Titan Xp Benchmarks and OC

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Stickman116, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Stickman116

Stickman116 Active Member

GPU:
    Titan X Pascal
    Is HH going to make a benchmark and OC article for the new Titan Xp? I've always enjoyed reading those and use the OC settings provided as a start point for my own OC.

I'm surprised that there are no comprehensive benchmarks online yet. It's been almost a week since release. The only ones online are the same ones repeated over and over.

1. Tomb Raider with the Chinese text.
    2. Furmark fire strike and 3DMark test images.
    3. Reddit post with fire strike.

Where are the ones where it's tested against multiple retail games?

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  2. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    I think you won't see any difference vs normal TitanX, both or all Pascal chips in general OC max up to 2.1Ghz, usually 2 - 2.05Ghz.

3. Stickman116

GPU:
    Titan X Pascal
    Would there be a difference in performance or even temps with the full GP102 with all cores unlocked?
    Is there lower OC potential due to heat from the Additional cores?

I'm very much interested in the real world benches this thing can produce.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  4. PowerK

PowerK Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 FE
    From what I've seen, full chip Titan Xp produces higher temp compared to Titan X Pascal (2016). However, the new Titan Xp has higher temp limit (96C) and slightly better stock cooling (removal of DVI port).

Clock for clock, the full chip Titan Xp performance roughly ~10% better than old Titan X Pascal (2016), thanks to full featured CUDA cores. (3840 vs. 3584)
    That being said, both Titan Xs really shine when under water. Stock cooling just doesn't justify its performance, IMO.

5. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    The Titan Xp has 256 more CUDA cores and 1 GHz faster memory, right, and I've read that it will be in general 5% faster (I think JayZTwoCents said as much in his Titan Xp "rant" video) although he may have been referring to the 1080 Ti rather than the original Titan XP(ascal).

What is it with NVIDIA and their stupid naming? Why call this new card Xp when everyone was already calling the original XP to differentiate from the card before that which was also called the Titan X!!! It's just so dumb and shows a complete lack of imagination when it comes to naming their cards. I suppose Xp could be read as Xp(lus) but why not actually call it Titan X+ so that it clearly a different card from the previous one?

6. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Shader count differs about 7%, that's the best of gains you could get out of this card compared to the old Titan. Deduct any troubles with heat dissipation you might encounter due to bigger die size, and you should also get towards the 5% gain, give or take.

7. Stickman116

GPU:
    Titan X Pascal
    One week and no real reviews online. I find this a little strange.

8. Angrycrab

Angrycrab Guest

GPU:
    Titan XP EVGA Hybrid Kit
    This video should give you an Idea of some sort,and from the looks of It the difference In gaming performance Is negligible.

Personally I think It's not worth the upgrade, If I didn't have my Titan XP I would have gone with the 1080Ti Instead.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  9. Stickman116

GPU:
    Titan X Pascal
    Thanks for that. It does look negligible in this case. I wonder if the additional specs provide benefits in other aspects beyond gaming.

10. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Not sure I would put much stock in that benchmark. The Titan Xp for some reason was using less VRAM than the 1080 Ti throughout the entire video, and the 1080 Ti had significantly higher framerates than the Titan Xp in some parts as well.

Not all sure what that means, but it seems very odd. I think we should wait until professional reviewers get their hands on it, so they can test more games and with better methodology.

11. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    First off, that guy does more 'side by sides' than anyone else out there so I am not sure what a 'professional' is going to bring to the table. If you mean someone who is going to show the Xp being 15% faster instead of 5, I wouldn't hold your breath.

The Xp edges the Ti out for pretty much the whole test by ~5%, I don't know what it is that you were expecting, but that looks right to me.

The drops are not significant (and no doubt explainable), the Xp is clearly faster.

12. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    I'm not necessarily blaming him. I'm just saying there are obvious discrepancies with the benchmarks. How on Earth do you explain the GTX 1080 Ti using more VRAM?

The only actual written review I've seen that would give an indication of gaming performance is the Hothardware review of the Quadro P6000, which ha the full GP102 die like the Titan Xp, but twice as much VRAM and less bandwidth.

Here the Quadro P6000 is 17% faster than the Titan X Pascal. The Titan Xp would be even faster as it has over 100GB/s more bandwidth than the Quadro P6000.

So basically, I think it will be game dependent. In games that are heavily shader bound, the difference will be around 7% or so. But in games that use lots of bandwidth, then the difference will be greater.

[​IMG]

13. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    There could be many factors at play with the VRAM usage but I don't see the Titan Xp pulling that far ahead in all honesty (~7% best case would be my guess), regardless of the game.

We need to see Titan Xp results, not P6000 results, no matter how similar they may be, they are not the same card.

(I know they are the same die etc, but I prefer a proper apples to apples comparison for the purposes of this discussion, I point this out because I don't want to appear as though I am nitpicking for the sake of it ;) )

14. PowerK

PowerK Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 FE
    Die size is the same.

15. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    GTAV can be borderline 4K'd by a 980Ti.

This one from Random Gamer Dude is probably the most valid and...well...only one I've seen.

The Titan XP 2016 was a major leap over the 1080, and for those who want their frames, it was just about justified in terms of the premium if not exactly 'value for money'.

This one is a joke. It will literally give an extra 5fps over a card that's £500 cheaper. I'm not sure why Nvidia released this at all.

16. Angrycrab

Angrycrab Guest

GPU:
    Titan XP EVGA Hybrid Kit
    Exactly, you could say that this Is the updated version of the TitanXP with a slight bump to the cores and better cooling, faster memory, yet It's still not worth the purchase now that a 700$ card Is released & performs almost the same In gaming. We can conclude that Nvidia released this card now just to keep the Titan Brand on top & faster overall on paper.

17. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    First real Titan Xp review by a professional reviewer:

The website is Gamers Nexus. I would link to it, but it appears this websites is blocked by Guru3D as it's not allowing the link.

Sniper Elite 4 was the biggest performance gain at 15% vs the 1080 Ti reference model. This is an outlier however, as the other games varied wildly in their performance gains from less than 1% in AotS (clearly the cards were CPU limited), to 9.5% in For Honor at 4K.

*Edit* he uploaded a YouTube video for the review as well:

Titan Xp vs 1080 Ti

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
  18. kruziikdova

kruziikdova Guest

GPU:
    NVidia GeForce GTX 920m