Killed a 6950X....

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by anxious_f0x, Feb 14, 2017.

1. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    PC is back up and running now, see long it lasts :D

2. schoolofmonkey

schoolofmonkey Master Guru

GPU:
    Galax 4090
    Wow, I was googling about the same thing, must of missed the thread when I was looking here to begin with.

I had the exact same thing happen, latest 1401 BIOS, just finished playing Resident Evil 7 had to goto the store, got back my machine was shutdown, LED's still on, tried turning it back on, nothing, cleared cmos, nothing, did a BIOS flashback turning on long enough to see a Q-Code 00, then powered off, never to power on again.
    Sent both the 6900k and Strix for RMA, they tested the Strix first which was dead, and sent the old CPU and brand new board back.
    Setup machine, instant Q-Code 00, cpu was dead (by this point I'd bought a new PSU to rule out my 2 year old Seasonic XP1200 Platinum).
    Sent both for RMA again, dead CPU, new motherboard fine.

I'm guessing the Strix killed itself and the CPU.
    I'm babying the machine bigtime now, not even a proper overclock (4Ghz XMP with some voltage lowering/tweaking).
    The fist kit lasted 8 months (bought from release date), I really hope this lasts longer, but from what I've read some die withing a few days, some last as long as my first one did.

Sure as hell can't be without a machine for over a month again though, costed me a $5000 contract.

I have 1/2 a mind to sell this and get a Ryzen 1800x setup.

The one thing I have noticed about these boards is the VRM's idle temps are really high, mine were idling at 66c on the old board and the same with the new board.
    I once saw them hit 80c during a stress test.
    Now I have a fan blowing directly on them and they idle around 50c, maxing out at 60c, I don't know if that has anything to do with why these boards are dying.

3. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    Same bios version I'm on also, really is strange, first time I've had a cpu die like that, so far though I've no trouble but I still don't trust this board.

4. schoolofmonkey

schoolofmonkey Master Guru

GPU:
    Galax 4090
    That's exactly how I feel.
    Yesterday I reapplied the thermal compound, nothing else, didn't bump anything, didn't move the cpu or open the clasp.
    First boot I got the message new CPU detected, Huh WTF, I've been running this with a OC for 4 days.
    Went into BIOS loaded my saved profile, rebooted, Q-Code bf, ram not detected, WTF, powered off tried again, same thing.
    Pressed the RAM ok button, machine started with went into BIOS, tried setting the RAM's XMP profile.
    Saved, rebooted, q-code bf, by now I'm rather annoyed.

Mem ok, back into BIOS, loaded optimal defaults, restarted, machine booted fine.
    Went back into BIOS loaded previous profile, all was fine again other than it set the rams timings wrong (easy fix).

That was a "what the hell" moment.

It was then I decided to cut my losses and sell the CPU/Motherboard, going to just get a 7700k/Hero setup until Skylake-X drops then give my wife the 7700k (her machine is on the way out anyway).
    Just going to reuse my x99 ram kit in the 7700k setup.

When Skylake-X gets here I'm not going to get anything but a Rampage (if it's still called that), doesn't seem like anyone has had problems with them.

5. lexer98

lexer98 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070 - WC
    The problem is the motherboard (read my previous post) just get a Asrock board on X99 they are rock solid :)

6. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    Thinking I'll probably look at changing boards this week, had an issue over the weekend where it crashed, got stuck in a loop of rebooting then gave me the good old 'overclocking failed' message, after entering the BIOS and just quitting without saving it did then boot into windows but I really don't trust it one bit.

7. Driller_au

Driller_au Member Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Airo
    Lets turn this into a "i hate ROG STRIX X99" thread
    Got home from 2 wks away for work no one has started my machine, go to turn it on and get a b6 error code cannot clear cmos until i remove the battery, machine boots and i find my D1 dimm slot has died
    Now the RMA fun begin

EDIT: OK to be fair i fixed the problem, with some research i found a small post that talked about x99 dead dimm slots and the fix was to increase the CPU voltage and system agent voltage.
    So i just enabled xmp and i had all slots working again than i disabled xmp and still had all slots working, i will just have to play with the voltages to get it stable
    Hope this helps some one in the future

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  8. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    That's a strange issue, glad you got it resolved.

These boards really do seem to a variety of strange issues that I've never encountered before, it's been solid this week though, no problems to speak of, just hope it stays that way!

9. Driller_au

Driller_au Member Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Airo
    There is a new bios out 1504,haven't tried it yet probably will later today (i am a sucker for punishment)

STRIX X99 GAMING BIOS 1504
    1.Improve system performance
    2.Add in turn-off function of LED under S3/S4/S5 status.
    3.Fixed Samsung device (SM961, printer) issues.

10. Odellot

Odellot Guest

GPU:
    TUF RTX 4090 FO48U
    My Strix x99 is three months old now and still going strong..The Third 6950x I got is still going strong too. So the X99 Deluxe is the culprit that killed the two 6950X...

11. martin778

martin778 Guest

GPU:
    G.Skill 4x8GB 3200MHz C14
    Hi guys, I just registered to tell you that my 6950X also died yesterday and on a similar board - on X99 Deluxe U3.1

It ran either 4.2GHz <1.3V on custom LC but mostly just on stock/XMP and yet it died. Both the board and the CPU were bought new in may/june 2016.
    It started months ago with random shutdowns, freezes, BSODs en got worse and worse with the time. Since yesterday only Q-code 00 / CPU_LED.

I wish it was an April Fools joke but it isn't, lapped CPU so no warranty for that one :wanker:
    Surely not buying anything on X99 anymore now, I always had ASUS boards and Intel CPU's as these were (in my opinion) the most reliable combo but I think I will turn to Ryzen soon now.
    I now have to RMA a board that I'm sure I won't be using anymore.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
  12. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Man i freak out every time i read this kind of stories about expensive hardware dying just like that even if it has nothing to do with me...

Better luck next time to all the unlucky Gurus.

13. martin778

martin778 Guest

GPU:
    When I saw that CPU_LED glowing i started sweating. I've never ever had a CPU die before and I had many of them, from Athlon XP's to i7's.
    Can't be anything other than the board. Honestly this time ASUS should accept an RMA including the CPU this time, investigate the case and replace both as it's not Intel's fault ASUS can't design their X99 VRMs properly.

14. martin778

martin778 Guest

GPU:
    Well, could be both. Anyway in 2014 you could read about x99 deluxes VRM blowing up combined with Corsair PSU's already and then things got quiet. The thing is - I don't have a Corsair PSU and my board is from 2016, not 2014.

I don't know who is in charge of QC at ASUS but they need to step up their game, the latest X99 Deluxe BIOS made my VRM's idle at bloody 50*C on stock voltages and I'm not the only one with this issue :bang:

Not only the Deluxe seems to be randomly killing CPU's, also the X99A and R5E.
    It looks like there is either a design flaw or faulty VRM management and seeing 50*C idle temps on the VRM's after the latest BIOS update (the VRMs ran much cooler on the older bios) tells me enough that they know what the problem is and are trying to solve it through firmware, otherwise they wouldn't touch it.

It's time they admit what's wrong with their X99's boards and stop covering up the issue.
    I've already tried the BIOS Flashback feature to the previous version, it seemed to have finished succesfully but it's still stuck on 00.

I just tried the board without the CPU and it does the same - code 00 / cpu led right after start. The CPU stays stone cold, I wonder if both the CPU and MB are dead.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
  15. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    Power supply is fine, after the CPU replacement I've had zero issues. :)

Sorry to hear, was sweating a bit when I saw the CPU led and code 00 also, never want to see that again!

As for the boards being the problem i'm not 100% convinced anymore as after the CPU replacement I've had no issues with mine.

Still plenty of time for it to die I guess, I haven't updated to the latest BIOS as while it's working i'd rather not give it any reason to break :D

16. martin778

martin778 Guest

GPU:
    I don't think it's the CPU's fault, otherwise you'd read much more on dead BW-E /HW-E CPU's on other manufacturers boards :(

17. Odellot

Odellot Guest

GPU:
    TUF RTX 4090 FO48U
    My Thoughts exactly..

Having three 6950x and the first two died because of the Motherboard, My third 6950x still alive after 4 months..

Still nervous that one day I will be greeted by the dreaded Red CPU Led of Death with Code 00..:D

18. martin778

martin778 Guest

GPU:
    I am kinda amazed that you didn't sell that board right away after it came from RMA for the first time ;)

I'm going to RMA mine anyway but when it comes back it goes for sale immideately.

19. Odellot

Odellot Guest

GPU:
    TUF RTX 4090 FO48U
    I didn't think it was the Motherboard's fault..I was using Asus X99 Deluxe non 3.1..

Tested with a 6850K and 5820k and both was fine and alive while I was waiting for the replacement 6950x..

I am now using X99 Strix and still going strong for more than 4 months now..

20. martin778

martin778 Guest

GPU:
    They are the same, the only difference being the U3.1 has an additional USB3.1 card included in the box ;)

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017