What to upgrade...?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by blitz72, Dec 21, 2014.

1. blitz72

blitz72 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Hello all. Just wondering which way I should go. My current setup is in my profile. I was thinking of upgrading(1st of the year) just my video card to a 970(maybe a 980) or keeping my 770 and changing up my mb and cpu and go "Blue". What do you all think? Which would be the best route(biggest gain if there is one)? I can only do one or the other. :bang: Thanks for any advice, info....

Would a 970/980 be bottlenecked by my current cpu?

Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
  2. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Go blue. You'll see some very nice gains. A 6300 at 4.5 can feed a 970/980 decently, but it will be the limiting factor in anything CPU bound (For example, anything Ubisoft from the last 6 months).

3. blitz72

blitz72 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    That's what I've really been leaning towards. This cpu has been pretty good, but it's def starting to struggle. My memory should be ok for an Intel board and whatnot? I'm pretty much on a tight budget, but tax time usually allows me to do a bit of an upgrade. I can just reuse my cooler, you think it should be plenty for a blue cpu. I was kinda looking at that mb from ecs, the one just reviewed here http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/ecs-z97-machine-motherboard-review,1.html (ECS Z97 Machine) and not really sure on the cpu.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
  4. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Yep, your memory will work just fine. It probably has an XMP profile already. Your cooler will also be more than sufficient for any of the devil's canyon CPU's. They don't run hot at all at stock.

As for CPU, how much are you willing to spend? I'd go with at least the 4690K to get your money's worth.

5. blitz72

blitz72 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
  6. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    $450 buys you a 4790K with a decent board, or a 4690K with a really good board (Or more RAM). You'll have to decide if you want the benefits of the i7 or not.

The memory you have will work just fine.

7. blitz72

blitz72 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Ok cool. I'm gonna be doing some looking around and prolly be posting some links to items tomorrow(as I just looked at clock and realized 5am comes quick. I do thank you for your time and input and look forward to more! Have a great one and I'll b back. (one last quick question, what's the difference between the i5 and the i7?)

8. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    No problem. The difference between the i5 and the i7 is the default clock speed, the L3 cache (6MB vs 8MB), and hyperthreading (an i7 only feature). Hyperthreading gives you 8 logical cores instead of just the four on the i5. It makes multithreaded apps perform a lot better.

Gaming wise, the i7 is gaining more and more traction with today's CPU demanding titles. But the i5 is still more than good enough as it stands.

9. blitz72

blitz72 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Real quick... lol I know the mb isn't top line, but looks good and HH gave it a pretty good review. Maybe with that pop in a little more mem too???

[​IMG]

10. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    The motherboard should be fine. And you can add more memory if you want. It's not necessary unless you use programs that eat memory like it's a buffet.

11. blitz72

blitz72 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Finally

Well about 2 months later I'm finally doing the upgrade. Stuff should be here this week sometime! I went with this stuff...

CPU
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117372

Motherboard
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128714

Memory
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231428

Gonna keep everything else. Gonna give my bro the 6300 and MB I have now to go with his 7950 vapor-x(should b a good combo for him). The parts I ordered were a combo and had lower memory(speed) included, was gonna give one set to him, should I put the new memory in mine or keep the bit faster stuff I have now? Thanks for the input. Can't wait.

12. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    All solid choices. You'll be very happy with your new stuff. I'd keep your faster memory from your current build. Haswell loves fast memory. You'll see bigger gains than he will.

13. blitz72

blitz72 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Thanks again for your input. Roger that on the memory. My bro is gonna be upgrading from a Phenom x3 720 2.8ghz, Amd hd6870 1gb, and 8gb pc2(?) to my old mb/cpu/and that 1600 memory plus the shappire 7950 vapor-x boost 3gb. Should b a huge boost for him. OK I'll stop rambling now. I'll b back. LoL :nerd:

14. TyrantofJustice

TyrantofJustice Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    my only concern with your build is if you get a big cooler at some point that ram will not fit due to the high heat sinks... I went with the Ares for that reason

other wise looks great ... enjoy

15. blitz72

blitz72 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    I'm keeping the current memory that I have now in my profile(which has a lot smaller profile) This memory:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231550

I also have a Cooler Master V6GT cooler, the people at Gigabyte said I would have no probs. Thanks a lot for your reply! On a side note the CPU showed up today!!! :banana: Now I gotta wait for the rest, grrrr(lol). Coming from 2 different states. Oh the waiting! Have a great day/night all.

16. blitz72

blitz72 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    It lives!!!!!

Woot it's official!!! I'm now running with the blue team!!! I've got tree letters to type!!! O M G!!!!!! The difference is like night and day!!!! As of now I just running it at stock speeds. Any ideas/suggestions on overclocking/things I can do to tweak a bit more(like certain bios settings)? The bios just blew my mind lol, soooo different! Haven't tried much but I did toss FC4 on and holy cow what a difference, of course I can't max the textures, but everything else I pretty much can and not a lick of stutter! Sry been busy, just got it installed and system redone last night late. One happy camper here! :banana:

17. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    Glad you enjoy it. I'll be joining the blue team soon aswell.

18. TyrantofJustice

TyrantofJustice Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    I was always for the red team but they are lacking so bad i had to switch years back .... then went back and switched againg back to blue

19. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Now start overclocking. Get a 40$ 212 Evo and push that sucka to 4.5ghz. Then you'll see the real difference.

My Sandy is at 5Ghz, it's a great chip. Been running it for 2 years now. I just dont see the reason why would i upgrade until i see what Skylake can do.

20. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Congrats. Enjoy the far superior hardware.