Nvidia surround is hopelessly broken. Nvidia issues. Poor drivers. SLI issues.

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by maxstep, Aug 24, 2015.

1. maxstep

maxstep Guest

GPU:
    4090 + LG OLED 65
    Running DELL U3014, 3008WFP-HC and U3011 (8200x1600 8K surround) via triple dp cables running on dual Zotac AMP! Extreme 980Ti’s. I “upgraded” from dual AMD R9 290X.

1) Upon restarting or powering down the computer, only one screens loads at 640x480. Subsequent driver reinstallation coupled with full powering down of both PC and screens (physically unplugging the hardware) fixes it usually.
    Sometimes takes 10 tries. Sometimes one of screens still works at 640x480 while the other two screens run at 2560x1600. Surround screen is, of course, disabled, along with SLI.
    So after the n-th driver installation, which finally powers on all the screens with proper resolution, I also have to enable surround and SLI.
    Never happened with AMD.

2) Surround vsync is horribly broken – I get atrocious, non-standard ‘surround’ tearing with it enabled. MUCH worse than usual lack of vsync. Been broken for close to a year. Playing without vsync on triple screens is impossible, everything tears to hell.
    I’m forced to play on ONE screen. Windows is broken as well, cause everything is vsynced and alt-tab or win-tab or chrome artifact as hell when vsync is applied. Etcetera.
    Never happened with AMD.

3) Custom resolution button is greyed out and doesn’t work – been broken for a year. Dual 980ti DO NOT have the horsepower to run 8K.
    Overriding each screen to work at 1080p would be flawless (5760x1080 without bezel compensation) and I would get 60 fps on ultra – broken.
    Never happened with AMD.

4) I can’t even find bezel compensation in drivers! Used to be there!!!
    Never happened with AMD.

5) madvr is broken. Nvidia removed nnedi3 support literally few driver releases ago by forgetting to bundle the cl_nv_d3d9_sharing interop. I mostly use cards for video watching. Coupled with lack of vsync, I simply can’t.
    Never happened with AMD.

6) BF4 crashes within minutes with the dreaded directx error.
    Never happened with AMD.

7) Random and weird FPS drops in many, many newer games. Out of the blue. Cards are below 75C.
    Never happened with AMD.

Selling the nvidia cards. Cards themselves are good I suppose, all the issues that I have are experienced by other poor folks running nvidia surround.
    Worthless cards.

2. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Not having a problem with nnedi3 performance on my 980. Then again, I don't use it all that often either since I don't like it much.

Sounds like W10 is your problem

3. maxstep

maxstep Guest

GPU:
    4090 + LG OLED 65
    nnedi3 does not work for a single person in the world right now on the latest nvidia drivers on win10

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/860801/geforce-drivers/nvidia-dropped-the-support-for-cl_nv_d3d9_sharing-in-their-windows-10-drivers-making-nnedi3-unusable/

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1735521

http://www.station-drivers.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&view=topic&catid=18&id=1222&Itemid=255

if you bring up madvr OSD with ctlr-j you will see.

4. xeph

xeph Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 1480/7200
    im getting bf4 crashes too, with my 970 PITA, and it doesnt like shadowplay, i get crashes when i try to use shadowplay with bf4, i feel your pain but i think it is win 10 related

5. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    Don't use a OS a week after its release if you can't deal with a bit of breakage. Its just common sense. :)

6. maxstep

maxstep Guest

GPU:
    4090 + LG OLED 65
    Absolutely, I understand. Thing is, the issues that bug me the most, namely all of them, but nnedi3, also happen on 7,8 and 8.1
    But thank you for the comment...

7. maxstep

maxstep Guest

GPU:
    4090 + LG OLED 65
    Still no news about surround vsync? Would someone from nvidia at least acknowledge the issue please?

8. klepp0906

klepp0906 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 2080TI
    who wants to tell him this isnt near 8K? either way i feel your pain. look up my handle on the geforce forums. ive been on their ass for a LOOOONG time.

spent 10k on my recent build (quad titan blah blah blah)

long story short - never ever do it again. SLI is less ofa problem than surround but surround all but requires SLI (as im sure your aware) and surround+sli rarely works and when it does its bug ridden or performance ridden on a game by game basis.

nevermind both technologies have been around a decade or so.

nvidia dumps all they have into hardware at the cost of customer service, software development, and quality control.

I built a trifire 290x rig as a backup PC (went amd specifically for comparisons sake) and while it may seem bias' and jaded (considering ive used intel/nvidia all my life you can forget that) the amd rig w/ eyefinity/crossfire runs tremendously better. Not that it doesnt have issues of its own, its just that none of them are straight up crippling things.

(now ill go read your post :p)

I spent a year and a half working with 3 different nvidia employees via email and PM and have 100s of separate pieces of correspondence, data, logs, screenshots that have gone to them in an effort to fix problems their drivers have with ffxiv. To this day it isnt fixed. I did find a hack of a work around and proceeded to forward them that information in hopes that it would help them implement a real fix (required renaming files so i assume it was something as simple as a sli profile naming issue) yet its still borked.

This info is all over the place for people willing to look, the fanboys just ignore it. (i know, i was one lol.)

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
  9. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    I can only add that I myself have had way better experience with multi GPU and multi monitor setups on AMD GPUs than on Nvidia ones. If I went for a multi GPU setup again and/or wanted to go for a Multi-monitor setup, I'd definitely go with AMD GPUs.
    Nvidia usually causes less trouble with a single GPU setup, although recently the gap seems to have closed quite a bit with AMD drivers getting better and Nvidia drivers getting worse.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
  10. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    Time to go Fury, Fury X or Nano CFX? I think it will come out CHEAPER when you sell those 2 980 Ti and go AMD again.

11. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    nvidia just needs to stop putting out so many different version cards. and worry more about driver quality.

12. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Yes, because it is clear that the same people are doing both cards and drivers.