My rigs's longevity

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Rubidium, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Rubidium

Rubidium Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 760 SC /w ACX
    Hello all, i build a gaming rig last month and i wanted you to state your SUGGESTION/GUESS on howlong will it last for me(of ypu can include a reason, this will be awesome)? I know time could only tell, but giving a suggesting wont harm. Here are some info,

My rig specs: CPU: Core i5-4570
    Mobo : ASUS Z87-k
    GPU: EVGA gtx 760 sc /w acx cooler
    PSU: Seasonic M1211 bronze certified 80 plus
    RAM: G.skill ripjaws 8 gb dual channel (2x4gb) 1600 Mhz CL9
    no SSD

I play all sorts of games(including most graphically demanding ones) Crysis 3, metro LL, witcher 2, gta iv, etc..

I play @ 1280x1024, i know that is so bad but i got used to it, i have this one from nearly 5 years, so make your suggestion build on that res (maybe try 1600x900 also but more than this, i dont think so).

I dont mind playing games at low IF their graphics at low are awesome like crysis 3 and bf3. However, some games when set on low, they look so bad and lose their graphical awesomeness, as gta iv, on those games i dont intend to play on low but on most games that look great at low(and i cant even notice difference between their low and ultra), i can play at low.

Okay, let me start this as the first guess, i think it will last for 4-5 years(this was before seeing watchdogs system requirements) After checking out watch dogs system requirements,i was like :bang: and i will say 2-3 years xD, the reason is mainly my res and that i can play on low no AA, ok i hope you will move on guys..

Btw, if this is the wrong section for the post, i wish someone would inform me and i will move it to the right one, but i found this the most suitable.

2. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    If you don't mind playing on low graphics then it should last several years at that resolution.

3. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    u have a k version cpu?

i'd def look into a bigger resolution..decent 22inch at least. difference should be pretty amazing for you...

something like a Asus VX229H 22" Widescreen AH-IPS (around £150).

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
  4. ElFishoIII

ElFishoIII Guest

1 and a half years before you start really wanting an upgrade. Just a guess though.
    That 760 isn't amazing (there is always SLI though) and if your 4670 isn't a K it won't be relevant for as long as one that is a K. Also, get a real monitor man. Just because you're used to something doesn't mean it's good for you :D

Edit: Also, 8GB might be getting pushed sooner than later.

5. ViperXtreme

ViperXtreme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Dual UV
    haha same here, and if i will get a new one, ill get a 20" 1600 x 900 as well.

Ive tried my sis's 23" Samsung display @1080p and i couldn't get used to it, maybe because i tend to sit near the monitor.

As for longetivity, it will depend on how devs would use the available hardware, the next gen consoles might be a good benchmark on how it would go in the future (as seen on watchdogs system requirements)

6. menaceuk

menaceuk Guest

GPU:
    AMD 6950 2GB
    Have to say people in here seem to be very conservative in their guesses, but I say 4-5 years playing at that res, and assuming you do not mind sub 60FPS, with little issues maxing out 99% of games. Obviously as the years roll by you will likely have to tweak those settings more more though.

7. Rubidium

Rubidium Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 760 SC /w ACX
    The reason why i dont want to get a new screen is that like ViperXtreme, i tend to sit near the monitor, and since my hardware isnt that perfect, i think that res is suitable for me, but ty for the suggestion anyway

wowoowow, dont talk about my lovelt gtx 760 in that way xD. I live in egypt, the hardware here is very expensive, i bought my gpu for 350$ (normally 250$), let alone the rest of the computer. And as for the currency, 350$ isnt eZ at all over here, for example i will have to wait for another 4 years if i need to upgrade the whole build and im not in poverty section of the society # bad economy :/ i spent a lot in it then to find my cpu cores in the minimum requirements of watch dogs -.- Btw, fx 8350 and i5-4570 nonK had the same price over here, so i went for the intel as it had the better performance on most games and i thought that coding a game to utilise 8 cores would take long time from devs(which im still convinced with), i wish i wasnt wrong with my choice, but it seems i was...

FINALLY, found someone gaming @ 1280x1024 in 2013 xD. Ya, i am eagerly waiting the benchmarks of cpu especially for watch dogs, want to know by which extent the fx 8350 might surpass my cpu i5-4570 non K, after mine was the superior one, lets hope it wont do it with large values, i will be disappointed. About the gpu, i think im ok with it on that res, hope this wont differ soon as well :S

8. 3dPlayer

3dPlayer Banned

GPU:
    Have
    That's three of us then as i also play at 1280*1024 on my beloved gaming 17 inch who costs 250$ in 2006 or 7. I got used to it because i used to play a lot of CSS and the input lag on this one is much lower than the other panels i have in home. The best part is that, the 7850 1270mhz i have at this res. has the same fps as the 7970 oced at fullhd.

9. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    watch dogs system requirements are no way near true!!!!

10. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    WTH...this numbers already hurting my eyes badly :eek3: ...but I must ask - for the love of Great Lord Darth Sidious, WHY?!..why are you still using that res, dude?!

11. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    The advantage of using a lower resolution is that you don't need a beast of a system to run games with most, if not all, of their settings maxed and with AA too. I would recommend upgrading to at least a widescreen display though, something like 1680x1050 or 1680x900, because a lot of modern games don't cater for 4:3 these days so you may end up having to play them letterboxed.

12. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    @Darren Hodgson,
    i know...but look at that dude's rig. That's why i'm wondering, why and such...

13. Bukkake

Bukkake Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 8GB
    well playing at that res your system should last another 4 - 7 years at least.

14. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    For longevity you should go for a 770 or a 780. I know it sounds a bit harsh but compared to a x60 series card, those always have that extra bit of raw power that'll help your system last longer.

Or you could go for the 760 and only upgrade the gfx card to a 860 or 960gtx or AMD equivelant when they release in a few years and that 760 is starting to show it's age.

15. ViperXtreme

ViperXtreme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Dual UV
    yesh, playing at low native res will have its benefits in the long run ^__^
    I mostly go for midrange tho, ever since. And normally upgrade 2-3 years after depeneding on the situation. With the advent of the new consoles tho, things may change rapidly than before.

16. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    i guess your 660 is more than enough for 900 or 1080p gaming, it's gonna take until mid to late in the next gen till we see what you're talking about, that's a long time to go.

17. Crowbar

Crowbar Guest

GPU:
    MSi R9 290 GAMING
    I also play on 1280x1024 on a 17" lcd monitor. I got this monitor last year for 20 eur and before I had a 17" crt, which barely worked. I play on this res, because I don't have money for a bigger monitor and besides goin' over to bigger resolutions, would mean, that I have to lower the image setting or upgrade and I just ain't got the money for that. :D

18. Rubidium

Rubidium Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 760 SC /w ACX
    I think mostly because my computer arrangement is strange that im forced to sit near the scree,, i already had a 1600x1200 screen from 2 years, i tried to use it but it was ridiculous, i cant just get along with it :p . Another thing that i can benefit from this in the way viper mentioned of decreasing load on gpu, since its not the best gpu ever(no offence, i noticed that you have similar one :p) but its not the best for gaming its the best for what i can afford at least

About that, i really didnt understand what you said about this ratio, do you mean the aspect ratio and how is this related to gaming? If you can explain more or relate an article, i would be grateful :)

19. Crowbar

Crowbar Guest

GPU:
    MSi R9 290 GAMING
    What he meant, is that you should consider moving to a widescreen display, since most of the media today is all in the 16:9 aspect ration and viewing it on a 4:3 monitor has the downside of having black bars in the bottom and the top of the screen, while watching a movie for example. Here's an example, maybe this will paint the picture.

[​IMG]

20. Rubidium

Rubidium Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 760 SC /w ACX
    ^ hey that was really helpful, thanks ^^ and since you play on 1280x1024 as well, maybe we will enjoy the black bars soon xD