Can't get RAM profiles right, 3570K -Please help!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by wantobe, May 19, 2017.

1. wantobe

wantobe Member Guru

GPU:
    Hi,

So I've been using 1600MHZ Kingston RAM for years now KHX1600C9D3K2/8GX and just the other day I realized that I a slightly faster clocked sticks in my work PC KHX1866C9D3K2/8GX, decided to swap them.
    So the problem is that in my home PC with my new RAM when I go to BIOS and select ANY (XMP Profile 1 or Profile 2 or even Disable) my PC boots into 1600Hhz but with timings of 8-10-8-24 which are for 1658Mhz, but CPU-ID shows 800. Then I tried adjusting timings manually to 9-11-9-27 (as they should be with 1866) but nothing changes. If I disable XMP profile it still shows 1600 8-10-8-24.
    What am I missing/doing wrong? Many many thanks for your answers!

Ps. Tried running AIDA64 memory bencharks with different options, always same result with negligible differences.

Motherboard GA-Z77X-UP4 TH, 3570K clocked to 4.5Ghz

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 19, 2017
  2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Dont you have an option to set system memory multiplier? Set it to 1866 then set the timings manually. You'll also have to change the voltage (if its needed).

Thats only if you have problems with xmp profiles.

3. wantobe

wantobe Member Guru

GPU:
    Oh yes I tried setting the memory multiplier to 1866 as well as 2133 but it seems like the changes just do won't apply. Maybe reset bios, OC ram and then OC CPU? But I remember an advise to OC CPU and then go to RAM. Any thoughts?

Last edited: May 19, 2017
  4. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Uh that program is reading stored profile for XMP.

Of course it won't change.

As for bios settings, better do manual timings and set timings accordingly.

As always make sure bios is up-to-date.

BTW gigabyte bios is pretty confusing compared to ASUS or other brands, you may look up a guide on how to do it properly.

5. wantobe

wantobe Member Guru

GPU:
    I mean it shows in CPU ID memory section. I just took this picture to add more info. And did benchmarks with different settings and there was no difference. I had an idea it something very odd when google couldn't offer any remotely relevant issues. I guess Ill have to try to reset bios and get from there.

6. wantobe

wantobe Member Guru

GPU:
    So tried reseting BIOS settings and on default settings while BIOS default setting is showing 1333 but in system monitor it still shows 1600 and same timings. I am pulling my hair at this point. I don't think I know anything else I could try if anyone can give any advice I would really appreciate it.
    Also tried setting ram voltage to 1.000v just to see if anything happens and it guess what, butted up with its own brain of 1.65v on disabled xmp profile.
    P.s. latest firmware installed.

7. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
  8. wantobe

wantobe Member Guru

GPU:
    After fruitless fiddling last night, this morning I finally succeeded. Believe it or not, but nothing in my bios settings worked, I changed OC down to stock but when I boot up it shows same 4.5Ghz. In case anyone is itching to ask if I saved BIOS settings, yes I did :). After that I took the battery for a longer this time, and then PC finally booted to stock settings and I managed to adjust the memory speed. Sorry for desperate spam posts, but that was crazy, never had an issue like that.

9. Hammie

Hammie Banned

GPU:
    760 SMG 28"
    Glad you got it sorted out. Usually you want to go Manual not XMP. Its always best to get your RAM straight, then work on your CPU OC. good job sorting it out!