Went from FE to Strix, because I wanted something more quieter and this is what I got

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Terepin, May 24, 2017.

1. Terepin

Terepin Guest

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4070 Ti
    And reviewers still calls it a silent card.

2. Terepin

Terepin Guest

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4070 Ti
  3. GroinShooter

GroinShooter Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SC
    Yeah I had a very similar experience with my STRIX 980 Ti. If you want to have the card running cool-ish, 70 or below that is, the fans have to ramp up insanely high. Not mentioning when SLI'd the card would hit high 90's which made it unbearably loud. In the end I happened to find out there's a design flaw on the STRIX cooler which restricts the cooler to be mounted all the way down even if the screws are as tight as they'll go. Even when I fixed the issue and got full contact with the cooler and GPU the card ran just a few degrees cooler. It's strange as the STRIX fans/cooler seems to work fine on anything below the Ti cards.
    [​IMG]
    ASUS seems to keep using the same fans on the 1080 Ti STRIX as they did on STRIX 980 Ti. Those fans are absolute garbage when compared to the ones on MSI, EVGA etc. cards.

Last edited: May 27, 2017
  4. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

EVGA 1080Ti are not quietest cards as well, friend have FTW and that card is pretty loud when we are compared that card to MSI

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

5. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    Headphones.

6. Terepin

Terepin Guest

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4070 Ti
  7. Terepin

Terepin Guest

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4070 Ti
    5.1 speakers > headphones. And I have both.

8. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    What is this fan noise and 70C temps people speak of????????????????

9. Jawnys

Jawnys Master Guru

GPU:
    asus tuf oc 3090
    Grt the zotac amp extreme very quiet card even when its reving high, cards is low 60 with custom fan curve

10. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    What about losing warranty,dude?????

Great advice.NOT!

This guy,Terepin,has a problem with his Gtx card and some of you came here with troll&roll advices.GG

MSI Gaming X is much better,but yeah the cost could be a little high.

Last edited: May 28, 2017

11. Jawnys

Jawnys Master Guru

GPU:
    asus tuf oc 3090
    i have to say that the fans seems loud on your video, i dont know how much db it is, but its also the type of the sound thats annoying, my zotac amp extreme is fairly inaudible at 70 % even 80 % its barely audible, and the type of sound isnt annoying like the strix shown in the video, ive had only on asus card in the past and it was a gtx 760 and i didnt like the fan noise so i never got an asus card after that, i had msi 970, gigabytes 1070 and zotack amp extreme 1080ti,

i would say that my zotac is definitly in the range of the msi i had for the sound

12. Paulo Narciso

Paulo Narciso Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti
    I think coil whine on this cards are worst than the fan noise.

13. TimmyP

TimmyP Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Just wire you computer through the wall if you can. Seriously. Best decision I ever made in terms of noise. :)

14. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    Not trolling, when I had my 290x in this PC it was on water and I would listen on my speakers, but even then there was fan noise and I use to use headphones often, now with this 1080 I use them all the time.

Terepin already replied that he prefers his 5.1 system so he either swaps it for another brand and HOPES it is to his liking or puts it under water. There are cheap kits to adapt AIO water coolers for GFX card use.

15. Witcher29

Witcher29 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    Not if u have expensive speakers worth over 500 euro per piece and a soundblaster x7.

MSI is the way to go just what netherwind said. The sound of the fans are more naturel no buzz sound a grom or bee sound like all other brands.

I had gigabyte g1 gaming before the gtx 980 ti they where jumbo jets i tell u.
    These gaming x in sli are more silent then a single g1 gaming card from gigabyte :D

Last edited: May 29, 2017

16. Gromuhl'Djun

Gromuhl'Djun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070ti
    I feel you man. I have a strix 980 and a aorus 1080ti (non-xtreme)

While reviews said that both these cards were pretty silent and cool. Not so, they are either silent OR cool.

My aorus was very cool with high fan speeds and a jet engine sound. Or it was slower and moderately audible.
    The strix was never really silent. And never as cool as in the reviews. The cooling was crap.
    The only way to get moderately silent is either a solution like a kraken G10 with an aio watercooler or something like an Arctic Accelero Xtreme.

I use an Accelero Xtreme III on both the 980 and the 1080ti.
    The 980 tops at 55°C.
    The 1080ti tops at 65°C.
    This while the fans are barely audible. They are as loud as my casefans, which are spinning in silent mode.

I cannot understand why there haven't been more aircoolers like the accelero, with both decent temps ánd acoustics... but pre-installed so you don't have to deal with the hassle of replacing a cooler.

17. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Agreed.

By default I run all chassis fans at 50%, the CPU cooler at PWM and the card at auto which when idle makes it a silent computer. When playing WoW I don't hear any fans, instead I hear this coilwhine which unfortunately is disturbing.

Tomorrow I'll take it back to the store so they can evaluate it.