Trying to justify CPU/MOBO upgrade

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by riot83, Feb 16, 2015.

1. riot83

riot83 Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 7900 XTX Nitro+
    Hello!

I've been extremely happy with my i5 2500k ever since I got it in 2011. I have it set to 4.2-4.5 ghz depending on my mood. I'm still happy with the performance in everything I do. Which is just gaming and watching movies. Since the new consoles have horrible CPU's, I'm sort of scared that I don't need to upgrade my CPU/Mobo forever.

I'm used to continually upgrading my PC parts. Since buying this PC in 2011, I've upgraded every part besides CPU, Mobo and RAM. Oh I've definitely been searching and looking to find something that would justify it, since the performance in gaming hasn't really gone up with the new processor generations, its hard.

Long story short. I'm a desperate fiend for new stuff, but it's hard to justify the price(would have to be i7 and a good motherboard) for seemingly small upgrade. Please change my view!

EDIT: Should I just look for used/new i7 for my current socket and be done with it?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
  2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Well, going from 2500k at 4.5ghz only logical choice would be 4790k or higher. Sandy is still capable and at those clocks its roughly fast as 4690k stock.

I'll say wait for skylake.

3. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Not much use in changing your system at the moment. Wait for mainstream Skylink, this will offer new stuff justifying your upgrade even if the performance is good.

4. LM2014

LM2014 Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800XT
    Wait for Skylake

New socket, 14nm, DDR4 and new arquitecture

5. riot83

riot83 Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 7900 XTX Nitro+
    Yeah I keep hearing that I should wait for Skylake, like a lot of people. The thing is I don't see Skylake and/or DDR4 doing anything special to gaming. Feels like I'll be waiting even longer than that to find a reason to upgrade.

Unless MS and Sony bring out new hardware(PS5, X2) soon, I don't see a reason to upgrade. Even when they move the current consoles to 14nm they can't make the processors much better than the current, else they're again at a point where games don't run(as good) on the older consoles(pissing off a lot of first adopters)

Edit: I don't know, as a gamer it feels like there really hasn't been or will be anything to be exited about in the PC world besides a new GFX card every once I a while. I was excited when the new consoles were announced, untill the specs came out. Was hoping they'd really bring gaming ahead, but no, poor hardware that gimps games untill next gen....

6. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    Well to be honest you're justifying a purchase thats not really a smart choice.

Your hardware will atleast bring you another 4 years of decent gaming.
    As for CPU upgrades besides maybe Zen (which might be bad for aswell we know) or Skylake there is next to nothing to wait for.

7. riot83

riot83 Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 7900 XTX Nitro+
    I know. It's sad that there hasn't been or won't be a reason to upgrade for a while.

Edit: See I used to be a tech junkie(still am, but more concervative). I'd always buy new gen stuff etc and it was always a big leap but ever since Intel came up with the Sandy Bridge(or even the gen before it) there hasn't been a reason to update. I don't know what I'm trying to ramble here.