have a smaller desktop now, I thought of changing them for a 2.1 system besides a 5.1, cause in the end you can virtualize surround and also I can't position the rear satellites where they should be.

I'm torn between on Logitech Z623, Gigaworks T40 or Gigaworks T3...

What do you think guys?

2. Tacoboy

Tacoboy Guest

GPU:
    AMD 7800
    What is your budget?

3. Adil0n

Adil0n Guest

GPU:
    POV GTX 470 1Gb
    250 euros tops, It's what those Gigaworks T3 costs, my focus for them will be playing games so I'd like the fact that those tree have good bass levels (for what I've seen on the net) but I'm open to suggestions

4. RagDoll_Effect

RagDoll_Effect Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI

5. Adil0n

Adil0n Guest

GPU:
    POV GTX 470 1Gb
    Been looking at them and also some in reviews since their construction seems to be really good, they seem nice but I can't find a retalier for them that's why I though about the logitech z623, they seem to be very similar and both are THX certified.

6. Adil0n

Adil0n Guest

GPU:
    POV GTX 470 1Gb
  7. RagDoll_Effect

RagDoll_Effect Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
  8. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I also had a 5.1 system but didnt have room for 5.1 speakers so I got myself a pair of Gigaworks T20. Really good speakers and it's nice to only have a 2.0 system. The bass in these speakers is far better than I thought. Good value for money!

If i'd buy something more expensive I'd pick Argon 7450A, 6340A or Octave 3A depending on budget.

9. Adil0n

Adil0n Guest

GPU:
    POV GTX 470 1Gb
    Digging and diving more into this world, I've found that buying a good set of speakers it's a hell lot expensive, but wow! seems that results can be incredible... but it has clarify me, what should I look for.

Ok, so I'm looking for good bass levels since gaming tends to use it a lot so it's convenient that I stick to 2.1 systems.

I'll discard the logitech's since their full plastic construction seems really ugly to me, and the THX cert it's only to make them more expensive and also an attempt to compete with the Klipsch.

I'll also have to discard the Klipsch, not because I don't like them... but because I have to buy them from the UK and shipping will drain the hell out of me, and I hate paying shipping fees :(

I'll discard the Edifier 330D, because they seem to be a bit flawed, while not horrible and certainly good looking, I still think I can get more value for it's price.

Now I'm getting my eyes on the Hercules XPS 101.

EDIT: And also taking a peek on Audioengine and some studio monitors...

Opinions, thoguhts, recommendations?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2015
  10. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    I personally use a Numark N-wave 360 my self. They do a goob job, but of course they have flaws, like the cable used to connect the speakers together and that light that i thought you could turn off.

I only got them because of a deal I saw.I wish I at-least gotten Cerwin vega XD5 or the N-wave 580s. JBL has some studio monitors that suppose to be good, the LSR 305 but the total would prolly make your wallet scream.

11. Adil0n

Adil0n Guest

GPU:
    POV GTX 470 1Gb
    And those JBL made me scream indeed, but I think I have more knowledge in this matter, and I think I'll go the hard way and buy a pair of studio monitors and latter I'll add a sub

Right now, I've narrowed my decision between these two:
    http://www.thomann.de/gb/behringer_ms20_multimedia_lautsprecher.htm

http://www.thomann.de/gb/presonus_eris_45.htm

12. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    Also you might wanna read a couple of reviews on them from muiti sources so you know what your getting into so you know what to expect. Also i don't think you mention what you will be plugging these into.

13. Adil0n

Adil0n Guest

GPU:
    POV GTX 470 1Gb
    I have an Asus Xonar essence stx on the way, I guess I can plug these kind of speakers into it?

14. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    Yea you can you just use a RCA cable and plug it into the RCA on the card.

15. lexer98

lexer98 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070 - WC
    Another options in studio monitor can be a KRK 4 , Samson Media One 4" or Mackie CR4 (personally i like the mackie)

16. Adil0n

Adil0n Guest

GPU:
    POV GTX 470 1Gb
    Been looking at them too, I really like the KRK rokit, but doesn't come in pairs and gets way out of my budget...

Now I'm wondering, since I'm a noob on this matter, what's best to connect these kind of speakers? jack, RCA or optical? Because if optical it's going to make a difference I'll jump for those Beringher, if not, I think I'll pick those Presonus, I really like how they look and has good reviews, well both have... But I like the presonus more

17. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    Since you bought a Xonar STX using analog would be the best choice for the studio monitors. As the sound card is a very good source which would make studio monitor shine when you use analog. If you use Digital then the STX would go to waste as all it will be doing is sending a signal over to the MS20's and the MS20's will be doing all the work. The audio quality would then be based on the dac that is inside the MS20 and not the Xonar STX, The STX would be a better source then whats inside the MS20.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
  18. Adil0n

Adil0n Guest

GPU:
    POV GTX 470 1Gb
    So analog it is... and Presonus wins for me! I'll buy them next month :)

19. Adil0n

Adil0n Guest

GPU:
    POV GTX 470 1Gb
    In the end I went for Audioengine 5+ bamboo style... I got them on a special offer so I added the D1 DAC from the same brand and everything cost me the same as the Presonus ones, and so far I'm really really happy with the result!

I think I even might get the chance to buy the S8 subwoofer... do you think it's worth it guys?

20. CoolChris001

CoolChris001 Guest