AMD FreeSync will be adopted by VESA

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 8, 2014.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    As you guys know AMD announced a competitive and may I say very cheap solution to tackle Nvidia's Gsync recently, it goes under the name FreeSync. The problem thus far is that monitors need to suppor...

AMD FreeSync will be adopted by VESA

2. shymi

shymi Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070
    So at first glance AMD is one step ahead of Nvidia in this, although it would be interesting to see the pros and cons for the two technologies.

3. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    So basically everyone that already owns a monitor/HDTV and has it connected to their discrete gpu is out of luck for enjoying either FreeSync or G-Sync. Correct?

Or did I miss something?

4. DarkKnightDude

DarkKnightDude Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX770 4 GB OC
    Regardless of whoever implements this first, I'll be glad to see things like screen tearing gone. But this will take awhile. I was thinking about buying a GSync monitor but now I'm probably just going to wait and see how Free does first.

5. ASLayerAODsk

ASLayerAODsk Guest

GPU:
    MSI 580 8G
    arg! display port is limited to 60hz :p
    aka youll never get more than 60fps :p
    my current moniter does up to 72hz...blah.
    hence why I do NOT use DP but HDMI. :p

6. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I don't think it's really true.

7. Fierce Guppy

Fierce Guppy Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 (10GB)
    Yes.

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/AMD-Variable-Refresh-FreeSync-Could-Be-Alternative-NVIDIA-G-Sync
    "All that is needed for this to work, as AMD explained it, was an eDP connection between the discrete GPU and the display, a controller for the screen that understands the variable refresh rate methods of eDP 1.0 specifications and an updated AMD driver to properly send it the signals. The panel can communicate that it supports this variable refresh technology to the graphics card through the EDID as resolutions and timings are communicated today and then the graphics driver would know to send the varying vblank signals to adjust panel refresh times on the fly."

Laptop displays use an eDP connection, but existing desktop monitors do not. There's a scalar chip inside desktop monitors and it doesn't do dynamic v-sync which is why Freesync was demoed on a laptop. I'm fairly sure HDTVs are in the same boat with desktop monitors.

My question is: Do all modern laptops support ePD 1.0 and above and, if so, why doesn't nVidia include support for dynamic v-sync in their drivers? I mean, I can run BF4 on my laptop which has a GTX 675MX. With dynamic v-sync I could increase the detail settings and the game would still appear to run smooth.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  8. ASLayerAODsk

ASLayerAODsk Guest

GPU:
    MSI 580 8G
    why wouldn't you think its true? that it can only do 60hz in its current level...

9. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock

Huum, well im not sure, but eDP connected monitor ( mainly laptop and mobile phone, tablet ) had allready the dynamic v-blank control, as it is used for reduce power usage of the monitor.

Now Vesa applied the "dynamic v-blank" to DP 1.2a as standard.. this is by software, you dont need a scalar chip .. Basically a new parameter is taking in account by the monitor software: it can ignore the timing of the v-sync ( i should say v-blank ), and let it controlled by the GPU driver.

The only thing is doing this vesa appliccations is add a new parameter in the actual 1.2a compliance: " MSA timing parameter Ignore" .. ( and not 1.3 as it was mentionned early in some article ) .

This is the assesment deposed by AMD to VESA compliance. and added in DP1.2a compliance.
    Now, does it need a firmware update ? or a driver monitor update, can it applied to exisiting monitor, HDTV ? .. i dont know.. we will need to wait more.

Something is sure, we can maybe expect any monitor in the future will got this function added, without any additional cost. Or monitor / TV manufacturers can improve and use this feature on their own for their panels.

10. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    I have 144hz running on my DP.

11. ASLayerAODsk

ASLayerAODsk Guest

GPU:
    MSI 580 8G
    hmm...i couldnt get mine to go higher than 60hz @ 2560x1080

12. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    I dont think there's any limitation on the DP standard...

Now this can come from the manufacturer of the monitor limitation..

There's many 144-120hz monitor out, who use DP and they do 120-144hz on DP port .. DisplayPort should be the most advanced connection today over DVI and HDMI .. and you can even do 120hz on DVI ( ask peoples with QNIX 27" PLS panel ), i dont see why you will not been able to do it on DP...

Now, for the eDP demonstration of Free-sync, 60hz was because the laptop panel used for the demonstration had a max 60hz timing. ( like if you buy a 60hz 1920x1080p panel, outside overclocking it (if possible ), you cant set an higher v-sync of 60hz ( fixed by the manufacturer ).

13. ASLayerAODsk

ASLayerAODsk Guest

GPU:
    MSI 580 8G
    Im using an Asus PB298Q which can do up to 72hz...and when I had the DP in...it wouldnt detect any more than 60hz...@ 2560x1080.
    :p

14. JulianBr

JulianBr Member

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT
    Diplayport is better

"DisplayPort has slightly more bandwidth at 21.6 Gbit/s (17.28 Gbit/s with overhead removed) as opposed to HDMI 2.0's 18 Gbit/s"

Displayport does support 120hz ++ (running @120hz right now (1080P).

HDMI 1.4 is even slower with 10.2 Gbit/s ..

Diplayport has also alot of other advantages over HDMI. :)

15. ASLayerAODsk

ASLayerAODsk Guest

GPU:
    MSI 580 8G
    grr..now im wondering what I am doing wrong..and why I couldnt get DP to go up to 72hz...:p

I have a R9-280x..so its not like I have crap hardware..or outdated....

16. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    That's a problem with your monitor, not the Display Port standard.

17. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    Dont worry about it, its a limitation on the panel software or EDID, not all PLS panel can be overclocked...

I can set mine 27" PLS at 85hz, open the game choose 85hz, play and i can see that im at 85hz, but suddenly after 5minutes , a short blink, and it revert to 60hz.

18. ASLayerAODsk

ASLayerAODsk Guest

GPU:
    MSI 580 8G
    so its my moniter that cant handle it then?

Im not quite well versed in moniters...yet :)

19. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    60 Hz here at 1440p

20. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    I think this is the case yes. ( well i dont know much this particular monitor too )