Star Citizen biggest event of year start in 1H, link

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by XenthorX, Oct 9, 2016.

1. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    https://www.twitch.tv/starcitizen

Pre-show start in 30min. Star Citizen is an all-around-sim, from First person shooter to space-sim-dogfighter.

It's an MMORPG with Procedural planet, not billions of planet like no-man sky, but hand-crafted landscape and building on pre-defined procedural shape.

Tonight they'll show a part of the solo-campaign game Squadron 42 starring Gary Oldman, Mark Hamill, Gillian Anderson, Mark Strong, ... and the procedural planet tech expected to go live by the end of the year.

Star Citizen is THE most crownfunded game ever (over 126 Million dollars raised) and is pushing the technological boundaries of current video games. They teased us that their procedural planet tech might deliver Crysis-quality level full explorable planets, in fully multiplayer/MMORPG gamemode.
    Seamless experience, no loading, from FPS ground to deepest space planet, all that with your friends :D.

Tonight is gonna be huge, if you're intrigued or frustrated by No Man's Sky, tonight is the night!

Star Citizen is now developped by CIG which grows to over 350 employee by now, and a HUGE part are former Crytek employees, they've taken Cry-engine to a next level and compltely branched out from a while ago. Their game-engine is so different it's now named 'Star-Engine'. Among the big changes there's 64 bits positionning, localized physic-grid (walk in spinning ship flying around a planet, it's unique, only Star Citizen have this tech), some really novative shaders handling, and facial technology at the best of what the industry.

Can't wait for tonight stream! Live from Los Angeles!

2. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Spoiler ALERT!

I have it on good authority that an open beta will be announced for March 17, 2025.

:funny:

3. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    #facepalm

4. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    it's happening !!

5. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Citizen CON 2946...LOL

All this preshow hype needs to end...show needs to start.

Loved concept of the Dragonfly.

6. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    2946, is that the year it will finally be done?

7. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    The procedural generation sure has come a long way. Still some pop in and graphics issues, but overall I'm very impressed.. driving on the planet now and its super smooth and detailed.

Looks incredible

8. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    You sure you want to tell the truth here?

Most people just want to rant and rave.

9. nm+

nm+ Don Cappuccino

GPU:
    old
    DNF for a new generation. To be fair DNF actually came out eventually.

10. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Now Star Citzen is many things but it sure can't be compared to DNF. Even if DNF could have been everything it should have been it would never have been of the same scope that SC is promising to be.

DNF is a game of limited ambition that was just piss poor... plain and simple SC is a game of massive ambition that, in a worse case scenario, will be brought down by its over ambition.

11. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    I've become REALLY good at debunking the nonsense that people spew about this game.. its probably because its so easy to point out people who have no idea what they're talking about but proceed to speak about the game with their stark lack of knowledge and make themselves look stupid.

Not referencing anyone here on G3D for the record, just saying haha.

Also not saying that there aren't any reasons to still be skeptical, but you have to give credit where its due.. they have come a long damn way and the proof is there.

12. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Give me $125m+ and, I would have come a lot farther and further; a lot sooner and cleaner.

I think you could say that about anyone who has access to a bank manager, head hunters and someone who can write and prepare a professional and complete business plan. So I know I'm not special, yet know I would have had a workable game launched about 3 years ago, and of course would have researched how the player-base was and is playing the game I had launched. From there, I would have determined what DLC to create and push to the consumers, and done research on knowing what new content would bring more people into the game. As it's a multi-player game, this is important to existing players - as without new players to play with and against, the fully grounded and designed game mechanics would fail, and they would leave the game.

Additionally, I would be keeping a keen eye on the finances, so that $125m that I owe would have made itself back, or be long on the way to getting back to a + instead of the minus it currently is.

Y'see, I think that is the key difference. I do not see development investment as income, I see it as development investment, not units sold. This is money I owe, so the more (and better) I work to make the game, the less money is needed to bring the game to market and develop it.

Simple question I would ask myself every day would be something along the lines of: "What do I need to do today?" and more importantly "What is stopping me?" followed by the incredibly simple question "How do I remove the thing that is stopping me?".

They are -$125 million, yet the way CI is talking, they have made $125m+.

They haven't - and they regurgitation of their PR by people over the last 3 years is astonishing. If you keep telling someone something, they will believe it. If you keep telling someone something, they will believe it. If you keep telling someone something, they will believe it. If you keep telling someone something, they will believe it. If you keep telling someone something, they will believe it. If you keep telling someone something, they will believe it. If you keep telling someone something, they will believe it. If you keep telling someone something, they will believe it.

You hear the rhetoric, platitudes and sheer commonplace truisms enough, talking about the woes of game development - you start to believe it. Most people would just put it down to bad management and inept video game development.

I've said it so many times, but I simply can't wait for the final game reviews to come out so this project can be judged. I am also expecting CR to sell the company like he did the last company he had [Digital Anvil] where he sold it and then left the company with the money and disappeared for 10 years. He left behind a terrible game, with no future and blamed everyone else - yet during the interviews was spinning a good yarn about the game Freelancer.

So, ten years rolls by, and instead of being hard coding his new game - he hasn't and now expects everyone (except himself) to fund the new game - and when he sells CI, and bags the cash, I also expect him to blame (again) everyone else about the game failing.

Like I say. If you keep telling someone something, they will believe it.
    :deadhorse:

13. Pete J

Pete J Master Guru

GPU:
    Some of those as well
    Hahahaha! Very good. Now get over yourself, because I really, really think you overestimate your abilities.

Anyway - back to waiting...

14. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    If you mean: the ability to approach a business manager and consultant to write a business plan, who in turn commit to research and document their work, in accordance to the financial ombudsmen and legal 'appeasement' for submission?

If that is what you mean, then no; I am not overestimating.

I leave that to amateurs and flim-flam artists...but what I've stated is what anyone is capable of, and I am not special. Sadly, lying and deceiving people is also what anyone is capable of....

Don't take it from me, go ask your business advisor at your bank next time you are due to visit them.

Prove me wrong.

15. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    FWIW, I've never seen so much news for a game that isn't close to being ready/sold. Even if I skip reading them, there's a plethora of stories.

Over-saturation.