How NOT to install an aftermarket cooler on your GTX 780 ti.

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Andrew LB, Aug 18, 2014.

1. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    My god its not hard to make a custom gpu cooling setup either. Hell Im not bad ass at either. I have done more then 3 cards.
    My 7850
    [​IMG]
    My current 7950
    [​IMG]
    My gtx 470
    [​IMG]

That poor 780ti.

2. Megabiv

Megabiv Guest

GPU:
    GTX980Ti SLI (h²o)
    Ouch, but I bet it'll make him a better PC builder in the future. I remember my first "custom" PC with an Athlon 900mhz where I managed to short the motherboard on the case and fry my CPU because the heat sink wasn't fitted correctly (those old AMD retention clips were awful and required a Flathead screwdriver). After a costly replacement of parts it's safe to say I've improved over the 12 years since that PC.

3. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    Mate I hated those retention clips on those early AMD chips. They sucked. Broken a mobo cause of that.

4. Retow

Retow Active Member

GPU:
    GTX780 ti
    I love the smell...

Of burning silicon in the morning.

5. Odellot

Odellot Guest

GPU:
    TUF RTX 4090 FO48U
    Ouch...That's gotta hurt..Glad I didn't have that problem..Been using NZXT Kraken G10 with my 780Ti's since March...

[​IMG]

6. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    That's quite interesting numbers. Please post your case, number of case fans, location of your case in your room and ambient room temp.

My idle temp is 34 and it goes up to 83 in demanding games and benchmark programs. These temps are regardless if the card is OCd or not.

780Ti SC with ACX cooler. Got an Define R4 with two frontal intake fans, one intake in the bottom and one intake on the side. Exhaust is in the back of the case, that's it. I got my computer on the floor next to my desk and my room temp is 23 degrees.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  7. Dorlor

Dorlor Guest

GPU:
    2x evga 780 ti sc acx
    You could probably improve those temps, if you made the side fan exhaust :)

After i dont have 30c room temp anymore (is 22c now), my max temps are down to 76c with 75% fanspeed.

8. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Tried that, it did nothing to the temps :/

75% fanspeed? :eek: That's quite a lot. Are you using a custom fan curve?

9. Dorlor

Dorlor Guest

GPU:
    2x evga 780 ti sc acx
    I gotta say though... 83c is very hot for a single 780 ti acx, so something is deffo off. When i only have one Card in, the max temp is like 66c at 60% fanspeed. Have you tried replacing TIM ?

Well yeah, 75% fanspeed is more than i really want to use, but from 63% to 72% fanspeed, the fans Rattle like a mofo... so its either 60% fanspeed or 75%... and as i use the Cards in sli, i cant keep them at 60% fanspeed, else the top card will exceed 80c. But yeah, its a custom fancurve :)

10. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Indeed right? But when I talk to my retailer they say that it's normal and I cannot RMA the card.

No I have not, I simply don't dare to do it, especially after that story with the guy who installed a Kraken and got his GPU fried. It's just too risky and the thing is that I wanted to buy a watercooling system but decided to put those plans on hold while waiting for the 880.

Honestly I dont remember at what fanspeed I'm running but I just know that 2000+ RPM is very loud and I dislike loud computers.

11. Dorlor

Dorlor Guest

GPU:
    2x evga 780 ti sc acx
    **** what your retailer says, and contact EVGA directly.

And there is absolutely no risk in replacing the tim. The reason the guy fried his gpu, was because the vrm cooling plate of the acx cooler collides with the round watercooling head... if he had been smart, he would have noticed those 4 screw attachments sticking up, preventing full contact.

12. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Okay man, I might just do that then :)

Aha, that was the reason? I never really understood what it was.

13. redxiii46

redxiii46 New Member

GPU:
    EVGA 780Ti SC ACX
    I had similar temperature to yours with the same card at default clocks, yours is overclocked to boot so they don't seem unreasonable. Mine were 3-4 degrees higher, but I also live in Italy which is not known for having cold summers. Given that you are located in sweden, I'd say the discrepancy of 3-4 degrees sounds reasonable.

Highest I reached on default fan curve, was 81 degrees in Assassin's Creed 4. That was way too much for my liking so I set up a more aggressive curve with precision-x, noise is admittedly high, especially if you have the side-panel of your case off, but I also wear headphones with good isolation so I can barely hear it when the audio is on mute.

14. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    IMO ACX cooler is not the greatest, load temp kinda speaks for itself.
    I mean I get max max 75C (auto fan max 70%, still quiet up to 75%) if Oc'ed to 1200mhz+ in something like RIFT with SupersamplingAA, BF3, BF4 doesnt get it this hot. Im usually bellow 70C 95% of the time.

It idles @ 30-32C regardless if its 20 or 28C in room.

I have HAF932 with stock fans,
    1 front intake,
    1 side intake,
    1 on top as exhaust,
    and on back H90 cooler push pull inside the case.

EDIT: actually now that's its end of summer, it idles at 25C too,

[​IMG]

cpu max temp in 3dmark11 physics @ 4.7ghz

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  15. Dorlor

Dorlor Guest

GPU:
    2x evga 780 ti sc acx
    Which load temps? The temps a guiy with a faulty Card has? Look at the review Hillbert did of the Card.

The only issue the ACX cooler has, Is that it exhausts all the hot air inside the case, making it a bad choice for sli.

But as single Card, the max temps i get is 66c.

16. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    ^ same here, or about there. At 1.20v max temp I get is 66C with custom fan profile... although this is a beefed up version of ACX.