Steam Announces Family Sharing

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 13, 2013.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Valve just announced that Steam will soon have family sharing. September 11, 2013 – Steam Family Sharing, a new service feature that allows close friends and family members to share their li...

Steam Announces Family Sharing

2. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    Nice job Steam! I don't hate Origin, have a lot of games on both of them but because things like this Steam is still my main choice when I buy games. Now let's see what EA is going to do with Origin when they see this...

P.S.
    I'm sure A LOT of people will abuse this Steam feature to share games with people they don't know.

3. k37chup

k37chup Member Guru

GPU:
    Palit 4070

If they don't care about "friends" using cheats on their account and then getting vac banned. We will probably see allot of threads about "friends" getting vac bans of people's accounts who didn't think about that :p

4. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Hah I dont even trust my 13 year cousin on my steam account.

Could be usefull for let my uncle on my account to get at the games, he put on my account cause he refused to me his own for his kid ( he thought I was kidding when I said I wont let him play any online game on my account, let alone the CoD games).

5. Chouji

Chouji Guest

GPU:
    19 inch flat screen
    I like this idea. But already i let my little one use my steam account. If only she had my reflexes, but at least she's trying!

6. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    This is a great idea indeed.

Check out this part of Steam EULA:
    Letting a child play using your account is kinda illegal according to that, which is absurd and it sucks. I really like they're changing it.

It happened a few times that a friend of mine has got a game and I got a notification about that which made me curious. He gave me his passes, I played a game a little, then bought it, then my brother played on my account and bought it for himself. I think that they believe in the strength of such sales.

7. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
  8. Chouji

Chouji Guest

GPU:
    19 inch flat screen
    Well, it might be an IP or computer check. Since my runt uses my computer it works out. Steam can't tell the difference.
    But a heads up, i brought my little one up right. ^_^ when she was younger i let her play SNES and playstation games through emulators. She she played through and beat zelda OOT before she was 12. You don't see many kids these day that got to play the good stuff.

9. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    But it only becomes interesting when you can actually play a coop game with one library.
    And with current rules it seems you can't.

10. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Yeah, and they should even pay you for that.