GTX 570 - SLI or wait?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Ares640, Nov 23, 2012.

1. Ares640

Ares640 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 570 TFIII PE/OC
    I am trying to decide if I should pick up a second GTX 570, or wait another year and replace it with a new gen model. I have been looking at benchmarks, and in most games it scales very well (80-90% in a lot of cases). I am not having frame rate issues or anything, I am just trying to ensure that in a year or two I will still be able to run new games on high-ultra settings at 1080p.

At the moment, the cheapest GTX 570 I can find is a MSI TF2 for $230, which is not terribly expensive. I built my rig fully capable of adding a second 570, so all I need to decide is if it is worth it or not.

Add a second 570 for around $250, or wait a year and buy a new one for $400?

Also, as I have never ran SLI before, is there anything I should be aware of in running two different brands of gpu? MSI Twin Frozr 2 vs 3 for example, or another brand name entirely? I assume the TF3 will clock down to the TF2 on default, and then I can OC them both together if I want to?

2. Nano2k

Nano2k Guest

GPU:
    RTX2080TI
    I did 570 Sli about a year ago and still very happy with it at 1920x1080. I would say go for it. Nothing special to do, just install the card and activate Sli in the Nvidia control panel (seems you have to do it after each new driver install too).

3. Gazebo

Gazebo Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4070
    I'd wait. Especially after all these years reading forums, seeing numerous posts about issues with crossfire/sli.

4. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    Get a used one for $120-60,not worth the bother for $250.

5. Ares640

Ares640 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 570 TFIII PE/OC
    I am not buying used. Cost isn't much of an issue, I would much rather pay more for a brand new product than getting something that could die in 6 months. I'll likely buy the cheapest one I can find on Newegg.

Anyone know of a site with better prices than Newegg? Canada, but ordering from the US isn't a problem.

6. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    If you are buying a new product you should go for new gen not the old one.
    Getting a new GTX570 at the moment for that price is simply nonsense (stupid).

If you stand by what you said sell your card and get a GTX670 or something...

7. Ares640

Ares640 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 570 TFIII PE/OC
  8. brendanvista

brendanvista Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti
  9. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    nice one man, post some fps results, you getting far cry 3?

10. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Nothing wrong whatsoever with SLI, No problems with the many many nvidia drivers to choose from.

I dont know about ATI crossfire, According to users there more problematic in general to Nvidia when you have 2 cards but that is not for everyone that has an ATI card.

From what i have read i would say its 50/50 with ATI and Crossfire.
    But with Nvidia i hardly read or hear any reports of problems with SLI, Infact i dont hear or read any at all.

11. Ares640

Ares640 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 570 TFIII PE/OC
    I am indeed :) I'll get back to you with the FPS difference my new card makes.