1080 Ti on 1080p@60 Hz and why it makes sense

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Terepin, May 30, 2017.

1. Autarch20

Autarch20 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX FE 1080
    dude, im on a GTX 1080 FE (NON ti) and a 1080p 60hz monitor is choking my system soo hard its insanity... My ASUS PG248Q broke 2 weeks ago, im stuck using my lame a55 1680x1050 DVI display for the time being and its just insane how my accuracy playing any FPS has completely diminished 5 fold on this old crappy DVI monitor. my monitor only goes up to 60hz and vsync doesnt work properly and introduces frame stutter input lag like crazy...

for example: if i play Ghost recon Wildlands, with all settings on very high at 2xdsr (2715x1527), with vsync off ill get up to 80-90FPS and it will never dip below 64 fps. WITH VSYNC ON, it stays at 59-60fps but then ill see it very quickly drop to about 52fps and go back to 59-60fps- ABSOLUTELY effin horrid.....the ONLY GAMES i have no problem with vsync enabled on is stuff that is about 2 years old with the exception of Rise of the Tomb Raider and Forza horizon 3 (some reason, these two xbox/windows games run fine with VSYNc ON and believe it or not FH3 can do 3360x2100 @ SOLID 60fps with no dips at all with all settings on ultimate over my DVI connection! WOW

proof here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4ulknEbgfQ

^^^^^ This is nice and all but man oh man, do i wish i had another 400$ to shell out on another Gsync 180hz monitor... I miss it soo fkn bad
    simple answer, VSYNC 60FPS SUCKS AND SWALLOWS... HARD

2. Monstieur

Monstieur Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA
    1080 Ti SLI is reuquired for a stable 1080p 144+ Hz. I have 1080 SLI and a 240 Hz monitor and its too slow. It's very jarring when the game drops from 144+ fps to even 80 fps.

3. adabiviak

adabiviak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980Ti
    As these posts attest, it depends on the games one plays, and the expectations one has for performance. I would rather drop the video resolution/options a click if it meant the difference between 30FPS and 60FPS, where other players aren't. I'm also comfortable at anything over maybe 45FPS, where some players are not.

I have a 165Hz G-Sync monitor, and as has been mentioned, it's a game changer. Borderlands 2 is almost exclusively what I play, and I have most (not all) the eye candy turned on (including maxed Physx), and it plays like a dream, regularly pegging 165FPS. Without G-Sync, I think I've seen it peg out at, what, 600? G-Sync is totally worth the "lower" framerates though: giving games the headroom to reach for 165FPS, but not otherwise noticing the dips to lower but otherwise acceptable frame rates when various engine vagaries present themselves gives me more flexibility in the graphic options.

I think the new Doom might be the most taxing game I own, but it's got Id's weird framerate limits, so it rarely drops below 60FPS anyway. Maybe the new Prey? Still runs fantastic.

4. Shataan

Shataan Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4090ti
    If you have a 1080p display, just max out the DSR.... until you can afford to upgrade to an UltraWide.

5. Dragondale13

Dragondale13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    1080Ti on a 60hz only display doesn't make sense to me.The monitor itself isn't designed for fluctuations in the stream, it will stutter.If it was equipped with G-Sync or FreeSync tech then I'd agree with that combo.

6. Miken420

Miken420 Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti FE
    I'm liking it on a 144hz G-Sync monitor with FPS capped at 60 via Precision XOC.

It seems really really smooth with none of that input lag you get with vsync, and the 60 fps framerate cap leaves plenty of headroom for loading in assets and big scenes.