Eye strain concerns/TV backlighting

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by Rumpus01, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Rumpus01

Rumpus01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1060 3GB
    I recently inherited a 40" 1080p Samsung HDTV, and it has a wonderful picture, but I hear a lot about people getting eye strain. I sit about 10 feet away from it when using it as a monitor.

I've set the windows 7 display size to 138% larger than normal, and made all text sizes bigger (14 pt) and made them all bold as well (bold really helps).

I don't want to damage my eyes, so what do you guys think about this? I have the brightness level at about 40-46, but the internal backlighting of the tv is really the brightest part about it. I usually keep it on level 1 at night and about 5 or 6 during the day.

I currently have a lamp shining behind it at night so there's light behind the actual TV (not talking actual internal backlighting now), but I want something that's more legitimate. I was thinking about rigging up a molex adapter and getting 4 12" cathodes to put on the wall behind the screen, with a nice warm blue color to make viewing even more pleasurable.

Does anyone have cheap suggestions on how to do this or any actual products focusing on TV backlighting? I've seen some lighting online, but it's usually way too expensive when I could do a janky solution.

I also tried out some different windows 7 themes to turn as much white space into black, but it typically comes out glitchy for certain applications, and hence very inconvenient. If anyone has encountered any good themes for HDTVs as well, that'd be great to hear about.

Thanks.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  2. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Turn down your contrast.(Too much glaring white burns your eyes)
    Get a smaller screen.
    Sit further away.

These 3 are the most common problems that cause eye strain.

3. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    If you dont get any eye strain problems, you dont need to do anything.
    I use a 42" Plasma from less than 2 metres away with no backlighting in a dark room and dont have any issues.
    Everyone is different so stick with what works for you.

Be careful not to put the blame on the wrong thing if you do get some strain.
    If for example, you start using the new setup more than you were before, it may take your eyes a while to adjust to the extra use.
    Know when to give yourself a rest.

4. perparker

perparker Active Member

GPU:
    gtx 570

5. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
  6. avivoni

avivoni Ancient Guru

GPU:
    560ti 448 classified
    lolz that looks and sounds too much like the HDvision glasses that where once announced on tv for a while. watch the world in hd lol, and remember to get the snuggie while you are at it. :eyes:

Last edited: Aug 20, 2011
  7. blinx

blinx Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus 680
    I get eye strain when am close enough to see the pixels I moved back until I can't see the pixel and everythings fine I sit about 2 feet from a 47" tv all day no problem

8. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI