Windows 10 & Audio

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by Dragondale13, Sep 12, 2016.

1. Dragondale13

Dragondale13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    Finally found a description:

“‘Opt-in’ dedicated audio core – option to move audio processing to dedicated processor core for improved performance”

That doesn’t imply “synthesis.” That implies the functionality that soft-sound cards offload onto the CPU. That is, the functionality a dedicated audio interface handles.

Most motherboards use some basic codec chip or Intel HD Audio (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_High_Definition_Audio) for a “sound card”. These tend to rely on the main system CPU to do at least some portion of the work:

“Technically speaking there are two ways of integrating audio on the motherboard. The most common one is using the system CPU to process audio, under a technique called HSP (Host Signal Processing), with the south bridge chip from the chipset providing the necessary interfacing circuit with the external world. The second way – which nowadays is only seen on few very high-end motherboards – is using a dedicated controller to control and process the audio and thus not using the system CPU for these tasks.” — http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/how-on-board-audio-works/2/

Thus, the feature in Win10 dedicates a CPU core to handle the data to/from the motherboard’s codec chip. This is the work that is handled by external interfaces.

As for “synthesis,” my bet is that people aren’t using audio fonts and the like much any longer. All of these plugins and stand along soft synths use the CPU directly; they are usually not accelerated by any dedicated device (unless you get into stuff like UAudio plugins).

Source : http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2...udio-midi-performance-easier-app-development/

Maybe someone can make more sense of this, thanks.

2. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    wait what... how nobody is responding to this?

its saying that windows 10 has better hardware based audio and midi support

but audio drivers have to support it. which is a fail for soundblaster and others.

one problem with current midi software and also DAW system is lag that been around for a while now.

noted in video are

Audio and MIDI in Windows 10;
    The new AKAI MPC, which runs a version of Windows 10 Embedded;
    Xi-Machines custom Windows workstations for audio;
    Obedia high-performance audio workstations;
    DAWs that are working on Windows 10;
    Windows 10 audio performance statistics;
    Propellerhead Reason on Windows 10;
    The Windows Mobile port of Propellerhead Figure;
    Image-Line FL Studio and Windows 10;
    Bitwig Studio working on Windows 10; and
    A preview of Microsoft Hololens augmented reality system and virtual reality music software.

but who knows because with VR out now. devs are working on trying to go back to hardware audio support to lower cpu usage for cpus. but so far amd is working trying to push devs to use audio support api that uses the GPU for vr audio instead of the cpu............

but as always audio drivers are crap.

just about every audio driver has issues and some sort of lag.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
  3. Dragondale13

Dragondale13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    That's what I was thinking,(the first part of your response anyway lol) just needed some confirmation so big thanks.

I was going to upgrade the Fatal1ty Champion I have now but I think I'll wait for cards built with Win10 official support in mind.Not this current generation that has to play catch up with handicapped drivers because the hardware is now inadequate to handle Windows Audio Processing.I can only imagine what the prices would be like, now that they have to match Window's 32bit sample rates, f#$%n hell.

The f*^&n OS added 32bit sample rates to my f#%^n card, literally taking complete control over it, rendering it's ability to alleviate cpu time useless.Thankfully we have people like PAX and DK to try and sort out the mess for us.God Bless them, but they can only do so much, this time around.

I'm blazing furious about this.